How Nervous Are We All?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How Nervous Are We All?

by From Despair To Where? » 28 May 2017 21:42

Ian Royal
Scutterbucketz I'm in two minds. Out of the 3 playoff finals we've been involved in, this seems the one we have the best shout in. And the fact that it's 22 years to the day since the Bolton game is making it a touch more important in my own head. 14 year old me, who was gutted for months after that final, wants this win more than anything.

So, I don't think I've allowed myself to think of a loss. That's nothing to do with the quality of our opponents, but more because we have to fukking win a Playoff final one day.

Who has the worst play off record, in terms of overall and finals? Is it us already?

I think Preston have lost three out of four finals, so unless anyone has bettered that, we're currently joint worst in the final? With 5 failures overall.

Sheffield United - 3 semi final defeats, 4 final defeats.

Along with us, the only club to have lost a final at the Old Wembley, Millenium Stadium and New Wembley.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 28 May 2017 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 May 2017 21:43

So it is certainly possible that things can get worse for us then.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 May 2017 22:21

Agreed with the total and utter devastation of the Bolton playoff.

I genuinely thought we'd blown our only chance of top flight football.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 May 2017 22:30

I was more nervous for the semi finals. Getting the occasional twitch about it but nothing on the level of the Fulham away match.

Not because I think we'll win the final easily, far from it. I am just, for some reason, a bit more chilled about the outcome.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 May 2017 22:54

I'm excited about the day, but not nervous about the result - just proud they made it this far.

As long as we get a goal and put in a good performance I'll be happy. Win & I'll be ecstatic of course.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 28 May 2017 23:11

I would of snapped your hand off for a mid table Finnish this season, but now we're there we have to win! Nervous, haven't slept for 3 day's 9.35 train tomorrow from Sandhurst be in the Allsop Arms by 11.00. Jaap Stam had a dream.........

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 May 2017 23:17

Royal With Cheese Agreed with the total and utter devastation of the Bolton playoff.

I genuinely thought we'd blown our only chance of top flight football.

This totally

Not nervous about this one at all
Expectations are very low and if we win great

But will I be as calm standing (?) at Wembkey tomorrow
We'll see

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 May 2017 23:23

AthleticoSpizz I genuinely have never been any less bothered by a play-off.

My only expectancy is a decent performance.

+10000

I'm getting really excited now, although I think that's probably more because its been ages since last football :lol:
Still not nervous at all in the slightest. Really don't mind the result side of it.

Tomorrow is a win win for me.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 00:26

I'm calmer than I've ever been for a major RFC game.

The Bolton game was devestating for the "only chance of the top flight" feeling that others have mentioned. Walsall was gutting because it meant another year in that shit league. Swansea I always suspected we'd lose, and it was the actions of day tripping fans that really disappointed me that year.

Having experienced the Prem now, I can honestly take it or leave it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 May 2017 00:40

Avon Royal I'm calmer than I've ever been for a major RFC game.

The Bolton game was devestating for the "only chance of the top flight" feeling that others have mentioned. Walsall was gutting because it meant another year in that shit league. Swansea I always suspected we'd lose, and it was the actions of day tripping fans that really disappointed me that year.

Christ, what did they do?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 01:07

leon

There were a group of Reading fans getting rather "excited", and using some industrial language to describe the officials. Bunch of day trippers (they spent the first half hour complaining about the performance of "town") complained and had said Reading fans removed. When a group of us tried to tell the stewards we were simply asked if we wanted to leave too, and told to "shut the oxf*rd up" if we didn't.

When it had all settled down, the lead day tripper was overheard making comments to the effect that he had told the stewards that racist language was being used, when it clearly wasn't. Other day trippers laughed heartily.

Arseholes.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 May 2017 01:12

Avon Royal
leon

There were a group of Reading fans getting rather "excited", and using some industrial language to describe the officials. Bunch of day trippers (they spent the first half hour complaining about the performance of "town") complained and had said Reading fans removed. When a group of us tried to tell the stewards we were simply asked if we wanted to leave too, and told to "shut the oxf*rd up" if we didn't.

When it had all settled down, the lead day tripper was overheard making comments to the effect that he had told the stewards that racist language was being used, when it clearly wasn't. Other day trippers laughed heartily.

Arseholes.

I see. Cnuts.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 01:23

I also remember being at the Green Man beforehand, where there were a bunch of lads who had created a banner for Chris Armstrong to support him in his battle with MS. I remember seeing him get the banner after the game and looking seriously chuffed to bits with it.

It put the whole football/result thing in perspective, and was another reason for not being so disappointed when we lost.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 May 2017 02:11

I'm not nervous at all as I have already accepted we will loose .

Vs Bolton when Archie was about to take the penalty I turned to my friend and said "we will miss this and loose".

Vs Walsall when we went 2-1 up I didn't even celebrate as I knew the momentum was with walsall and we were going ron loose

Vs Swansea we were played off the pitch from the first minute depsite a brief rally in the second half .

I hope to be pleasantly surprised , but honestly think we are cursed in the PlayOffs and it's better to accept our inevitable fate now as opposed to building ones hopes up and then being depressed for weeks afterwards.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 May 2017 03:22

Absolutely bricking it more than any of the previous three finals, and I cannot fathom out why! Just desperate to break the jinx.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 29 May 2017 05:31

No nerves at all.

Maybe it's because I've just grown older and have become resigned to the fact that life happens anyway.

Looking forward to enjoying the day in its entirety - seeing old faces and friends, and soaking up the excitement and general good-naturedness of a great football day out.

Group I'm going with are all Elm Park 'Old Hands'.

Calmness and laughter, whatever happens.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 May 2017 07:28

Ian Royal
Scutterbucketz I'm in two minds. Out of the 3 playoff finals we've been involved in, this seems the one we have the best shout in. And the fact that it's 22 years to the day since the Bolton game is making it a touch more important in my own head. 14 year old me, who was gutted for months after that final, wants this win more than anything.

So, I don't think I've allowed myself to think of a loss. That's nothing to do with the quality of our opponents, but more because we have to fukking win a Playoff final one day.

Who has the worst play off record, in terms of overall and finals? Is it us already?

I think Preston have lost three out of four finals, so unless anyone has bettered that, we're currently joint worst in the final? With 5 failures overall.

Brentford and Sheffield U are both pretty horrendous, each with no wins out of 8 campaigns while Reading can sadly equal the record (held by Sheff U) of 4 play off final defeats today.

At the other end of things Crystal Palace have won the Division 2 play off final 4 times while Huddersfield have won 3 of 4 previous finals (having always won games played at Wembley/Millennium) and Blackpool's record is something like 5 wins out of 7 finals :shock:

Preston had the longest wait before winning one, 9 failures and then finally won the 2015 Div 3 play off.

Reading, Brentford, Leeds United, Bristol City and Sheffield United have all lost finals at played at old Wembley, new Wembley and the Millennium.

Personally think they should scrap the whole thing and play a league type season where everybody in the division plays everybody else home and away and then the promoted/relegated teams are those that finish the season with the most/least points

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 29 May 2017 08:08

"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right! "

Rise up this mornin',
Smile with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
("This is my message to you-ou-ou: ")

"Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
"Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,
Last edited by exileinleeds on 29 May 2017 08:10, edited 1 time in total.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 May 2017 08:09

exileinleeds "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing,

Rise up this mornin',
Smile with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', ("This is my message to you-ou-ou: ")

Singin': "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
Singin': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,

That's amazing, a real tune there EIL

Do you perform or just write music?

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 29 May 2017 08:35

Just sharin' the love Bobster, sharin the love :D

Might* have imbibed of a little of the Marley 'spirit' this morning....the sun is shining, I have two hours to kill before I set off on my ten minute epic journey, to my favourite place, the tunes will be playin, and I'll be a chillin....

until 4pm when I unleash my tee shirt.