COMING SOON : Walsall (h) - FA CUP 4th Round - 30 Jan 2016

171 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

COMING SOON : Walsall (h) - FA CUP 4th Round - 30 Jan 2016

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2016 11:00

Now we're through we concentrate more fully on this one. Awful tie for both sides though both will see it as winnable.

I always recall games with Walsall as being awkward, dour, non spectacular and about as much worth watching as a crack in the pavement.

The last time we played them in the FA Cup back in 2003 was a dreadfully dull awful replay and we got beaten on penalties, all after a particularly dull awful 0-0 at their place, (that defeat was followed by an equally dull awful 0-0 in the league with them on the Saturday after)

Since we moved to the Mad Stad we've played 11 games in total against them and won only 2, both at the Bescot and drawn another 5 (so we've obviously lost 4).

Still waiting for our first victory against them at the Mad Stad (pld 5 W0 D3 L2 F3 A5)

Think we all know what to expect on the day; a turgid game that sees us really struggle badly and either jam our way through or be otherwise embarrassed).

Last win at home against them was by 2-1 at Elm Park in September 1985 and even then they scored more goals than us....

Stick your memories and thoughts on Walsall below.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: COMING SOON : Walsall (h) - FA CUP 4th Round - 30 Jan 20

by Winchester Royal » 20 Jan 2016 11:07

I remember going up to the Bescot, quite early in a Division 2 season, when they were top and we were second. We had a perfectly good goal ruled out, apparently because Martin Butler was climbing on somebody's back. They then scored two goals and Jimmy Mcintyre got a 90th minute consolation. We then lost to them in the playoff final. Somebody crocked Tony Rougier and Howard Webb did nothing about it. I recall him having only reffed a handful of league games at that pint.

A couple of years later, we'd lost three consecutive games 3-0, to Palace, Stoke and Wimbledon. The next game was away at Walsall and we had no confidence at all. Nicky Shorey got a late free kick to equalise for us.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 20 Jan 2016 11:34

There was an entertaining home 2-2 in the run up to that play-off defeat. They were quite handy that season.

Can't quite believe this all happened 15 years ago.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 20 Jan 2016 11:54

I'm looking forward to seeing

Ray Graydon
Zigor Aranalde
Jimmy Walker
Jorge Leitão
Darren Byfield
Don Goodman
Colin Lee
Paul Merson
Simon Osborn

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Jan 2016 11:58

Wouldn't mind a draw in the home tie and then an away fixture

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Jan 2016 12:00

Sutekh

Stick your memories and thoughts on Walsall below.

OK, all from memory. First or second home game 1976-77 season. Old division 3, just having gone up from the fourth tier. We won 2-1, after Alan Buckley had given them the lead in front of me on the Tilehurst end terrace. We lost the away match 6-1 at Fellows Park- I did not go to that one, but bought the programme at the following home match.

We got relegated.

Happy days.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 12:04

You can see one of their stands really clearly from the M6.

That's about all I can comment on Walsall.

wiggso

by wiggso » 20 Jan 2016 12:05

Winchester Royal I remember going up to the Bescot, quite early in a Division 2 season, when they were top and we were second. We had a perfectly good goal ruled out, apparently because Martin Butler was climbing on somebody's back. They then scored two goals and Jimmy Mcintyre got a 90th minute consolation. We then lost to them in the playoff final. Somebody crocked Tony Rougier and Howard Webb did nothing about it. I recall him having only reffed a handful of league games at that pint.

A couple of years later, we'd lost three consecutive games 3-0, to Palace, Stoke and Wimbledon. The next game was away at Walsall and we had no confidence at all. Nicky Shorey got a late free kick to equalise for us.

I was at this game and remember the fun and games at the train station afterwards. Walsall one side, Reading the other. Them shouting "rich farmers" at us was a definite highlight.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 20 Jan 2016 12:36

"Jimmy Walker's 4 foot 6, 4 foot 6, 4 foot 6, Jimmy Walker's 4 foot 6, in his high heels"

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 20 Jan 2016 12:46

On my least likeable clubs list, and they talk funny!

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 12:52

'Where's your caravan?' being chanted at Zigor Aranalde for the majority of an away game at the Bescot, and also giving Jimmy Walker some stick for being short. I seem to recall Walker being pretty cool about it, clapping the fans after the game and laughing along with it all. I think the game was a shit 0-0.

I also remember Vinny Samways scoring a free-kick in one of Coppell's early games, and us looking like complete dogshit throughout.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Jan 2016 13:08

Don't get me wrong I'd love to be there but the Black Country accent is so abhorent to me that I become a homicidal maniac if I ever hear it.

So I'll just stay at home, listen to it on the radio and make msyelf a Kipper Tie.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2016 14:11

floyd__streete Don't get me wrong I'd love to be there but the Black Country accent is so abhorent to me that I become a homicidal maniac if I ever hear it.

So I'll just stay at home, listen to it on the radio and make msyelf a Kipper Tie.

I see what you did there

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Jan 2016 14:20

For some reason Walsall were always my team on Ultimate Soccer Manager. Dunno why, always liked an underdog I guess.

Was fun upgrading the Bescot to a huge soulless stadium and I had a pretty good knowledge of their 1995 squad (well, knew the player names at the very least). Kyle Lightbourne in particular I remember smashing the goals in, and could still do a job for us even after a couple of promotions.

Now seems to be Coach at Bermudan side Robin Hood according to http://www.diomedia.com/imagePreview/01ASW380?imageId=17532267&imageCode=01ASW380&contributor=UPPA&siteName=www.diomedia.com&title=&location=&ds=800&newStyle=1&tc=FFFFFF&tbc=333333&qv=95&icc=1&cl=1

CSB.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Jan 2016 14:52

Green For some reason Walsall were always my team on Ultimate Soccer Manager. Dunno why, always liked an underdog I guess.

What. A. Game.

"Offer bung?"

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 20 Jan 2016 15:18

Better consider attending this one, after being named and shamed in the email flyer from the club.

The Royals secured safe passage to the FA Cup 4th Round last night thanks to a thrilling 5-2 win against Huddersfield Town. We noticed you didn't attend the game yesterday, so to avoid missing out on all the drama again, read on for ticket details for our 4th Round tie with Walsall...

Blimey, it's very rare that I miss a home game but, like a few others, I thought I'd park up at home and listen to Tellor and Mick last night. Only to find that the attendance police have rumbled me. The joys of having a season ticket.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Jan 2016 15:31

John Smith
Green For some reason Walsall were always my team on Ultimate Soccer Manager. Dunno why, always liked an underdog I guess.

What. A. Game.

"Offer bung?"

So much to love about that game.

The in game ceefax system

Talking to the press, all the cliches "That ref gave more cards at Christmas!", upgrading your stadium. You could even set the price of the refreshments IIRC, was kind of a sim city meets football manager game.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 20 Jan 2016 15:44

MoorgateRoyal 'Where's your caravan?' being chanted at Zigor Aranalde for the majority of an away game at the Bescot, and also giving Jimmy Walker some stick for being short. I seem to recall Walker being pretty cool about it, clapping the fans after the game and laughing along with it all. I think the game was a shit 0-0.

Exactly right. Which is what my earlier chant was a reference to. Walker was a very good sport about it all, as you say.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 15:49

Brum Royal
MoorgateRoyal 'Where's your caravan?' being chanted at Zigor Aranalde for the majority of an away game at the Bescot, and also giving Jimmy Walker some stick for being short. I seem to recall Walker being pretty cool about it, clapping the fans after the game and laughing along with it all. I think the game was a shit 0-0.

Exactly right. Which is what my earlier chant was a reference to. Walker was a very good sport about it all, as you say.

Yep - I must have missed your post in all the excitement.

I also remember calling Aranalde a pikey and being admonished by my dad in front of a load of pissed blokes, who surprisingly didn't seem to react at all.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2016 15:50

The Cap Better consider attending this one, after being named and shamed in the email flyer from the club.

The Royals secured safe passage to the FA Cup 4th Round last night thanks to a thrilling 5-2 win against Huddersfield Town. We noticed you didn't attend the game yesterday, so to avoid missing out on all the drama again, read on for ticket details for our 4th Round tie with Walsall...

Blimey, it's very rare that I miss a home game but, like a few others, I thought I'd park up at home and listen to Tellor and Mick last night. Only to find that the attendance police have rumbled me. The joys of having a season ticket.

Yep, I've been called out today as well, heaven forbid I spend £395 on a season ticket and have the gall to not spend £10 on a cup replay on a cold January evening.

171 posts