Smallest Attack in Champ

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Smallest Attack in Champ

by paddy20 » 31 Jul 2018 16:57

genome So what you're saying is, apart from our tall strikers, we have a really short strikeforce. Gotcha.

If you consider Bod and Meite championship strikers then I would agree. But if we are serious about doing something and not get relegated as we nearly did last season then we will most likely play with McNulty and Baldock up front

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 31 Jul 2018 17:03

Platypuss Meite - 6'1"
Bod - 6'2"

I would have said you're better than this, but I've read your other posts.

Thanks Platypus. I posted what I thought would be our most likely attack. If I'm right we will have to play tactics that suit smaller strikers. Thats all. Whilst Bod is a 100% player If we are trying to build a championship side capable of pushing for the top he's at best a sub.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 17:05

paddy20
genome So what you're saying is, apart from our tall strikers, we have a really short strikeforce. Gotcha.

If you consider Bod and Meite championship strikers then I would agree. But if we are serious about doing something and not get relegated as we nearly did last season then we will most likely play with McNulty and Baldock up front

oxf*rd hell.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 31 Jul 2018 17:07

Old Man Andrews
paddy20 M Macnulty - 5'10"
M Barrow - 5'9"
S Aluko - 5'8"
S Baldock - 5'7"

Bodvarsson is tiny eh?

Do you really want him leading our attack. Didn't we try that last season??

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 31 Jul 2018 17:14

Good post, I like it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2018 17:19

paddy20
Old Man Andrews
M Barrow - 5'9"
S Aluko - 5'8"
S Baldock - 5'7"

Bodvarsson is tiny eh?

No we massively underplayed him for Kermorgant and others who did far less.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 17:29

paddy20
Old Man Andrews
M Barrow - 5'9"
S Aluko - 5'8"
S Baldock - 5'7"

Bodvarsson is tiny eh?

Are you disabled???

You were pointing out how small out attacking players are without mentioning two attackers who are well over 6 feet in height. How good or bad they are is besides the point, they aren't small are they???
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 31 Jul 2018 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 31 Jul 2018 17:33

I've nothing to add to this other than a midget tribute to the A-team

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 17:40

What next? We’ve the tallest keeper in the championship. Except we haven’t because Mannone is in goal but I don’t think he should be?

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 31 Jul 2018 18:08

John Smith
RoyalJones Would still like to see another target man come in regardless but that won't happen now, think Meite should be put on the wing and Bodvarsson therefore would be our only target man striker (I think?) with Kermorgant terminating his contract, could do with another one especially if we are playing one up top.

Wow. I've seen some things on this forum but a target man on the wing is really up there.
What the oxf*rd are you on about?!

From seeing him on Saturday whenever he was given the ball (rarely), he struggled to hold it up and brings others in to play. Maybe I need to see more performances from him to make a judgement on which position is best for him.

Delboy

by Delboy » 31 Jul 2018 18:32

Cureton
Lita
Le Fondre
All short and legends !

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 31 Jul 2018 19:39

Sutekh
John Smith
RoyalJones Would still like to see another target man come in regardless but that won't happen now, think Meite should be put on the wing and Bodvarsson therefore would be our only target man striker (I think?) with Kermorgant terminating his contract, could do with another one especially if we are playing one up top.

Wow. I've seen some things on this forum but a target man on the wing is really up there.

Does anyone remember Ian Ormandroyd - seem to recall he was about 6 foot 6 and mainly used as a target man for Bradford but can remember one or two games where he was out in the wing for them and was heading crosses into the box for others to get on the end of.

As to Meite, he’s been one of the few players who have done really well in preseason. He’s got tricks, a small amount of pace and has just a little presence about him. If he can build on his match experience and the club can figure out the best way to use that then we could have a real match winner.

Well I only saw him against Palace and to say he was useless would be giving him credit.
He couldn't hold the ball up, couldn't run with it or run onto it. Despite his frame, he had no physical presence whatsoever.

I take it he did OK against the likes of Wimbledon and Eastleigh :shock: (Just maybe thats his level)

Lydia Dustbin

by Lydia Dustbin » 31 Jul 2018 19:50

Delboy Cureton
Lita
Le Fondre
All short and legends !

Lickerish allshorts

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jul 2018 19:59

stealthpapes I've nothing to add to this other than a midget tribute to the A-team

Valid.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jul 2018 19:59

Royality creeps In
Sutekh
John Smith Wow. I've seen some things on this forum but a target man on the wing is really up there.

Does anyone remember Ian Ormandroyd - seem to recall he was about 6 foot 6 and mainly used as a target man for Bradford but can remember one or two games where he was out in the wing for them and was heading crosses into the box for others to get on the end of.

As to Meite, he’s been one of the few players who have done really well in preseason. He’s got tricks, a small amount of pace and has just a little presence about him. If he can build on his match experience and the club can figure out the best way to use that then we could have a real match winner.

Well I only saw him against Palace and to say he was useless would be giving him credit.
He couldn't hold the ball up, couldn't run with it or run onto it. Despite his frame, he had no physical presence whatsoever.

I take it he did OK against the likes of Wimbledon and Eastleigh :shock: (Just maybe thats his level)

The club have been really bugging up Meite

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 01 Aug 2018 08:30

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Aug 2018 10:11

NewCorkSeth Brentford. Literally the first club I looked up. All the forwards who's height I could find.

Neal Maupay 5ft7
Ollie Watkins 5ft 11
Justin Shaibu 5ft 11
Sergio Canos 5ft9
Said Benrahma 5ft8

Is this our worst thread of the season?

A good example of a quick-passing side dedicated to attacking football.
If Clement does play our two little 'uns up front together (which I doubt) I hope that we might then play the sort of football that Brentford fans have been enjoying in recent times.

Crotts

by Crotts » 01 Aug 2018 12:23

We have signed two similar style small strikers in Baldock and McNulty whereas we need a tall strong central striker who can win the ball in the air, hold it up for other players to join in, and who can also score with his head when challenged by a tall centre back.

Yes Bodvarsson is tall but anyone who understands the strengths and weaknesses of players they watch would realise that Bodvarsson is not a centre forward. His best position is as a right wing support striker. As for Meite. After the first few games Meite will not even be anywhere near the bench let alone start a match, so including him in discussions about whether we have aerieal strength up front is about as much use as discussing whether we should sign Richard Osman from Pointless.

The two strikers we have signed are Le Fondre style goal poachers, but we currently create very few of the kind of opportunities to score goals that these kind of strikers need. We have had two similar style poachers on loan in recent years in Vydra and Grabban who only managed 17 goals in 91 appearances for us. However when playing for other clubs (that create poacher type six yard box chances) last year they are the top scoring strikers in the championship !!

We need a striker not in the mould of Le Fondre, Lovell or Cureton but more like a Jimmy Quinn, Trevor Senior, Kerry Dixon, Jason Roberts.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Aug 2018 12:28

Crotts Yes Bodvarsson is tall but anyone who understands the strengths and weaknesses of players they watch would realise that Bodvarsson is not a centre forward.

Yes he is.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Aug 2018 12:46

Crotts The two strikers we have signed are Le Fondre style goal poachers, but we currently create very few of the kind of opportunities to score goals that these kind of strikers need.

So have you done any research into our new strikers? If you had you'd find that McNulty is more in the mould of Nicky Forster than Alfie as he does a lot off the ball, works hard for the team and has a bit of pace. A quick visit to a Cov forum will tell you all you need know.