BFTG Derby

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Derby

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2016 11:34

John Madejski's Wallet
sandman The reason he looks better for Wales is because Coleman is wise enough to play Gunter further up the pitch and have a third Central Defender to cover for his defensive weaknesses.

I think that should be our preferred formation tbh

It has been in a number of games but no clue why on earth Obita and Gunter were sat deeper most of the time yesterday. It was Derby yet Reading started playing defensive snoozeball right from the kick off in the first half and with the full backs being deeper there was a real disconnect from what masquerades as the attacking half of the team which totally failed to show sufficient movement for there to be any other passing other than sideways across the back.

Also when there was the opportunity to go for a ball down the channel either Beerens or McCleary weren't there having drifted inside or the full backs elected to just put the ball back round the defence again rather than hit what should have been a comfortable pass to one of the wingers.

Just so poor all round.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Oct 2016 11:50

Perhaps we were just cautious after midweek and that came across as very ponderous, even more so than usual.

Derby have a lot of talent remember, they usually have their bad patch towards the end of the season, so they'll be up there.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Oct 2016 11:52

That was fairly appalling.

The system doesn't work when mcshane is the outlet. Which he invariably is. He failed yesterday to get the ball to Swift in midfield who was making space. He doesn't have the pass in him. As a result the ball kept going backwards and sideward or down the channel to be lost.

When we put 2 up and used the wings more we looked dangerous.

For a team with wingers and a decent header of a ball I'm lost as to why we don't do this all game?

I like Moore. Gunter really is a pansy and seemed keen to pass to a Derby player.

I started to boo Blackman and then stopped as I thought the reaction was a little over the top.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2016 12:20

Great save from AAH off Vydra's header.

Irritating deflections for the goal.

Couple of decent chances for Kermie. Very stronger header, just a little close to Carson.

Good corner from Beerens for the goal. Poor Derby defending.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Oct 2016 12:22

Ian Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
sandman The reason he looks better for Wales is because Coleman is wise enough to play Gunter further up the pitch and have a third Central Defender to cover for his defensive weaknesses.

I think that should be our preferred formation tbh

Lovely post from Herring as usual, thank you. As a general point based on Gunter's overall time here, I agree with Sandman and JMW, he's quite good in possession and movement beyond the halfway line. He's a total wet blanket in our half of the pitch though, dithery, over-cautious, hopeful and negative.

Three at the back could actually suit this team with Moore's ability to bring it forward and such defensively flakey full backs who are ok once they go past the halfway line.

Has to be said two of our best performances this season have when we've mixed up the formation including going 3 at the back.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 02 Oct 2016 13:18

For eighty minutes I was bored stiff , last ten minutes when we pressed up from and put them on the back foot was much better. I think I understand what Stam is trying to build and in the main we should be happy but other teams will easily work out how today against us and often do us like derby nearly did . Desperate for more options up front Harriet looked more like Ainsley Harriett

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Oct 2016 13:29

Ian Herring Like someone else here said it was good to see Stam urging the players forward. But that (hopefully) should be being looked at in training, mais non?

If you listen to Stam's post match interviews. Sounds as if training is minimal. With 7 games in 23 days there's little opportunity to work on anything in great detail. Sounds as if use will be made of the international break.

Crux

by Crux » 02 Oct 2016 13:57

To be honest I'm not surprised about how shit we were yesterday. We are shit.

Not reactionary at all it's just not the type of football I enjoy. Coupled with a shit Lego out of town ground full of utter plastics and without the traditional football fans that seem to be staying away in droves i think I'll spend my money doing something else from now on. Just not enjoying the whole 'experience' any more and the buzz went long ago.

So long RFC, it's been fun but you can keep your new age Paul and Ian type fans, it's not for me any more.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Oct 2016 14:27

Crux To be honest I'm not surprised about how shit we were yesterday. We are shit.

Not reactionary at all it's just not the type of football I enjoy. Coupled with a shit Lego out of town ground full of utter plastics and without the traditional football fans that seem to be staying away in droves i think I'll spend my money doing something else from now on. Just not enjoying the whole 'experience' any more and the buzz went long ago.

So long RFC, it's been fun but you can keep your new age Paul and Ian type fans, it's not for me any more.

Wow, oxf*rd you too I guess.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Oct 2016 15:08

Proper flounce.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Oct 2016 15:22

Generally speaking, Gunts had a pretty shit game yesterday, but unlike Beerens and McCleary who seemed to hide a lot when things weren't going their way, he was still trying to make himself available as an outlet, and there was at least one cross that better attackers (i.e., Welsh ones!) would have made more of.

He looks better in a better team, most players do, to be fair! But unlike HRK, I don't think you could accuse him of saving better performances for the big occasion. He was still trying, he just had one of those days when nothing was working. At least the passes he gave away were when he was trying to play it forward.

Ian Herring 'Put a Wales shirt on, Gunter!'

Instead of him putting on a Welsh shirt, maybe it's the supporters that need to.
Doubt he's the only player on the team that would play better if they weren't constantly being barracked. Why do Ireland, Iceland and Wales play better than the sum of the parts, but England don't?
Because they know that them trying their best will be appreciated even when it doesn't come off. It's hardly surprising if it's easier to play if you know the supporters have your back.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2016 15:38

Lower West
Ian Herring Like someone else here said it was good to see Stam urging the players forward. But that (hopefully) should be being looked at in training, mais non?

If you listen to Stam's post match interviews. Sounds as if training is minimal. With 7 games in 23 days there's little opportunity to work on anything in great detail. Sounds as if use will be made of the international break.

I doubt it as a lot of players are on international duty. Could be mid November before he gets a "free" week with the whole squad.

Really there needs to be a PL1 and PL2 both with 18 clubs and three FL divisions under that with 24 clubs each. 4 up and down between all divisions incl between FL3 and the Conference

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Oct 2016 16:25

Sutekh
I doubt it as a lot of players are on international duty. Could be mid November before he gets a "free" week with the whole squad.

How many players are missing?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Oct 2016 16:52

I have just seen the video of our goal. Boy it's a good job Evans finished that off or how embarrassed would Harriot be? He was 1 metre out with a completely open goal yet did a great defensive job to send the ball the wrong way.

It just shows how tight things are in games like this. If Vydra could head the ball away from the keeper we'd have conceded another; if Kermogant had put his instep behind the ball when put through he could hardly have missed.

That was not a great afternoon out but we got a point, moved up a place in the league and on we go.

Glenlittle07

by Glenlittle07 » 02 Oct 2016 17:06

I think we are doing Ok considering are lack of options in the last third . We have to be patient and give Stam time also Chris Gunter was woeful yesterday .

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Oct 2016 17:52

West Stand Man I have just seen the video of our goal. Boy it's a good job Evans finished that off or how embarrassed would Harriot be? He was 1 metre out with a completely open goal yet did a great defensive job to send the ball the wrong way.

It just shows how tight things are in games like this. If Vydra could head the ball away from the keeper we'd have conceded another; if Kermogant had put his instep behind the ball when put through he could hardly have missed.

That was not a great afternoon out but we got a point, moved up a place in the league and on we go.

Also seems amazing how there were virtually 3 Reading players queuing up to score and no defenders anywhere near them ...

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 02 Oct 2016 17:56

Crux To be honest I'm not surprised about how shit we were yesterday. We are shit.

Do keep up. Its Tarquin, Cuthbert, Rupert and Rory now.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2016 18:20

Nonsense freekick to give away by Gunter.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Oct 2016 18:56

No we are not shit. We are, currently, boring to watch but we are in the top half of the table and have taken points from some of the top teams.

You then go on to give yourself away with the 'lego' comment and the traditional fans bit. Most of those complaining about the lack of tradition are too young to remember what tradition actually is. Anyway, I doubt you'll be missed.

Glenlittle07

by Glenlittle07 » 02 Oct 2016 19:56

I think we are doing ok considering our lack of options in the final third but I agree Chris Gunter was awful yesterday .