Do you think Stam should go, or stay?

ridiculous question
stay.

48%-38% would disagree that it's a ridiculous question

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: In or Out?

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Sep 2017 12:33

Unless we get dragged into a relegation battle, he's earned the entire season imo, sick of this short-term approach to managers.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Sep 2017 12:39

tidus_mi2 Unless we get dragged into a relegation battle, he's earned the entire season imo, sick of this short-term approach to managers.

Let's give him until the end of next season. He might keep us in Div 1.

:wink:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Sep 2017 12:45

tidus_mi2 Unless we get dragged into a relegation battle, he's earned the entire season imo, sick of this short-term approach to managers.

We are 18th and 3 points from that zone and playing relegation football home and away.....how much of a relegation battle do you want?
Thank god that Bolton and Birmingham and Sunderland are utter sh*te because I can see us being right in that at the minute.
Sunderland and Birmingham may also have the opportunity to buy their way out when the transfer window reopens.
We were actually lucky against Hull (they had 2 free kicks that could easily have made it 3 nil Saturday) and yet they actually are right there with us.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 27 Sep 2017 12:45

It is starting to feel a bit like the days of Rodgers when the fans felt as though they were not being entertained.
I don't have a strong view either way but just wish that our possession was so much more in the opposition half.

under the tin

by under the tin » 27 Sep 2017 12:58

I think it’s a management style thing.
Jaap as a player was a formidable character, who took no crap from anyone, and I don’t think that leopards change their spots.
I would suggest that he has let absolutely everyone within the squad know, in his own inimitable style, exactly who is in charge, and the consequences of failure.
Coppell once said something along the lines of “some players need a cuddle, others need a rollicking”.
Anyone who has managed staff will know the truth in this.
They will also know that it is easier to give the cuddles out when things are going well.
Last season, at this stage, the players were extolling the virtues of improving as players under Stam, the squad appeared happy, and we were around and about the playoff spots. We had a good start.
Not a great start this year, and following some very inconsistent performances, we find ourselves around the nether reaches of the table, and I suspect the cuddles are in short supply.

The chopping and changing of the first team bears witness to Jaap’s ruthlessness, possibly resulting in the players being more afraid of the Boss’s wrath than the result/crowd/performance/opposition. The more adventurous, risky passes further up the pitch are being forsaken for the safe option of merely retaining possession.
As Barcelona blue correctly points out, possession without purpose is ineffectual. The highest possession figures in the league vs. our current league position bears this out.
Some on here have used the term “timid” when describing the players’ decision making. It could just be that these are the sort of players that need a cuddle right now.
Jaap is a novice football manager on a learning curve. He’d better learn fast, or he deserves to get the push.

WRT the OP, I think the Chinese will pull the plug on Stam around about the Boro game, should things not improve. Sod what the crowd think, they want a return on their money, and we are at the wrong end of this table for that to happen.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Sep 2017 13:05

The out voters are surprisingly quiet. Apart from ascotexgunner I haven't seen many attempt to reason out why he should go.

Interesting to see so many in almost unanimous agreement on here! The problems really are obvious (considering all the stay voters are saying the same thing) and that only makes it harder to defend Stam.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Sep 2017 13:09

genome An unknown quantity that is being overlooked here is the owners.

We have no idea if they are the patient type or the trigger happy type. It will be interesting to see how they react if this continues, or if they make a statement of sorts.

I can see the attendance being very poor on Saturday, and that's not going to do Stam any favours.

Does anyone know if Ron Gourlay has any say in this?

I get the feeling that Gourlay is the defacto owner. Well, he is running the club, so I would say that any decision on Stam's future, should one need to be taken would rest with him. He may need to speak with the owners first but I think he has a pretty free reign.

Could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Sep 2017 13:11

Ascotexgunner

We are 18th and 3 points from that zone and playing relegation football home and away.....how much of a relegation battle do you want?
Thank god that Bolton and Birmingham and Sunderland are utter sh*te because I can see us being right in that at the minute.
Sunderland and Birmingham may also have the opportunity to buy their way out when the transfer window reopens.
We were actually lucky against Hull (they had 2 free kicks that could easily have made it 3 nil Saturday) and yet they actually are right there with us.

9 games is a bit early to judge us in a relegation battle.

GazzTheSpaz

by GazzTheSpaz » 27 Sep 2017 13:34

In short, I think he has to turn things around pretty quickly.

In long, I think Stam is a great person and I hope he pulls through, the way he gains respect from the team is fantastic. However...

-Attendances are low, 15,000 instead of approx 20,000, not good.
-We were boring last season but boring and losing is unacceptable.
-Fans make the club, hitting out at them is very unprofessional.
-He seems to have run out of ideas and needs to adapt, maybe ditch the Dutch system.

Start winning or go, 2 more games to improve otherwise we need to find someone who can bring goals and excite fans.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Sep 2017 13:40

When Alan Pardew was appointed manager his number 2 was John Gorman, when things were not going well he ditched his no 2 and appointed Martin Allen, it wasn't long before we were winning games and scoring 5 goals.

Maybe, as suggested on another thread the loss of Stephen Reid has had an impact? - If anyone can prove this, then I'd certainly put his name in the hat to replace Stam if he can not turn things around.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Sep 2017 13:44

GazzTheSpaz -He seems to have run out of ideas and needs to adapt, maybe ditch the Dutch system.

+1
When Brendon Rogers was struggling with the passing game and we were heading for relegation, Brian McDermott came in and changed it to 442 and turned it around...... If Stam can do this himself, it isn't a sign of failure and he can change it back at a later stage or even during a game. Unfortunately for 442 to work we need 2 strikers or at least 2 forwards who can score goals and play up front.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 27 Sep 2017 14:02

Forbury Lion When Alan Pardew was appointed manager his number 2 was John Gorman, when things were not going well he ditched his no 2 and appointed Martin Allen, it wasn't long before we were winning games and scoring 5 goals.

Maybe, as suggested on another thread the loss of Stephen Reid has had an impact? - If anyone can prove this, then I'd certainly put his name in the hat to replace Stam if he can not turn things around.

+1 we miss Steven Reid and very curious to his sudden departure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Sep 2017 14:25

Oilroyal
Forbury Lion When Alan Pardew was appointed manager his number 2 was John Gorman, when things were not going well he ditched his no 2 and appointed Martin Allen, it wasn't long before we were winning games and scoring 5 goals.

I'm not sure we do. No one really knows the impact he had behind the scenes. I don't remember any players coming out last year and praising how good he was or anything like that

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Sep 2017 15:16

Hound
Oilroyal

I'm not sure we do. No one really knows the impact he had behind the scenes. I don't remember any players coming out last year and praising how good he was or anything like that
Nobody ever praises a line manager who makes them work hard, maybe the same here?
Maybe his inputs were to his manager and it's his manager who misses him but either doesn't realise it or perhaps sensibly won't admit it because it would make him look weak.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 27 Sep 2017 15:38

Hound
Oilroyal

Steven Reid was the English coach between the players and Jaap Stam and assistants Ulderink and Bakkati (the 3 Dutchmen). It worked a treat last season, the players seemed happy enough, Reid seemed committed and focused enough. First team coach from June 2015, left July 2017 before the season started without a job to go to. Weeks before he was upbeat in an interview from the Dutch training camp but to then up sticks and leave before the season even started was odd and smacks of a fall out. Jaap’s now appointed MJ as first team coach. I knew Gilkesy as a player and from what I saw of him in the players bar at Elm park he toes the line, keeps a low profile and never causes controversy. Will suit Jaap. That’s why I believe we miss Steven Reid.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Sep 2017 15:49

That is a massive amount of conjecture, Oilroyal

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Sep 2017 15:50

Stranded
genome An unknown quantity that is being overlooked here is the owners.

We have no idea if they are the patient type or the trigger happy type. It will be interesting to see how they react if this continues, or if they make a statement of sorts.

I can see the attendance being very poor on Saturday, and that's not going to do Stam any favours.

Does anyone know if Ron Gourlay has any say in this?

I get the feeling that Gourlay is the defacto owner. Well, he is running the club, so I would say that any decision on Stam's future, should one need to be taken would rest with him. He may need to speak with the owners first but I think he has a pretty free reign.

Could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

It would be the owner's decision as it's their money and their club. Mr Gourlay may well recommend a course of action to them playing wise but they would still have to approve that action before he implemented it. The owners have been around recently and i would suspect/hope that all those involved in that decision making at the moment are ok with things and see it as just a bad run nothing more. Another month of this sort of thing and discontent getting worse from the supporters though could see a sudden change...

BBC Berks had an interview with Ron Gourlay a couple of weeks back but don't think that was trumpeted too much like it should have been. Still waiting for the actual owners to do themselves a bit of PR in the local media though.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 27 Sep 2017 15:53

On the Fence until after the Norwich game.
Loose that and I think its curtains for him anyway.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 27 Sep 2017 16:00

OUT - Had more money than most managers, has recruited poorly and the so called Dutch style bores me to death.

504 posts