by Longhorn1970 » 20 Feb 2018 23:33

Berry Could of been worse, could of been better.....We move on again

Jaap ? :mrgreen:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a) sponsored by things can only get better

by Denver Royal » 20 Feb 2018 23:33

Snowflake Royal Gunter's inspid play was typified back on the right tonight. Falling over under miinimal contact to scam freekicks when he'd run down a blind alley under pressure rather than clear it early. Deciding not to try to win the ball and instead track his man (fine) then instantly leaving him the second there was a turnover, so when Forest immediately won it back he was nowhere near where he was supposed to be to do any defensive work. And of course Tomlin finds a bit of space attacking our box and buries it.

I thought Berg was pretty decent, if walking a tightrope at times.

Kelly tidier than recently but as with all our forward play lacking real spark.

Barrow seemed pretty anonymous.

It was a decent point, even more so given results around us. Forest were really at it tonite...and that's way more relevant than their previous 5 games.

In response to your points...

I know how you feel about Gunter, and I've defended him in the past, but not tonite. With 5 mins left in a game like that, you keep everything in front of you, and you make them beat you. 1-0 up, away, you know your team has conceded a lot of late goals. He's a veteran pro, yet it was a school boy error. He was nervy in 2nd half, prolly because he let some of their fans and players get in his head and he lost his focus. (And from what I saw, he foolishly enticed some of that by diving, which isn't really his forte).

Joey was ok, put himself about (which made some Forest players timid), but his passing was way off.

Kelly was too lightweight for me and a luxuary. He's ok when things are going right.

Barrow had a mare, which really hurt us. His final ball, even with time and space, is a work in progress.

Edwards? The back heel which should have won us the game? Oh dear.

Ian, I'm not yet sold on Bacuna in midfield. You need to be a 90 minute player in midfield, and he hasn't been, either at this club, or previously. If he has a great game, all game, tonite, we win it going away. He's an enigma, because there is a player in there. He has ability, and he could be ten times the player he is. He came with the rep of being a bit of a head case. Bruce said he's difficult to coach/manage, and I can see why. For me, in midfield he saunters around, waving arms, giving directions, snatching the ball at free kicks, thinking he's way better than he is, and he flatters to deceive. Put it this way, he wouldn't be a 90 minute player for Warnock. Ironically, put him at FB, where he can take a breather, needs less scope, and so is more focused, and his ability 1 on 1 is then more pronounced. He looks a pretty boy, with the died hair, wrist bands, anklets,etc. He looks the part. But watch real close, and he really doesn't get a lot done over 90 mins. Not in the engine house of midfield in the Champ. It could happen, but not yet, anyway.

Why does every other post keep stating who our next 3 games are against? I'm well aware of our schedule, thx, and if I'm not I can look it up. And, we'll take 'em one game at a time without counting any chickens, thx. That's usually how footy works. :)
Last edited by Denver Royal on 21 Feb 2018 02:23, edited 7 times in total.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 20 Feb 2018 23:36

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal Gunter's inspid play was typified back on the right tonight. Falling over under miinimal contact to scam freekicks when he'd run down a blind alley under pressure rather than clear it early. Deciding not to try to win the ball and instead track his man (fine) then instantly leaving him the second there was a turnover, so when Forest immediately won it back he was nowhere near where he was supposed to be to do any defensive work. And of course Tomlin finds a bit of space attacking our box and buries it.

It was a decent point, even more so given results around us. Forest were really at it tonite...and that's way more relevant than their previous 5 games.

I've defended Gunter in the past, but not tonite. With 5 mins left in a game like that, you keep everything in front of you, and you make them beat you. 1-0 up, away, you know your team has conceded a lot of late goals. He's a veteran pro, yet it was a school boy error. He was nervy in 2nd half, prolly because he let some of their fans and players get in his head and he lost his focus.

Joey was ok, put himself about (which made some Forest players timid), but his passing was way off.

Kelly is too lightweight for me and a luxuary.

Barrow had a mare, which really hurt us. His final ball, even with time and space, is a work in progress.

I'm not yet sold on Bacuna in midfield. You need to be a 90 minute player there, and he hasn't been. If he has a great game all game tonite, we win it going away. He's an enigma, because he has ability, and could be ten times the player he is. He came with the rep of being a bit of a head case. Bruce said he's difficult to coach/manage and I can see why. Flatters to deceive. Pity.

Why does every other post keep stating who our next 3 games are against? I'm well aware of out schedule, thx. And, we'll take 'em one game at a time without counting any chickens. That's how footy works. :)

I'd be worried if I was a brum fan, they look like they're in freefall ..

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Feb 2018 23:42

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews Excellent, the undroppable Yann has been dropped! About time.

Hasn’t spread to joey though has it? He is untouchable seemingly

Joey can't be dropped. He's there to give us all hope we can still make it in the professional football game.

This is the only plausible explanation I have seen. Well played sir (OMA not JVDB, natch)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Feb 2018 23:46

Denver Royal

I know how you feel about Gunter, and I've defended him in the past, but not tonite. With 5 mins left in a game like that, you keep everything in front of you, and you make them beat you. 1-0 up, away, you know your team has conceded a lot of late goals. He's a veteran pro, yet it was a school boy error. He was nervy in 2nd half, prolly because he let some of their fans and players get in his head and he lost his focus. (And from what I saw, he foolishly enticed some of that).

Kelly was too lightweight for me and a luxuary. He's ok when things are going right.

Ian, I'm not yet sold on Bacuna in midfield. You need to be a 90 minute player in midfield, and he hasn't been, either here or previously. If he has a great game all game tonite, we win it going away. He's an enigma, because he has ability, and could be ten times the player he is. He came with the rep of being a bit of a head case. Bruce said he's difficult to coach/manage and I can see why. Flatters to deceive. Pity.

Why does every other post keep stating who our next 3 games are against? I'm well aware of out schedule, thx. And, we'll take 'em one game at a time without counting any chickens. That's how footy works. :)

A decent point?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 20 Feb 2018 23:46

Any post match comments from Jaap ? Or did he send Aluko out again ..

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Feb 2018 00:06

Longhorn1970
Denver Royal

I've defended Gunter in the past, but not tonite. With 5 mins left in a game like that, you keep everything in front of you, and you make them beat you. 1-0 up, away, you know your team has conceded a lot of late goals. He's a veteran pro, yet it was a school boy error. He was nervy in 2nd half, prolly because he let some of their fans and players get in his head and he lost his focus.

Kelly is too lightweight for me and a luxuary.

I'm not yet sold on Bacuna in midfield. You need to be a 90 minute player there, and he hasn't been. If he has a great game all game tonite, we win it going away. He's an enigma, because he has ability, and could be ten times the player he is. He came with the rep of being a bit of a head case. Bruce said he's difficult to coach/manage and I can see why. Flatters to deceive. Pity.

I'd be worried if I was a brum fan, they look like they're in freefall ..

Yep, and so are Barnsley.

I watched our game tonite and I'm not seeing all the negativity really. A point each was about right.

If you watch the first half again, Forest didn't pose many probs really, we played in their half, and they were booed off. We are playing a lot more direct stuff these days, since Brentford, really. We are also playing with more intensity. We need more size in the team, which needs to be addressed over summer. (Cardiff have six over 6'3 in their 1st eleven).

Forest would obviously make adjustments and we'd need to weather it, we did. (Mannone should have at least dived for their goal, which I've seen once too often from him. He froze and looked wooden and stared up at defenders too soon. Dare I say it, was he actually to the left side of his goal, and pretty much on the goal line, when the pass came in from the left?)

We had some 2nd half opportunities, too. Martin had few chances, tried to hold the ball up, put himself about, and took a beating by their D, and gave it back too, I thought.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Feb 2018 01:41

Denver Royal Forest would obviously make adjustments and we'd need to weather it, we did. (Mannone should have at least dived for their goal, which

We got battered the entire second half and eventually leaked the goal everyone knew was coming. Not sure quite how that is weathering it?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Feb 2018 01:44

leon
Denver Royal

I know how you feel about Gunter, and I've defended him in the past, but not tonite. With 5 mins left in a game like that, you keep everything in front of you, and you make them beat you. 1-0 up, away, you know your team has conceded a lot of late goals. He's a veteran pro, yet it was a school boy error. He was nervy in 2nd half, prolly because he let some of their fans and players get in his head and he lost his focus. (And from what I saw, he foolishly enticed some of that).

Ian, I'm not yet sold on Bacuna in midfield. You need to be a 90 minute player in midfield, and he hasn't been, either here or previously. If he has a great game all game tonite, we win it going away. He's an enigma, because he has ability, and could be ten times the player he is. He came with the rep of being a bit of a head case. Bruce said he's difficult to coach/manage and I can see why. Flatters to deceive. Pity.

A decent point?

Yes. Care to elaborate on your thoughts? (Assuming you saw it).

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Feb 2018 02:10

FiNeRaIn
Denver Royal Forest would obviously make adjustments and we'd need to weather it, we did. (Mannone should have at least dived for their goal, which

We got battered the entire second half and eventually leaked the goal everyone knew was coming. Not sure quite how that is weathering it?

Did you you actually see the game? That way, I may better be able to respond to you, and understand where you are coming from.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Feb 2018 03:32

Yes I watched it on a stream someone provided early on.

There isn't really a lot to debate though, we didn't weather any storm. Weathering it would have been holding out for the win except we caved to their pressure and lost two points.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 21 Feb 2018 06:22

JR
Forest Gump
windermereROYAL
Last time I looked we were 4 points above the drop zone, did you mistake this forum for twitter?

Will 4 points be enough of a cushion with Defeats to Derby, Wolves and Sheff Utd coming up.
Tonight’s game was one of the easiest of our run in.
Feel safe now eh?

To be frank yes - we don’t need your sort.

We play better against the teams further up the league.

You’re not a real fan - bet you don’t have a south bank story?

Seriously? You can only call yourself a fan if you a), went to watch Reading at Elm Park, and b), stood in the South Bank while doing it?

I went to Elm Park regularly but used to stand in the Tilehurst End. I do actually have a 'South Bank story' as I stood towards the Town End for a game against Swinedon once (and hated the confrontation that there obviously was for such a game). I never ventured into the South Bank again.

However, if I only had one season of watching Reading at Madejski Stadium, sitting on my hands in the Upper West, you would still have no right to say I'm not a fan.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the team and how they're playing. If they think Stam is not to blame, you can disagree with them sure, but it doesn't make them any less of a fan from you.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 21 Feb 2018 06:31

A point away from home is good, especially with a Saturday game coming up at Fortress Madejski... :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Feb 2018 06:52

TBH we can’t keep losing at home. 4 in a row at the moment isn’t it? It will change at some point surely

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Feb 2018 07:38

Denver Royal
leon
Denver Royal

A decent point?

Yes. Care to elaborate on your thoughts? (Assuming you saw it).

We needed 3 points.

We were 1 up until 5 mins to. Our second half performance was abject in the extreme. To the extent that it was one of the poorest performances I’ve seen from us.

I watched a stream.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Feb 2018 07:39

FiNeRaIn Yes I watched it on a stream someone provided early on.

There isn't really a lot to debate though, we didn't weather any storm. Weathering it would have been holding out for the win except we caved to their pressure and lost two points.

Well quite.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Feb 2018 08:15

Denver Royal's arrogance and holier than thou attitude aside he has a point.

Our first half display was very good in comparison to how it has been in recent games and naturally the players reverted to type in the second half under extreme pressure from Forest who are a team that has a lot of quality individuals in it. We very nearly held on too so all in all you have to take away the positives from this game I think. Yes we needed the 3 points, of course we did but I will always take a point away from home in the Championship.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 Feb 2018 08:33

I am not sure tactics played any part in last nights game. They were fired up after half time, we were not. How we set up in general is easy to figure out. The midfield do not move, mark them out of the game, we either hoof it down the line to an isolated player with zero options (thats even if the ball gets to him) or we pass it back.
Joey, I really dont see him as first team player, would have been good to throw him on early 2nd half to help protect our defence.
Kelly very forgettable performance, like most this season.
Barrow, clueless last night gave no protection and clearly didn't want to mark/track back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Feb 2018 08:51

Old Man Andrews Denver Royal's arrogance and holier than thou attitude aside he has a point.

Our first half display was very good in comparison to how it has been in recent games and naturally the players reverted to type in the second half under extreme pressure from Forest who are a team that has a lot of quality individuals in it. We very nearly held on too so all in all you have to take away the positives from this game I think. Yes we needed the 3 points, of course we did but I will always take a point away from home in the Championship.

yep this pretty much. Its not like Forest had an absolute hatful of chances either.

I don't think Kelly, Joey or Bacuna played very well tbh. Too many poor passes. But they did at least battle and keep chasing, and looked to be positive

Aluko is a problem. I thought he showed a lot more than he has recently, but his quality on the ball is really poor. Whether its losing it deep in our half, misplaced passing, or corners straight into the keeper's gloves, he just isn't up to it. And sadly, we don't really have another decent option to replace him.

A couple of those moves on the highlights in the first half, generally involving Gunter, were very very good as well. Positive signs there.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 21 Feb 2018 08:58

As I said in the BFTG thread, a lot of our (self created) problems in the 2nd half stemmed from Aluko drifting further and further in field. In the 1st half him, Barrow, Gunter and Richards provided plenty of width. This pegged Forest back and allowed us to control the game tempo. Barrow didn’t need to track back as much because we were pushing forward on a regular basis. 2nd half, Aluko drifts inside and constantly gives the ball away in dangerous areas. Gunter does repeated impressions of a dying swan. Barrow floats around on the wing amd doesn’t help Richards. Martin becomes more and more isolated and his flick ons go nowhere. Their goal had been coming for 40 mins. I was happy with a point because it could have been 0. However on balance 1-1 was a fair result over the course of the whole game.

255 posts