MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town v Reading, Play Off Final, 29 May 2017 (Wembley)

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town v Reading, Play Off Final, 29 May 2017 (Wembley)

by Royal Ginger » 29 May 2017 20:06

Hound They were maybe very slightly better. Very little in it, and neither keeper barely made a save. Neither team really 'deserved' to win

Agreed, it was a horrible match of extremely limited quality.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town v Reading, Play Off Final, 29 May 2017 (Wembley)

by Cureton's Volley » 29 May 2017 20:07

Well done Hudds. #teamtinpot

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 29 May 2017 20:16

Cureton's Volley You're all f<cking wet blankets :lol: :oops:

Both teams did ok... but our fans were truely garbage.

No backing without the drum.

Daytrippers everywhere.

HF deserved it.

This. Strange ticketing in the lower tier seemed to put 1 block of families all sitting down in between the two blocks where everyone wanted to stand and make noise. Made it disjointed.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 May 2017 20:31

OK....Let's come out with some positives....as we know this loss may mean JS leaves, as do some of our best players .....right...that's over with.....oh and we may have a bit more debt....we can worry about that later.
Right....positives
1) season tickets stay cheap because we arnt going up.
2) 95% of Saturday games will be Saturday.
3) By not going up empty seats won't be filled with johnny come lately, secret United/Chelsea/Arsenal fans.
4) Tuesday night football.
5) .....OK I'm struggling now....I thought this morning if we had lost it wouldn't hurt as we never expected to get here, and after beating Fulham I'd settle for beating those big mouth tossers....how wrong I was, this hurts. :cry:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 May 2017 20:32

Joey had a mare, and their players and Wagner knew it. Offensively and defensively, predictable early yellow. Maybe ok for a game at Burton in Dec but not in a game like this. We basically wasted the first 60 mins. Then we had to waste a sub to get him off. Obita, who ended up playing 60 mins anyway, should have been on from the start.
Jan for me was disappointing too. Thought he'd win us more free kicks.
Williams was immense. With little support, he was everywhere, sideline to sideline and box to box. You think of the shift he put in today and a few others should be ashamed.
Neither were great but thought we did lose some offense when Grabban and Swift went off...at a time when we should have been really going for it. Don't think Wagner could believe it. He'd have bit your arm off for pens at the start. Reckon we caught HT on an off day, but still couldn't cash in. Shame we didn't get Roy or Mendes on somehow.
Stam did wonders to get us here for sure, but his performance on the day can still be assessed. He didn't make the adjustments needed today and I could see us playing til next week, the same way, with the same result. And no way he should have Moore take that pen. Moore had done his job, and did it well in a shut out against some tricky players. You don't then set him up for failure like that. It was a poor pen, you have to put it on frame, but he shouldn't have been in that position.
And McCleary, and whoever else, should not be allowed to opt out (if that's what happened). The manager decides who plays, when you play, where you play, etc. He should say 'You are taking the next one, end of.'
Last edited by Denver Royal on 29 May 2017 22:08, edited 4 times in total.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 29 May 2017 20:52

Finding everything quite a harsh reaction to what was a boring and even game from two teams desperate to go up without the bravery and cutting edge to do it in 90 or 120 mins.

Both teams finishing was poor, and even though huddersfield looked a bit more threatening - their end product was diabolical - as were ours but let's not kid ourselves that we were terrible and huddersfield were far better. Look at the stats - even game and we lost on penalties. Huge HUGE shame, but come on - this season has been incredible, and I don't think any other team would play differently against any other opponent this season. It was just a cagey, terrible game of football with two teams who've done incredibly well and played incredibly poorly today.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 21:45

The humidity would have effected the players as well.

It was an immense effort. We just didn't have enough in the end.

We were very unlucky and Huddersfield were very lucky. That's football.

Great credit to Jaap Stam for how far he has taken this group of players. Other managers struggled. Stam has been outstanding. We just didn't have enough. Hopefully our Chinese billionaires will buy us the quality that we need to be more dangerous offensively in games.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 21:54

Top Flight We were very unlucky and Huddersfield were very lucky.

Sorry, but that just isn't true.

We weren't unlucky - we were awful. They say you make your own luck, well we didn't make anything.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 21:58

Avon Royal

We weren't unlucky - we were awful. They say you make your own luck, well we didn't make anything.

Neither keeper had a save to make during the 120 mins and penalties are a complete lottery. Huddersfield also got the luck of having them down their end of the ground. We didn't have enough about ourselves to threaten Huddersfield but because of that Stam used tactics that took the game to the wire. During the past few seasons we didn't achieve very much with the same group of players. Great credit to Stam. He has been amazing for us.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 22:00

Avon Royal

Today was hardly any different to the Fulham games. The only difference was against Fulham Joey played one ball over the top and Kalas hand balled it. That was the only difference. In That game we were amazing. This one useless. Let's not over react to things. It's just football. We've had a great season and we very nearly did it today.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 22:04

We were negative, unimaginative and tepid today. It would have been a travesty if Huddersfield hadn't won, they were much the better team.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 May 2017 22:41

Ascotexgunner OK....Let's come out with some positives....as we know this loss may mean JS leaves, as do some of our best players .....right...that's over with.....oh and we may have a bit more debt....we can worry about that later.
Right....positives
1) season tickets stay cheap because we arnt going up.
2) 95% of Saturday games will be Saturday.
3) By not going up empty seats won't be filled with johnny come lately, secret United/Chelsea/Arsenal fans.
4) Tuesday night football.
5) .....OK I'm struggling now....I thought this morning if we had lost it wouldn't hurt as we never expected to get here, and after beating Fulham I'd settle for beating those big mouth tossers....how wrong I was, this hurts. :cry:

I don't like Tuesday night games

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2017 23:41

Top Flight
Avon Royal

Today was hardly any different to the Fulham games. The only difference was against Fulham Joey played one ball over the top and Kalas hand balled it. That was the only difference. In That game we were amazing. This one useless. Let's not over react to things. It's just football. We've had a great season and we very nearly did it today.

The difference between today and the Fulham games is we attacked and took the game to Fulham at the start of each half, and we scored goals. I'm afraid you can't successfully defend a 0-0 in a knockout game. Huddersfield should have had that done and dusted inside normal time. They had two absolutely criminal misses from what should have been certain goals. Their attack was incredibly wasteful, but at least they had one. We had maybe *maybe* one decent chance, I can think of four off the top of my head for them.

And our penalties weren't unlucky. Two of them were outright poor and Kelly's, whilst smashing, was risky. Huddersfield took four quality penalties.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 23:45

Top Flight The humidity would have effected the players as well.

rofl