BFTG Burton

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Burton

by genome » 31 Jan 2018 10:00

That touch from Bacuna for the 1st goal. Lovely stuff.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 31 Jan 2018 10:12

Denver Royal
TiagoIlori
Denver Royal
Good write up's.

I thought Yann played pretty well (although I'm going to watch the game again to be sure). But yes, he's still getting his legs under him and his timing down and sharpness back. The thing I see with him, though, is that he still occupies defenders and they are wary of his rep and record, which I think brings other players in to the game, like Bod tonite.

Really wish the pair of them had started the season differently. Yann was out injured, period, for the first couple months with a bad injury. Bod was signed very late, wasn't really fit, started game one, and promptly got injured in it. If these two had had a full off season, a full camp, a full pre-season, and both been fit and ready game one, and remained fit, then I think we might have been looking at a different season. That stuff is so vital for conditioning, training with the coaches, developing chemistry, etc. As it was, either one of them, or both of them, were injured a lot of the time til about Dec. But hopefully the pair of them can really gel and be a force going forward...

Bodvarsson seems to have gained a lot of confidence as of late, being there to score simple tap ins is a sign of a great striker. He’d be perfect with a powerful striker, the things I’d do to have the 11/12 version of Jason Roberts back

Yep, agreed. I think Bod may be a season away yet, given his delayed start here. But yeah, this is a brute of a division, with some big clubs with big money. (castoff Elphick is an example). What we did last year was amazing, and it was unlikely we'd do the same this season. (We don't exactly have a long history of going back to back in the Champ anyway). As you sit down over the Summer, and you try to at least chart doing it, how do you do it? How do you circumnavigate Wolves, Villa, Leeds, Boro, Derby, Norwich, Fulham, etc. (Appoint Gilkes? :wink: ). Well for starters, significant injuries to Yann and Bod very early doors wouldn't be in your ideal scenario. With just Yann alone, subtract his 20 goals, and you are going to feel it. At our level, with our scope as a club, in this league today, we'd want all our ducks in line and the stars to align...and they didn't this season at the outset with Yann and Bod.

Looks like we’re about to replace Yann with Chris Martin as a loan deal is close, hopefully that motivates Yann even more to get himself at a healthy weight again, injury seems to have crippled him sadly, lost all his confidence because he’s barely scored. Not good at all for Yann

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jan 2018 10:30

genome That touch from Bacuna for the 1st goal. Lovely stuff.

He's both brilliant and infuriating.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Jan 2018 10:39

As ever, thanks to those that went for taking the time to give a proper account of what happened.
What a relief.
Having broken the Tuesday night away hoodoo,let's hope for the Saturday afternoon hoodoo now to be broken.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Jan 2018 10:50

Harsh to call something a hoodoo, when there have only been 4 non-wins on Tuesday nights between the last one and last night :!:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Jan 2018 11:22

Hendo Harsh to call something a hoodoo, when there have only been 4 non-wins on Tuesday nights between the last one and last night :!:

I thought we had gone a very long time for away league games (posted by somebody under another topic) but if wrong I'll stick with the Saturday hoodoo which I know is correct as I have been to every game and can't remember being entertained let alone win a game.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Jan 2018 11:27

Victor Meldrew
Hendo Harsh to call something a hoodoo, when there have only been 4 non-wins on Tuesday nights between the last one and last night :!:

I thought we had gone a very long time for away league games (posted by somebody under another topic) but if wrong I'll stick with the Saturday hoodoo which I know is correct as I have been to every game and can't remember being entertained let alone win a game.

Won at Birmingham last season 0-1, a year ago today in-fact. A quick count puts 4 away games on Tuesday nights between then and last night.

Saturday is a hoodoo which is correct and one I hope we end at the weekend.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Jan 2018 11:35

Hendo
Victor Meldrew

Won at Birmingham last season 0-1, a year ago today in-fact. A quick count puts 4 away games on Tuesday nights between then and last night.

A year is long enough to be a hoodoo IMHO. :wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Jan 2018 11:37

Victor Meldrew
Hendo
Victor Meldrew

A year is long enough to be a hoodoo IMHO. :wink:

It infuriates me when commentators come out with stats like that.

"Team X hasn't won at team Y for 65 years!!!" when in those 65 years, they have played a grand total of 1 game :roll:

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 31 Jan 2018 11:40

Enjoyable evening at the Pirelli, first time I'd been there, and wow. I never realised just quite how far above their weight Burton are punching.

Mannone - 5.5 Didn't really have much to do at all, can remember a tame long range effort and that's about it. Distribution wasn't bad.

Gunter - 6.5 Took his goal very well, and played well at WB getting forward on the odd occasion.
Moore - 6 Didn't let Bent or Akins really win anything. Unfairly booked in the first half.
Ilori - 6.5 Probably one of his better games I've seen in a Reading shirt. Looked fairly composed all night.
Bacuna - 7 Was all over the park, and once we'd took the lead and went to 3 CB's, was a solid LWB. The man seems to be the ultimate utility player.

VdB - 6 Was involved in some good challenges, and made a few good passes, the one for Barrow to assist for the 2nd goal was a nice pass.
Edwards - 6 Kept harassing the Burton midfield all night, and turned the ball over quickly from defence to attack, or left to right when needed.
Barrow - 7 Played very well, all of his runs seemed to come off last night. A couple of poor crosses/passes but nothing major.
Aluko - 4.5 Really didn't think he did much at all. Hauled off after 60 mins once Burton had equalised and we looked much sharper going forward for the 15 minutes following it.

Kermorgant - 5.5 Won a few headers and looked like he hustled in central midfield well, but I really think his time as a Championship player is coming to an end. I really struggle to see how he's fit enough, and his legs seem to have given way totally.
JDB - 7.5 MOTM for Reading, full of running and was in the right place to score the goals. No matter the side we were playing, even if it was 2 tap ins last night, he was there which is the player we have been lacking all season. Should be starting every week now imo if we don't get a striker in.

Elphick - 6.5 Looked a threat from corners and could have scored twice.
Evans - N/A Didnt play long enough to warrant a rating.

Stam - 6.5 Forced himself to play two strikers, and visibly changed the system once we took the lead. There did seem to be a conceding that actually we couldn't just knock the ball around slowly against Burton like we did last month, and there was a bit more direct football played.

Fans - 6.5 Made a fair bit of noise for small periods of time, and stayed fairly positive throughout even when Burton got their goal.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 31 Jan 2018 12:55

genome
Brum Royal Yup agreed. Good backing of the lads last night. Didn't hear anything particularly negative, but easier to be positive when you lead for the majority of the game I think!

But according to double d, who was "there", the atmosphere was really sour? :?

The only negative thing I heard last night was someone repeating ‘£7.5 million for that’ about Aluko. Even when he had his shot on target. I personally feel he gets a rough time. He showed flashes of his talent last night, but Stam insists on playing him as a CM. Dunno why?!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2018 13:34

Kitsondinho
genome
Brum Royal Yup agreed. Good backing of the lads last night. Didn't hear anything particularly negative, but easier to be positive when you lead for the majority of the game I think!

The only negative thing I heard last night was someone repeating ‘£7.5 million for that’ about Aluko. Even when he had his shot on target. I personally feel he gets a rough time. He showed flashes of his talent last night, but Stam insists on playing him as a CM. Dunno why?!

It's curious that dd has different view of the atmosphere to everyone else who went. I am surprised he wanted to repeatedly post on HNA during the actual game as well, clearly having read other posts.

I wonder if there's an obvious explanation for these two strange facts.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 31 Jan 2018 13:37

Good value for the win. We were always the more likely to score and got our rewards for an attacking line-up too. Dave Edwards caught the eye, seems quite underrated amongst our fan base but he keeps it ticking over in midfielder and always good in possession. Good atmosphere amongst the travelling support.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jan 2018 13:39

Snowflake Royal
Kitsondinho
genome

It's curious that dd has different view of the atmosphere to everyone else who went. I am surprised he wanted to repeatedly post on HNA during the actual game as well, clearly having read other posts.

I wonder if there's an obvious explanation for these two strange facts.
Laying a decoy trail to EIL

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Jan 2018 16:19

I have just caught up on match report etc - was there seriously under 3,000 in attendance last night or that a typo?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jan 2018 16:32

For a club that normally gates less than 6k for their “big” Saturday fixtures (away end filled) it comes as no surprise....all the obvious factors considered

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 31 Jan 2018 16:49

paultheroyal I have just caught up on match report etc - was there seriously under 3,000 in attendance last night or that a typo?

Yeah 2704 there last night.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 31 Jan 2018 16:50

RG30 Good value for the win. We were always the more likely to score and got our rewards for an attacking line-up too. Dave Edwards caught the eye, seems quite underrated amongst our fan base but he keeps it ticking over in midfielder and always good in possession. Good atmosphere amongst the travelling support.

Exactly why Edwards was MOM last night. He was superb at doing the simple, but important, things very well.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jan 2018 17:38

Kitsondinho
RG30 Good value for the win. We were always the more likely to score and got our rewards for an attacking line-up too. Dave Edwards caught the eye, seems quite underrated amongst our fan base but he keeps it ticking over in midfielder and always good in possession. Good atmosphere amongst the travelling support.

Exactly why Edwards was MOM last night. He was superb at doing the simple, but important, things very well.

Like giving away a penalty. No farting about just a straight forward foul in the box.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Jan 2018 17:38

3points
windermereROYAL
Even more impressive we only played with 10 men.

oxf*rd me. I forgot Aluko even played :oops: score him a 4 given he was played totally out of position but had no impact on the game

For me the team as a whole scoes an 8. Ugly game against a powerfull physical side. Not for the purist. A thoroughly deserved win. Where the players gave their all. Not one single daft moment (as there was on Friday). Decisive decisions to clear the ball. Seems as the players believe in Stam. I have to say a huge amount of my belief was restored by the end.