BFTG - Hull

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Hull

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Sep 2017 19:27

Has anyone noticed how fat Beerens is looking this season?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:21

With all the negativity about the place I would just like to take this time to commend someone I've been very critical of, even dismissive at times.

Well done Jon Dadi on a well taken goal that has ultimately earned us a point.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2017 20:30

CountryRoyal With all the negativity about the place I would just like to take this time to commend someone I've been very critical of, even dismissive at times.

Yeah, he really worked their defence. Won the high balls, held it up, got some flick ons. And crucially, finished well.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:32

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal With all the negativity about the place I would just like to take this time to commend someone I've been very critical of, even dismissive at times.

Yeah, he really worked their defence. Won the high balls, held it up, got some flick ons. And crucially, finished well.

Was a cracking finish too, very precise. Might go down as a "fluke" but certainly not a finish representative of his goal scoring record.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Sep 2017 20:36

CountryRoyal Well done Jon Dadi on a well taken goal that has ultimately earned us a point.

Fresh legs with just 14 minutes to go makes a difference.

Been impressed with his work rate in the games I've seen him this season. Shame seems to be injured on a regular basis.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2017 20:37

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Was a cracking finish too, very precise. Might go down as a "fluke" but certainly not a finish representative of his goal scoring record.

I don't really understand the criticism of him. It's all prejudged based on his record at Wolves last season and not landing the signing people wanted. Absolutely he had a terrible finishing day against Brizzle. But really it was only two (terrible) efforts. It's not like he's gone 5 - 10 games without scoring. He's got 2 in 5 appearances. His longest dry spell with us is 2 league, 3 league and cup. It's not a bad a record. He's actually played well, even against Bristol.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:44

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

I don't really understand the criticism of him. It's all prejudged based on his record at Wolves last season and not landing the signing people wanted. Absolutely he had a terrible finishing day against Brizzle. But really it was only two (terrible) efforts. It's not like he's gone 5 - 10 games without scoring. He's got 2 in 5 appearances. His longest dry spell with us is 2 league, 3 league and cup. It's not a bad a record. He's actually played well, even against Bristol.

I like a lot of his all round play but his finishing is atrocious, which is what makes the fact hes scored 2 for us already all the more impressive. I can't remember the last Reading striker have such a bad technique when it comes to striking the ball. It's representative of that big kid at school who isn't very good but wants to play striker.

I like Bod and his style, energy and all round play. But he doesn't exactly instill much confidence in front of goal. Does his past precede him? Potentially, if not probably. That doesn't change the fact he has had a multitude of guilt edged opportunities this season where there are plenty of strikers who would have finished. I'm not writing him off, and I hope that this season he manages to completely evolve into a goal scoring machine, but just because he's scored 2 goals doesn't mean I'm going to put my mortgage (if i had one) on it. I said several weeks ago after the QPR game that he won't score more than 15 goals for us this season and I stand by that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2017 20:47

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

I like a lot of his all round play but his finishing is atrocious, which is what makes the fact hes scored 2 for us already all the more impressive. I can't remember the last Reading striker have such a bad technique when it comes to striking the ball. It's representative of that big kid at school who isn't very good but wants to play striker.

I like Bod and his style, energy and all round play. But he doesn't exactly instill much confidence in front of goal. Does his past precede him? Potentially, if not probably. That doesn't change the fact he has had a multitude of guilt edged opportunities this season where there are plenty of strikers who would have finished. I'm not writing him off, and I hope that this season he manages to completely evolve into a goal scoring machine, but just because he's scored 2 goals doesn't mean I'm going to put my mortgage (if i had one) on it. I said several weeks ago after the QPR game that he won't score more than 15 goals for us this season and I stand by that.

Don't think he's missed that many, I've seen most his league appearances. Most strikers miss chances. I maintain it's only really Bristol (both of which were awful), but then he wasn't alone in that, at least one other in the team missed just as a good a sitter.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:49

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Don't think he's missed that many, I've seen most his league appearances. Most strikers miss chances. I maintain it's only really Bristol (both of which were awful), but then he wasn't alone in that, at least one other in the team missed just as a good a sitter.

It's not necessarily about the fact he missed a chance, but its about how badly they missed. If you were to consistently strike the ball well be a couple of feet of target that bodes relatively well. Bod has already air kicked what should have been an almost certain goal at least 2/3 times iirc. There were plenty of other occasions where he didn't work the keeper even remotely enough.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2017 20:52

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

It's not necessarily about the fact he missed a chance, but its about how badly they missed. If you were to consistently strike the ball well be a couple of feet of target that bodes relatively well. Bod has already air kicked what should have been an almost certain goal at least 2/3 times iirc. There were plenty of other occasions where he didn't work the keeper even remotely enough.

Fair enough. I think we'll agree to slightly differ. I'm not expecting him to score bucket loads. I do think that if he plays regularly and we can play even remotely ok he'll score in the region of 9 - 12 this season. Which, lets face it, bar Kermie last season.. is pretty par for the course for us these days.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:54

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Fair enough. I think we'll agree to slightly differ. I'm not expecting him to score bucket loads. I do think that if he plays regularly and we can play even remotely ok he'll score in the region of 9 - 12 this season. Which, lets face it, bar Kermie last season.. is pretty par for the course for us these days.

Again, depressingly, you are absolutely correct. We haven't been blessed in recent years :lol:

I will alter my wager though. £100 says Bod won't score 12 league goals for us this season.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 23 Sep 2017 20:59

Best player today was number 13. Until the crowd started getting on the players back's late in the game they showed no urgency and no interest in getting forward. After Gunther and one or two other remonstrated with the crowd about being booed - suddenly we got the ball forward more quickly, leading to the goal.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 23 Sep 2017 21:08

We've been like this since before the play-offs. Too defensive and not entertaining. If there was a good team in the Championship this year, you would set up like this to nick a point from them away from home.

Mannone: 5 Better at distribution than AAH. Good save from the deflected free kick.

Gunter: 4 Error for the goal and the right-hand side was just shit tbh
Moore: 5 Lost concentration for the goal and missed an easy header
McShane: 5 Lost concentration for the goal and looks half as good as 12 months ago
VDB: 3 Poor in defence but worse in midfield
Blackett: 4 I thought he was an improving player until today

Edwards: 4 Makes Mutch seem like a live-wire
Kelly: 4 Positively Matejoskyesque at times in his ability to give the ball away, but taken off as he was coming good

Beerens: 2 I don't know what to say, but I hope somebody will make sure he gets home safely tonight
McCleary: 1 Possibly the worst 45 minutes seen from a centre forward since we tried Seol there and went route 1
Aluko: 5 Can't he play down the middle? If you pay all that money, it is wasted if his role is to support the wing backs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 21:17

Weather was lovely though wasn't it? :)

Crotts

by Crotts » 23 Sep 2017 21:32

I'm amazed that into his second season as manager that Stam persists with Gunter, Van Den Berg and Blackett. Their considerable weaknesses must be obvious to him by now.
Gunter: Very fit but that's it, One paced, can't go past anyone with the ball, Can't tackle, Can't cross, physically weak, doesn't stop crosses coming in, continually passes backwards.
Van Den Berg: A tough tackler but is often late to the ball as he has the pace of a snail and is always one tackle away from a red. A player like him cannot play as the defensive shelter in front of the centre backs because in the modern game that role has to be filled by a player who is quick, nimble and a good passer. Think of Kante at Chelsea as the perfect model.
Blackett: Has lots of what you need in a footballer: Skill, pace and inventiveness, he just lacks one thing any top sportsman needs - Concentration. He is the summed up in one word Sloppy.
From the current squad our best bet is to play Watson or McCleary at right back/right wing back. Play Bacuna as defensive midfielder. Play Obita at left back.
Elsewhere in the team, Barrow needs to play at left wing instead of Beerens, Aluko has to play right midfield and Bodvarsson has to play right wing which has always been his most effective position.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Hull

by Muskrat » 23 Sep 2017 21:52

He's lost the crowd, lost the plot and looks increasingly like he's lost the dressing room. This can only end one way...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Sep 2017 22:25

Until the next win(s) :roll:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Sep 2017 22:28

windermereROYAL .

Finally we can`t go forward with EVERY SINGLE pass, it`s not physically possible.

Even Stam said in his post match interview that some of the decision making was poor.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Sep 2017 22:32

Schmeichel the dog Yes, we were utter gash for the vast majority of the game but how depressing must it be for the players to play in such a soul-less morgue of an arena, devoid of any atmosphere.

Reading fans are a reactionary bunch and always have been. If the football is exciting then the crowd get up and the atmosphere is good. We have never been a club where the fans kick the team into gear.

Unfortunately the football on offer at the moment is very uninspiring, so the atmosphere is awful in turn.

It's a poor excuse from Stam in my opinion. The players need to do it, not us. Unless the club fancy paying us a thousands of pounds a week.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Sep 2017 23:00

genome If the football is exciting then the crowd get up and the atmosphere is good.

As the home team. Shouldn't the players come out as on fire in the first 5-10 minutes. To ignite the crowd. Four minutes of walking pace possession in your own half isn't going to generate positive passion.