BFTG - Barnsley home

marlowuk

Re: BFTG - Barnsley home

by marlowuk » 12 Feb 2017 17:01

muirinho Just out of idle interest, was everybody at the same match?

You have to wonder sometimes. I saw no lack of passion from our players yesterday that some report (although I have seen a lack of passion in some previous matches!). I have not been that impressed with Blackett this season but he played very well yesterday and was solid in my view.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Feb 2017 17:45

bobby1413
CountryRoyal I broke up with the missus today so I'll be there. :D

How did you do it? (Leave no details out)

Asking for a m8

Boringly, phoned, but I did it at work. So technically I got paid to break up with someone.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 12 Feb 2017 17:54

marlowuk

You have to wonder sometimes. I saw no lack of passion from our players yesterday that some report (although I have seen a lack of passion in some previous matches!). I have not been that impressed with Blackett this season but he played very well yesterday and was solid in my view.

Well, I suppose we all have different views on what we see. As I saw it, Barnsley were so well organised that we couldn't find a way through. Nobody seemed willing or able to find a way through them. When they attacked, our defence looked as disorganised as they were at times earlier in the season. Gunter, who I rate, never seemed to be in the right position; Moore obviously missed having McShane alongside him, and if it wasn't for Blackett we may well have lost the game.

Meite came on and used his strength and speed to good effect. If he'd come on earlier, then I'm certain the game would have been different. As I said before, he seemed to be the only one who showed real passion.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 12 Feb 2017 18:01

Rather than counter the inane,dull and brainless "Yorkshire,Yorkshire Yorkshire" with "Berkshire,Berkshire, Berkshire can we do a more more slow,boring and brainless version of "Yorkshire,Yorkshire,Yorkshire" than the thickos that actually sing it. Deserves to have the piss taken out it.

Barnsley were not too bad .Were a bit like a Northern Fulham.Not too unhappy with the draw.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Feb 2017 18:08

Hampshire Royal
marlowuk

Well, I suppose we all have different views on what we see. As I saw it, Barnsley were so well organised that we couldn't find a way through. Nobody seemed willing or able to find a way through them. When they attacked, our defence looked as disorganised as they were at times earlier in the season. Gunter, who I rate, never seemed to be in the right position; Moore obviously missed having McShane alongside him, and if it wasn't for Blackett we may well have lost the game.

Meite came on and used his strength and speed to good effect. If he'd come on earlier, then I'm certain the game would have been different. As I said before, he seemed to be the only one who showed real passion.

I think the word "passion" is overused in sport but I agree with HR yesterday we showed very little passion or drive.
Danny Williams is a player who, at his best, drives the team on from midfield but yesterday he was not at his best.

On the issue of passing across the back I think Stam's idea is that our players should get used to retaining possession in this way for when we come up against the better teams even if so far this season it has led to some hairy moments.
Thinking ahead, it might prove useful in a play-off game when the tension is high although against the strongest opposition this season (Man Utd in the FA Cup)the players' heads went and ditched what they had been doing all season.

I don't think this team is anywhere near ready for the step up this season but you have to take that opportunity if it presents itself because it might not come around again quickly.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Feb 2017 18:52

Bobby - if you ever get round to getting rid of your missus, at least have the balls to do it in person

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Feb 2017 19:19

genome Bobby - if you ever get round to getting rid of your missus, at least have the balls to do it in person

Any conciliation if I say it was mutual? (I think)

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 12 Feb 2017 20:02

Hampshire Royal
marlowuk

Well, I suppose we all have different views on what we see. As I saw it, Barnsley were so well organised that we couldn't find a way through. Nobody seemed willing or able to find a way through them.

They were well organised but we did get several chances to score. We simply couldn't take them.

Hampshire Royal When they attacked, our defence looked as disorganised as they were at times earlier in the season. Gunter, who I rate, never seemed to be in the right position; Moore obviously missed having McShane alongside him...

I entirely agree with that. I said in my original post that we missed McShane's leadership to organise our defence!

Hampshire Royal Meite came on and used his strength and speed to good effect. If he'd come on earlier, then I'm certain the game would have been different.

Again, I said the same in my first post. I like Meite and was willing Stam to bring him on earlier. I think we did lack the passion of Danny Williams who had a very subdued game but, overall, I thought it was a pretty good performance.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Feb 2017 21:22

Victor Meldrew I don't think this team is anywhere near ready for the step up this season but you have to take that opportunity if it presents itself because it might not come around again quickly.

With a £100 million at stake a prize worth having. As would keep RFC solvent for a considerable number of years.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Feb 2017 22:39

Lower West
Victor Meldrew I don't think this team is anywhere near ready for the step up this season but you have to take that opportunity if it presents itself because it might not come around again quickly.

With a £100 million at stake a prize worth having. As would keep RFC solvent for a considerable number of years.

Only if it doesn't go on bonuses, new signings and increased wages. Last time we got promoted our wage bill more than doubled to over £40m a year. There may be more money available now, but keeping away from players pockets is always a nightmare. And even if we want to take the cash and run our fan base is hardly likely to be happy with no significant signings and a virtually guaranteed relegation.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 12 Feb 2017 23:47

CountryRoyal
genome Bobby - if you ever get round to getting rid of your missus, at least have the balls to do it in person

Any conciliation if I say it was mutual? (I think)

Conciliation?!

Freudian slip? maybe it's not all over?!

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 13 Feb 2017 08:48

With the likes of Huddersfield, Brighton and Newcastle coming up, and with quite possibly a minimal points return from those three games, this should have been a nailed on 3 points .. makes the Brentford game all the more important now ..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Feb 2017 10:10

Barnsley were a lot better than I was expecting to be fair, and were a very well organised and hard working side - notice this has been picked up by quite a few of the nationals as well

Fair play to the manager there - lost a lot of their better players but tactically I thought they were spot on. Didn't press but kept very narrow and disciplined. Didn't give Kelly any time on the ball in midfield. Didn't try to kick lumps out of us either, like say Cardiff tried to (and failed)

I don't think we played poorly like we did vs QPR where we probably made Holloway and his plans look good

I would say it was the best tactical performance by any manager I've seen at Mad Stad this year.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 13 Feb 2017 12:06

Westwood52 As a result I don't think we will make playoffs

You must be mad, there's no way we can throw away a gap THAT big. Yeah some tricky games coming up but IIRC our run in is easy as piss on paper; we must be there now having been here pretty much all season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Feb 2017 12:10

Kuhl_Runnings

You must be mad, there's no way we can throw away a gap THAT big. Yeah some tricky games coming up but IIRC our run in is easy as piss on paper; we must be there now having been here pretty much all season.

Nice one dickhead. Deffo not going to make them now.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Feb 2017 12:14

could easily lose all 3 vs hudd, bri, newc.

if that happens id imagine we would be flirting with 7th place.
also if it happens I think our confidence could take a bashing.

don't think it will happen, but its certainly not outside the realms of possibility

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 13 Feb 2017 12:23

CountryRoyal
Kuhl_Runnings

Oops.

IceIceGylfi

by IceIceGylfi » 13 Feb 2017 12:27

Kuhl_Runnings
CountryRoyal
Kuhl_Runnings

Oops.

If we slip now I blame you

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Feb 2017 12:41

Hound Barnsley were a lot better than I was expecting to be fair, and were a very well organised and hard working side - notice this has been picked up by quite a few of the nationals as well

Fair play to the manager there - lost a lot of their better players but tactically I thought they were spot on. Didn't press but kept very narrow and disciplined. Didn't give Kelly any time on the ball in midfield. Didn't try to kick lumps out of us either, like say Cardiff tried to (and failed)

I don't think we played poorly like we did vs QPR where we probably made Holloway and his plans look good

I would say it was the best tactical performance by any manager I've seen at Mad Stad this year.

Their tactics were obvious from the start and the two banks of four were plain to see.
But that didn't stop Gmac beating his man at will.
Nor Beerens for that matter
I would say they delivered 12 crosses or more in the first half alone.
Our problem is there is no one in there or no one in the right position
As someone else said Kermy is often too deep to get on the end of these

So was it good tactics or just a familiar failure to make the right decisions (to shoot or to pass; to attack the ball or not) at the critical time?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Feb 2017 13:47

bcubed
Hound Barnsley were a lot better than I was expecting to be fair, and were a very well organised and hard working side - notice this has been picked up by quite a few of the nationals as well

Their tactics were obvious from the start and the two banks of four were plain to see.
But that didn't stop Gmac beating his man at will.
Nor Beerens for that matter
I would say they delivered 12 crosses or more in the first half alone.
Our problem is there is no one in there or no one in the right position
As someone else said Kermy is often too deep to get on the end of these

Now that is how I saw the game. Once again we failed to get sufficient presence in and around the box to take advantage of the numerous crosses. That is an area where Swift adds to the team.