158 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h) sponsored by looking for a win at home on a Saturday

by Sutekh » 31 Jan 2018 09:47

When : Saturday 3rd February, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Time to get carried away. Reading have now extended their unbeaten run of league games to one, a sequence that includes an amazing run of one win as well.

It’s just as well the team are in such terrific form and purring with confidence as it’s Millwall up next to the Mad Stad as the mighty Biscuitmen go in search of cracking another record, that of securing a home league win on a Saturday - and it’s only February.

Millwall have 34 points and are therefore just 2 points better off than Reading from the same number of games so, essentially, the two clubs have had very similar seasons to date. Millwall would be better of in the league were it not for their away form which has seen them struggle with just one win away from home in the league. However that was last time out when they won 4-3 at Leeds so they will not be without a bit of belief and, as ever, packed with fight and putting it right up the opposition.

Millwall will have Tim Cahill back for the rest of the season and, despite his 38 years, I have no doubt he’ll still be a really difficult opponent and a leader so will be one to watch for them though I would expect him to be eased back in from the bench. Jake Cooper is the current link between the two sides but doesn’t always start, However we all know he can be an outstanding defender and poses many a threat at set pieces. In addition Millwall are expected to complete the signing of Wolves midfelder Ben Marshall in time for the game

Reading have no new injury issues and being on the run they are at the moment why change anything? There is still a chance the club may add to the ranks on the last day of the window with (currently) a loan deal for Chris Martin or Tomer Hemed being top of the suspect list but chances are Reading will sign no-one (and least of all a striker).

Referee

Referee for the game is Hampshire's Andy Davies who will be doing his 6th Reading game in just over a year. They've all been at home and there have been 3 wins, a draw and 2 defeats the most recent being the 2-0 loss to Swansea in this season’s League Cup..

Historically

This will be the 94th league game against Millwall and therefore the 47th time Reading will have played them at home. Currently it is definitely a case of the home team ruling as Reading have won 27 of those 46 games and lost just 11 (more or less the opposite of the games at Millwall).

There are usually a stack of goals between the sides, Reading have netted 90 while Millwall have managed 44.

So 0-0 it’ll be then.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h) sponsored by looking for a win at home on a Saturday

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jan 2018 09:54

I was hoping this would have been sponsored by Tim Cahill's inevitable 90th minute headed winner but oh well :D

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h) sponsored by looking for a win at home on a Saturday

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 31 Jan 2018 12:43

Shouldn't be getting carried away after last nights win but I have renewed optimism. 2-0 home win for me. 8)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jan 2018 12:52

Old Man Andrews I was hoping this would have been sponsored by Tim Cahill's inevitable 90th minute headed winner but oh well :D
there’s always Jake Cooper

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2018 13:50

Be interesting to see what Jaap does with the team

Would think Elphick would start. Guessing we’ll go same team as started against Burton but Elphick for Aluko as was the substitution

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Jan 2018 13:51

Hound Be interesting to see what Jaap does with the team

Would think Elphick would start. Guessing we’ll go same team as started against Burton but Elphick for Aluko as was the substitution

Elphick in for Aluko, and if he signs, Martin in for Kermorgant

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 31 Jan 2018 13:59

I was a bit confused by that sub to be honest. Did we revert from a 4-4-2 (ish) to 3-5-2 when Elphick came on? That was the only formation that seemed to fit with the men on the field, but you never know with Stam. Taking off a so-caled creative player for a central defender just after we'd conceded did seem strange, (although no stranger than most of Stam's substitutions), but then in the same minute goal machine Gunter popped up to restore the lead. Was Gunter then a wing-back??

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2018 14:14

strap

I was a bit confused by that sub to be honest. Did we revert from a 4-4-2 (ish) to 3-5-2 when Elphick came on? That was the only formation that seemed to fit with the men on the field, but you never know with Stam. Taking off a so-caled creative player for a central defender just after we'd conceded did seem strange, (although no stranger than most of Stam's substitutions), but then in the same minute goal machine Gunter popped up to restore the lead. Was Gunter then a wing-back??

I'm not actually sure. Was confused by it myself

But being as I'm sure Elphick is viewed as a starter, and Aluko put in another crap performance from the sound of it, that sounds the obvious switch

Always a chance he will just put in Elphick for Ilori but that would be a mistake imo. Also think Martin will start on the bench

gdroyal

by gdroyal » 31 Jan 2018 15:06

strap

It started as a sort of 4-4-2 although Aluko seemed to be very central and Edwards sort of hanging out on the right but it seemed to be very fluid. It then changed to a 3-5-2 with Gunter moving to CB, Bacuna at LWB and Barrow at RWB. Bringing Elphick on allowed Barrow to move upfield and play alongside Kermorgant and Barrow in a 3-4-3/5-2-3 formation - tbf it worked as we played a lot better when Aluko came off.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jan 2018 17:32

gdroyal
strap

It started as a sort of 4-4-2 although Aluko seemed to be very central and Edwards sort of hanging out on the right but it seemed to be very fluid. It then changed to a 3-5-2 with Gunter moving to CB, Bacuna at LWB and Barrow at RWB. Bringing Elphick on allowed Barrow to move upfield and play alongside Kermorgant and Barrow in a 3-4-3/5-2-3 formation - tbf it worked as we played a lot better when Aluko came off.

Y'see this is why Aluko get so much stick. He's a fine talented player with tricks aplenty and can beat a man like no-one's business but he forever cuts inside and holds central positions and this really is not his game. Consequently he looks rather poor.

Now I know he suffers from an incionsistent end product as well but if that was consistent he'd be in the PL but is his tendency to be central a Stam instruction - or is that really his game after all?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jan 2018 19:56

And Chris Martin goes into the squad for Saturday. Bet he’s only on the bench though, especially if it’s too cold to play

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 31 Jan 2018 22:23

thanks

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2018 07:10

My guess is we’ll go 3-5-2

Mannone
Elphick Ilori Moore
Gunter Bacuna Joey Edwards Barrow
Dadi Yann/Martin

Which looks an experienced and physically strong 11 which is probably the best bet at the moment

Be nice if Swift was fit for the bench. Do miss his creativity

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2018 08:10

2-1
Edwards and Martin from the bench.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2018 13:52

Hound My guess is we’ll go 3-5-2

Mannone
Elphick Ilori Moore
Dadi Yann/Martin

Which looks an experienced and physically strong 11 which is probably the best bet at the moment

This seems likely to me, though asking Barrow to do any defending seems an exercise in futility, and Gunter seems to only be positive on the left. So it's not ideal.

I'd like to see Evans considered ahead of Joey and if we get in any decent form, maybe Kelly back in with Edwards and Bacuna.

Oh for some genuine wing backs. I think Barrow could work well playing off Martin/Bod/Kermie... but that's more something to build on in training rather than try now. Anything to not rely on him defending.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Feb 2018 14:00

Snowflake Royal

Mannone
Elphick Ilori Moore
Dadi Yann/Martin

This seems likely to me, though asking Barrow to do any defending seems an exercise in futility, and Gunter seems to only be positive on the left. So it's not ideal.

I'd like to see Evans considered ahead of Joey and if we get in any decent form, maybe Kelly back in with Edwards and Bacuna.

Oh for some genuine wing backs. I think Barrow could work well playing off Martin/Bod/Kermie... but that's more something to build on in training rather than try now. Anything to not rely on him defending.

Really experiment, drop Joey from that and play Bod, Martin and Yann up front. Should be a laugh.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Feb 2018 14:02

Sutekh Millwall have 34 points and are therefore just 2 points better off than Reading from the same number of games so

Don't Millwall have 35 points, so are 3 points above us with a 4 better goal difference? A win by 2 clear goals will see us move above them....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2018 14:03

Snowflake Royal

Mannone
Elphick Ilori Moore
Dadi Yann/Martin

yeah its not the team I'd choose but I think thats the way he might go. Would also put Evans in for Joey.

One option looking at it, would be to push Bacuna out wide and then play Barrow behind the front 2. May work quite well. Aluko might work in that role as well, but he'd need to up his game considerably.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Feb 2018 17:28

Wycombe Royal
Sutekh Millwall have 34 points and are therefore just 2 points better off than Reading from the same number of games so

Don't Millwall have 35 points, so are 3 points above us with a 4 better goal difference? A win by 2 clear goals will see us move above them....

Yes, you are correct, compiled my bit before they drew with Derby.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Feb 2018 10:04

Wycombe Royal

Ye, they're good at home but they'll found out when they come to our hostile fortress without their fans intimidating that shockingly weak lino at The Den earlier in the season that denied us what has got to be the most blatant penalty in world footballing history.

We will smash them just for that.

158 posts