BTFG Wolves

Nuremberg Royal

Re: BTFG Wolves

by Nuremberg Royal » 14 Aug 2016 07:25

leon
tidus_mi2 We're still a team in transition, hopefully Stam learns from this result as frankly despite what the Wolves poster has put here, his fellow fans on their forum and by what it sounded like on the radio would suggest Reading being shit was the main factor in that game, not Wolves being good.

We've played some nice stuff so far and held good possession but there were signs that maybe it wasn't perfect, I remember a brief spell in the first half against Preston where we were passing it around the back but the midfield was pushed so far up they didn't have an outlet so Preston kept pushing the defence back.

We need a striker, frankly Kermorgant and Rakels have shown nothing to suggest they deserve a starting spot and unfortunately Samuel is injured again otherwise most likely would have been given a shot by now. We need to make getting a striker a priority, the Newcastle game might come too soon which is a shame because after their poor start, if we can make it hard for them their fans will quickly turn on them, but we have to have a striker in place for the Brighton game.

Not sure that would have made a difference today.

It's a very good point......I do agree we need another striker but the common view from all of my Wolverhampton relatives was that we had an incredibly soft underbelly and Wolves were never in any real danger.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 14 Aug 2016 10:39

Given that was Stam's first competitive away fixture, it was pretty clear to see where his head was prior to the game. In a season where on paper it's more competitive than ever, going to these grounds and trying to nullify the home attack with a possession based game is probably a sensible tactic. The problem was the players let Stam down on the day, or perhaps more accurately they're not good enough or used to the system as yet.

I thought that whilst there were a couple of hearts in mouth moments at the back, up until 40 minutes the tactic was working ok. The Wolves fans were getting frustrated with our constant possession, and whilst we hadn't created anything of note up to this point, we were growing into the game and enjoying more possession inside the Wolves half. Sadly McCleary, Kermorgant and Beerens offered very little against what looked to be a well drilled Wolves defence.

I'm not a fan of the adage 'a good time to score', but in this instance it has never been truer. Scoring just moments before and after half time meant it was game over, and the defence must look at themselves for the two sloppy goals given away.

Lastly, the Reading fans were absolutely terrible on the day. The quiet I can handle, but the moaning was just awful. Shouting 'get it forward' in the 30th minute of a match at Molineux is about as useful as a handbrake on a canoe.

Tl/dr: System was ok, players not up to it on the day, Reading fans are spastics.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 14 Aug 2016 11:38

WAZZOCK Shouting 'get it forward' in the 30th minute of a match at Molineux is about as useful as a handbrake on a canoe.

Quote of the year, priceless :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Aug 2016 11:56

windermere_royal
WAZZOCK Shouting 'get it forward' in the 30th minute of a match at Molineux is about as useful as a handbrake on a canoe.

Quote of the year, priceless :D

Instant contender for poster of the year with one sentence.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Aug 2016 14:36

jojo1
Royal_jimmy Meh another pathetic away performance. Al-Habsi stopped it being a thrashing.

1 win in 19 away games is awful. We need to be tight at the back and set up to try and nick 0-0s away from home and be hard to beat.

that oxf*rd is half the problem

The other 50% being that Stam & Co have had 8 weeks and only 3 competitive games to turn around a team in decline.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Aug 2016 15:03

So is passing it between our CBs and keeper when 2-0 down in the 70th minute tbf.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Aug 2016 15:43

The difference is I just get the impression we have a bigger plan overall, a more focused direction under Stam. My only concern is do we have good enough players to do it? On yesterday's showing no, but only time will tell.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Aug 2016 16:10

I have the same confusing thoughts every year.

Season ends - fans say "absolutely shambolic. Team are terrible, manager clueless. We are doomed next season"

About 2 weeks before season starts - "actually quite excited now. Team looks really good, just need a striker and we should do much better this season"

After first loss - "our team blatantly isn't good enough. They lack the quality needed. We are doomed"

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Aug 2016 16:34

CountryRoyal The difference is I just get the impression we have a bigger plan overall, a more focused direction under Stam. My only concern is do we have good enough players to do it? On yesterday's showing no, but only time will tell.

A midfield combination of Evans\Willams\Swift is too soft. Williams isn't the quickest to get back to cover.Prefer another defensive holding player instead of Willams. Then Swift can float more.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Aug 2016 16:42

Lower West
CountryRoyal The difference is I just get the impression we have a bigger plan overall, a more focused direction under Stam. My only concern is do we have good enough players to do it? On yesterday's showing no, but only time will tell.

A midfield combination of Evans\Willams\Swift is too soft. Williams isn't the quickest to get back to cover.Prefer another defensive holding player instead of Willams. Then Swift can float more.

I agree, I'm not sure we can accommodate Williams and Swift in the same midfield. Sort out a new centreback and it gets more interesting with VDB being able to push into midfield and add bite there... hopefully at the expense of Williams as I don't see him doing enough on his own without Evans too.

Not having such defensive soft touches at both fullback would help too... but that seems unlikely this season.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Aug 2016 16:45

Lower West

Get a quick (and quick thinking) centre back in, and VDB can take the defensive holding player role. Get a striker in who can actually score goals, and it takes the pressure off. Full back cover would be nice too, but centre back and sriker are key for me.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Aug 2016 17:56

Aw bless, jojo1 has got his headstick out for the new season. :|

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Aug 2016 18:05

Ian Royal
Lower West

I agree, I'm not sure we can accommodate Williams and Swift in the same midfield. Sort out a new centreback and it gets more interesting with VDB being able to push into midfield and add bite there... hopefully at the expense of Williams as I don't see him doing enough on his own without Evans too.

Not having such defensive soft touches at both fullback would help too... but that seems unlikely this season.

I agree and that is surely the thinking with VDB when we get a new CB. It was so evident when we lost the ball that there was just no midfield, Wolves had so much space in the middle of the park to run into.

Was slightly concerning that everyone made so many individual errors after two confidence boosting decent performances. Assume they just struggled from the off and never got into any rhythm. Hopefully they will learn. Already looking forward to Newcastle.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Aug 2016 18:07

bobby1413 I have the same confusing thoughts every year.

Season ends - fans say "absolutely shambolic. Team are terrible, manager clueless. We are doomed next season"

About 2 weeks before season starts - "actually quite excited now. Team looks really good, just need a striker and we should do much better this season"

After first loss - "our team blatantly isn't good enough. They lack the quality needed. We are doomed"

It's football. The fact you're still confused by fan's fickleness is even more confusing than the fickleness itself :lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Aug 2016 18:42

CountryRoyal
bobby1413 I have the same confusing thoughts every year.

It's football. The fact you're still confused by fan's fickleness is even more confusing than the fickleness itself :lol:

Haha good point! I should know better by now :)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Aug 2016 19:12

Just watched the highlights. WTAF. They looked tired, slow, clueless and directionless. Second to, and in, everything. It was a little like half the team expected to lose and be out played so just didn't put in everything. I find that hard to believe though. Teixiera really pissed all over us.

Lacklustre would be the word. McShane and Williams should have done better on the first. Stupid, stupid playing the keeper into danger frequently. Obita a massive soft touch at the corner, with Kermie marking space and Al-Habsi rooted to his line, possibly blocked from coming for the ball by Kermie. No out let offered and everything was off.

Bad day at the office early in the season. Forget it, work hard and finish off those last few signings, most importantly a centreback.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Aug 2016 19:16

.......not much point in showing too much excitement of anything in football until the August window closes

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Aug 2016 19:55

Ian Royal
Lower West

Getting Leicester to dtop playing their stupid b****y games with Liam Moore has to be the priority. Trouble is i think it'll go to deadline day....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Aug 2016 20:26

Ian Royal Just watched the highlights. WTAF. They looked tired, slow, clueless and directionless. Second to, and in, everything. It was a little like half the team expected to lose and be out played so just didn't put in everything. I find that hard to believe though. Teixiera really pissed all over us.

Lacklustre would be the word. McShane and Williams should have done better on the first. Stupid, stupid playing the keeper into danger frequently. Obita a massive soft touch at the corner, with Kermie marking space and Al-Habsi rooted to his line, possibly blocked from coming for the ball by Kermie. No out let offered and everything was off.

Bad day at the office early in the season. Forget it, work hard and finish off those last few signings, most importantly a centreback.

You're lucky. I had to witness another 80 minutes of that shit.

biff

by biff » 14 Aug 2016 20:27

Not overly concerned in the long run, but that was absolutely fcking shyte front to back.