7491 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Sutekh » 14 May 2019 15:08

Whore Jackie
Nameless
King Coppell
Obviously a very promising keeper if at 16 he’s been thrust into the U23’s. He’s also 6 foot 3 and growing!

Luke Southwood has a great chance to earn the number one spot this summer, with Mannone not expected to return and AJ off. Conor is a few years off getting a sniff here, and that’s optimistic. I think his head will turn and we’ll lose him.

Is he really 6’3” ? He looks much shorter than that !
Do you know him ? Hard to say someone’s head will be turned unless you actually know them. We’ve got several players who could have gone to ‘bigger’ academies but have stayed with us and I think anyone with a good agent would probably decide moving to a supposed ‘bigger’ club at 16 is far from the best option. If you genuinely have the talent you will get to the top and probably be better off if you wait. If he’s a few years off getting a sniff here then he’d be further off at Man Utd or Arsenal....

Credible source says he's already left Reading.

Seeing as he's only just come back from loan at Eastleigh and is not on the club's released list then I would have said that's unlikely.

There's been no mention of a new contract for him as yet either which would suggest he's still contracted to the club.

Doesn't mean he's not about to move on though.

Guess only time will tell for sure though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 May 2019 15:19

Sutekh
Whore Jackie
Nameless
Do you know him ? Hard to say someone’s head will be turned unless you actually know them. We’ve got several players who could have gone to ‘bigger’ academies but have stayed with us and I think anyone with a good agent would probably decide moving to a supposed ‘bigger’ club at 16 is far from the best option. If you genuinely have the talent you will get to the top and probably be better off if you wait. If he’s a few years off getting a sniff here then he’d be further off at Man Utd or Arsenal....

Seeing as he's only just come back from loan at Eastleigh and is not on the club's released list then I would have said that's unlikely.

There's been no mention of a new contract for him as yet either which would suggest he's still contracted to the club.

Think you are talking about the wrong keeper there Sutekh....

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 May 2019 15:20

Sutekh
Whore Jackie
Nameless

Think OP was talking about the 16 year old Coniah Boyce-Clarke, not Luke Southwood.

CountryRoyal Would be extremely disappointed if true. What’s the point of having Cat 1 and supposedly a really good academy if we can’t even keep hold of them before they even turn pro. What a joke.

Higher compensation rates, which should make big clubs think twice about gambling on teenagers. It's £40,000 per year between U12 and U16 for instance. If we had, say, Cat 3 - he probably would have moved earlier - it would cost the "buying" club less, so less of gamble for them, and the facilities and training at a Cat 3 would be of a lower standard also.

Not sure what else you can do, to be honest. You can't tie a kid to a club if they want to move elsewhere.

If he has gone, let's hope he gets sold abroad at some point, as I think we'd get a teeny slice of the transfer fee then also.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 May 2019 15:21

CountryRoyal Would be extremely disappointed if true. What’s the point of having Cat 1 and supposedly a really good academy if we can’t even keep hold of them before they even turn pro. What a joke.

Rino, McIntyre, Loader, Holsgrove, Osho, Olise, Nolan, Howe, Southwood, Ward etc etc etc

Several reasons to have a Cat 1 Academy !

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 May 2019 15:23

Nameless

Rino, McIntyre, Loader, Holsgrove, Osho, Olise, Nolan, Howe, Southwood, Ward etc etc etc

Several reasons to have a Cat 1 Academy !

Fair point, guess no one likes losing the best but at the end of the day we still seem to be doing alright!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 May 2019 15:27

Whore Jackie

Looks like there may have been a change of plan!

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/ ... 4147608584

Excellent news if true

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 May 2019 15:40

muirinho
Whore Jackie

Excellent news if true

That is excellent news, for a couple of reasons.

1) it means he will continue to grow with us
2) he/the people advising him have got footballing interests at heart, as opposed to going after the bunts

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 May 2019 15:57

very much hope its true. He is so young as a keeper, has years and years ahead of him. He has already had a lot of faith shown in him in the U23 and will undoubtedly get plenty more with us.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 May 2019 16:28

Whore Jackie Credible source says he's already left Reading.

The one that just confirmed he's signing a new deal?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 May 2019 16:37

maffff
Whore Jackie Credible source says he's already left Reading.

The one that just confirmed he's signing a new deal?

is it actually confirmed or just SSN 'understands'?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 May 2019 18:46

muirinho
Whore Jackie

Excellent news if true

Nice to see the kid getting good advice, the big clubs have a never ending list of boys that dont make it, mature here then move on if he makes the grade.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 May 2019 19:09

URZZZZ
Nameless
URZZZZ
Yeah, we do seem to have some promising goalkeepers coming through. The only trouble is we will still probably need to sign a first choice goalie, and there won’t be room for both Ward and Southwood, I think eventually we may have to get rid of them to give them a proper chance of development

Sign a first choice keeper and have Ward and Southwood as back up seems entirely plausible.
The only thing Walker gives us that the other two don't is a few inches.

Actually wrote the wrong thing - I meant maybe try and move on one of them, not both. I think the problem with that is the 2nd choice goalie gets limited time on pitch, so a 3rd choice would never play. There's only so many times you can keep and keep loaning out players. It's unfortunate that our goalkeeping department is one of our strongest coming through because you don't tend to rotate goalies, so i'd argue it'd be more beneficial developing one fully rather than trying to develop them both at the same time

I've always wondered why managers don't sub keepers on for the ;last 15 minutes when we are comfortable, say 3-0

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 May 2019 19:32

Snowball
URZZZZ
Nameless
Sign a first choice keeper and have Ward and Southwood as back up seems entirely plausible.
The only thing Walker gives us that the other two don't is a few inches.

Actually wrote the wrong thing - I meant maybe try and move on one of them, not both. I think the problem with that is the 2nd choice goalie gets limited time on pitch, so a 3rd choice would never play. There's only so many times you can keep and keep loaning out players. It's unfortunate that our goalkeeping department is one of our strongest coming through because you don't tend to rotate goalies, so i'd argue it'd be more beneficial developing one fully rather than trying to develop them both at the same time

I've always wondered why managers don't sub keepers on for the ;last 15 minutes when we are comfortable, say 3-0

Appearance fees
Not worth it for 5 or 10 minutes
Longer and there's easily enough time to draw
If it went wrong the fall out would be catastrophic
You're likely to piss off your first choice keeper
Disruption to the team and defence.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 May 2019 20:29

That’s good news, wonder what his future will hold, could he be the next Alex McCarthy or might he become the another Shaun Allaway.

Incidentally while many Reading academy keepers have looked the part none of them have ever become the established keeper at Reading. Ashdown and McCarthy could have done but jumped ship thanks to bigger clubs (at the time) poking their oar in at just the wrong time (for Reading).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 May 2019 00:24

TBF we could line up with a team just from the academy and it'd still look strong

Southwood

Watson
Osho
McIntyre
Obita

Rinomhota
Kelly

Olise
Barrett
Richards

Loader

I'm glad we seem to be focusing more on academy graduates again. With Stam making some ridiculous unneeded signings, I felt the emphasis towards the academy had gone down. Clement and to a further extent Gomes are improving this side of things again

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2019 01:20

URZZZZ TBF we could line up with a team just from the academy and it'd still look strong

Southwood

Watson
Osho
McIntyre
Obita

Rinomhota
Kelly

Olise
Barrett
Richards

Loader

I'm glad we seem to be focusing more on academy graduates again. With Stam making some ridiculous unneeded signings, I felt the emphasis towards the academy had gone down. Clement and to a further extent Gomes are improving this side of things again

Hey, so why yet again are the same 3 managers grouped for comparison? This is an old club and we had a history b4 then. Is there some sort of era or reference point that starts there? If so, why? We had the Academies b4 then, right?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 15 May 2019 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 May 2019 01:34

Denver Royal
URZZZZ TBF we could line up with a team just from the academy and it'd still look strong

Southwood

Watson
Osho
McIntyre
Obita

Rinomhota
Kelly

Olise
Barrett
Richards

Loader

Why yet again are the same 3 managers grouped and referenced? This is an old club with a long history. Is there some sort of era with the club that starts there? We had the Academies b4 then, right? Why isn’t Clarke mentioned? Adkins?

You’re absolutely correct. The reason I brought up Stam as the “first example” is because in my eyes he was the first manager we’ve had a long time that didn’t fit the “Reading ethos”. Clarke to a lesser extent. To me, Clarke, McDermott, Adkins etc were all fairly similar in terms of achievements, their use of youth etc, again slightly diverted from Clarke, but the reason I use Stam as a benchmark is he’s the first manager we’ve had in a long time where everything just felt weird and unnatural and not what we’re about

But back to your point at what point do we stop looking back at time? Would you like it if we grouped and referenced each manager back till 1871 instead?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2019 01:45

URZZZZ
Denver Royal

Southwood

Watson
Osho
McIntyre
Obits

Rinomhota
Kelly

Olise
Barrett
Richards

Loader

Why yet again are the same 3 managers grouped and referenced? This is an old club with a long history. Is there some sort of era with the club that starts there? We had the Academies b4 then, right? Why isn’t Clarke mentioned? Adkins?

You’re absolutely correct. The reason I brought up Stam as the “first example” is because in my eyes he was the first manager we’ve had a long time that didn’t fit the “Reading ethos”. Clarke to a lesser extent. To me, Clarke, McDermott, Adkins etc were all fairly similar in terms of achievements, their use of youth etc, again slightly diverted from Clarke, but the reason I use Stam as a benchmark is he’s the first manager we’ve had in a long time where everything just felt weird and unnatural and not what we’re about

But back to your point at what point do we stop looking back at time? Would you like it if we grouped and referenced each manager back till 1871 instead?

Well, to me it felt ‘weird and unnatural, and not what we’re about’ in the sense the club decided to hire a 1st year mgr, and yet suddenly we were in a promotion race? During which of course, as you would know, it might be harder to blood youngsters. Had we been mid table or lower, it may have been a more organic long term approach.
Be that as it may, and working within your chosen boundaries, I’m sure someone will come up with the numbers.
As I recall, Clement, not too many really? (Not that I’d criticize him for that really). Rino’s emergence was rather forced on him via injuries, Meyler, etc.
Gomes, not sure where he stands either, tbh. Or will, going forward?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 15 May 2019 03:31, edited 2 times in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 May 2019 01:58

It does slightly irritate me when people say Clement used the youth because of “injuries”. Delving deeper:

When rino came in, we only had eza injured. We still had Bacuna, kelly, swift, meyler, Edwards, Clement. Ok you could argue not great options, but he chose to use rino over many experiences pros

Loader he began to use. For example take the Stoke(H) game. He chose to start loader with baldock, meite, sims and barrow all on the bench. Obviously not a direct result of injuries

Same with Gomes and players like olise, east, Barrett etc. Ok, injuries may have played a role, but we still had many viable first team options and they both chose to use the youth

I see your point about Stam. I never enjoyed his football one bit, even when winning games. But he had the second season to try something different and maybe try a few youth players and he never really did, it was just the same tried and tested formula

Wouldn’t know the exact stats of which manager has utilised the academy the most - but could imagine Adkins being near the top? But then that probably was down to injuries/finances

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2019 02:10

Which mgrs have used Academy was your point? Anyway...
Meyler 3 year deal. If he pans out, doubt Rino emerges as he did.
Stam 1st yr mgr, had a go, playoff final loss on pens, bad and inexperienced 2nd year. Short tenure, who cares.
Your 1871 thingy was silly? Going back to start of the Academies in modern era, maybe.
To your overall point (I think?), how can we be successful, how viable the PL is organically, remains to be seen.
Lot's of time spent on how thing's shouldn't have been, and rather less on how we get there again.
Good point, there's waaay less chat re. that, than dwelling on the past. (Yann's 1 yr extension. Again?)
Assuming PL is/should be the goal, what would/should it look like? Academy weighting will be criticized accordingly.
Burnley’s model? How should/will we differ?

7491 posts