Dutch possession based football R.I.P.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nuremberg Royal

Dutch possession based football R.I.P.

by Nuremberg Royal » 15 Oct 2017 20:10

Good read .
The decline of Holland: how Dutch are doomed by total obsession with past | By @Priya8Ramesh https://t.co/SSKDthUoEA
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Dutch possession based football R.I.P.

by Hound » 15 Oct 2017 20:24

Yeah read that earlier, was an interesting piece

I think Jaap has at times been more concerned with sticking to his principles that working out the best way to win the game

Good signs on Saturday both with the tactics but also his comments afterwards about letting Leeds have the ball

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Oct 2017 21:19

There has certainly seemed to be a focus on playing the right way because its the right way, over playing it for the specific purpose of scoring goals and winning games.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 Oct 2017 22:03

Loved this quote: With us, it’s the exact opposite: ‘80% possession, played well, yes but we lose 1-0.’

Said it all.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Oct 2017 22:51

Royalwaster Loved this quote: With us, it’s the exact opposite: ‘80% possession, played well, yes but we lose 1-0.’

Said it all.

Yes that stood out for me as well.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Oct 2017 09:49

Perhaps, just perhaps, Stam has also taken that on board in the last couple of weeks and Reading just may start looking more like they did Saturday in future games.

No I'm not holding my breath either.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Oct 2017 10:08

To an extent i think the talk about systems and such like is a little overblown anyway

Its just a case of playing well sometimes. We've seen success over the last couple of years playing all sorts of styles - Leicester with their counter attack, Chelsea with their 3-4-3, Us and Hudders last year with possession based

There isn't one right way to play. Its a case of getting a balance between picking the right style for the players you have, not being too predictable, and also able to change if the oppo susses you out.

I thought Stam was adapting last years Kermogant reliant style this year to a more movement and pace based front 3. Where we seem to have messed up this year is trying to play like we did last year with slow patient build up and getting crosses in, but aiming those crosses at players who have no aerial presence. And when this fails, just continuing to do it anyway.

There is still plenty of worth in us keeping good possession at the back and midfield - but only if a) the attacking players are buzzing about like particularly irritating flies up front (i.e. Barrow) or b) if we are waiting for a chance to get it out wide and put in quality crosses to the likes of Yann. Dadi or Edwards

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Oct 2017 17:17

Hound To an extent i think the talk about systems and such like is a little overblown anyway

Its just a case of playing well sometimes. We've seen success over the last couple of years playing all sorts of styles - Leicester with their counter attack, Chelsea with their 3-4-3, Us and Hudders last year with possession based

There isn't one right way to play. Its a case of getting a balance between picking the right style for the players you have, not being too predictable, and also able to change if the oppo susses you out.

I thought Stam was adapting last years Kermogant reliant style this year to a more movement and pace based front 3. Where we seem to have messed up this year is trying to play like we did last year with slow patient build up and getting crosses in, but aiming those crosses at players who have no aerial presence. And when this fails, just continuing to do it anyway.

There is still plenty of worth in us keeping good possession at the back and midfield - but only if a) the attacking players are buzzing about like particularly irritating flies up front (i.e. Barrow) or b) if we are waiting for a chance to get it out wide and put in quality crosses to the likes of Yann. Dadi or Edwards

Yeah it's almost like playing any system badly whilst low on confidence is doomed to failure.

I tend to think that the more possession based technical styles require greater skill and are harder to get right, but if you can crack them will take you further, whilst the more direct, aggressive styles are easier to do ok in, but harder to excel in.

The focus no matter the style should always be "how does it help us achieve victory"

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Oct 2017 18:56

So Dutch/possession based football is dead because Holland haven't qualified for the world cup and Koeman & co haven't done so well recently and apparently Stam is in that bucket because of a recent 6 game winless run.

Countries that produce technically sound players that can pass the ball to each other and retain possession will always win the big trophies, check out the history of the world cup, champions league, et al.

Holland's world cup/euro record holds up pretty well against England's I reckon.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 16 Oct 2017 19:20

Mid Sussex Royal So Dutch/possession based football is dead because Holland haven't qualified for the world cup and Koeman & co haven't done so well recently and apparently Stam is in that bucket because of a recent 6 game winless run.

Countries that produce technically sound players that can pass the ball to each other and retain possession will always win the big trophies, check out the history of the world cup, champions league, et al.

Holland's world cup/euro record holds up pretty well against England's I reckon.

Re.Holland v England ...agreed.
Many young players from all around the world migrate to Holland because of the technical grounding that is given at an early age. Luis Squarez is a fine example.
What I am hoping is that coaches such as Stam see the need for flexibilty depending on the game/league and adapt accordingly.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1