Come back Charles Watts

The Reverend

Come back Charles Watts

by The Reverend » 27 Apr 2017 11:17

We need a credible sports reporter at getreading

Just look at this shit - three "if my aunt were my uncle" stories in as many days

I would rather read nothing about my team than this drivel

Where Reading FC would be without top scorer Yann Kermorgant

Why Newcastle United tax raid could benefit Reading FC's promotion hopes

The best and worst case for Reading FC in the play-off push

You're a joke Low

*Apologies if not the right forum for this but I'm bloody seething

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Come back Charles Watts

by genome » 27 Apr 2017 11:23

They need to focus on quality, rather than churning out a useless article every day. Hiring the lads from the Tilehurst End to do articles would be a nice idea.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Apr 2017 11:25

The Reverend We need a credible sports reporter at getreading

Just look at this shit - three "if my aunt were my uncle" stories in as many days

I would rather read nothing about my team than this drivel

Where Reading FC would be without top scorer Yann Kermorgant

Why Newcastle United tax raid could benefit Reading FC's promotion hopes

The best and worst case for Reading FC in the play-off push

I actually found the top one of those a bit interesting - it highlighted how the better teams spread their goal-scorers across the team, and put a number on what we've all been saying - Leeds are dangerously dependent on Chris Wood.

I didn't bother reading the other two - I could tell from the titles they weren't going to be worth the time.

We were very lucky with Charlie Watts, and he's clearly gone on to bigger things. But we're paying nothing for getreading, and we are getting info about player injuries and the like - not everything is a space-filler.

I'm bloody seething

Seething about a so-so service you're getting for free is a bit OTT, no?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Apr 2017 13:37

Yeah GR is very poor nowadays. To be honest Low doesn't come across as someone who cares or knows a lot about the game, whereas Watts is obviously a sports obsessive. That goal scorer article was reasonably interesting but that's a real exception at the moment

I'd be vaguely interested to know what GR are planning going forward. Seems Low himself has no idea if he is going to be doing that job full time. It's probably better if some young kid who is full of enthusiasm gets the role rather than just churning out lowest common denominator stuff like it is currently

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Apr 2017 13:49

genome They need to focus on quality, rather than churning out a useless article every day. Hiring the lads from the Tilehurst End to do articles would be a nice idea.

I've heard a lot of negativity about TTE recently - not my own view but just stuff I've "overheard" on twatter

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Apr 2017 14:12

GR has become unreadable on an i-pad...jumping around, freezing and re-opening all the time.......takes about six or seven attempts to read through any topic. Pretty much given up on it ........ which is possibly just as well.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Apr 2017 14:16

bobby1413
genome They need to focus on quality, rather than churning out a useless article every day. Hiring the lads from the Tilehurst End to do articles would be a nice idea.

I've heard a lot of negativity about TTE recently - not my own view but just stuff I've "overheard" on twatter

But at least some of their stuff is genuinely insightful.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2017 14:21

AthleticoSpizz GR has become unreadable on an i-pad...jumping around, freezing and re-opening all the time.......takes about six or seven attempts to read through any topic. Pretty much given up on it ........ which is possibly just as well.

Particularly hate the fact that every page triggers a video starting and the page takes an age to render before you can do anything about stopping it. And now ~ I've noticed the video has started also appearing in a pop up over the page largely obliterating the text of the item you want to read. And all that's before you get to scan the page to find that bit of interesting text you want that's been hidden amongst zillions of random photos, links and pointless "headlines".

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 27 Apr 2017 14:27

Agreed. But then again, it's free, so you should be grateful

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Apr 2017 14:50

Sutekh
AthleticoSpizz GR has become unreadable on an i-pad...jumping around, freezing and re-opening all the time.......takes about six or seven attempts to read through any topic. Pretty much given up on it ........ which is possibly just as well.

Particularly hate the fact that every page triggers a video starting and the page takes an age to render before you can do anything about stopping it. And now ~ I've noticed the video has started also appearing in a pop up over the page largely obliterating the text of the item you want to read. And all that's before you get to scan the page to find that bit of interesting text you want that's been hidden amongst zillions of random photos, links and pointless "headlines".

An adblocker can help quite a lot.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Apr 2017 15:13

Sutekh

It is an abysmal excuse for a web page. The company who owns getReading that deals with other areas news websites are all the same.

An adblocker would help but usually I'm in work so unable to install any extensions

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2017 17:42

The Reverend Agreed. But then again, it's free, so you should be grateful

Not grateful, just understand that you get the value you pay for.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 27 Apr 2017 19:49

Low is probably one of the worst reporters we have had. And I found Southbankers report on why Stam should take booing and keep quiet as additional drivel.

Watts was by far one of the best and we were spoilt. He let fans have their say, interacted and made reports people were genuinely interested in.

Whilst I don't want Low to lose his job, I'm sure he would be better suited to helping Hugh Fort etc on the main news and leave the football and sport to someone who gives a toss.

Do what other papers do... advertise in the program to Reading Fans the position

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 27 Apr 2017 20:02

Low is a Pompey fan, which makes him even more of a oxf*rd.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 27 Apr 2017 20:14

I believe it is Bournemouth, not Portsmouth

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Apr 2017 20:30

It doesn't really matter who he supports. Watts was openly an Arsenal fan yet put the effort into understanding what a Reading fan would want to know about the club

The days of the genuinely interesting extensive interviews with Tevreden or thoughtful opinion pieces are long gone

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Apr 2017 23:22

Reading4eva I believe it is Bournemouth, not Portsmouth

He's definitely a Portsmouth fan.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Apr 2017 09:19

I feel for Jonathan a bit, but he doesn't help himself sometimes...

@getreading "I don't sit here and talk ****. I believe we will get in the play-offs" Jansson on #nufc chances

Can't even get teams right :?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Apr 2017 10:31

genome I feel for Jonathan a bit, but he doesn't help himself sometimes...

@getreading "I don't sit here and talk ****. I believe we will get in the play-offs" Jansson on #nufc chances

Can't even get teams right :?

At least the Jansson comments distracted me from the quality of GR lately, it's pretty cringey. Looking at the fixtures, I reckon Leeds will be out of the play-off race before the final day, if anything, I would say their best hope is in Sheffield Wednesday.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Apr 2017 10:49

I'm still in disbelief that he fell for Yermas Dildo