The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by sandman » 15 Nov 2018 21:31

tidus_mi2 Alex McCarthy capped by England today, does that make him the first Reading academy graduate to be capped by England?

England really are handing out caps like sweets now if he's getting a game.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 15 Nov 2018 23:16

sandman
tidus_mi2 Alex McCarthy capped by England today, does that make him the first Reading academy graduate to be capped by England?

England really are handing out caps like sweets now if he's getting a game.

Really? He is having a good season in a bad Southampton team - Pickford has the number 1 shirt but alongside him and McCarthy, the only other English keepers who have played every min in the PL are Joe Hart (31 and out of the picture) and Ben Foster (35 and retired from international duty).

With Heaton/Pope injured, Butland not pulling up trees in the Championship, Bettinelli rotating for the very leaky Fulham and Gunn 2nd choice to McCarthy at Southampton, I would suggest he is rightly the current second choice international keeper, and at 28 still has a good career ahead of him in the PL.

The QPR and Palace moves didn't work out for him, but he is now back on track and his cap should be seen as a fantastic achievement for those who bought him through the academy since he joined us in 2006.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Nov 2018 23:31

I was only joking of course and playing up to my previous comments on him from years ago.

Having said that, as a cheeky aside, a few on here used to say he would be England number 1 by now. According to your post the only reasons he's getting in the squad is due to injuries (Heaton/Pope), Hart falling out of favour (quite stubborn from Southgate as Hart seems to have rediscovered some of his old form) and loss of form of others (Butland).

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 16 Nov 2018 00:25

sandman I was only joking of course and playing up to my previous comments on him from years ago.

Having said that, as a cheeky aside, a few on here used to say he would be England number 1 by now. According to your post the only reasons he's getting in the squad is due to injuries (Heaton/Pope), Hart falling out of favour (quite stubborn from Southgate as Hart seems to have rediscovered some of his old form) and loss of form of others (Butland).

Ah, gotcha- sorry I missed the historic context!

Yes he was certainly on an upward trajectory back in 2012...
wikipedia After debuting in the Premier League, he achieved the feat of playing in the six top levels of English football at the age of 22.

... which stalled when he got stuck behind Rob Green at QPR, and somehow Wayne Hennessey at Palace (who, as an aside, I have no idea how he has achieved over 150 Premier League appearances, as he has always seemed bang average to me). The other U21 keepers who competed with him are Scott Loach (now at Hartlepool in the National League) and Frankie FIelding (at Bristol City).

Without suffering from major injuries I suppose he was quite unlucky (or not good enough in training), and the GK position is probably the hardest to force your way into. Plus a young goalie (Pickford) exploding onto the scene naturally wasn't widely expected - Butland was probably seen as his real competition when those ill-fated forecasts were made.

But hey, speaking of bad forecasts... I predicted that when he left us Matt Mills (currently 32 and playing for Pune City in the Indian Super League) would go on to play for England one day :oops:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Nov 2018 08:35

It’s ironic that McCarthy has got a chance when his kicking and play with the ball at his feet was a real weakness here and the man he’s leapfrogged* was overlooked in favour of Pickford because of the latters ability on the ball.

* I’m not sure he has leapfrogged Butland, at least not long term.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Nov 2018 15:43

bit of noise about some Bundesliga clubs being interested in Loader.

A loan to a lower division club isn't going to cut it at this stage. He should be in the squad for Wigan.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 16 Nov 2018 18:15

I don't want to sound too mercenary but do we get some wedge out of this on account of some sell-on transfer clause the great Nick H stuck into some long ago deal??

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Nov 2018 19:36

I think the real irony is that if McCarthy hadn't gone to QPR, and instead had taken the offer from Liverpool that he turned down because he didn't think he'd get chances, then he would have considerably more caps and possibly a Champions League winner's medal. Rob Green hit great form at QPR, but Mignolet and Karius were absolute disasters at Liverpool and McCarthy would have had plenty of chances.

Fox Talbot

I don't want to sound too mercenary but do we get some wedge out of this on account of some sell-on transfer clause the great Nick H stuck into some long ago deal??

Very unlikely. Would require:

- Us and QPR to both have stuck sell-on fees in his contract
- Palace to have structured some of the fee to be based around future England caps (unlikely thing to do for a sub goalkeeper in his mid-20s moving sideways).

Even then we'd only get a fraction of a fraction. If we have a 40% sell on clause and QPR have a 10% one, and Palace are getting £500k, then we could get £20k. Think those estimates are very generous given the circumstances!

Think a clause forcing QPR to give us a fee if he ever played for England, even after leaving them, is equally unlikely. If he was ten years younger and we were having this discussion in ten years time then we might have to pay an EPPP fee to Wycombe.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 17 Nov 2018 10:50

Thanks SCIAG.

Long shot I realise but seems like Time has outdone the cunning of old Nick.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Nov 2018 19:32

Youngsters Joel Rollinson and Adam Liddle have gone in loan to Eastbourne Borough

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Nov 2018 23:10

Sam Smith still yet to register a goal for Oxford in the league, isn't doing his hope of returning to us and playing regularly here any good if he can't feature much for a team just outside the relegation zone in league one

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Nov 2018 23:45

URZZZZ Sam Smith still yet to register a goal for Oxford in the league, isn't doing his hope of returning to us and playing regularly here any good if he can't feature much for a team just outside the relegation zone in league one

That is the point I make on social media, every time the bloody U23s win a game it`s promote them all to the 1st team.

the class between that level and Championship is huge. there are some seriously clueless people out there.

Josh Barrett is at Aldershot. Loader scores a goal and against Moldova U23s , possibly a step up from San Marino, but not far, he might be worth a place on the bench, but from what I have seen he`s still a raw youngster that`s not yet ready.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Nov 2018 12:29

And yet England themselves have an 18 year old starting for them

I agree on not just promoting people for the sake of it, but Loader is clearly a class above and there are
Plenty of other teams who would take the chance on him

Nobody is saying he should get in the first team because of a goal against Moldova. It’s because he has been in the England set up for years, and is one of (maybe the) top scorer in the U23 PL2 at the age of 18

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Nov 2018 14:09

Hound And yet England themselves have an 18 year old starting for them

I agree on not just promoting people for the sake of it, but Loader is clearly a class above and there are

Nobody is saying he should get in the first team because of a goal against Moldova. It’s because he has been in the England set up for years, and is one of (maybe the) top scorer in the U23 PL2 at the age of 18

He should certainly be getting involvement with the first team squad, but he's hardly going to get selected when our strikers are basically all performing very well (except McNulty who isn't getting a chance for the same reason as Loader - Bod, Baldock and Meite are all doing very well).

I still think he should have got the games Smith did last year, and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get any chances this year, but this is the lot of an academy player. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are, how much potential you have and how you perform, if the players in your position in the first team are doing well, you aren't getting much of a look in.

There's no doubt in my mind that if he was a defender or midfielder of his quality he'd have been at least on the bench regularly this season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Nov 2018 15:41

Snowflake Royal
Hound And yet England themselves have an 18 year old starting for them

He should certainly be getting involvement with the first team squad, but he's hardly going to get selected when our strikers are basically all performing very well (except McNulty who isn't getting a chance for the same reason as Loader - Bod, Baldock and Meite are all doing very well).

I still think he should have got the games Smith did last year, and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get any chances this year, but this is the lot of an academy player. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are, how much potential you have and how you perform, if the players in your position in the first team are doing well, you aren't getting much of a look in.

There's no doubt in my mind that if he was a defender or midfielder of his quality he'd have been at least on the bench regularly this season.

Antonio sums this up. Was not getting ahead of our wingers at the time, no matter how much potential he had.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 22 Nov 2018 15:51

U18`s Fa Youth cup 3rd round tie away at Cambridge is on Tuesday 11th December KO 7pm- hope the royals check the ages of the players they pick !!!!!!

U23`s home to Fulham tomorrow night(Friday) at the Madejski KO 7pm in a premier league 2 DIV 2 match- i`m pretty sure this was going to be at Woking but has now swapped. Popa, Harriott and Pelle Clement all likely to be involved

Yellowcoat2

by Yellowcoat2 » 22 Nov 2018 17:05

Royals and Racers U18`s Fa Youth cup 3rd round tie away at Cambridge is on Tuesday 11th December KO 7pm- hope the royals check the ages of the players they pick !!!!!!

U23`s home to Fulham tomorrow night(Friday) at the Madejski KO 7pm in a premier league 2 DIV 2 match- i`m pretty sure this was going to be at Woking but has now swapped. Popa, Harriott and Pelle Clement all likely to be involved

According to the Royals Support twitter account (19th November) this fixture is indeed scheduled for Woking.

The Cube

by The Cube » 22 Nov 2018 21:50

Royals and Racers U23`s home to Fulham tomorrow night(Friday) at the Madejski KO 7pm in a premier league 2 DIV 2 match- i`m pretty sure this was going to be at Woking but has now swapped. Popa, Harriott and Pelle Clement all likely to be involved

I think it's the other way round - originally at Madejski, but now at Woking. Certainly anyone travelling needs to check first.

Most recent communication I've seen was from the Royals Support Twitter account three days ago (that's an official RFC account, incidentally), which said at Woking. Fulham website agrees. Reading FC website still says Madejski, but that's the sort of rubbish information that you can expect from an organisation recovering from Ron Gourlay.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 Nov 2018 07:24

The Cube
Royals and Racers U23`s home to Fulham tomorrow night(Friday) at the Madejski KO 7pm in a premier league 2 DIV 2 match- i`m pretty sure this was going to be at Woking but has now swapped. Popa, Harriott and Pelle Clement all likely to be involved

I think it's the other way round - originally at Madejski, but now at Woking. Certainly anyone travelling needs to check first.

Most recent communication I've seen was from the Royals Support Twitter account three days ago (that's an official RFC account, incidentally), which said at Woking. Fulham website agrees. Reading FC website still says Madejski, but that's the sort of rubbish information that you can expect from an organisation recovering from Ron Gourlay.

Think you could be wrong and it is at the Madejski- because Woking are home tomorrow in the FA trophy and that’s why it’s been switched.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 Nov 2018 15:34

Royals and Racers
The Cube

Think you could be wrong and it is at the Madejski- because Woking are home tomorrow in the FA trophy and that’s why it’s been switched.

Reading fc now saying at Woking !!!!!

7490 posts