Gourlay

299 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gourlay

by genome » 28 Feb 2018 17:44

WAZZOCK
Old Man Andrews
WAZZOCK Moving onto Gourlay, I have it on very good authority that he has brought a poisonous atmosphere to the club from within. It’s also become very apparent that he has absolutely no idea how to run the football club, yet wants to have involvement in every aspect, no matter how big or small.

Cool. What good authority is this? What evidence do you have?

I used to work at the club myself and still keep in touch with a lot of current staff members. I don’t have physical evidence to bring to the table as it’s all anecdotal, but I (nor the people I speak to) have any reason to lie.

I’ll back Wazzock up here. I work with someone who is related to Nigel Howe’s PA, and was working with Gourlay during a short transitional period before she was made redundant. She said he was apparently “a bit difficult...”

Obviously this is hearsay though... I got some decent ITK from her during Howe’s time but was sworn to secrecy :oops:

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 28 Feb 2018 18:00

Ascotexgunner
cp I must admit I'm not any longer sure who is running the club that could have words with Stam, or change the manager. Stam himself is a powerful personality with his friend (Tevreden) as the Director of Football. What is Gourlay's background / alliances and is he the one who makes changes?

It looks like the owners are completely reliant on the football experts for advice and will do nothing much by themselves.

Well, he has 25 plus years experience in football and occupied "senior positions" at Man U and Chelsea. Which means he probably knows f*ck all about running clubs that run on a tight budget, and has never actually be a outright CEO of a club. If Stam goes the "Big Ron" also has to go imo.

Just a snippet from a recent interview with him....There isn't enough egg on the planet for his face if you read the entire interview.

"And Gourlay is confident that we are well positioned for progress, with the club in very good hands. “I’ve had the absolute pleasure of working with a lot of top coaches, the likes of Jose Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti, Guus Hiddink, and Jaap has been very impressive in what I’ve seen. I’m sure he will do great things for the football club.

“In Mr Dai, the club is very safe hands. He has bought into the manager’s footballing philosophy and you can see that philosophy being rolled out right down to the seven-year-olds through up to the first team.

“And me, I’ve never been a CEO in the Championship before, but I understand what it means to a club to be part of the Premier League and to stay there. And I think that experience is going to be very important to this club going forward.

“Because the long-term goal is not just getting to the Premier League, but sustaining that. And while we are very realistic and understand that that doesn’t happen within one or two years, you’ve got to shoot for the stars.”"

It’s an interesting route to the PL that - via League 1!!

If there is still any shred of a plan left pls show it to the fans.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Feb 2018 18:25

leon High press, rough us up, hit on the break, down the channels and plenty of high balls into the box.

Doesn't sound as if you've been watching football very long. Teams play to their strengths. RFC currently have none. There's no discernible pattern of play.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Feb 2018 18:31

Lower West
leon High press, rough us up, hit on the break, down the channels and plenty of high balls into the box.

Doesn't sound as if you've been watching football very long. Teams play to their strengths. RFC currently have none. There's no discernible pattern of play.

Not sure you’ve understood my post at all.

But thanks for the response.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Feb 2018 19:12

I cannot believe I woke up to Stam
still being here, Jesus Christ. The Venkys are in charge. They literally do not care if we are relegated, they probably haven’t even checked the league table. Gourlay too busy driving his Lamborghini Aventador around soho to notice the performances, it’s all part of the 3 year plan :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Feb 2018 19:23

genome
WAZZOCK
Old Man Andrews
Cool. What good authority is this? What evidence do you have?

I used to work at the club myself and still keep in touch with a lot of current staff members. I don’t have physical evidence to bring to the table as it’s all anecdotal, but I (nor the people I speak to) have any reason to lie.

I’ll back Wazzock up here. I work with someone who is related to Nigel Howe’s PA, and was working with Gourlay during a short transitional period before she was made redundant. She said he was apparently “a bit difficult...”

Obviously this is hearsay though... I got some decent ITK from her during Howe’s time but was sworn to secrecy :oops:

Yeah I'm sure it's true just wondered what the connection was.

He does strike me as a bit of an arse.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 Feb 2018 20:19

FiNeRaIn I cannot believe I woke up to Stam still being here, Jesus Christ.

Well, I believed he'd still be here. Oh, and I absolutely believed I'd wake up to you repeatedly biatching about it. :wink:

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 28 Feb 2018 20:52

Denver Royal
FiNeRaIn I cannot believe I woke up to Stam still being here, Jesus Christ.

Well, I believed he'd still be here. Oh, and I absolutely believed I'd wake up to you repeatedly biatching about it. :wink:

It’s actually one of those nightmares where you are trying to wake up and do something but can’t.

But the alarm will sound soon :|

Old Boy Blue

by Old Boy Blue » 01 Mar 2018 12:32

Just what is going on at Reading Football Club? Absolutely unbelievable that Stam's tenure is being allowed to drift on and on.
Are the owners so remote from the situation that they just do not realise what is going on? If yet another home defeat didn't start enough alarm bells a 6000 attendance despite the weather must surely have sparked a reaction.
The support is now so alianated from the Club, Stam and this bunch of characterless players that i fear many have departed possibly to never return again. It can become a habit not to go to the games as it is to go.
Stam is the biggest current problem though there are a lot of doubts about Gourlay and Teverden. The football is terrible the results appalling and the Manager is a PR disaster. They can not genuinely think he can turn things around so there must be anothet reason for keeping him. Is it purely financial and they don't want to pay him off? If so that is very shortsighted as he is already causing a loss of supporters and relegation would be a financial disaster. Are they taking an almighty gamble that Stam will keep us up. Come on owners/Gourlay take action now as time is very quickly running out.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 01 Mar 2018 12:41

Old Boy Blue Just what is going on at Reading Football Club? Absolutely unbelievable that Stam's tenure is being allowed to drift on and on.
Are the owners so remote from the situation that they just do not realise what is going on? If yet another home defeat didn't start enough alarm bells a 6000 attendance despite the weather must surely have sparked a reaction.
The support is now so alianated from the Club, Stam and this bunch of characterless players that i fear many have departed possibly to never return again. It can become a habit not to go to the games as it is to go.
Stam is the biggest current problem though there are a lot of doubts about Gourlay and Teverden. The football is terrible the results appalling and the Manager is a PR disaster. They can not genuinely think he can turn things around so there must be anothet reason for keeping him. Is it purely financial and they don't want to pay him off? If so that is very shortsighted as he is already causing a loss of supporters and relegation would be a financial disaster. Are they taking an almighty gamble that Stam will keep us up. Come on owners/Gourlay take action now as time is very quickly running out.

Top post that.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 01 Mar 2018 13:37

Old Boy Blue Just what is going on at Reading Football Club? Absolutely unbelievable that Stam's tenure is being allowed to drift on and on.

Share your feelings - seems like the most patient club in the world ... not many clubs would stick with their manager for this winless streak and shower of sh:t passed up to the fans.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Mar 2018 13:44

Trying to think up some lyrics to "Gourlay's a jolly good fella" which don't include the word good.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 01 Mar 2018 14:08

Forbury Lion Trying to think up some lyrics to "Gourlay's a jolly good fella" which don't include the word good.

Fat

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Mar 2018 14:28

Awayawayaway
Forbury Lion Trying to think up some lyrics to "Gourlay's a jolly good fella" which don't include the word good.

Fat

Gourlays a fcuking crap wnaker

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 01 Mar 2018 14:35

leon
Awayawayaway

Fat

Gourlays a fcuking crap wnaker

Let's run with this option.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Mar 2018 15:19

Gourlay's a lying bastard, and so say all of us.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 01 Mar 2018 21:57

Surely the Mark McGhee song MK2?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Mar 2018 23:25

Awayawayaway The support is now so alianated from the Club, Stam and this bunch of characterless players that i fear many have departed possibly to never return again. It can become a habit not to go to the games as it is to go.

Decline of English football. Personally I don't think Reading are unique. I'd prefer to watch/be part of a local club that has soul. Part of the community where local people own and fund the club. Or the supporters themselves have a vested interest. Owners are interested in making money. No interest in what the club means to the fans. Who turn up whatever.

Even Swindon across the road. Are owned by a tax exile with interests in a lower league Irish side as well. There's no soul there either.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Mar 2018 02:45

Royalwaster

Seems like the most patient club in the world.

In the world? Break it down for me. You must know a lot more about all the teams in the world than I do. How are we, and I assume you mean under Stam, the most patient team in the whole wide world? In your workings, factor in where we were last season, where all the other teams were, where we had been the couple years prior, where we were when bottom half of 4th div, etc. And I'm not talking about how things 'seem' to you, because that might not be reality. Looking forward to it, thanks.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 02 Mar 2018 07:28

Jesus Christ, Denver must be fun at parties

299 posts