The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Nameless » 29 Sep 2018 16:13

Saints erected disappintingly poor and we should have won by more.
No surprise Barratt being on the bench given the first teamers getting decent work outs.
Holmes being fit meant Osho on the bench, showing how strong we are in that position.
Tyler Frost had a good game as did Loader and generally the U23 side seems to be developing very well at the moment.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Sep 2018 17:18

Agreed with that. Everyone looked good today, Teddy Howe had a very good game despite one heart-in-mouth moment. Would like to see Osho, Holmes and McIntyre all play - maybe one could go into midfield to add some steel.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Sep 2018 17:20

Nameless Saints erected disappintingly poor and we should have won by more.
No surprise Barratt being on the bench given the first teamers getting decent work outs.
Holmes being fit meant Osho on the bench, showing how strong we are in that position.
Tyler Frost had a good game as did Loader and generally the U23 side seems to be developing very well at the moment.

Is that the Saints defensive walls at free kicks that were disappointly erected?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Sep 2018 17:31

Reckon GMac on the bench for QPR

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Sep 2018 18:39

SCIAG Agreed with that. Everyone looked good today, Teddy Howe had a very good game despite one heart-in-mouth moment. Would like to see Osho, Holmes and McIntyre all play - maybe one could go into midfield to add some steel.

Three at the back maybe, although I think Osho and McIntyre are good enough footballers to play in midfield. Holmes is no slouch but I think the other lads would slot in more easily.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Sep 2018 19:24

Well, Holmes did start out as a midfielder...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Sep 2018 19:39

He put in some good shifts there in the U18s when he was 15. But he's had another growth spurt since then and I'm not sure he's as fleet footed any more. But it could be worth a try.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Sep 2018 19:55

SCIAG He put in some good shifts there in the U18s when he was 15. But he's had another growth spurt since then and I'm not sure he's as fleet footed any more. But it could be worth a try.

I just remember he used to. Wouldn't use him there these days. I don't think he's better than either Osho or McIntyre. Or Burley or Odimayo. Don't rate him tbh.

Interesting Sidoel has been used as a CM, what have you made of him so far?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Oct 2018 21:25

maffff
SCIAG He put in some good shifts there in the U18s when he was 15. But he's had another growth spurt since then and I'm not sure he's as fleet footed any more. But it could be worth a try.

I just remember he used to. Wouldn't use him there these days. I don't think he's better than either Osho or McIntyre. Or Burley or Odimayo. Don't rate him tbh.

Interesting Sidoel has been used as a CM, what have you made of him so far?

Yeah Osho and McIntyre are the better defenders imo, though obviously someone at the club prefers Holmes to Osho. Haven't seen much of Odimayo lately - think he's unlucky that there's so much competition. Wouldn't put Burley in the same conversation.

Haven't seen Sidoel play. Couldn't get to the match at Adams Park that he played in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2018 15:09

Osho and Shokunbi our on loan

Would have hoped Osho could have gone Div2 rather than national league but will be useful for him

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Oct 2018 17:13

League Two is hard for young defenders because clubs aren't prepared to take a risk on them. Dickie and Shyam found that out the hard way. A non-league loan to a local club is less risky and probably means they get more game time.

Shokunbi is one of those who isn't going to get in the U23 team any time soon so has to take whatever he can get.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Oct 2018 17:36

Hound Osho and Shokunbi our on loan

Would have hoped Osho could have gone Div2 rather than national league but will be useful for him

Osho at Aldershot and Shokunbi a league below at Billericay.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2018 18:02

SCIAG League Two is hard for young defenders because clubs aren't prepared to take a risk on them. Dickie and Shyam found that out the hard way. A non-league loan to a local club is less risky and probably means they get more game time.

Shokunbi is one of those who isn't going to get in the U23 team any time soon so has to take whatever he can get.

Yes fair enough, suppose just a little disappointed than a L2 didn’t take the risk on him. He should be up to that level now if he wants a future here

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 Oct 2018 21:06

Premier League Under-23 Cup tonight.

Colchester 1 Reading 3
Jaakkola, Balogun, Medford-Smith, East, Odimayo, McIntyre, Frost, Pendlebury, House, Nolan, Barrett
Subs: Burley, Driscoll, Olise, Howe, Liddle

Goals: House (43), Barrett (76), Frost (89)
Colchester goal was a penalty in the 93rd minute.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Oct 2018 21:33

No Loader in the team so presumably he will be in the squad tomorrow.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Oct 2018 08:39

Don't Panic ...There are 2 reasons for the academy, first to bring players through to the first team and second to generate funds for the club. If players aren't good enough for the first team then they are (hopefully) sold to generate funds. Recently there has been a lack of the first, I am not sure on the second.

There is a third, often overlooked, reason of providing a service to the local community that really helps embed the team in the culture of the town and help develop local talent whilst engaging with a large segment of the next generation of Reading fans.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 06 Oct 2018 10:40

Hound
SCIAG League Two is hard for young defenders because clubs aren't prepared to take a risk on them. Dickie and Shyam found that out the hard way. A non-league loan to a local club is less risky and probably means they get more game time.

Yes fair enough, suppose just a little disappointed than a L2 didn’t take the risk on him. He should be up to that level now if he wants a future here

Its interesting that Osho's loan is only for a month whereas Shokunbi's is until Jan. The problem is that FL clubs can't loan now until Jan so if player and club want a loan move it can only be to a non-league club. But I agree that having played at Maidenhead last season and his reports on here this season I thought if he was going on loan it would be to L2.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Oct 2018 11:06

Don't Panic
^This. There are 2 reasons for the academy, first to bring players through to the first team and second to generate funds for the club. If players aren't good enough for the first team then they are (hopefully) sold to generate funds. Recently there has been a lack of the first, I am not sure on the second.

Think the last time we got a significant fee for an academy player was Cooper. Unless someone is in the first team then the money we can get for them is usually going to be insignificant. The exception is if a particularly promising player attracts the attention of a bigger club. Think we got about £100,000 for Jordi Osei-Tutu (incidentally we could do a lot worse than getting him on loan in January if Obita still isn't fit) and the rumour was that Man City bid £2m for Aaron Kuhl.

Hoop Blah
Don't Panic ...There are 2 reasons for the academy, first to bring players through to the first team and second to generate funds for the club. If players aren't good enough for the first team then they are (hopefully) sold to generate funds. Recently there has been a lack of the first, I am not sure on the second.

There is a third, often overlooked, reason of providing a service to the local community that really helps embed the team in the culture of the town and help develop local talent whilst engaging with a large segment of the next generation of Reading fans.

I remember at an U18 game a few years ago, about twenty of Jack Stacey's friends came along wearing wigs and ran along the stand teasing him. Some of the local boys will bring a dozen members of their family to see them at U23 games.

If it was just about community engagement then it probably wouldn't be a good use of £2m a year, but it works.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 06 Oct 2018 15:08

Sutekh

I hope that Shokunbi does well at Billericay.

It can go either way:

Billericay appear to be struggling at present and if they are not successful it could sap Shokunbi's confidence

OR (and this what I really hope) his presence will help to boost the team' s and his development.
I hope that he has good support from staff of both Billericay and Royals

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 06 Oct 2018 15:27

glass half full
Sutekh

I hope that Shokunbi does well at Billericay.

It can go either way:

Billericay appear to be struggling at present and if they are not successful it could sap Shokunbi's confidence

OR (and this what I really hope) his presence will help to boost the team' s and his development.
I hope that he has good support from staff of both Billericay and Royals

Sorry, harsh to say the team is 'struggling' but the inspirational owner is looking for a buyer. This could cause disruption. I hope not.

7490 posts