BFTG - Hull

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: BFTG - Hull

by LWJ » 25 Sep 2017 12:25

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal If anyone is unconvinced by Berg being at Centreback for large swathes of the game, have a look at his heat map on whoscored and compare it to McShane for example.

Or.. they could have used their eyes while watching the game.. I didn't know who scored did heat maps. That's really quite useful.

Well that doesn't seem to have worked for everyone. It's certainly how I worked it out though.

Tool.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Sep 2017 12:29

bcubed
Wycombe Royal I'm going to stick up for Gunter a bit. There were numerous times when he got the ball and looked to go forward and make a forward pass only to realise that the 3 "floating" attacking players were all in central and left positions meaning he either had to take the ball forward himself and take on the two Hull players in front of him or turn round and pass sideways or back. Long gone are the days of Gunter and McCleary working as team down the wing.....

Exactly this

But some people wouldn't give Gunter credit if he scored a hat trick

The Gunter McLeary partnership is proven. its a shame we don't see it any more.

What I don't get is when we are looking to start a move from the back and a full back receives the ball with space in front of him why don't those three attackers make their runs - one left, one right and one in a central position. The defence then have three runs to cover and it stretches them out. Then the full back has more options - an overlapping run on his own wing, a diagonal crossfield ball or a ball in to the central position. At the moment, and especially on the right his option is to take it on himself, hit a percentage ball up pitch or pass square/back.

We are just so one dimensional and no one seems to make runs into the channels or make a run off a defender (Jon Dadi did and we scored).

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Sep 2017 12:35

Each time I look around the field when we have the ball I am hoping to see runs of any sort in any direction. They just don't happen

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Sep 2017 12:43

bcubed Each time I look around the field when we have the ball I am hoping to see runs of any sort in any direction. They just don't happen

It's plagued us on and off since Stam took over. I remember really getting pissed off about it at Newcastle away last season but cited that it's a new system with a new manager and players maybe aren't used to it.

There's little excuse now, especially because it's not even like movement off the ball is a foreign concept. It's an integral part of the oxf*rd game, unless of course your game plan is to stand still and hope the defenders just decide not to mark you for shits and gigs.

Either the players can't be arsed, don't know what to do, or are coached not to. None of those options are particularly reassuring.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 25 Sep 2017 12:44

it was a draw.
not sure im understanding th enegativity
though ill admit I didn't even ian royal it on the radio

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Sep 2017 12:52

Maneki Neko it was a draw.
not sure im understanding th enegativity
though ill admit I didn't even ian royal it on the radio

think you had to be there

royalsmudge

by royalsmudge » 25 Sep 2017 13:12

Looked at Expected Goals for the game and compared to what most would say out best 2 performances were; Villa and Birmingham

Villa 1.6 v 1
Brum (a) 0.9 v 1.4
Hull 1.7 v 0.4

Suggesting the latter performance was the most dominant by some margin.

I've taken a closer interest in xG after last season when every expert spent all season slagging Reading off as being the worst team to ever grace the Championship playoffs (or something equally hyperbolic) and these figures are a good indication that stats are only of any worth when combined with actually watching the game.

I thought we were pretty awful on Saturday against a very average team short on confidence,
Thought we deserved a draw based on 2nd half pressure, no more.
Think winning 1 of next 2 is vital for rest of season as October looks very tough (were we to only take 0-2 points from next 2).

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 Sep 2017 14:00

Wycombe Royal I'm going to stick up for Gunter a bit. There were numerous times when he got the ball and looked to go forward and make a forward pass only to realise that the 3 "floating" attacking players were all in central and left positions meaning he either had to take the ball forward himself and take on the two Hull players in front of him or turn round and pass sideways or back. Long gone are the days of Gunter and McCleary working as team down the wing.....

Going to blame Stam for at least a bit of that - what in the name of oxf*rd oxf*rd was McCleary doing down the middle for most of the game? There was about a 10 minute spell where he drifted back wide, and lo and behold, between them, he and Gunter managed to get a couple of crosses in. We all know Gunts is not an expert crosser, but if he gets the chance to put in 10, at least two or three might be decent.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Sep 2017 14:26

looking around the various news sites, seems Bacuna was injured, hopefully back for tmrw and Yann should be involved again after the international break.

Would give us a much needed boost if we could start getting Yann back into the side. Sorely missed.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 25 Sep 2017 15:03

Hound Would give us a much needed boost if we could start getting Yann back into the side. Sorely missed.

If Yann is back that quick it is impressive. Was reported as new year at beginning of season. Good turn around for an old man.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Hull

by CountryRoyal » 26 Sep 2017 07:31

72 bus
Snowflake Royal Maybe you're in an acoustic deadspot.

He was, it's called the Madejski stadium

:lol: