CONFIMRED - Tiago Ilori

354 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Tiago Ilori

by genome » 19 Jan 2017 14:41

Nameless If he's not going to use him in a Championship game you wonder when he will use him. He could play for the U21 next week but he's going to have to play sometime.
How long had Moore been without a game when he played his first game for us ?

His last appearance was in January for Bristol City (against us, funnily enough). 10 appearances in the Champ last season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 Jan 2017 14:45

No reason to think Ilori isn't fit is there ? He's been training just like anyone else. He may not be match sharp but you get that playing matches.... If Cooper was picked on Saturday no one would say his fitness was an issue.
Agree he'll need a bit of time to build an understanding with his team mates. There can only be so much of that done on the training pitch, again he will need to be playing to really develop that.
I could understand if they thought Derby was too soon but if he doesn't feature against Fulham or Derby I would be amazed.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 Jan 2017 14:46

genome
Nameless If he's not going to use him in a Championship game you wonder when he will use him. He could play for the U21 next week but he's going to have to play sometime.

His last appearance was in January for Bristol City (against us, funnily enough). 10 appearances in the Champ last season.

Worse than that he wasn't doing much in preseason at Leicester...

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 19 Jan 2017 15:05

Apologies if posted before but this piece seems to suggest he's caught the eye of some top clubs before. Hopefully we'll give him a chance to prove he's a good player.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 41989.html

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2017 16:17

John Madejski's Wallet Personally I think Tiago is a pointless signing.

:lol:

Everyone knows how cr@p we are if Moore or McShane are missing. For some reason Stam's answer to one of them being missing is the (non)flying Dutchman who is a complete accident waiting to happen, therefore this is not a pointless signing.

If you're trying to go places in football you continually look to improve your overall squad and Ilori should do that as he brings pace, confidence on the ball and a lot more mobility to the back line. If it means he sits on the bench from time to time then he'll sit on the bench from time to time.

Whether we like it or not I reckon he'll start on Saturday, alongside Moore in a back 4 as McShane is quite possibly still waiting for his wrist to improve enough after his operation.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 Jan 2017 16:43

In STam's defence his options at centre back have been limited.

Cooper has sadly failed to do anything than give Stam reasons not to play him
Blackett doesn't look reliable
Dickie, Hyam and the others have zero experience as yet

Joey is an experinced pro and a decent footballer, but far from the solution.

Hopefully the new trio plus one of the youngsters 'training on' should be a more solid base to build on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2017 17:35

I think it's fair for him to get a couple of weeks training and maybe a sub appearance under his belt before he walks into the side, but for anything other than the immediate future, yeah, it is madness to buy him and not pick him in the first XI. Unless he's bollocks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2017 17:59

I'm guessing he was probably training with us during the transfer 'saga'

To be honest I'm not sure there is any substitute for actually playing - as long as he has been training well I suspect he will go straight in

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2017 18:14

Hound I'm guessing he was probably training with us during the transfer 'saga'

To be honest I'm not sure there is any substitute for actually playing - as long as he has been training well I suspect he will go straight in

Good point, that'd be about a week under his belt already.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Jan 2017 20:42

Maneki Neko if ilori is a CB, and our formation is 433 then mcshane is clearly the weakest of our 2 CBs, so id drop mcshane

And yet we're rock solid with McShane and Moore........ and how do you know ilori will be better than McShane?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2017 20:54

John Madejski's Wallet
Maneki Neko if ilori is a CB, and our formation is 433 then mcshane is clearly the weakest of our 2 CBs, so id drop mcshane

And yet we're rock solid with McShane and Moore........ and how do you know ilori will be better than McShane?

He's younger and he seems much more comfortable in possession from the limited amount I've seen. Plus we've spent about £2m on him, which suggests we want to play him. Therefore we must either want to play him with McShane and Moore, or instead of one of them, and seeing as Moore's been great and one of Stam's other signings, the obvious one to miss out would be McShane, even though he's been very good. Although that might make Gunter captain. :cry:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Jan 2017 22:19

Ilori Ilori came washing over me..
Ilori Ilori came washing over me..

OK. Maybe not.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Jan 2017 22:27

As I said earlier in the thread, he doesn't need to 'replace' anyone, the signing creates further competition for the CB's on whatever formation suits us for a match. Moore & McShane had no competition, now they do. Ilori will give another option if we are up against a quick striker for instance Gayle/Hogan/Abraham. Whereas McShane would be the player to deal with the likes of Nugent/Murray/Graham.

Jaap Stam on signing Ilori

“In this league, with all the games we need to play, you never know what’s going to happen with injuries and suspensions – so it’s also important we have options and the chance to rotate.

Personally I'd like to see us set up with all 3 of Moore / Ilori / McShane. But for Derby I'd go with the Moore / McShane partnership which has done pretty well this far! It's a big game to throw him in ahead of a senior pro like McShane, which could backfire massively. Hopefully Ilori gets a chance to settle in to the system first.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Jan 2017 22:53

John Madejski's Wallet And yet we're rock solid with McShane and Moore........ and how do you know ilori will be better than McShane?

From from 100% rock solid. McShane has his weaknesses. Ilori maybe better suited to Stam's game plan. Having 2 ball playing centre backs adds a new dimension. More pace to.

354 posts