BFTG - Rotherham

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

BFTG - Rotherham

by Kitsondinho » 22 Oct 2016 17:57

Thought we played well and controlled the game for long periods. Rotherham were very direct and did cause us a few problems at set pieces. Al-Habsi made 3 decent saves and looked really solid. The back 4 dealt well with open attacks from Rotherham and I was particuarly impressed with McShane today (but then again, when isn't he excellent?!) Felt sorry for Liam Kelly, as it seemed to be a tactical switch. However, pushing JVDB in front of the CBs worked a treat.

We attacked and probed well....but can we please buy/get in on loan a striker who can score/take pens. I was impressed with Yann again today...worked his socks off and held it up well BUT he looks a million miles off scoring! Where is Samuel?! Surely he needs a go now. We need to start converting our possession into goals!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Rotherham

by genome » 22 Oct 2016 18:00

Just watched the Sky Sports highlights. Looks like Ali had an absolute blinder.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Oct 2016 20:20

Lol at the BBC texter who reckons he is the worst keeper in the championship....bound to be an hna poster :roll:

bassavage

by bassavage » 22 Oct 2016 20:43

Thought we struggled get to grips with Rotherham's directness early doors and they caused us a few problems from corners in particular. After that we totally dominated the ball for the rest of the 1st half without going anywhere. Apart from a 5 minute spell midway through the 2nd half when Rotherham caused us more problems from set pieces (Al Habsi made 1 superb save in particular), we absolutely bossed it. Should have scored well before we did - they couldn't live with us when we passed it quickly and had players moving off each other as proven by van den Berg's run for the pen and when Swift hit the bar.

All in all, when we move the ball forward and play it quickly we look very dangerous. We could do with a bit more threat in the striker position but hey an away win is an away win - particularly scoring as late as we did when it could quite easily have become one of those frustrating afternoons.

P.S. First time I've been away to Rotherham since 2005 so first time at the new ground - have to say think it's a cracking little ground, particularly for a new stadium. Don't think we will be back for another league game any time soon though with the form they are in.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Oct 2016 21:00

Got home back south about an hour ago. Was a good win v a battling Rotherham side.

The first half we were poor and really struggled against their physicality but second half we were awesome and should have won much more comfortably had it not been down to poor finishing from us (penalty included) and good defending by Rotherham.

Was good to see Kelly start but was disappointed when he got subbed. But we played our best football with van den Berg in midfield and it changed the game without a doubt

I think unless we buy a decent finisher in Jan then we are a nailed on mid table side

Decentish turn out from our fans (644 in total) but a poor atmosphere. I don't understand why our fans are always so quiet at away games and ive been an away day regular for 7 years now. Villa fans really got behind their team and it got them over the line. We could have won more comfortably with a louder backing today. It was a dull game but I think we need to improve our noise on the road as a whole

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2016 21:54

Royal_jimmy Got home back south about an hour ago. Was a good win v a battling Rotherham side.

The first half we were poor and really struggled against their physicality but second half we were awesome and should have won much more comfortably had it not been down to poor finishing from us (penalty included) and good defending by Rotherham.

Was good to see Kelly start but was disappointed when he got subbed. But we played our best football with van den Berg in midfield and it changed the game without a doubt

I think unless we buy a decent finisher in Jan then we are a nailed on mid table side

Decentish turn out from our fans (644 in total) but a poor atmosphere. I don't understand why our fans are always so quiet at away games and ive been an away day regular for 7 years now. Villa fans really got behind their team and it got them over the line. We could have won more comfortably with a louder backing today. It was a dull game but I think we need to improve our noise on the road as a whole

Doubt well get a decent finisher in January tbf.. Mid table sounds fair enough considering our recent problems.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Oct 2016 22:37

Royal_jimmy Got home back south about an hour ago. Was a good win v a battling Rotherham side.

Villa are a big club with big backing, its not the Reading way to be similar

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Oct 2016 23:13

With the exception of Swift. Difficult to see where the goals are going to come from this season from the front players. Even when there are chances we rarely seem to hit the target or cause the opposition keeper any real problems.

At least Stam made the substitution early in the game. While Kelly was probing with his passing. Simply offered nothing in defence. Against what was a tall physical side. In the second half JVB also drove the team forward. Good to see someone pick up the mantle.

Another 3 points in the bag, a clean sheet, and another game to work on the style of play.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Oct 2016 00:28

Gutted for Liam Kelly, but credit where credit's due. Stam got rightfully crucified for his lack of subs on Tuesday, but he got it right today.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 23 Oct 2016 07:41

Pepe the Horseman Gutted for Liam Kelly, but credit where credit's due. Stam got rightfully crucified for his lack of subs on Tuesday, but he got it right today.

Agreed. It was bold of him to make that change, but it worked brilliantly. Also great to see him have a long chat with Kelly as he came off. On Twitter, Kelly has reacted in a really positive manner, so it is hopefully positive all round! I was hoping Stam would make an attacking change towards the end, but as we won, I'm not going to moan!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Oct 2016 07:56

Yeah, credit to Stam for giving one of our academy products a grand total of 25 minutes.

It's 25 minutes more than most of them will get, outside the cup competitions, under his management.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Oct 2016 10:30

sandman Yeah, credit to Stam for giving one of our academy products a grand total of 25 minutes.

It's 25 minutes more than most of them will get, outside the cup competitions, under his management.

Did that feel good posting that?

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 23 Oct 2016 12:07

Great away day that!

Kelly coming off was the right decision, noticed from their set peices he was just a spare man leaving us one down in the aerial battle.

Got really annoyed when twice in 5 minutes in the first half we tried to play kermogant in behind the back, he's slower than 90% of centre backs in the league, that's not the job he's there to do.

Agree with the poor noise levels, was stood on the back row and had people sat on their hands in the row in front.

Hopefully Rotherham some how stay up, would be happy to go back next year.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Oct 2016 12:39

Did Stam even bother to scout Rotherham? Surely he started Kelly knowing that they would play an aerial style.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Oct 2016 12:59

Sooo let me get this straight, Stam gets pilloried for not adjusting the side by making any subs on Tuesday. So he learns from that and adjusts the side (correctly) with a sub yesterday, and still gets criticised?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2016 13:12

Sandman only does criticism

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2016 13:19

Ian Royal Sandman only does unwarranted criticism

Corrected for you.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2016 13:38

NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal Sandman only does unwarranted criticism

Corrected for you.

I was wrong and I thank you for correcting me.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Oct 2016 14:06

Score when the substitution was made? 0-0.

So for all of Rotherham's "peppering" of our goal the bottom club had scored a grand total of zero goals.

90% of players in this league are going to be bigger and stronger than Liam Kelly. He's not going to get many minutes if he's substituted every time we get a tiny bit of pressure put on us in the air.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Oct 2016 14:13

sandman Did Stam even bother to scout Rotherham? Surely he started Kelly knowing that they would play an aerial style.

Was the simply way the game started. As you'd expect the Rotherham players came out to impress the new manager. Created pressure with a number of inswinging corners and throws. Kelly was the one to make way. In another midfield trio he'd be fine.