New

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New

by bcubed » 09 Mar 2018 11:09

Sutekh Reading seem to be completely stuck in transition . Have been for 4/5 years having first been flogged to a Russian with no money and then being sold to Thais with a fetish for converting car parks into real estate who then sold to a Chinese brother and sister.

The Chinese pair do appear to have money and do run a club in Belgium and another in China, all appear to be run in a very low profile and (apparent) hands off manner which seems to upset people here as the owners are rarely seen which gives rise to the standard conspiracy theorists and tales of asset stripping etc. However I think all that is cobblers given they've invested in a CEO ex of Chelsea and ManU to run the club on a daily basis, are putting money into the Class 1 Academy redevelopment at Hogwood Park and have backed Jaap Stam in the transfer market as much as FFFP allows.

Playing wise it's currently awful. Don't expect entertainment (from Reading) unless you enjoy comedy defending and an inability to create anything of any note despite a talented squad. But then you get periods like this at any club and it just so happens it's Reading's turn again.

Jaap should have gone ages ago but the achievement last year has probably given him a good deal of stock with the board for this bad run. Sticking with him is commendable in this day and the board must see what he's trying to do as a long term plan for the club as a whole and if this season can be survived then everyone should be better for it.

At least the Leeds game will bring an atmosphere, though that will mostly be from the Leeds fans towards Jaap for his ManU connections.

Enjoy it, there is a good club in here somewhere but it's like having a dense cat when the door's ajar - it doesn't have the necessary brains to pull it open.

Good summary of last few years but nonetheless a depressing reminder that it's been five years since there was much to get excited about (a cup run and a short period of Steve Clarke's management aside)

To the OP, the advice here is good. Set expectations low, really low, drink some Good Old Boy outside the stands and look forward to next season, hopefully in this division.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Mar 2018 11:14

Dookie200 Hi,

I’m coming to my first Reading game Saturday, been to the stadium before but not for a league game.

I am a Leyton Orient fan.. or at least, I was a Leyton Orient fan. I’m sure many of you know what’s gone on with Orient the last few years, the club is not recognisable to me any more. To me, Orient is dead.. maybe not completely, but it is certainly not the same. I’ve had season tickets, I’ve followed up and down the country.. the results, the league position, all of that stuff is irrelevant. Everything that was good about the club to me has vanished, no matter how much the new owners try.

I haven’t had anywhere to watch football for a while now, I literally can’t bear going to orient games.

So Saturday, I will be venturing to my nearest club.. Reading.

Any recommendations of places around and about to get a pint before the game? Anything else I should know?

Cheers
You might find a similar story unfolding here at Reading, the club isn't recognisable to us anymore, everything that was good about the club to me has vanished and the new owners...... well, I'm not convinced they're even trying & some of us literally can't bear going to Reading games & can't even be bothered to protest because we know our voices won't be heard.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Mar 2018 11:18

bcubed drink some Good Old Boy outside the stands
I hope he knows what Good Old Boy is & doesn't think it's anythign to do with those with OAP concession tickets.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Mar 2018 11:26

Forbury Lion
I hope he knows what Good Old Boy is & doesn't think it's anythign to do with those with OAP concession tickets.

Either is preferable to watching the game

Dookie200

by Dookie200 » 09 Mar 2018 13:39

Thanks again for the replies, and thanks Sutekh for that info, very interesting. I guess people will always question the motives of foreign owners, and as you say when they are quiet you wonder what they are up to.

It’s certainly nice to see some positivity about Reading as a whole on here, despite the poor season so far.

I will post something on this thread after the game tomorrow, let you all know my thoughts!

Dookie200

by Dookie200 » 09 Mar 2018 14:23

Forbury Lion
Dookie200 Hi,

I’m coming to my first Reading game Saturday, been to the stadium before but not for a league game.

I am a Leyton Orient fan.. or at least, I was a Leyton Orient fan. I’m sure many of you know what’s gone on with Orient the last few years, the club is not recognisable to me any more. To me, Orient is dead.. maybe not completely, but it is certainly not the same. I’ve had season tickets, I’ve followed up and down the country.. the results, the league position, all of that stuff is irrelevant. Everything that was good about the club to me has vanished, no matter how much the new owners try.

I haven’t had anywhere to watch football for a while now, I literally can’t bear going to orient games.

So Saturday, I will be venturing to my nearest club.. Reading.

Any recommendations of places around and about to get a pint before the game? Anything else I should know?

Cheers
You might find a similar story unfolding here at Reading, the club isn't recognisable to us anymore, everything that was good about the club to me has vanished and the new owners...... well, I'm not convinced they're even trying & some of us literally can't bear going to Reading games & can't even be bothered to protest because we know our voices won't be heard.

Does sound quite familiar. Believe me, I know how you feel. I hope things don’t get so bad for any of you that you fall out of love with the club.. it’s heart breaking. Thinking of all the time, effort, money you’ve put in over the years.. guess it’s like an unsuccessful marriage!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Mar 2018 14:26

Dookie200 Thanks again for the replies, and thanks Sutekh for that info, very interesting. I guess people will always question the motives of foreign owners, and as you say when they are quiet you wonder what they are up to.

It’s certainly nice to see some positivity about Reading as a whole on here, despite the poor season so far.

I will post something on this thread after the game tomorrow, let you all know my thoughts!

You're making the wrong choice. Not just to come and watch Reading but to jump ship. Stick with Orient - if you stay up this season you will do very well next. Macca Bonne is the best striker in the league. Keep the faith you old sod.

massifheed

by massifheed » 09 Mar 2018 14:41

Forbury Lion

All part of the initiation for new supporters. Well, that's what they told me anyway.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Mar 2018 15:01

Dookie200 Thanks again for the replies, and thanks Sutekh for that info, very interesting. I guess people will always question the motives of foreign owners, and as you say when they are quiet you wonder what they are up to.

Despite the whinges, its a pretty nice and decent club. The football on offer is currently pretty awful, but its a friendly-ish - non threatening crowd, ticket prices are low, the stadium is a bit lacking in atmosphere but its clean and comfortable.

And I suppose it was only a couple of weeks back there was a very entertaining 3-3 with Derby. Could get lucky and get a repeat.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Mar 2018 15:09

Hound

And I suppose it was only a couple of weeks back there was a very entertaining 3-3 with Derby. Could get lucky and get a repeat.

I hope I am wrong but I fear we used up this seasons entertainment quota in that game.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Mar 2018 15:13

Lucky there's no such thing really

Dookie, if you can cope with reading all the toss posted on here I'm sure you can manage a couple of hours at the Madejski on Saturday

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 09 Mar 2018 15:25

Welcome. I'm lifelong Reading but as a student lived on the Ocean Estate in Stepney Green, so used to wander down and watch the Os of a Saturday. One vivid memory was seeing Cloughie, in that familiar green top, when Orient hosted Forest in FA Cup. 0-2 I vaguely recall. Bit pissed. Also watched a few league games. Not very good football, but I'm a simple bloke and a pint, a kebab and a game's always been a good Saturday. I grew up watching Reading in the 70s, which was not very good either.

Lot's of people on here seem to think we have a right to be a top 20-30 club. We don't if you take the long view. I get why everyone's pissed off, but...

...it's football, innit. Sometimes your club's up, some times it's down. Right now, we're down. But who knows..survive, have a good summer of transfers and pre-season, and we'll all be in Jaap Wonderland.

Or not.

Have a pint, have a kebab, enjoy.

Dookie200

by Dookie200 » 09 Mar 2018 16:04

John Smith

You're making the wrong choice. Not just to come and watch Reading but to jump ship. Stick with Orient - if you stay up this season you will do very well next. Macca Bonne is the best striker in the league. Keep the faith you old sod.

It is an odd one for me, and it may seem like jumping ship but I don’t see it that way. I guess it’s hard to explain, but in my mind Leyton Orient died.. what remains may as well have been a Phoenix club. After a couple of years of trying to stay involved, trying to support.. it’s hard, as that club doesn’t feel like my club.

This isn’t a split second decision re orient.. the feelings have gone over time.. sad but true!

Dookie200

by Dookie200 » 09 Mar 2018 16:06

Tommy Youlden's Ears Welcome. I'm lifelong Reading but as a student lived on the Ocean Estate in Stepney Green, so used to wander down and watch the Os of a Saturday. One vivid memory was seeing Cloughie, in that familiar green top, when Orient hosted Forest in FA Cup. 0-2 I vaguely recall. Bit pissed. Also watched a few league games. Not very good football, but I'm a simple bloke and a pint, a kebab and a game's always been a good Saturday. I grew up watching Reading in the 70s, which was not very good either.

Lot's of people on here seem to think we have a right to be a top 20-30 club. We don't if you take the long view. I get why everyone's pissed off, but...

...it's football, innit. Sometimes your club's up, some times it's down. Right now, we're down. But who knows..survive, have a good summer of transfers and pre-season, and we'll all be in Jaap Wonderland.

Or not.

Have a pint, have a kebab, enjoy.

Funny you saying Reading fans feel like they have a right to be a top 20-30 club.. Orient fans (the older ones) seem to feel they have a right to be a championship club, all because we were 40 years ago. Imagine the resentment! That, in my mind, is part of the problem!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Mar 2018 16:16

Tommy Youlden's Ears survive, have a good summer of transfers and pre-season, and we'll all be in Jaap Wonderland.

Will we fcuk. We could be top half of the prem and challenging for Europe I'd still want him out.

Dookie200

by Dookie200 » 10 Mar 2018 17:55

Well, overall an enjoyable day out.

Started off in O’Neills to watch the first half of the Man U v Liverpool game, wandered from there to the station to catch the bus over.

Everything from there on showed what a slick operation everything is at Reading. Not sure if you all feel the same, but everything was incredibly straight forward, from the bus journey to picking up my member card.. everything.

Once I got my member card I wandered round and went to the jazz cafe, had another pint, then in to the ground. Good selection of beers in the concourse too.. unusual to see Guinness at a football ground. Like the way you can access the fan park bit and the jazz cafe at half time.. all a bonus.

Game was enjoyable to watch, though I feel if Barrow had put his chance away at 1-0 it probably would have killed the game off. Shame after such a good first half to finish with a draw.

Just as easy getting away as getting there, and already nearly home.

After all that, shame I didn’t bring a little good as 3 points would have been massive, and though considering other results, seems like a good point.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 12 Mar 2018 14:16

Dookie200 Well, overall an enjoyable day out.

Started off in O’Neills to watch the first half of the Man U v Liverpool game, wandered from there to the station to catch the bus over.

Everything from there on showed what a slick operation everything is at Reading. Not sure if you all feel the same, but everything was incredibly straight forward, from the bus journey to picking up my member card.. everything.

Once I got my member card I wandered round and went to the jazz cafe, had another pint, then in to the ground. Good selection of beers in the concourse too.. unusual to see Guinness at a football ground. Like the way you can access the fan park bit and the jazz cafe at half time.. all a bonus.

Game was enjoyable to watch, though I feel if Barrow had put his chance away at 1-0 it probably would have killed the game off. Shame after such a good first half to finish with a draw.

Just as easy getting away as getting there, and already nearly home.

After all that, shame I didn’t bring a little good as 3 points would have been massive, and though considering other results, seems like a good point.

Glad you enjoyed it Dookie
The missing word is luck. Is that significant?!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2018 14:25

Dookie200 Everything from there on showed what a slick operation everything is at Reading. Not sure if you all feel the same, but everything was incredibly straight forward, from the bus journey to picking up my member card.. everything.

I agree. If you're an away fan arriving by train or just start off drinking in town then I think it's a great day out and I don't know why everyone moans.

You did the day right by watching the early game and getting down to the bars early. I often like to go to the hotel bar after a win and wait for the crowds to die down then head back to bars in town.

Very pissy

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Mar 2018 15:21

Dookie200 Well, overall an enjoyable day out. Game was enjoyable to watch, though I feel if Barrow had put his chance away at 1-0 it probably would have killed the game off. Shame after such a good first half to finish with a draw.

Heh, not sure if it would have killed the game off :wink: But, I was confident Barrow would score there. Seemed like a tame shot, but maybe he was going more for placement.

I think we missed a trick when Leeds opted to start the youngster in goal, Peacock-Farrell, who is their U23 keeper and 3rd choice. My mate is a Leeds fan and he said their fans have been crying out for this lad in goal, and he said, straight up, he has little doubt Reading would gave won if Felix Wiedwald had started in goal instead.

Anyway, happy to hear you enjoyed it! :wink:

Dookie200

by Dookie200 » 12 Mar 2018 22:00

Denver Royal
Dookie200 Well, overall an enjoyable day out. Game was enjoyable to watch, though I feel if Barrow had put his chance away at 1-0 it probably would have killed the game off. Shame after such a good first half to finish with a draw.

Heh, not sure if it would have killed the game off :wink: But, I was confident Barrow would score there. Seemed like a tame shot, but maybe he was going more for placement.

I think we missed a trick when Leeds opted to start the youngster in goal, Peacock-Farrell, who is their U23 keeper and 3rd choice. My mate is a Leeds fan and he said their fans have been crying out for this lad in goal, and he said, straight up, he has little doubt Reading would gave won if Felix Wiedwald had started in goal instead.

Anyway, happy to hear you enjoyed it! :wink:

I suppose without scoring you can’t win in that situation.. tame shot, blaze it over the bar.. either way people will think you should have scored!

Anyway, bought tickets for the QPR and Preston games, looking forward to them! Thanks again all for being so welcoming, you’ve got a decent club here!