Smallest Attack in Champ

Crotts

Re: Smallest Attack in Champ

by Crotts » 01 Aug 2018 12:47

Old Man Andrews
Crotts Yes Bodvarsson is tall but anyone who understands the strengths and weaknesses of players they watch would realise that Bodvarsson is not a centre forward.

Yes he is.

We will have to differ in our opinions.

For the record I think that Bodvarsson is a reasonable championship standard player and if I was manager with the current squad I would start on him on the right wing.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Aug 2018 12:51

Crotts
Old Man Andrews
Crotts Yes Bodvarsson is tall but anyone who understands the strengths and weaknesses of players they watch would realise that Bodvarsson is not a centre forward.

Yes he is.

For the record I think that Bodvarsson is a reasonable championship standard player and if I was manager with the current squad I would start on him on the right wing.

He has no pace though, how will he beat the full back? If he is crossing the ball then who is putting it in the back of the net? Are McNulty and Baldock going to win a lot of headers this season?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2018 12:52

Crotts
Old Man Andrews

Yes he is.

What? He's so slow? You wouldn't last long...

Crotts

by Crotts » 01 Aug 2018 12:52

Tilehurstsouthbank
Crotts The two strikers we have signed are Le Fondre style goal poachers, but we currently create very few of the kind of opportunities to score goals that these kind of strikers need.

So have you done any research into our new strikers? If you had you'd find that McNulty is more in the mould of Nicky Forster than Alfie as he does a lot off the ball, works hard for the team and has a bit of pace. A quick visit to a Cov forum will tell you all you need know.

But how exactly is that going to help him win a header in a challenge with a 6ft 3inch centre half ? We will need to put that kind of ball into the box when our 'pass the opposition to death' approach doesn't work.

Crotts

by Crotts » 01 Aug 2018 12:56

NewCorkSeth
Crotts
Old Man Andrews
Yes he is.

Slow isn't always a major problem for a winger. I will give you (if you really want me to) the names of shedloads of slow players who have been amongst the best wingers the game has seen.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2018 12:59

Crotts
NewCorkSeth
Crotts

Slow isn't always a major problem for a winger. I will give you (if you really want me to) the names of shedloads of slow players who have been amongst the best wingers the game has seen.

I really want you to. I want shedloads of the BEST wingers the game has ever had.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Aug 2018 13:03

NewCorkSeth
Crotts
NewCorkSeth What? He's so slow? You wouldn't last long...

I really want you to. I want shedloads of the BEST wingers the game has ever had.

Just slow ones.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2018 13:04

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Crotts

Just slow ones.

Sorry I don't understand? Wingers have to be slow to be great right?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Aug 2018 13:14

Meite played well through preseason - wouldn’t write him off yet

Crotts

by Crotts » 01 Aug 2018 13:15

NewCorkSeth
Crotts
NewCorkSeth What? He's so slow? You wouldn't last long...

John Robertson - Notts Forest. Probably the best winger ever to play in our top league.
Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2018 13:23

Crotts
NewCorkSeth
Crotts

John Robertson - Notts Forest. Probably the best winger ever to play in our top league.
Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

Ronaldinho not fast??? Are you insane? When he ran he burned opponents.
Beckham was only great with a dead ball.. bod clearly isn't.

Anyway you could fit all those players in one shed. I was expecting shed loads.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 01 Aug 2018 13:27

Crotts
NewCorkSeth
Crotts

Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

Most of those played through the middle or in a 442 formation, so not really a winger. And the others were pretty rapid on their day.
Bod is neither rapid or has the ability to beat a man. Not sure on his crossing ability though.
Anyway, who says a cross has to be challenged in the air. As many have said, Mcnulty and Baldocks best attributes is their movement so they are in threatening positions.

Crotts

by Crotts » 01 Aug 2018 13:33

NewCorkSeth
Crotts
NewCorkSeth I really want you to. I want shedloads of the BEST wingers the game has ever had.

Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

Fine. If you were currently manager you wouldn't start Bodvarsson on the right wing because he is slow. I would. Opinions.

Let's see where his most effective position turns out to be this season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2018 13:37

Crotts
NewCorkSeth
Crotts
Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

Fine. If you were currently manager you wouldn't start Bodvarsson on the right wing because he is slow. I would. Opinions.

Let's see where his most effective position turns out to be this season.

Bench I imagine..

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Aug 2018 13:39

genome So what you're saying is, apart from our tall strikers, we have a really short strikeforce. Gotcha.
We should concentrate on our injuries, if you exclude all the fit and healthy players our entire squad is injured!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Aug 2018 13:44

Forbury Lion
genome So what you're saying is, apart from our tall strikers, we have a really short strikeforce. Gotcha.
We should concentrate on our injuries, if you exclude all the fit and healthy players our entire squad is injured!

Forbes, I'd be more concerned with the fact that apart from Bacuna, Meyler, Kelly, Swift, Edwards, Clement and Rinomhota, we have no central midfielders.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Aug 2018 13:46

genome
Forbury Lion

Forbes, I'd be more concerned with the fact that apart from Bacuna, Meyler, Kelly, Swift, Edwards, Clement and Rinomhota, we have no central midfielders.
On a more positive note, if you exclude all the teams that are better than us, we are the best team in the Championship.... I'd be surprised if the East Stand don't start a chant about that on Friday.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Aug 2018 13:50

Crotts
Tilehurstsouthbank
Crotts The two strikers we have signed are Le Fondre style goal poachers, but we currently create very few of the kind of opportunities to score goals that these kind of strikers need.

So have you done any research into our new strikers? If you had you'd find that McNulty is more in the mould of Nicky Forster than Alfie as he does a lot off the ball, works hard for the team and has a bit of pace. A quick visit to a Cov forum will tell you all you need know.

But how exactly is that going to help him win a header in a challenge with a 6ft 3inch centre half ? We will need to put that kind of ball into the box when our 'pass the opposition to death' approach doesn't work.

Again, this is where a little investigation goes a long way. Paul Clement's playing style is a possession based game. A little less laboured than that under Stam, but you won't see many balls fired at height into anyone.

Crotts

by Crotts » 01 Aug 2018 14:53

Tilehurstsouthbank
Crotts
Tilehurstsouthbank

Again, this is where a little investigation goes a long way. Paul Clement's playing style is a possession based game. A little less laboured than that under Stam, but you won't see many balls fired at height into anyone.

The problem is we do not have the players for an effective possession based game. We also do not have the players for a long ball game or for a 'park the bus and hit them on the break' based game. We have the players for a 'high possession but create few clear chances but give the opposition loads of clear chances' type of game. We're doomed !

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Aug 2018 14:59

Crotts
NewCorkSeth
Crotts

Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

This is a Reading forum, this discussion on slow wingers should have begun and finished with Glenn Little.