FA Youth Cup U18 - Colchester United vs. Reading FC

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: FA Youth Cup U18 - Colchester United vs. Reading FC

by Hound » 07 Feb 2018 08:48

think we've seen with Richards, these lads can make the step up if given the opportunity

Loader looks a pretty big lad - I reckon he could handle a few games. I'd certainly be looking to have him on the bench. Reckon he could do a job paired with Martin or Dadi for 30 mins at the end of a game

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Feb 2018 09:07

Hound think we've seen with Richards, these lads can make the step up if given the opportunity

Loader looks a pretty big lad - I reckon he could handle a few games. I'd certainly be looking to have him on the bench. Reckon he could do a job paired with Martin or Dadi for 30 mins at the end of a game

I think the big thing with him is he looks very confident as a player and person. I don't think it would phase him to step up to our first team bench and come on in games. Perhaps it may be best to wait until we are a bit safer from relegation to throw him in but it is getting to the point where we don't really have a lot to lose by including him in squads. I'd have him over Yann every day of the week at the moment.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Feb 2018 09:09

Hound think we've seen with Richards, these lads can make the step up if given the opportunity

What's Loader's record like in the U-23's because I think that he's got to get ahead of Sam Smith before he gets a bench place or have we all written him off already.

As an aside I think Stam holds more store in what players do in training than a lot of managers/coaches might . Not just the youngsters but also the senior players. I suspect it's the reason the likes of Kelly, Richards and Smith have featured in the first team ahead of some of the more vaunted Academy prospects.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2018 09:15

I think its been a little patchy - but partly because he plays in the other age groups as well.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Feb 2018 09:20

Hound I think its been a little patchy - but partly because he plays in the other age groups as well.

That might well be a stumbling block. If he can't or tbf doesn't get the chance to impress at that level it's difficult to justify him getting a place in the first team squad. Particularly given how ridiculously large that 1st team squad is at the moment, which is another major issue we have.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2018 09:25

Vision

What's Loader's record like in the U-23's because I think that he's got to get ahead of Sam Smith before he gets a bench place or have we all written him off already.

As an aside I think Stam holds more store in what players do in training than a lot of managers/coaches might . Not just the youngsters but also the senior players. I suspect it's the reason the likes of Kelly, Richards and Smith have featured in the first team ahead of some of the more vaunted Academy prospects.

According to Transfermarkt.com he has scored 5 in 9 games at a goal every 160 mins.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2018 09:26

He has been held back for various games as well - ie didn't play in the U23 Norwich game so he could play last night

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Feb 2018 13:43

from the FA website

The final draws of this season’s FA Youth Cup have been made, with the sixth round and semi-finals now set out.

With a number of fifth round ties still to be concluded, each round will take shape over the coming weeks as games take place.

Sixth round ties should be played by Saturday 3 March, with the two-legged semi-finals to be concluded by Saturday 7 April.

The sixth round draw

1 Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur or Chelsea
2 Norwich City v Bury or Birmingham City
3 Reading v Arsenal
4 Blackburn Rovers v Blackpool

The semi-final first leg

1 Blackburn Rovers or Blackpool v Reading or Arsenal
2 Norwich City or Bury or Birmingham City v Fulham or Tottenham Hotspur or Chelsea

The semi-final second leg

1 Reading or Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers or Blackpool
2 Fulham or Tottenham Hotspur or Chelsea v Norwich City or Bury or Birmingham City
Last edited by Royals and Racers on 08 Feb 2018 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 07 Feb 2018 18:41

Hound I do wonder if there is an overcoaching of the first 11. Whoever I’ve seen the youth teams they play the style far more effectively than the first 11.

Report says one of the lads who played was 15 (Samuel) Maybe a name to keep an eye on.

Interesting you say that, read an article on Chelski's current problems and they mentioned that 8 players have suffered hamstring injuries this season, and suggested that it was because they were being overworked. So are our training schedules too intense between games?

Noticed the game was on Facebook last night, glad I didn't watch if the stream was playing up, the highlights were enough for me. Loader also hit the bar with a cross and Holsgrove hit the bar with a free-kick so it seemed as though the score flattered Colchester.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2018 19:45

The bit I did manage to watch, we were totally outclassing them

Suppose not a huge suprise considering the difference in levels of the club

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Feb 2018 11:11

Vision

Joey must look fantastic in training-perhaps our players are too frightened to get near him in practice matches which makes him look really good on the ball.
Other than that, as some posters have suggested,he must have something big on Stam.