Gourlay

299 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Gourlay

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Sep 2018 13:09

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
John Smith Very disappointing response on here regarding last night. Would have expected a lot more members of the forum to have been present. Will have to take Tim Dellor and Anthony Smith's word for whatever was said.

I am disappointed with you not going. I wanted you to go and cause a massive scene. Scare all of those old codgers in STAR.

I know, I know. Work man. Horrible invention.

Does the Bush guy not post on here? He must have gone.

He is a known enemy of HNA. Thinks we are odd.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Sep 2018 13:22

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Is the evidence that Clement sees Meite as a forward rather than a winger that he's played him on the wing about as much as he's played him upfront?

Yes..
I may have been mistaken looking back and including the pre season games... he did play upfront for most of the friendlies right? I'm not completely wrong am I?

In fairness, you're right that he played upfront all pre-season. Although pre-season is not really something to make strong judgements on, especially seeing as for much of it our only available strikers were him and Smith, Loader and House.

I know this really isn't the thread to discuss this on but it is interesting, to me at least, that he chose to play Meite out of position for preseason. Wouldn't it have been better to play Smith (as the club seemed to have the intention of bringing in new strikers all summer) and play Meite on the wing if that's where he saw his future being?

I understand the argument that Smith was going to be loaned out so why play him but it strikes me as odd that it was preferable to do that then ensure your winger was getting used to his positioning for the coming season.

I guess that's why I assumed Meite was considered a striker by Clement. Obviously he's a top class coach so knows more about pre season and training then I ever will but I don't get the logic.

Anyway I accept I was wrong. We started the season with 4 wingers, 1 due back shortly after the season began and we loaned 1 in following the injuries. I still would have preferred us to target getting a new winger in over 2 strikers.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Sep 2018 14:05

So lots of sponsorship lined up for 2019. Can't do anything at the moment as Carabao have restrictions on other things, including a veto on stadium naming. Interesting.. Thais stiffed us there then?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Sep 2018 14:15

maffff So lots of sponsorship lined up for 2019. Can't do anything at the moment as Carabao have restrictions on other things, including a veto on stadium naming. Interesting.. Thais stiffed us there then?

Interesting that they are also advertising a sponsorship job right now...
Did they sack the person who locked us into that contract?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Sep 2018 14:17

maffff So lots of sponsorship lined up for 2019. Can't do anything at the moment as Carabao have restrictions on other things, including a veto on stadium naming. Interesting.. Thais stiffed us there then?

Is that true? Never heard of that before....I wondered if Carabao was a Gourley link seeing as they sponsor the Chelsea training kit.
The stadium seems so devoid of adverts at the minute compared to how it was and no advertising on the back of the shirt seemed very odd.
Waitrose still had seats at the ground but I think they have gone now as well.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Sep 2018 14:22

Old Man Andrews
John Smith

Pot kettle

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Sep 2018 14:29

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
John Smith

Pot kettle

We are a little odd to be fair..

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Sep 2018 14:36

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
Old Man Andrews

Pot kettle

Don't you tar me with your odd brush. I am extremely normal.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 07 Sep 2018 14:49

Ascotexgunner
Old Man Andrews They will just kiss his backside. They can't go for him because he will just start banning the press from matches and press conferences, the bloke is a oxf*rd worm.

Have to say there was nothing new. They did it in parts. It was all done nicely nicely.
He basically sounded like a CEO which is that although everything is sh*t, hes saying its all ok and
cushioning any problems and making the world sound rosey......and its not good at the moment.....You know usual BS employers say to employees and shareholders at an AGM.

Couple of things came up.
Clements job is safe (and I think he meant that), and he completely went against Clements comments that we had too many players.
He did admit a couple of players should have gone on loan (so why didn't they bozo!!!) but its too late now.

First I am not a fan of Gourlay, and I agree that he seems to be very much part of the problem. I dont intend to be a apologist for the club but did you really listen to the interview?

He sounded like a CEO because he is effectively the CEO. He didn't say "its all ok" , he specifically said everyone at the club (players , manager , staff and owners) were all disappointed with the start to the season. He didn't disagree with Clements comments about the squad size but he explained that a number of the players who they wanted to get out on loan had picked up injuries meaning there was no way they would be taken on by another club, a point agreed with by Addie Williams in the subsequent studio discussion. He also said that they would continue to try and offload those players in January. What he did say about squad size was that we currently have 7 injured players ( I would have liked someone to ask whether that pointed to deficiencies in the training/conditioning/medical area) and that at the moment the fit squad size provided competition.

I agree that he indicated Clements job was safe rightly so at the moment in my opinion (although it was a monosyllabic endorsement).

As I say I am not a Gourlay fan but if you are going to criticise him at least don't put words into his mouth.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Sep 2018 14:55

I think the injury theory is a bit of a myth ... other clubs have horendous injury lists and it's not down to any particular reason, just bad luck. I really don't think that in this day and age, it's anything other than that. So asking the question might make you look like a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 07 Sep 2018 15:02

Royalwaster I think the injury theory is a bit of a myth ... other clubs have horendous injury lists and it's not down to any particular reason, just bad luck. I really don't think that in this day and age, it's anything other than that. So asking the question might make you look like a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

You may well be right, but we do seem (and I haven't got any figures to back me up) both this season and last to be suffering from a high number of injuries. The major success of the 2005/6 team ( i know a long time ago) was the ability to play the same core players week in week out. However that was a minor point in my post, the main thing was that it was injuries that was preventing more players being loaned out.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Sep 2018 15:03

Gourley was gong on about the new training ground being nearly ready sometime last year, seems to be on the back burner again.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Sep 2018 15:19

Nomad_Royal
Ascotexgunner
Old Man Andrews They will just kiss his backside. They can't go for him because he will just start banning the press from matches and press conferences, the bloke is a oxf*rd worm.

Have to say there was nothing new. They did it in parts. It was all done nicely nicely.
He basically sounded like a CEO which is that although everything is sh*t, hes saying its all ok and
cushioning any problems and making the world sound rosey......and its not good at the moment.....You know usual BS employers say to employees and shareholders at an AGM.

Couple of things came up.
Clements job is safe (and I think he meant that), and he completely went against Clements comments that we had too many players.
He did admit a couple of players should have gone on loan (so why didn't they bozo!!!) but its too late now.

First I am not a fan of Gourlay, and I agree that he seems to be very much part of the problem. I dont intend to be a apologist for the club but did you really listen to the interview?

He sounded like a CEO because he is effectively the CEO. He didn't say "its all ok" , he specifically said everyone at the club (players , manager , staff and owners) were all disappointed with the start to the season. He didn't disagree with Clements comments about the squad size but he explained that a number of the players who they wanted to get out on loan had picked up injuries meaning there was no way they would be taken on by another club, a point agreed with by Addie Williams in the subsequent studio discussion. He also said that they would continue to try and offload those players in January. What he did say about squad size was that we currently have 7 injured players ( I would have liked someone to ask whether that pointed to deficiencies in the training/conditioning/medical area) and that at the moment the fit squad size provided competition.

I agree that he indicated Clements job was safe rightly so at the moment in my opinion (although it was a monosyllabic endorsement).

As I say I am not a Gourlay fan but if you are going to criticise him at least don't put words into his mouth.

In that interview he projected NO urgency at all in the clubs situation. There were no answers/plans...nothing......If I wasn't a fan and hadn't seen where we were in the table and listened to his tone and words he used you wouldn't realise things were as bad as they are.
The "OK" I used was in relation to the tone and his words....Not once listening to him did I hear urgency. It was all so "Nice" and "Casual"...

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Sep 2018 15:27

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
I am disappointed with you not going. I wanted you to go and cause a massive scene. Scare all of those old codgers in STAR.

Bushwatch started on here, long before # were a thing. He was then poached by twitter for an undisclosed fee once he gained national notoriety.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Sep 2018 15:28

Forbury Lion
John Smith
Old Man Andrews

Bushwatch started on here, long before # were a thing. He was then poached by twitter for an undisclosed fee once he gained national notoriety.

Makes it even worse if he has turned his back on HNA, he is always slagging it off.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Sep 2018 15:36

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
John Smith Pot kettle

Which therefore defines you as "odd" on here

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Sep 2018 16:19

Uke
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth We are a little odd to be fair..

Which therefore defines you as "odd" on here

Boom.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Sep 2018 16:22

Old Man Andrews
Forbury Lion
John Smith I know, I know. Work man. Horrible invention.

Makes it even worse if he has turned his back on HNA, he is always slagging it off.

It amazes me that people who discuss football on Twitter can slag off people who discuss football on a dedicated football forum..
Airing your idiotic opinion publicly isn't better than doing so (relatively) privately.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Sep 2018 18:31

Wonder if they’ve also got a veto on the club being able to entertain and/or win games

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 07 Sep 2018 18:55

Just heard his interview on BBC RB and nothing in it convinced me that he's up to the job. Just a load of meaningless platitudes and clichés - "we are where we are" being the pick of them. Interestingly though, when Tim Dellor did ask him about Clement's position, he went very quiet, quite literally could bearly hear his response when asked if the Manager's job was safe.

299 posts