New Manager

555 posts
User avatar
Uke
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 24971
Joined: 17 Apr 2004 16:24
Location: Pretentious, Moi? @UkeRFC

Re: New Manager

by Uke » 07 Dec 2018 01:05

Crowbar6753 wrote:Very underwhelmed if Bruce gets the job, however i can see why he is highly rated and would have the ability to keep us out of trouble. However i'm not sure how he would fit into the "Reading Way" of things and working with a small budget.

This is where i would like to take a risk with maybe some of the up and coming manager options such as the names being quoted on here like the Luton, Lincoln, Wycombe managers whom you think would leap at the challenge of a championship club and seems to fit the "Reading Way" approach but as said, they do come will a risk and it would be a gamble.

Must admit, i am warming to the give "Scott Marshall" 5 games to see what he can produce? he seems to be doing a remarkable job with the U23s and it would fit into the bringing youth through the ranks idea!! and maybe this would be the new "Reading Way" of moving forward.

I was a Clement in supporter and was really shocked, to be honest, now i don't know what to think? Nigel Howe has come back in and really shock things up which is good, so i really hope they can get this next appointment spot on as the club really needs to settle down now and stabilize itself.


His one job is survival in the Championship

If he fails to be the “Reading Way” then we can deal with that later

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4749
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: New Manager

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Dec 2018 01:46

Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
Stam - 98 false third and master of his own demise
McDermott - 30 totally shafted and treated with no respect
Clarke - 53 never committed and made to look good by a Blackman purple patch
Adkins - 80 ruined by the Russian shyster's lack of support
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

I give the new guy between 15 and 40 games before he's sacked.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 3818
Joined: 13 Apr 2004 23:24
Location: Relocation to Surrey completed

Re: New Manager

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Dec 2018 04:14

Brain Traysers wrote:
Zip wrote:
Brain Traysers wrote:
Really surprised by the calls for Bruce. Reshapes teams by spending tonnes wherever he goes (figures in €s from TransferMarkt)
09/10 - Sunderland - 13th in Prem. Gross spend €46m, net €25m.
10/11 - Sunderland - 10th in Prem. Gross €29m net -€13m (sold Darren Bent for €22m).
11/12 - Sunderland - sacked when 17th in November 2011. Gross €28m, net €2m.
12/13 - Hull - 2nd in Champ. Gross €8.5m net €8.5m.
13/14 - Hull - 16th in the Prem. Gross €31m, net €30m.
14/15 - Hull - 18th in Prem - relegated. Gross €48m, net €30m.
15/16 - Hull - 4th in Championship - promoted via playoffs. Gross €11.5m, net -€24m.
16/17 - Villa - Hired in October, finished 13th. January window gross €23m, net €4m (on top of summer window of €62m gross spend, €25m net under Di Matteo).
17/18 - Villa - 4th - lost in Play off final. Gross €3m, net -€15m.
18/19 - Villa - Sacked in October (12th in table) €8m, net -€8m.

Total gross spend of €236m over 10 seasons although a net spend of €40m. Doesn't take into account loans fees or wages - e.g. Abraham, Snodgrass and Terry in recent years. By comparison we are at gross of €59m and net of -€10m over the same 10 seasons.

We don't have that kind of money to pay fees or wages, nor to we have assets to sell for money to reinvest. as he has done at other clubs. Terrible fit in my opinion.


I don’t think those stats are too bad especially as he has spent much of the time managing bigger clubs than us and often in the top flight. Therefore you really can’t compare our net spend with the net spend at the club’s he has managed.


To me it shows he has achieved average results at big clubs with a lot of spending (2 promotions, 1 playoff loss, 2 relegations). Taking established mid table in prem Sunderland down and failing to get Villa up with a budget way above anyone else in the league is not an impressive record. In only 3 of those 10 seasons he finished higher than the previous season (or where he took over), and 2 of those followed a promotion...

What would he do with no money to spend?


Why are you and others convinced our new manager will have no money to spend?

While fair play restrictions will have to be adhered to, our billionaire owners will find a way to give the new man a budget for the transfer window even if it means selling Moore.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4117
Joined: 23 Nov 2005 01:55

Re: New Manager

by Jackson Corner » 07 Dec 2018 05:05

Remember eight years ago a ding manager was sacked. A tempory one was put in charge we were near the foot of the table. We were away to a footballing giant in the third round of the cup. Could history repeat itself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFDbk6DH7YY

User avatar
alderdude
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: 14 Oct 2005 19:50
Location: Reading

Re: New Manager

by alderdude » 07 Dec 2018 06:30

Luis Castro (current Porto B manager) now listed as favorite through odds checker. Only a couple of bookies listed as giving prices on him, with sky bet listed as 11/10 and bet Victor listed as 7/4. Dont know anything about the guy, but it seems interesting a reletively unknown quantity coming in at a price that short. Could be something to this one.


quickwingerswife
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: 24 Sep 2014 10:03
Location: Lambourn

Re: New Manager

by quickwingerswife » 07 Dec 2018 06:46

Scott Marshal for me. Players are raving about his game management style.

Please not that miserable Hughes. Or that up and under Bruce. They won’t put arses on seats.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11867
Joined: 01 Oct 2008 18:25
Location: WE ARE NOT YOUR KIND

Re: New Manager

by sandman » 07 Dec 2018 06:49

Pandoras Box wrote:Just love the ambition of RFC supporters.
It seems that our ideal prospects are
1) managers unsuccessful and struggling in the Prem.
2) managers struggling with teams at the bottom of the championship
3) ex RFC players, irrespective of experience and may be the same as 2)
4) anyone else that’s out of a job due to being unsuccessful elsewhere (and usually a journeyman with many unsuccessful stints behind them).

Where do you think we’ll be in two years time with Steve Bruce, Grayson or if McCarthy was available ffs? (if they last that long)
And all they’ll do once again, is bring in their own team that lasts about a year and never becomes a solid unit.
I say take a gamble. Scott Marshall with his young u23s and let them build a team together for a few years or try someone unknown to the EFL like this geezer Castro, could be good, could be bad but at least its an unknown unlike SB and the like.


I don't think Nigel Howe's ambition for selecting a new manager stretch any further than those of the fans.

Would be surprised if he had the imagination to make an appointment like Castro.

User avatar
Armadillo Roadkill
Member
Posts: 756
Joined: 03 Nov 2007 20:47
Location: In a zone of great calm

Re: New Manager

by Armadillo Roadkill » 07 Dec 2018 08:52

sandman wrote:
Pandoras Box wrote:Just love the ambition of RFC supporters.
It seems that our ideal prospects are
1) managers unsuccessful and struggling in the Prem.
2) managers struggling with teams at the bottom of the championship
3) ex RFC players, irrespective of experience and may be the same as 2)
4) anyone else that’s out of a job due to being unsuccessful elsewhere (and usually a journeyman with many unsuccessful stints behind them).

Where do you think we’ll be in two years time with Steve Bruce, Grayson or if McCarthy was available ffs? (if they last that long)
And all they’ll do once again, is bring in their own team that lasts about a year and never becomes a solid unit.
I say take a gamble. Scott Marshall with his young u23s and let them build a team together for a few years or try someone unknown to the EFL like this geezer Castro, could be good, could be bad but at least its an unknown unlike SB and the like.


I don't think Nigel Howe's ambition for selecting a new manager stretch any further than those of the fans.

Would be surprised if he had the imagination to make an appointment like Castro.


Don't think it would be Howe who identifies the target - would be Director of Football, maybe that scouting agency that was mentioned when the Thais were in charge, maybe manager's agents all over Europe find out there's a vacancy and start putting forward candidates.

For me: an internal appointment or a young and ambitious technocrat. No saggy faced perennial losers (see three of the four categories above by PB - truly a depressing way to replace Clement).

User avatar
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11506
Joined: 05 Jun 2013 13:25
Location: proverbs 26:11

Re: New Manager

by stealthpapes » 07 Dec 2018 08:57

Snowflake Royal wrote:
genome wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:I'm passed caring if we make another poor appointment.


This sacking has broken you, hasn't it?

I was enjoying this season and liked Clement, I was contentedly resigned to relegation being a real possibility.

So what do we do? Tear down the partial rebuild and start again, one step forward - three steps back.

Reading used to mean a better way of doing things. We might as well be oxf*rd Leeds these days. Or QPR. Or Sunderland. Or Pompey.

Image


User avatar
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 11394
Joined: 13 Apr 2004 22:39
Location: Sorry Jaap, even I now think you have lost the plot.

Re: New Manager

by RoyalBlue » 07 Dec 2018 08:59

windermereROYAL wrote:I`m with Ian on this, so called bad manager the hordes of brain deads on social media howling for change. like by magic everything will come good at the drop of a hat. the last 5 managers haven`t done it, why the hell should anyone new be any different?
It has been without a doubt better than when Stam was here, that`s not saying much I know but what does sacking managers all the time achieve?
Clement stated he needed 3 transfer windows, he got 1.



And made a pretty poor job of that. Talked about the type of player he wanted, claimed to have signed them in that mould and then didn't play them. Despite plenty of decent keepers out there, and the fact it should be easier to get a second choice keeper to move, signed someone who he knew and who is struggling even to be second choice when up against two other average keepers.

User avatar
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11506
Joined: 05 Jun 2013 13:25
Location: proverbs 26:11

Re: New Manager

by stealthpapes » 07 Dec 2018 09:03

Snowflake Royal wrote:Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
Stam - 98 false third and master of his own demise
McDermott - 30 totally shafted and treated with no respect
Clarke - 53 never committed and made to look good by a Blackman purple patch
Adkins - 80 ruined by the Russian shyster's lack of support
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

I give the new guy between 15 and 40 games before he's sacked.


What are the numbers here? games played?

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18547
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: New Manager

by leon » 07 Dec 2018 09:25

stealthpapes wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
Stam - 98 false third and master of his own demise
McDermott - 30 totally shafted and treated with no respect
Clarke - 53 never committed and made to look good by a Blackman purple patch
Adkins - 80 ruined by the Russian shyster's lack of support
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

I give the new guy between 15 and 40 games before he's sacked.


What are the numbers here? games played?


The amount of pointless arguments Ian has had on HNA about each manager.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5411
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: New Manager

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Dec 2018 09:25

leon wrote:
stealthpapes wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
Stam - 98 false third and master of his own demise
McDermott - 30 totally shafted and treated with no respect
Clarke - 53 never committed and made to look good by a Blackman purple patch
Adkins - 80 ruined by the Russian shyster's lack of support
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

I give the new guy between 15 and 40 games before he's sacked.


What are the numbers here? games played?


The amount of pointless arguments Ian has had on HNA about each manager.


oxf*rd you Leon I was just about to post that.


User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18547
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: New Manager

by leon » 07 Dec 2018 09:26

Divided by 1000

User avatar
Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1284
Joined: 04 Nov 2005 13:41
Location: West Berkshire

Re: New Manager

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Dec 2018 09:34

https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-s ... t/23227108

Looks like we could be joining the let's have a Portuguese manager club

Luis Castro ?

User avatar
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11506
Joined: 05 Jun 2013 13:25
Location: proverbs 26:11

Re: New Manager

by stealthpapes » 07 Dec 2018 09:34

leon wrote:
stealthpapes wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
Stam - 98 false third and master of his own demise
McDermott - 30 totally shafted and treated with no respect
Clarke - 53 never committed and made to look good by a Blackman purple patch
Adkins - 80 ruined by the Russian shyster's lack of support
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

I give the new guy between 15 and 40 games before he's sacked.


What are the numbers here? games played?


The amount of pointless arguments Ian has had on HNA about each manager.


lol, true.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7544
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: New Manager

by Hound » 07 Dec 2018 10:00

Gunny Fishcake wrote:https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/23227108

Looks like we could be joining the let's have a Portuguese manager club

Luis Castro ?


bit of noise about this one isn't there? Link via Nani I presume

I'd be ok with it tbh. Maybe nice to promote Marshall to work alongside him.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11867
Joined: 01 Oct 2008 18:25
Location: WE ARE NOT YOUR KIND

Re: New Manager

by sandman » 07 Dec 2018 10:05

Gunny Fishcake wrote:https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/23227108

Looks like we could be joining the let's have a Portuguese manager club

Luis Castro ?


Is that the the tippy tappy pattering of tiny tippy tappy football feet I hear?

User avatar
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 9208
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 19:31
Location: The posh part of Winnersh

Re: New Manager

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Dec 2018 10:07

alderdude wrote:Luis Castro (current Porto B manager) now listed as favorite through odds checker. Only a couple of bookies listed as giving prices on him, with sky bet listed as 11/10 and bet Victor listed as 7/4. Dont know anything about the guy, but it seems interesting a reletively unknown quantity coming in at a price that short. Could be something to this one.

He is the current manager of Vitoria de Guimaraes, and this is his third job since he left Porto B in 2016.

User avatar
Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1284
Joined: 04 Nov 2005 13:41
Location: West Berkshire

Re: New Manager

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Dec 2018 10:10

sandman wrote:
Gunny Fishcake wrote:https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/23227108

Looks like we could be joining the let's have a Portuguese manager club

Luis Castro ?


Is that the the tippy tappy pattering of tiny tippy tappy football feet I hear?


Please god no, I've never heard of him and his record in Portugal seems highly unimpressive the high being Porto Reserves

555 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bluerinse, Google Adsense [Bot], marcusopp, Polish International, tee peg, WoodleyRoyal and 76 guests

It is currently 11 Dec 2018 08:18