BTFG Wolves

WAZZOCK

Re: BTFG Wolves

by WAZZOCK » 14 Aug 2016 20:47

CountryRoyal
WAZZOCK Shouting 'get it forward' in the 30th minute of a match at Molineux is about as useful as a handbrake on a canoe.

So is passing it between our CBs and keeper when 2-0 down in the 70th minute tbf.

Yep agreed, I think they were caught like rabbits in the headlights after conceding twice in 5 minutes of playing time.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Aug 2016 23:00

WAZZOCK
CountryRoyal
WAZZOCK Shouting 'get it forward' in the 30th minute of a match at Molineux is about as useful as a handbrake on a canoe.

So is passing it between our CBs and keeper when 2-0 down in the 70th minute tbf.

Yep agreed, I think they were caught like rabbits in the headlights after conceding twice in 5 minutes of playing time.

I honestly don't think so. We looked like that from the off imo. It was only a matter of time before we got ourselves into trouble and conceded a goal. Very disappointing indeed but hopefully the team learn from this.

One thing of concern was just how little we created, I couldn't work out if it was because Wolves were so organised or we were just shit. Probably a combination of the two. It took us 60+ minutes to register a shot on target (our only one of the game) and it was a tame effort from outside the box which went straight at the keeper.

We seem to be relying on wing play but we didn't get as many crosses into the box as we should, when we did the delivery was poor and if it wasn't there was no one in there to do anything with it. When we played ball to feet Kermorgant inveriably gave it away.

Basically bottom line is it was a day to forget, errors all over the pitch and not a lot of positives to take out of the game. That being said its a process, everyone tips us for mid-bottom of the table for a reason. I don't expect to go into every game thinking we will win but after seeing that we CAN actually play well I would like to see a little bit of consistency but most importantly improvement. Yesterday was slightly depressing because it was such a backwards step from Preston.

It would be nice if we can sort our away form out though. What is it 2 wins in 18? Both of those were against clubs which ultimately got relegated as well. No wonder we have such a poor away support :P

It's important we don't get carried away either way, we can make a much better judgment after 15 or so games and then see where we are at Christmas.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Aug 2016 09:18

Well that was really, really bad and not anything of an improvement on last season. I'm not sure the 4-3-3 shape suited an away game at Wolves - they had so much space and were playing basic triangles around Obita and getting crosses in.

Al Habsi was disastrous and gave the ball away twice in dodgy positions. As a shot stopper he's decent but he really has to be displaced this season for me.

Fans were very poor, I don't think I chanted once. Not a good away stand to be fair but brandy miniatures on sale cushioned the blow.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Aug 2016 13:08

John Smith Fans were very poor, I don't think I chanted once. Not a good away stand to be fair but brandy miniatures on sale cushioned the blow.

2 of us were singing Blue Army for about 5 minutes. Poor all around though.

On that note I thought the Wolves fans were good. Yes they actually had something to chant about but I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by so many home supports.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 15 Aug 2016 13:35

What a waste of a day that was. I'm sorry but tippy tappy football we get you no where in this league. It's so easy to defend against and we don't have the players to play that style. Just passing across the back four in your own half for five minutes and then giving it to the oposition is painfull to watch. When we have had success in this league it has been with fast wingers quick throw outs. kicks from the keepers. Turning teams around chasing back at pace. As soon as Wolves got the ball they looked to forward not sideways and despite having less of the ball should have won by a lot more than 2-0. We have no pace in the team no decent strikers shaky centre halfs.
Hope I'm wrong but this cold be very long season :(

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 15 Aug 2016 14:12

This possession based football seems to be favoured by Dutch coaches. It's fine as long as you have got defenders and midfielders who are comfortable on the ball. Apart from Swift we simply don't have the players to play this way.

JVDB is soooooooo not a centre back, he is an Oxford liability. Liam Moore???

A long season ahead folks.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Aug 2016 14:38

Chelsea/Royal This possession based football seems to be favoured by Dutch coaches. It's fine as long as you have got defenders and midfielders who are comfortable on the ball. Apart from Swift we simply don't have the players to play this way.

I can see Liam Kelly progressing into this team sooner rather than later.

This style of football invented by Cruyff and beautifully delivered at Barcelona by Pep Guardiola requires smaller players who can press the opposition like rats (Cruyff's words). They have to be awesome on the ball with great balance, great control, lots of skill. Qualities that smaller players like Xavi, Iniesta, Messi have in abundance. We know that Jaap loves Liam Kelly. Maybe he sees a bit of the Iniesta or Xavi in him. Someone that can perform in his style of total football.

Stephen Quinn should be alright in Jaaps game plan. Cooper is gonna struggle.

Let's see how Guardiola brings this style to Man City. Even Barcelona looked dodgy last night against Sevilla. Sevilla pressed Barcelona hard high up the pitch and Barcelona gave the ball away numerous times but Sevilla couldn't capitalise. Messi was awesome under pressure when collecting the ball from defence and keeping it when pressed hard. We don't have the players at Reading who can do that at the moment when pressured and better opponents than Preston and Plymouth will punish us as we discovered at Molineux.

Barcelona promoted a lot from within as they transitioned to this style of play under Cruyff and La Masia was very important. We can see the real focus on our academy these days. Are the club trying to create a little Barcelona in Berkshire? Does the talent exist within our own academy? Could Aaron Kuhl soon find himself in our side? He looks very comfortable on the ball. Is our future midfield Kuhl, Quinn and Kelly?

We need a razor sharp Luis Suarez style striker for the Stam system. I hope he has a good idea who he wants to bring in. Forestieri could be the Championship version of that. He's quick and skillful with a great finish.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Aug 2016 14:39

Top Flight
Chelsea/Royal This possession based football seems to be favoured by Dutch coaches. It's fine as long as you have got defenders and midfielders who are comfortable on the ball. Apart from Swift we simply don't have the players to play this way.

This style of football invented by Cruyff and beautifully delivered at Barcelona by Pep Guardiola requires smaller players who can press the opposition like rats (Cruyff's words). They have to be awesome on the ball with great balance, great control, lots of skill. Qualities that smaller players like Xavi, Iniesta, Messi have in abundance. We know that Jaap loves Liam Kelly. Maybe he sees a bit of the Iniesta or Xavi in him. Someone that can perform in his style of total football.

Let's see how Guardiola brings this style to Man City. Even Barcelona looked dodgy last night against Sevilla. Sevilla pressed Barcelona hard high up the pitch and Barcelona gave the ball away numerous times but Sevilla couldn't capitalise. Messi was awesome under pressure when collecting the ball from defence and keeping it when pressed hard. We don't have the players at Reading who can do that at the moment when pressured and better opponents than Preston and Plymouth will punish us as we discovered at Molineux.

Barcelona promoted a lot from within as they transitioned to this style of play under Cruyff and La Masia was very important. We can see the real focus on our academy these days. Are the club trying to create a little Barcelona in Berkshire? Does the talent exist within our own academy? Could Aaron Kuhl soon find himself in our side? He looks very comfortable on the ball. Is our future midfield Kuhl, Quinn and Kelly?

We need a razor sharp Luis Suarez style striker for the Stam system. I hope he has a good idea who he wants to bring in. Forestieri could be the Championship version of that. He's quick and skillful with a great finish.

Apparently, Newcastle have/are lining up a £12m bid for Forestieri, so consider ourselves out of that race.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Aug 2016 15:02

Hendo
Top Flight

Apparently, Newcastle have/are lining up a £12m bid for Forestieri, so consider ourselves out of that race.

Vydra kind of ticks those boxes. But he kept missing the target all the time.

It's funny, our stars of last season don't seem to be able to secure a club for themselves.

Vydra, Piazon, Robson Kanu, Ola John.... None of them have sorted out a move yet and won't be playing first team football next season for anybody as things stand. Hector won't be playing first team football as things stand. Neither will Ferdinand.

They really were that sh*t. Last season wasn't a bad dream. It really did happen.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Aug 2016 15:33

Top Flight
Hendo
Top Flight

Vydra kind of ticks those boxes. But he kept missing the target all the time.

It's funny, our stars of last season don't seem to be able to secure a club for themselves.

Vydra, Piazon, Robson Kanu, Ola John.... None of them have sorted out a move yet and won't be playing first team football next season for anybody as things stand. Hector won't be playing first team football as things stand.

The only player who doesn't have a club is HRK. Vydra is still at Watford, Chelsea are lining up a loan more for Piazon probably back to Brazil, John has gone to Toulouse and Hector has just signed on loan at Frankfurt.

Top Flight keeping you up to date since June 2006.

:|

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 15 Aug 2016 15:42

Depressingly all we are doing at the moment is copying what we did under Atkins. The same pointless passing along the back five - that has got f all to do with Barcelona or Dutch football in general (except maybe for Ajax) it is just sh*te football. If you keep doing it then players don't take responsibility they take the easy way out and pass back or sideways. If you can't pass the ball forward then you have no point in being on the pitch. Reading have been unable, except for a brief period under Clarkerecently to pass through and around in midfield and we are even worse now. Every game this season we are an accident waiting to happen!

Also leave off Cooper he is perfectly capable of passing to midfield players in front of him if required and I would prefer him any day to a Dutch guy who consistently plays his colleagues into trouble with short passes that don't reach them and which the opposition intercept and counterattack.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 15 Aug 2016 15:53

Comfortably beaten. We struggled to work the ball from the back into the final third so looked toothless and we gave the ball away cheaply, and our defence really cant cope under much pressure. Joey V struggled with his lack of pace and was given the run around. Kermogant and Rakels really not up to the required standard.

Need to stick with it though, assuming we do not get sucked into a relegation battle, this season can be used to nail down our new tactical approach and lay a blueprint for the coming seasons.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Aug 2016 15:57

The Quiet Man Depressingly all we are doing at the moment is copying what we did under Atkins. The same pointless passing along the back five - that has got f all to do with Barcelona or Dutch football in general (except maybe for Ajax) it is just sh*te football. If you keep doing it then players don't take responsibility they take the easy way out and pass back or sideways. If you can't pass the ball forward then you have no point in being on the pitch. Reading have been unable, except for a brief period under Clarkerecently to pass through and around in midfield and we are even worse now. Every game this season we are an accident waiting to happen!

Also leave off Cooper he is perfectly capable of passing to midfield players in front of him if required and I would prefer him any day to a Dutch guy who consistently plays his colleagues into trouble with short passes that don't reach them and which the opposition intercept and counterattack.

Obviously we need to improve and be more effective. It's not going to happen quickly. It will take time. In the meantime we will have to endure pointless passing along the back five and plenty of accidents.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 15 Aug 2016 17:00

It wasn't THAT bad. We were outplayed, yes, but it as simple mistakes that led to our demise not complete ineptitude. As someone who, with a largely new squad, new manager and coming off of two relatively poor seasons, only ever expected a top half finish this year, nothing out there screamed to me that we can't do that. Put the effort in on the training pitch to fix those mistakes and we will look back on this as one poor showing. If we don't work on those mistakes, that's when the problem begins.

Also, Wolves is still the worst place to go as an away fan.

double d

by double d » 15 Aug 2016 17:03

Will95 It wasn't THAT bad. We were outplayed, yes, but it as simple mistakes that led to our demise not complete ineptitude. As someone who, with a largely new squad, new manager and coming off of two relatively poor seasons, only ever expected a top half finish this year, nothing out there screamed to me that we can't do that. Put the effort in on the training pitch to fix those mistakes and we will look back on this as one poor showing. If we don't work on those mistakes, that's when the problem begins.

Also, Wolves is still the worst place to go as an away fan.

I remember years ago they threw piss all over reading fans from the top.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 15 Aug 2016 18:04

A bit late to the party on this one, but I would sum up that performance as very lightweight. The instruction from the bench was obviously to pass it out of the back, but Wolves had obviously done their homework on us and pressed us so high that the passes went backwards more often than not, the defence got deeper and deeper, and so at one point we had McShane playing a square pass to AAH inside the 6 yard box. Sometimes a long ball is needed to get the ball out and regroup and relieve the pressure a little bit (or even just to force the opposition back as happened a bit more in the second half) but first half we got so obsessed with short passes it just cramped us up. To be fair to the defence, and Evans who was coming deep to pick the ball up from the two centre backs, there was very little movement in front of them to create an opportunity to pass the ball forwards along the ground. I've only been to the Plymouth game prior to Saturday, but that game had so much energy, vibrancy and movement off the ball, it was easy for us to build our way up the pitch in short ground based passing. Wolves totally stopped us doing that.