7492 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by SCIAG » 25 Aug 2018 16:22

3points
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
Baffled why Barrett can`t get anywhere near the first team, been scoring constantly for a couple of years now.

Didn't he have a rather unsuccessful loan at a low level? And has had some fairly poor reviews on here from Academy games in the last year or so. He certainly didn't look much cop in the little I've seen of him in them.

How many goals has he actually scored in the last 2- 3 years? From how many games?
went to Coventry last season and was absolutely pasted by their fans as being fat, slow, and just not very good... Think he was being played as a left midfielder and didn’t do much work defensively

Sounds about right!

Very good game that we should have won by more. First half was utterly ridiculous. Sunderland barely left their half. Barrett scored a delightful chip, then Loader won a penalty which was worse than McShane and Osho scored. We created a lot of chances with little reply, there was one counter attack after a corner but that was it.

Second half Sunderland started much better. After about ten minutes their right winger, Molyneux, started to run the game and got himself a goal. He could have got at least one more, but then we reasserted ourselves and Sunderland had no response. We created chance after chance but didn't get on the end of many cross-goal balls. Eventually House nicked one and then Osho headed one in from a corner.

Ratings:
Southwood 7 - impressively good at holding shots.
Gunter 7 - untroubled but not dominant. Played the best pass of the game to play in Loader. Subbed at half time.
Osho 9 - two goals and some very good tackles.
McIntyre 7 - not his best game, didn't have much to do.
Howe 7 - bit weak defensively but overlapped well.
Popa 7 - not fully fit but still dangerous.
East 7 - kept things ticking over.
Rinomhota 8 - some really good moments of close control including a bursting run that should have led to a Barrett goal.
Barrett 9 - still can't last the 90 and lost his head one time after Loader was fouled but he set up two goals and scored a third. A few silly mishits from dead balls.
Loader 7 - becoming more rounded but missed a few chances from being too "neat" and could have had five goals on another day if his movement in the box had been better.
House 8 - worked hard enough that having Barrett and Popa on the pitch didn't matter. Scored but like Loader could easily have had more.

Subs:
Richards 7
Frost 6 - didn't see much of the ball but played some well-timed passes when he did.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Aug 2018 17:53

windermereROYAL
Royals and Racers 1-0 Barrett

Baffled why Barrett can`t get anywhere near the first team, been scoring constantly for a couple of years now.

Get down and watch the u23 games then.

Barrett is the sort of player who looks great in these no pressure games where his party tricks often work and his weaknesses don’t get exposed.
If he played against decent full backs he would probably hardly get the ball and not have the time and space for what he does.
He’s great to watch, does score and create goals but he seems happy to take it easy and not put in the work to get in the real,game.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Aug 2018 17:56

windermereROYAL
Royals and Racers Southwood
Gunter
Osho
Mcintyre
Howe
East
Popa
Rinomhota
House
Loader
Barrett
Subs
Richards
Legg
Frost
Coleman
Liddle

Popa back in the U23s. looks like he won`t feature much again this season.

Or he’s been given match time so he can get properly fit. If he wasn’t going to feature I reckon we’d have sorted out another loan deal.
He did some good work today.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Aug 2018 20:17

Whenever I have watched him, I’ve thought he’s had plenty of ability. He really should make it a me a pro - prob not here tbf, but in the lower leagues - as long as he improves his fitness - which has never looked to great to me

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2018 21:32

Hound Whenever I have watched him, I’ve thought he’s had plenty of ability. He really should make it a me a pro - prob not here tbf, but in the lower leagues - as long as he improves his fitness - which has never looked to great to me

He's looked like a player with the talent to succeed but without the work ethic to me. One of those players gifted with talent who think they can drift through a game playing for themselves without ever really committing to the team.

Thought the same about Fosu though. And Sturridge come to that. :lol:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 27 Aug 2018 17:10

Interesting comments about Barrett. Watching the 2nd half of the International Cup game that I posted about I was actually impressed with his work rate and it was something that was picked up in commentary too.

Do feel though that unless he can force himself onto the bench this season or have a successful loan then his time at Reading may be up. Obviously having him in the U23s is good for them but i'm not sure is necessarily good for his development as going by SCIAG's reports has he outgrown the u23s?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Aug 2018 20:05

Hard to see how Barrett could have ‘outgrown’ the U23 squad, he’s only just turned 20 !
He’s far from the outstanding player in the squad and if anything I would say his problem is he’s not really matured as a player.
As has been said, he has some great skills but you can’t see a manager taking a risk on him in any first team these days. You can’t carry a player because he hits the occasional wonder pass.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2018 08:58

Nameless Hard to see how Barrett could have ‘outgrown’ the U23 squad, he’s only just turned 20 !
He’s far from the outstanding player in the squad and if anything I would say his problem is he’s not really matured as a player.
As has been said, he has some great skills but you can’t see a manager taking a risk on him in any first team these days. You can’t carry a player because he hits the occasional wonder pass.

Sounds like Liam Kelly for the past year..

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Aug 2018 10:25

Nameless Hard to see how Barrett could have ‘outgrown’ the U23 squad, he’s only just turned 20 !

Wasn't long ago this was the U21 squad and the last two years are still basically never used. This would be Barrett's final year in the U21s.

I wouldn't have used the phrase "outgrown" myself but I think I agree with the sentiment - he's so good that we're prepared to put up with his deficiencies. He's a much more effective player than any of the other attackers we have at that level. We can afford to carry him at that level, but it's hard to see that being the case at senior level. He does still mishit balls or dribble up blind alleyways or try to do everything himself, but the only way he's likely to move on is by playing at a level which will test him and where he can't get away with being wasteful.

under the tin

by under the tin » 28 Aug 2018 10:34

SCIAG He does still mishit balls or dribble up blind alleyways or try to do everything himself, but the only way he's likely to move on is by playing at a level which will test him and where he can't get away with being wasteful.

Already have one of those in the first team squad.
Aluko mark 2 eh?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Aug 2018 13:18

SCIAG

Wasn't long ago this was the U21 squad and the last two years are still basically never used. This would be Barrett's final year in the U21s.

I wouldn't have used the phrase "outgrown" myself but I think I agree with the sentiment - he's so good that we're prepared to put up with his deficiencies. He's a much more effective player than any of the other attackers we have at that level. We can afford to carry him at that level, but it's hard to see that being the case at senior level. He does still mishit balls or dribble up blind alleyways or try to do everything himself, but the only way he's likely to move on is by playing at a level which will test him and where he can't get away with being wasteful.

Sadly when he was offered the chance to be tested in grown up, competitive football he blew it. From the outside it seems he likes being a bit of a star in the easy world of U23 football and when comes to the end of his current contract he’ll regret not putting in the work needed to make the transition.
That brief cameo he had a couple of years ago when he played 45 mins (IIRC) for our first team and looked the best player on the pitch shows he can do it and it would be great if he really knuckles down this year and gives Clement reasons to pick him.
Another problem he has is where he would be picked. He’s not really a winger, he’s not a 10. Logically he would compete with Aluko (as suggested by an earlier poster) for the role of ‘good player we can’t quite fit into the way we play’ but how many of those can you have in a squad ?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 28 Aug 2018 13:31

Thought Gabriel Osho had an outstanding game On Saturday. just turned 20 a few days ago, i can see him breaking into the 1st team squad soon.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2018 18:01

Nameless
SCIAG

Sadly when he was offered the chance to be tested in grown up, competitive football he blew it. From the outside it seems he likes being a bit of a star in the easy world of U23 football and when comes to the end of his current contract he’ll regret not putting in the work needed to make the transition.
That brief cameo he had a couple of years ago when he played 45 mins (IIRC) for our first team and looked the best player on the pitch shows he can do it and it would be great if he really knuckles down this year and gives Clement reasons to pick him.
Another problem he has is where he would be picked. He’s not really a winger, he’s not a 10. Logically he would compete with Aluko (as suggested by an earlier poster) for the role of ‘good player we can’t quite fit into the way we play’ but how many of those can you have in a squad ?

I maintain all the signs were there even in that game. His lack of tracking back was one of the key errors that led to the sucker punch goal we conceded.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Aug 2018 18:30

Royals and Racers Thought Gabriel Osho had an outstanding game On Saturday. just turned 20 a few days ago, i can see him breaking into the 1st team squad soon.

Agreed.
We have at least 4 really promising young centrebacks. Entirely possible that before too long we might have a back 5 entirely composed of Academy products, in fact we could realistically have 2 backs 5s from the Academy if we had another right back

Southwood
Watson
Holmes
Osho
Obita

Legg
Vacancy
McIntyre
Andresson
Richards

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2018 20:03

Nameless
Royals and Racers Thought Gabriel Osho had an outstanding game On Saturday. just turned 20 a few days ago, i can see him breaking into the 1st team squad soon.

Agreed.
We have at least 4 really promising young centrebacks. Entirely possible that before too long we might have a back 5 entirely composed of Academy products, in fact we could realistically have 2 backs 5s from the Academy if we had another right back

Southwood
Watson
Holmes
Osho
Obita

Legg
Vacancy
McIntyre
Andresson
Richards

Wasn't that long ago we could have had:

Keown, Dickie, Hyam, Owusu

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Aug 2018 20:51

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Agreed.

Southwood
Watson
Holmes
Osho
Obita

Legg
Vacancy
McIntyre
Andresson
Richards

add in Jake Cooper as well. Think Osho could be the one - always seems very composed

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2018 04:19

There’s has never been a season when we couldn’t have named a entire back 4 of Academy players, of course !
I think the current options aren’t the strongest set for a long time with the youngsters adding to several already with a decent number of first team games under their belt.
But then we thought there were a lot of potential first teamers in the Kuhl cohort and only Kelly has really come through at Championship level.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2018 08:36

Ive liked what I’ve seen of Osho. Would be great if we could line up a season in Div2 for him. Holmes and McIntyre certainly sound rated.

Think Watson is injured again frustratingly. A solid full season with Wimbledon would be very good for him with a view to replacing Gunter in the squad next season

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 29 Aug 2018 18:52

SCIAG

Yeah I was struggling to find the right word the other day, but I think you've summed up what I mean. Feels like he's been in the U21s/23s for ages, is the best player but yet something needs to change for his career to kick on. I had forgotten he still had 3 years left on his contract though. The club obviously believe in him, but there's surely going to come a point when they're going to start looking at younger players to replace him in the team. I half expected a club to come in for him on loan by now, but there's a chance that by the end of his contract he might be out in the cold as atm I don't see a club buying him unless something changes. Hope that makes some kind of sense!

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 29 Aug 2018 18:55

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Agreed.

Southwood
Watson
Holmes
Osho
Obita

Legg
Vacancy
McIntyre
Andresson
Richards

It's interesting with Owusu that he's now at Maidenhead and from what I can gather is playing as a winger, which was his position IIRC before we converted him into a full back.

7492 posts