MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h) sponsored by the curse of Saturday

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h) sponsored by the curse of Saturday

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Apr 2018 21:25

Lower West
Old Man Andrews Only negative to come from today is the club and a small, minute section of supporters attempting to manufacture an atmosphere. It's completely ridiculous and I was a bit embarrased for them.

Leave the stadium alone. It's completely fake and forced to have this sort of thing happening.

Was noticable today that when the team flagged with 10 minutes or so to go. That the crowd sensed this. Playing their part in helping the players see the game out. Anything that gives us an edge at home must be used. Little point in becoming another prawn sandwich club where there's little atmosphere.

We already are that.

From the photos I've seen the people in that small group are the usual suspects who are in it to look like "super fans" to the club and players. It's all the social media attention seekers who are just in this for themselves.

Artificial atmosphere creators are what we need?? Terrible.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 21:45

I thought it was fine, looked a little odd but anything they want to do to get behind the team is up to them.

I get more embarrassed by people going out of their way to criticise something that has no effect on them whatsoever...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Apr 2018 21:56

genome I thought it was fine, looked a little odd but anything they want to do to get behind the team is up to them.

I get more embarrassed by people going out of their way to criticise something that has no effect on them whatsoever...

Yes it does have an effect, how could it not? What if the singing section is brought in on a grand scale and it is decided by the club that it will be put exactly where I sit? That affects me and the many others who don't enjoy people with megaphones next to them.

It was always a safe bet you'd chirp up considering who was in the group in the South Stand though eh?

double d

by double d » 07 Apr 2018 21:59

genome I thought it was fine, looked a little odd but anything they want to do to get behind the team is up to them.

As always, I agree with you bro!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Apr 2018 22:00

Old Man Andrews

Yes it does have an effect, how could it not? What if the singing section is brought in on a grand scale and it is decided by the club that it will be put exactly where I sit? That affects me and the many others who don't enjoy people with megaphones next to them.

It was always a safe bet you'd chirp up considering who was in the group in the South Stand though eh?

If you don't like loud noises and a boisterous crowd, a football stadium is probably a poor choice when picking where to spend your Saturday.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 22:01

Old Man Andrews It was always a safe bet you'd chirp up considering who was in the group in the South Stand though eh?

Er, who?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 22:02

tidus_mi2
Old Man Andrews

If you don't like loud noises and a boisterous crowd, a football stadium is probably a poor choice when picking where to spend your Saturday.

Indeed... :|

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Apr 2018 22:04

tidus_mi2
Old Man Andrews

Nobody said anything about singing or making noise. That's all well and good. I am talking about the possibility of a designated section being moved to where I sit. I wouldn't want to be in that, that's not how I enjoy watching football. People enjoy the games in different ways so I sit where I do to reflect that. Y24, Y25, Y26 is your place for singing etc and that's fine, good luck to them.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Apr 2018 22:05

genome
Old Man Andrews It was always a safe bet you'd chirp up considering who was in the group in the South Stand though eh?

Er, who?

I'm not giving away your identity on here, that's not cool and not needed.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 22:08

Old Man Andrews
genome

Er, who?

Feel free to PM me who you think I am then

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Apr 2018 22:14

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome
Er, who?

Not necessary, mainly because if im wrong I will be annoyed that I am wrong. Let's just say I'm fairly sure you know people in that South Stand today. Which is fine by the way. I just take exception to the fact some people might not be in favour of it. To me having 50 people in the South Stand, one with a megaphone, is embarrassing.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Apr 2018 22:14

I have been drinking.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 22:17

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews

Not necessary, mainly because if im wrong I will be annoyed that I am wrong. Let's just say I'm fairly sure you know people in that South Stand today. Which is fine by the way. I just take exception to the fact some people might not be in favour of it. To me having 50 people in the South Stand, one with a megaphone, is embarrassing.

I don't know any of them in real life. I recognise some of them from Twitter (the Bushwatch chap, for example), but that's it.

double d

by double d » 07 Apr 2018 22:31

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome

I don't know any of them in real life. I recognise some of them from Twitter (the Bushwatch chap, for example), but that's it.

Jesus Christ you two need a day off from here.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 08 Apr 2018 06:34

Old Man Andrews
tidus_mi2
Old Man Andrews

Nobody said anything about singing or making noise. That's all well and good. I am talking about the possibility of a designated section being moved to where I sit. I wouldn't want to be in that, that's not how I enjoy watching football. People enjoy the games in different ways so I sit where I do to reflect that. Y24, Y25, Y26 is your place for singing etc and that's fine, good luck to them.

:lol: I'm sure all those ST holders affected by the decision were duly compensated....

:lol:

Nice to see some experimentation - just needs more interest for the group to hit some sort of critical mass. The Reading Ultras section made me laugh at the start of the game, but it was noticeable that it led some chants, especially toward the game. Never know, may even provoke the West Stand to join in some chants later down the line. :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Apr 2018 09:19

tidus_mi2
Old Man Andrews

Understandable mistake to make though this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2018 11:34

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Hound
Does make you wonder quite what happened to him under Stam - fell to pieces

Think there is a very good player in there.

Perhaps it took some proper game time? Get used to being with Moore, build a connection. I notice him and Moore gave each other a little cuddle just before kick off to psych themselves up.

It could be Clement is reaping the rewards of the work put into their partnership under Stam?

My theory is that defending requires superb focus. If as a central defender, when your team is in possession you are one of the players most involved and needing to concentrate to keep passing the ball back and forth looking for ways forward, it is mentally draining and you never get any downtime because as soon as there's a turnover in possession you're then completely focused on defending.

On top of that, if you're in possession a lot, you are moving around trying to find a bit of space and carry the ball. This means the whole defence is not maintaining a coherent shape. So when we do lose the ball, they're off balance.

Basically, don't ask your centrebacks to split and be your playmakers. Ask them to stay tight and get rid of the ball quickly and efficiently, and relax between periods of defending.

Decent post Ian and you’re prob right largely

Just stumbled across the Liam Moore interview on GetReading and it alludes very much to that - basically concentrating on doing his own job and keeping clean sheets.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2018 14:24

Hound
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Perhaps it took some proper game time? Get used to being with Moore, build a connection. I notice him and Moore gave each other a little cuddle just before kick off to psych themselves up.

It could be Clement is reaping the rewards of the work put into their partnership under Stam?

My theory is that defending requires superb focus. If as a central defender, when your team is in possession you are one of the players most involved and needing to concentrate to keep passing the ball back and forth looking for ways forward, it is mentally draining and you never get any downtime because as soon as there's a turnover in possession you're then completely focused on defending.

On top of that, if you're in possession a lot, you are moving around trying to find a bit of space and carry the ball. This means the whole defence is not maintaining a coherent shape. So when we do lose the ball, they're off balance.

Basically, don't ask your centrebacks to split and be your playmakers. Ask them to stay tight and get rid of the ball quickly and efficiently, and relax between periods of defending.

Decent post Ian and you’re prob right largely

Just stumbled across the Liam Moore interview on GetReading and it alludes very much to that - basically concentrating on doing his own job and keeping clean sheets.

Just saw that too. I liked the way he tried to avoid explicit or veiled criticism of Stam. Easy to just blame the previous manager, but they obviously liked him and it's not completely fair, or professional, to do so.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2018 14:35

In the long run, it might even make them better players to have played with so much possession, and to be tasked with starting attacks. Just not in our current situation

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 08 Apr 2018 15:21

Clement as much as admitted that his next task is to sort out the positions in front of the defence to take some of the pressure off the centre backs. If he can perform another Ilori like miracle on Evans he may find one answer