BFTG - Bristol City (A)

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Bristol City (A)

by Avon Royal » 02 Jan 2017 21:17

Well that was fun 8) Going back to work tomorrow suddenly doesn't seem so bad.....

The come back was obviously skills, but it somewhat takes away from the fact we were sloppy and toothless for much of the game. Both of their goals were gifted to them and for all our possession we we rarely looked like scoring until the last half hour. However, lots of credit due for the never-say-die attitude. Lovely team spirit at the moment.

Oh, and a special mention for Chrissy Gunter's blatant goading of the City fans after the winner. Bit of a dick move really, but we'll let him off this one :wink:

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 02 Jan 2017 21:21

Avon Royal Well that was fun 8) Going back to work tomorrow suddenly doesn't seem so bad.....

The come back was obviously skills, but it somewhat takes away from the fact we were sloppy and toothless for much of the game. Both of their goals were gifted to them and for all our possession we we rarely looked like scoring until the last half hour. However, lots of credit due for the never-say-die attitude. Lovely team spirit at the moment.

Oh, and a special mention for Chrissy Gunter's blatant goading of the City fans after the winner. Bit of a dick move really, but we'll let him off this one :wink:

McShane taking the piss out of their number 9 when he dribbled the ball over the line was a Lolz moment as well

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Jan 2017 21:23

our pattern of play (and procession in our own half) dictates that it will backfire many times.....today it did....however, even without a "recognised" striker, we have sent out the signal that we can gift you a couple of goals head-start.

Closing in on the Magpies.......amazing

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2017 21:25

Great result. We created our own problems against a poor Brizzle side that we set up rather than them creating opportunities for themselves.

Kelly is a revelation, I've always liked him as a player but was worried that the rough and tumble of the Championship would see him struggle, glad to say I was wrong.

Great atmosphere in the away end, people who say the Madejski is quiet have obviously never been to the likes of Ashton Gate as the home fans were terrible.

Was impressed with Brizzle when they came down here and thought they were unlucky not come away with a point but today, Abrahams apart, they were awful.

LOL at McShane mocking Abrahams trip over the ball in the first half.

Kelly MotM

George_

by George_ » 02 Jan 2017 21:29

Enjoy days like these because they don't come around often, but when they do you remember why we travel all these miles to watch this lot.

I dont care about the first 70. We won. WHO CARES.

Great away day, good atmosphere with 90% stood. Absolute scenes for the winner.

Roll on United.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 02 Jan 2017 21:29

sandman Great atmosphere in the away end, people who say the Madejski is quiet have obviously never been to the likes of Ashton Gate as the home fans were terrible.

Agreed.

Although I think that the outside space at Ashton Gate is used much better than it is at the Madejski, the fact it is more compact creates a better pre-match buzz.

Coppell's Ghost

by Coppell's Ghost » 02 Jan 2017 21:38

George_ Enjoy days like these because they don't come around often, but when they do you remember why we travel all these miles to watch this lot.

Exactly !
winning 3-2 when you're not playing great - I'll take that.
absolute bedlam where we were sat - good way to start the year.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jan 2017 22:27

Jagermesiter1871 What really did Sidwell do after he left?

Managed to stay in the premier league?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jan 2017 22:28

NewCorkSeth
Nameless
NewCorkSeth I can only think of 3 players who have done well after leaving us in recent(ish) seasons.. the lesson is stay as long as you can.

Sidwell, Hahnemann, Gylfi, Long, Austin

The list of those who failed to flourish is certainly much longer.

Great to see Kelly making his mark. Hope he has better advisors than Tish....

I was going for Gylfi, Sidwell and Antonio.
I always felt Long had more promise than he's shown.

Carrico actually os the obvious success story..

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 02 Jan 2017 23:02

Well that was fun.

We started well and the pattern of play in the 1st minute continued for virtually the full 90. Bristol City really are a broken shell of the team they were earlier in the season- even the team that we edged past at home. I suppose you could argue that their set-up today nearly won 3 points courtesy of our gifts, but how negative can you get? Allowed us to completely control the game and in the end the pressure was too much. Brutal chanting at Johnson at FT, but that's what you get for putting your tunnel underneath the away fans (and whining on the touch line for 90 mins).

Kelly's introduction was key- immediate influence, closing down their keeper, harrying the opposition and winning the ball back which put them under a lot of pressure. He injected the energy we needed and once he grabbed the first we always looked likely to complete the comeback. Two classy finishes from Kermogant, Thought Williams and McShane were also excellent today.

Blackett and JvdB continue to be the weak links in this team. Blackett shows some nice touches but is positionally suspect, he has had a good run but I think Obita has to stay in the team. The penalty was soft but there really was no need to go into a tackle there, stand him up!! Joey is a liability, standard yellow (a good one to take to be fair) and gave the ball away in critical positions. And can someone tell Gunter to stop playing for free kicks, it is a tad embarrassing.

Loved the spirit throughout the team today- you could tell at HT that they were frustrated to be behind, and even at 2-0 knew we were capable of winning the game, e.g. Gunter running to put ball on their corner spot. Reaction at full time was brilliant too, huge huddle in the Bristol City half- think this win can really push us on and give us more confidence away from home.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jan 2017 23:17

Will rank that my third best away game behind West Ham and Southampton if only for the scenes at the end.

Bullet points of the day.

Pig of a journey and near on 4 hours due to M4 crash. All car parks full. Turned up at a prepay car park in a school, kids on gate said no chance, offered him a fiver and he said park where you want lol. Sat in seat at 2:59pm.

Nice ground.

Last 20 mins is exactly how we should play but not being able to do it. Thankfully Kelly had initiative to drive forward and that is what made difference.

Tip hat to Meite also as his cameo had City running scared and similar to Obita.

Personally think van den berg is behind Evans and Blackett behind Obita.

Lol at McShane for comedy sketch and no issue with Gunter after being barracked second half.

Can't stand there manager. A right squealer and fitting he got a good send off by us.

So blessed to be enjoying this season with my little lad. He is so into it, it's brilliant.

Loving what this team represents and hope more from the fans as players are responding and noting.

Home by 6:45pm. Great day out.

Didcotroyals15

by Didcotroyals15 » 03 Jan 2017 00:11

Brilliant day out and it was definitely the best away atmosphere this season. I hugged a stranger when Kermogrant scored the winner and someone in the row in front of me let off a pyro . This away game is up there with West ham and Southampton.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Jan 2017 00:58

sandman Great result. We created our own problems against a poor Brizzle side

It seems most weeks, in some eyes, we are playing "poor" teams that we somehow manage to overcome despite our own shortcomings when my own take is the exact opposite.

In my view, the standard just keeps getting better and I seriously wonder how close Steve Coppell's team would have got to 106pts had it been playing in this season's Championship.

Not so long ago, few teams promoted to the Premiership established themselves in the top flight. Now, looking upwards, every club outside the top 7 has spent time in the 2nd tier in recent years.

Relegated Newcastle, who were supposed to be wiping the floor with the rest of us, have already lost 7 games while Aston Villa, despite an impressive start to Steve Bruce's tenure, currently occupy 12th place. Norwich, the other relegated club, having been recently on a run to rival Bristol City's, finally won again and are up to 9th.

The fact bottom 3 side Blackburn has already "doubled" Newcastle is a good indication of how many "poor" sides there are in this division; None, and that's what I love about it.

A simply fantastic result today. Time for the resident pessimists to start dreaming :P Thanks for all the reports.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 03 Jan 2017 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 03 Jan 2017 01:59

RG7Fan
notloyalenuffroyal Before today I had never:

1. Hugged a random stranger.
2. Been thrown down the stairs by a bundle of people (well, not since Elm Park)
3. Had to explain to my son that the word that rhymes with Hunt is not to be repeated. :D

Brilliant. Liam Kelly is the new love in my life.

Great post.

New contract or not, I cant see us hanging on to Kelly for long unfortunately

Are you a relative or his agent? Calm down

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Jan 2017 11:01

At 60 minutes in and 2-0 down after our umpteenth failure to pick out a final ball, or our lack of willing to do anything other than pass it side to side, I was really questioning my decision do to dry January (taking a day off for United away obvs), but that come back was brilliant. De ja vu of 11/12 when we did the same against them and Manset got the winner, I was at Uni at the time and so couldn't go but to anyone that went to both - what was more scenes at the end? This or that?

It's easy to get overawed with a win of that nature but had we lost that we would have had no one else to blame but ourselves. We started brightly but tapered off and never really clicked. The play was too slow and disjointed, in contrast I thought City (finishing aside) looked decent, quicker and hungrier getting to the ball and dangerous coming forward. I think they were allowed to grow into the game by an incompetent set of officials who were reluctant to blow for anything meaning Bristol could press us with more physicality which certainly gave them confidence and hampered us. How the ref took 60 odd minutes to give a yellow was comical and was met with an appropriately loud sarcastic cheer.

That being said for all of our mediocrity we weren't threatened that much but we had a few shaky moments at the back and so it was of no surprise to anyone how we conceded. Messing about with the ball in our corner, Gunter passes it back to Al-Habsi, and whilst under pressure he might have had time to take a touch, but his first time miss kick clearance went low and hard towards McShane who couldn't quite readjust his feet to gather the ball. Consequently their player had space to run into take a pot shot - which again should have been dealt with better than Al-Habsi, and the rebound was put in by the very impressive Abraham. At that point thought I felt we could still get something out of the game which was reaffirmed when we hit the crossbar at the end of the first half. We started the second with so little urgency though and while it was a silly challenge I thought the penalty was soft, it certainly looked it from the away end anyway. 2-0 down and for anyone that has watched us recently = game over.

What followed was so frustrating and reminiscent of the latter stages of Adkins, there was no urgency, indecision and, sideways passing. Bristol defended well for the most part but its easy to when you sit back and have everyone behind the ball, still made it easy for them with our lack of movement and static play. Then came the substitution and on came MOTM Kelly. Was quick, nimble, hungry, upped the tempo, looked to get in behind and was ultimately the difference today. Got the first goal which kick started our come back and was a neat little finish across goal. Has to be said felt Fielding should have done a lot better for all of the goals but I'm not complaining. I'd be rightly pissed off if I was a Bristol City fan, they sat back and shut up shop far too early.

Ratings

Al-Habsi 3 - Untested with the shots that went straight at him and were comfortable, almost cost us the game with poor handling and distribution under pressure. For our style of play, long term, we need a better option. He's fine for now as the team is learning, but its paramount our keeper is better with the ball.

Gunter 5 - Showed willingness but was very poor going forward.

McShane 6 - Him and Gunter both guilty of pissing it about at the back too much, made some important challenges though.

Moore 7 - Not his best game but still our most solid defender, didn't take so many chances playing out of defence today, a lot more hoofs but for the most part were necessary.

Blackett 6 - Thought he did ok, and surprisingly decent going forward. Think it was his challenge for the penalty but it did look soft.

Swift 6 - A lot of endeavour but it very much looked like he has been out for a while. Needs to get back some match sharpness.

VDB 6 - Gave the ball away cheaply at times but he wasn't alone in that regard. Was often an outlet in the attacking third but didn't have the ability to pick out a killer pass, slowed the play down too much, felt Evans would have been a better option.

Williams 7 - Thought he was our best midfielder. A lot of energy and while not everything came off and there were some misplaced passes his tempo and the pace he plays at was crucial in the latter stages of the game.

McCleary 5 - One good run at the start of the game but if I'm being honest felt it was his poorest game of the season, just wasn't his day.

Beerens 6 - Felt he was marginally more effective than the above.

Kermorgant 8 - Played well throughout but didn't have a lot of opportunities. Hit the bar in the first half with a good header, got the equaliser and then the winner. Good feet and always looked to play people in and get attacks going.

Subs

Obita 6 - More attacking, got a couple decent balls in but was nothing overly special. Prefer him going forward than Blackett though.

Meite 6 - Looked lively when he came on. WE'VE GOT MEITEEEEEE

Kelly 9 - MOTM. One of the most impressive cameos I've seen in a while. Took the game by the scruff of the neck and was the reason we got anything out of the game at all. Brilliant performance from the lad.

Absolutely mental scenes at the end down the front and it was great to see how much it meant to the team walking off. Bit of banter towards LJ and City players but dissapointed to hear one guy repeatedly calling Abraham "a black pcunt". Didn't really think it was necessary tbh.. Not east because it's not even like he was a dick, he played well and I felt sorry for him that the rest of his team oxf*rd it up.

Liked our reply to "2-nil on your big day out". "3-2 on our big day out, 3-2 on our big day out". Anyway great day in the end its nice to finally get a come back win.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Jan 2017 11:41

Harsh on Ali. Not his best game but crucial save at two down after Moore had slipped.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2017 11:46

CountryRoyal

Really? Assist on the first, key pass for the second....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Jan 2017 11:56

muirinho
CountryRoyal

Really? Assist on the first, key pass for the second....

I've literally just seen the highlights and instantly knew I'd be pulled up on this.

Whatever he was still gash I hate him.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Jan 2017 11:57

Their number 4 was shocking in our first two goals (who was he?) - he was about half a mile away from both Kelly and Kerm - they had time to control, make a cuppa, and then place it into the bottom corner

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2017 12:15

TBM Their number 4 was shocking in our first two goals (who was he?) - he was about half a mile away from both Kelly and Kerm - they had time to control, make a cuppa, and then place it into the bottom corner

Aden Flint.

[irrelevant rant about whoscored ratings]
looked up whoscored.com to check, and noticed it had given him a rating of 7.07. Our 4, the gloriously-composed VDB gets a rating of 7.73. Meanwhile, Liam Moore gets a rating of 6.12 and McShane 6.8. And this, ladies and gents, is why anybody who uses whoscored for ratings should be slapped about the head with a wet fish.

[/irrelevant rant about whoscored ratings]