BFTG Newcastle (H)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Newcastle (H)

by CountryRoyal » 07 Mar 2017 23:51

Gunny Fishcake Mutch who did nothing the entire game and appears a complete waste of time , with Grabban not much better..

:shock:

Posted that almost verbatim, and I didn't even read any of the posts :shock:

I think it's a fairly accurate assesment.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Mar 2017 00:32

RG30 Seen some excellent matches this year (Brentford, Fulham, Huddersfield) and not so excellent (QPR) and that was definitely in the not so excellent. Whilst respecting the fact Newcastle are league leaders with the best away record in the division, it was all too slow and predictable on ball retention without a willingness to be brave and to have a goal.

The pitch doesn't help but hardly the match to entice the missing thousands back to the stadium.

We've been far more predictable & slower than that :lol:

I think it was a gutsy performance against the champions-elect; aside from Grabban & Kelly's roles - Stam got tonight absolutely spot on.
Tonight's performance is far more likely to entice fans to come back rather than an expected drubbing against a team which underwent a £40m overhaul last summer. One of the best nil-nils I've seen anyway.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 08 Mar 2017 01:21

Well that was a very entertaining 0 - 0 and probably a fair result in the end.

I thought we played well and agree with McShane as MOM. One of the differences today was that our forwards and attacking mid-fielders were moving and creating space for themselves which has not been the case in other matches recently. Why can't we play like that every game? We have some more difficult fixtures coming up against PNE, Sheffield Weds and Leeds but after that things become, on paper, easier.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Mar 2017 06:37

Enjoyed that.
Good, competitive game.
Ok both sides made too many errors but the fans for whom that was their first of the season will want to come again.
It was a shame Kelly had a poor game, he just needed to give himself a little time rather than rushing things. Joey was excellent and it was good to see Mutch filling the role that the likes of Leighterwood have in previous years (i.e. Doing the things other players appreciate but fans don't see.). The fact that Shelvey was anonymous suggests our midfield were doing something right !
Sad to see Benitez letting himself down with his extended attempts to get McShane booked at the end. For goodness sake Rafa the officials made a mistake, McShane made a brief protest and you then spend several minutes raging at the 4th official. What benefit would you have got if a Reading player had got a yellow card in the 85th minute ?
A good night to announce season ticket renewals, I shall be renewing and that performance, while far from perfect, should help shift tickets.

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 08 Mar 2017 07:36

Is Grabban allowed to jump for a header? Every time the ball came near him in the air he made more of an effort not to head it than head it! Ridiculous!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Mar 2017 07:42

against a cautious Royals side who defended in numbers.
The BBC report was clearly written by a Geordie who was late to the game! :twisted: That would be the 'cautious' Royals side who were straight out of the blocks and at Newcastle and who should have taken the lead in the first minute?!

'Defending in numbers'? I think that is more appropriately said of the visitors who were largely sit back and try to hit us on the counter. If Newcastle were so keen to take the game to us and really determined to pick up three points, there would have been no way that we would've been allowed 70% possession, they would have been in our faces more, looking to win the ball.

In the last quarter of the game, I'm pretty sure it was us doing most of the attacking in an attempt to get the three points.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Mar 2017 07:58

RG30 Seen some excellent matches this year (Brentford, Fulham, Huddersfield) and not so excellent (QPR) and that was definitely in the not so excellent. Whilst respecting the fact Newcastle are league leaders with the best away record in the division, it was all too slow and predictable on ball retention without a willingness to be brave and to have a goal.

The pitch doesn't help but hardly the match to entice the missing thousands back to the stadium.

I think you have posted this on the wrong thread and should be on the Wolves match!!!!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Mar 2017 08:00

Gunny Fishcake
3points
I watched Mutch quite closely tonight. I thought that was the best I've seen him play. He had good movement and showed for the ball a lot.

That is a wind up I presume ?

I have to agree with 3points. Lumping Mutch in with Grabban is completely unfair. Mutch was probably my MOTM although McShane, Joey and Ali all played well. I think the big difference from Saturday was that Mutch was showing for the ball, linking play, and getting involved in the ordinary stuff, whereas Swift was a passenger who had a couple of good touches but was prepared to let the match pass him by. Mutch didn't do anything flashy but he did a lot of simple things which he could have shirked, and played a big part in our performance.

The main criticism I'd make of his performance is that he was sometimes too cautious. There were a few occasions when he played five yard passes to Grabban or Kelly when he might have been better served by playing it forward to Gunter. I'm also not buying the criticism of his performance, he got forward well and put four or five balls into the box.

Grabban is the one I really don't see the point of, at least as a winger. Beerens should have been playing last night. We would have benefited from his creativity and flair and the width he'd have provided.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 08 Mar 2017 08:39

SCIAG
Gunny Fishcake
3points
I watched Mutch quite closely tonight. I thought that was the best I've seen him play. He had good movement and showed for the ball a lot.

Mutch was probably my MOTM.

Maybe it is me ? Words fail me

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Mar 2017 08:43

The Times reporting that Newcastle were "dominant". I must just have blue and white tinted glasses

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 08 Mar 2017 08:51

3points The Times reporting that Newcastle were "dominant". I must just have blue and white tinted glasses

Tbf their report only says that was the case in the first half and we were a different side in the second.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Mar 2017 08:53

3points The Times reporting that Newcastle were "dominant". I must just have blue and white tinted glasses

Like mine. What I was impressed about is that it wasn't a backs-to-the-wall performance, we were giving as good as we were getting. No denying they have some very good players, but I was expecting a lot more from them.

Kelly was pretty poor - trying too hard? Grabban - very disappointed. And what is with his complete inability to head the ball? Everybody else was good or excellent.

IMO, Mutch is the kind of player that you'd be worse off if he didn't play, without necessarily being able to say exactly what he does do. I think - stops the opposition playing is probably the best way of describing it. Useful addition I thought.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 Mar 2017 09:04

Mutch looked like he was chasing shadows to me. He made himself available for a few passes and moved the ball on a couple of times but other than that the game just seems to pass him by.

Van den Berg on the other hand controlled it from our perspective and had a major influence. He broke up Newcastle moves, defended well, helped us retain possession when playing out from the back and shifted the ball around the park very well. He was influential last night and should keep his place for the next game.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Mar 2017 09:06

RoyalBlue
against a cautious Royals side who defended in numbers.
The BBC report was clearly written by a Geordie who was late to the game! :twisted: That would be the 'cautious' Royals side who were straight out of the blocks and at Newcastle and who should have taken the lead in the first minute?!

'Defending in numbers'? I think that is more appropriately said of the visitors who were largely sit back and try to hit us on the counter. If Newcastle were so keen to take the game to us and really determined to pick up three points, there would have been no way that we would've been allowed 70% possession, they would have been in our faces more, looking to win the ball.

In the last quarter of the game, I'm pretty sure it was us doing most of the attacking in an attempt to get the three points.

:|

If anything Newcastle were the ones defending in numbers!

wiggso

by wiggso » 08 Mar 2017 09:10

Thought Joey, McShane, McCleary and Obita were good. Blackett came back after a few dodgy moments at the beginning.

All in all it was a good, disciplined performance.

Mutch and Grabben were poor. I'm probably jumping the gun here but I'm worried we will have a similar issue to last season for the rest of this one where disinterested loanees take the place of others who would do a better job.
How Grabban played 90 minutes is beyond me. All he did was give it away and jump into defenders. Also, for a big guy, Mutch is so weak in a challenge.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Mar 2017 09:19

Gunny Fishcake
SCIAG
Gunny Fishcake

Mutch was probably my MOTM.

Maybe it is me ? Words fail me

I'm with you. Terrible touch. Negative. And for such a unit doesn't win any physical battles.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 08 Mar 2017 09:27

People I spoke to this morning said Reading played well and it was entertaining for a 0-0. Tony Cottee said it was dire on SS last night though......

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2017 09:33

IMO we were awful in the first 45 and could've easily been 3-0 down. That people are saying it was a good performance just sums up how dull and poor we've been at times this season.

Second half was a massive improvement with Williams adding the dynamism and intent that we lacked in the first half and Newcastle clearly settled for a point around the 60/70 minute mark.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Mar 2017 09:38

It was an entertaining g 0-0 as both teams wanted to play football and allowed each other to do so to a degree - which is part of the reason Reading looked better and gave a more assured performance. Reading will NOT get that luxury at Preston or Sheff Wed.

Also the foul count was right down and the game flowed easily and freely, if Reading had had better striking options they might have won it and certainly posed more of a threat but in the end didn't do too badly and were unlucky.

But then Habsi pulled off a couple of great saves to keep them out as well so 0-0 was probably fair.

Do not get why on earth we signed Grabban if the intent was always to play him in midfield or on the wing as that is not his game and despite some neat skill and seeing that he works hard he wasn't offering what was really needed on the right - also could do with a spot of heading practice but then I repeat that that really isn't his game - and probably shows why he's not at Bournemouth still.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 08 Mar 2017 09:45

Brilliant game, great atmosphere and both teams set up well, a point and a clean sheet seems fair for us and the toon. Defence was class, McShane a rock and VDB MOTM, not a foot wrong. Moore better not be out for long. Grabban was shocking and Gunter looked nervy. But made my morning when my Geordie mate who yesterday said we'd get torn apart came up to me, patted me on the back and said "your lads played really well, like". Really positive now, bring on PNE!