Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by genome » 14 Dec 2016 10:48

http://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33780

What on earth have I just seen, Insane tactics centre backs just passing it to each other. 78% possession and lose 2-0, 600+ passes & the majority went backwards, really weird

Strange they were still walking over to take corners at one nil down with 20 minutes to go, no urgency whatsoever !

Leeds fans just took the mickey all night cheering every pass. At half-time as Reading walked off our fans sung "you're not Barcelona, you won't score a goal" or something on those lines

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 14 Dec 2016 10:57

'It was like some fiendish revenge of Stam’s upon every midfielder he ever played behind who didn’t give him the ball. Reading played the game according to their own Stam-imposed set of regulations where any pass over more than ten yards was a £500 fine, any pass to a forward player was a £500 fine, and any pass to the goalkeeper, Ali Al Habsi, was a £1,000 bonus.

It will have been a lucrative night for the Reading team. The internet tells me Al Habsi had 53 touches of the ball; their ‘forward’, Dominic Samuel, had 11. Joke heat maps have already appeared showing a straight hot red line along their twenty-five yard line from wing-to-wing; but that it is actually what Reading’s heat map looks like, with another equally hot spot in their own goal mouth.'

http://www.thecitytalking.com/leeds-uni ... s-to-town/

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Dec 2016 11:22

And yet somehow we're still 3rd in the league and 2 points ahead of them.

Go figure.

(entertaining read though)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Dec 2016 12:18

You have to say though that playing this possession game invites comments like that when you lose and most of us would agree that it is insane to be trailing late on in games yet still play with little urgency and still be passing the ball backwards. Most frustrating of all is when Reading get a free kick in their opponents half and still hit the ball backwards.

However it must be working overall as we're third in the league with a squad of players that have had about 5 months getting used to this style, have probably 3 players who would start out injured or suspended and are certainly still 2/3 players short of being able to play the style much more effectively and consistently.

Given our position I think our goal now should be to ensure a gap opening between us and 7th and hopefully in doing that we can amaze everyone by taking 3rd or 4th (or even better if the right moves can be made in January).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Dec 2016 12:39

I think we can safely say that was a demonstration of how to play a possession game badly. Just as on a far more numerous set of occasions we've shown how we can play it moderately well (we're yet to hit the heights of where we're aiming for any length of time IMO).

How far have Leeds fallen that winning a home game against Reading seems worthy of gloating.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Dec 2016 20:26

Ian Royal I think we can safely say that was a demonstration of how to play a possession game badly. Just as on a far more numerous set of occasions we've shown how we can play it moderately well (we're yet to hit the heights of where we're aiming for any length of time IMO).

How far have Leeds fallen that winning a home game against Reading seems worthy of gloating.

Tbf they've been shit for years

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 14 Dec 2016 21:34

hughsies no.1 'It was like some fiendish revenge of Stam’s upon every midfielder he ever played behind who didn’t give him the ball. Reading played the game according to their own Stam-imposed set of regulations where any pass over more than ten yards was a £500 fine, any pass to a forward player was a £500 fine, and any pass to the goalkeeper, Ali Al Habsi, was a £1,000 bonus.

It will have been a lucrative night for the Reading team. The internet tells me Al Habsi had 53 touches of the ball; their ‘forward’, Dominic Samuel, had 11. Joke heat maps have already appeared showing a straight hot red line along their twenty-five yard line from wing-to-wing; but that it is actually what Reading’s heat map looks like, with another equally hot spot in their own goal mouth.'

http://www.thecitytalking.com/leeds-uni ... s-to-town/

That article is spot on from what I can gather. Good read as well.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2016 13:56

IMV, clear from the start that Reading were better organised, more energetic, quicker and slicker. We were like a pub team in comparison.

Yep, we scored two and missed some chances (Graham could and should have had a hat trick) but many of Reading's difficulties were self inflicted as they tried to be over elaborate at the back.

If Reading had been more clinical, they would have scored six - I lost count of the number of half chances and opportunities they squandered. Some of their approach play was excellent.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 18 Dec 2016 14:18

CountryRoyal
IMV, clear from the start that Reading were better organised, more energetic, quicker and slicker. We were like a pub team in comparison.

Yep, we scored two and missed some chances (Graham could and should have had a hat trick) but many of Reading's difficulties were self inflicted as they tried to be over elaborate at the back.

If Reading had been more clinical, they would have scored six - I lost count of the number of half chances and opportunities they squandered. Some of their approach play was excellent.

That's probably one of the best opposition BFTG posts I've seen. Basically how I saw the game, we were slick and dominant but tried too hard and gave them chances.

A lot of fans would have thought Blackburn deserved more yesterday, but it was down to our own downfall as to opposed to them.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2016 14:54

LWJ
CountryRoyal

That's probably one of the best opposition BFTG posts I've seen. Basically how I saw the game, we were slick and dominant but tried too hard and gave them chances.

A lot of fans would have thought Blackburn deserved more yesterday, but it was down to our own downfall as to opposed to them.

Were we in decent voice yesterday LWJ?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Dec 2016 14:56

LWJ - Have another go at that last sentence! :wink:

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 18 Dec 2016 16:30

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Dec 2016 16:35

CountryRoyal
LWJ
CountryRoyal

Not really, for some reason there was a largish group of singers down the front at the left, so the group at the back was smaller. Had to lol at them taking the piss out of the Brian lookalike steward, who used to manage Slough, and did give them a wave.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 19 Dec 2016 08:54

Royal Rother LWJ - Have another go at that last sentence! :wink:

Hopefully people get what I meant :lol:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 19 Dec 2016 08:55

CountryRoyal

Not really, as PieEater said we had a group of lads come up on the train who were enjoying themselves but they isolated down the front which made them hard to hear from the back of the stand.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Dec 2016 17:25

Sutekh You have to say though that playing this possession game invites comments like that when you lose and most of us would agree that it is insane to be trailing late on in games yet still play with little urgency and still be passing the ball backwards. Most frustrating of all is when Reading get a free kick in their opponents half and still hit the ball backwards.

However it must be working overall as we're third in the league with a squad of players that have had about 5 months getting used to this style, have probably 3 players who would start out injured or suspended and are certainly still 2/3 players short of being able to play the style much more effectively and consistently.

Given our position I think our goal now should be to ensure a gap opening between us and 7th and hopefully in doing that we can amaze everyone by taking 3rd or 4th (or even better if the right moves can be made in January).

In much the same way teams hassled us in 05/06 and 11/12 for being nothing much more than long ball teams. That middle paragraph needs to be cut out and kept by the way. What we've done thus far has been lovely.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 20 Dec 2016 19:54

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Dec 2016 20:32

stealthpapes
Sutekh You have to say though that playing this possession game invites comments like that when you lose and most of us would agree that it is insane to be trailing late on in games yet still play with little urgency and still be passing the ball backwards. Most frustrating of all is when Reading get a free kick in their opponents half and still hit the ball backwards.

In much the same way teams hassled us in 05/06 and 11/12 for being nothing much more than long ball teams. That middle paragraph needs to be cut out and kept by the way. What we've done thus far has been lovely.

The 05/06 team were accused of long ball? :shock:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Dec 2016 12:43

Jagermesiter1871
stealthpapes

We were very direct and used the fast counter attack style to our advantage - i wouldn't have said "long ball" as it lump it to the big man but we made sure we got it from the defence to attack as quick as we could

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Dec 2016 16:12

TBM
Jagermesiter1871
stealthpapes

We were very direct and used the fast counter attack style to our advantage - i wouldn't have said "long ball" as it lump it to the big man but we made sure we got it from the defence to attack as quick as we could

Shorey's link ups to Kitson were a thing of beauty for 2 seasons.

4486 posts