MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (h) sponsored by Notlob is Bolton backwards

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (h) sponsored by Notlob is Bolton backwards

by Hound » 18 Aug 2018 17:51

Was a painful result. We play some really nice stuff at times, but make soooo many mistakes and bad decisions

I’m getting absolutely sick of Kelly and McShane in particular. Kelly is a complete waste of a place, constantly slows everything down and takes the safe option. McShane is just a poor player - he constantly commits himself when he shouldn’t, strays out of position and loses every header. Ilori is streets ahead of him. Moore and McShane were hopeless today

Disagree with Swift - he played well. At the heart of anything good we did. Drove forward and was positive. Not everything came off but then it won’t if you actually try to create something

Meite was ok and has potential but constantly chooses the wrong option - put that down to inexperience

Baldock and McNulty had poor games but think they will do ok. We constantly take too long to get the ball to them

Yiadom had his worst game by a mile. Popa looked ok but was obviously trying to force something - as you would when you have 5 mins to try to get a goal

We are just not going to win games if we continue to concede pathetic goals. That one today was an absolute shocker

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Aug 2018 17:54

Royal_jimmy
Reading4eva It's time to tempt Parky back to the club he loves. Otherwise it's curtains. Only side we look capable of finishing above is QPR

The manager isn't the issue. It's far higher than that

Leave God out of this.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Aug 2018 18:26

Royal_jimmy Our problem is our board sign twatty players with no strategy on a way we want to play. Don't let the manager bring his own men in

No, it's because ONCE AGAIN we signed a manager that plays oxf*rd, slow, football that isn't successful in this league.

Not sure why anyone thought Clement would bring something different than Stam

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Aug 2018 18:31

Snowflake Royal So very little has changed then. We're still playing without instinct which slows everything down because we're not aware of the passes that are on until it's too late. Plus there's so all movement and what there is has no cohesion. We still do nothing to stretch the space or unsettle the opposition defence, ultimately doing their job for them by squeezing the space and always letting them get set.

Mannone 6 did little wrong
McShane 4 given an absolutely torrid time and plenty of mistakes.
Meyler 4 Good god he's slow. Took an age in possession and didn't even rough them up much or win the ball a lot.
Kelly 5 no options all too often, put in a better defensive shift than Meyler
Bacuna 4 I was praying for Bacuna to come on to give us someone who could introduce some urgency and carry us forward. Instead he played terrible crossfield hoof after hoof. Patience lost with him, file under Drenthe. God we miss Evans.

Really patchwork side that didn't seem to have a clue how to play. oxf*rd hell this season might kill me.

Yep, seemed like Kelly did more defensively than Meyler. Thought McShane played better than that, Radio Berks said he was MOM(?).

Losing at home to (alleged) relegation fodder, we don't make first sub til...75th min? (Bolton had already made two by then).

So, in Clements' 11 league games we've scored 4 goals (+ a pen). He has 2 wins, both 1-0 home wins (one of which vs. mighty QPR our keeper saved last minute pen).

It's our worst start to a season in 60 years. Next up, away to Blackburn and away to Aston Villa...

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 18 Aug 2018 18:44

What a dogs dinner of a team we are. The curse of injuries over the past few seasons haven't helped but this squad just doesn't look like they enjoy playing together let alone are able to do so.

Granted its very early on in the season,but the lethargic performances and lack of killer instinct remain. I have also lost count of the times we have let goals in after the first 10 mins or so of the restart in the last 3-4 seasons it's just ludicrous. The centre midfield is just not fit to compete. It's sad but swift looks like he is made of glass and Kelly has regressed. Meyler is an honest pro but we are lacking purpose and goals there. If swift gets injured we literally have no attacking outlet in the middle.

I thought Baldock and mcnulty were exceptionally poor but that could have been said of many others.IlLori has looked like a player on the up so why Mcshane gets a recall is baffling.

We have to get a point it two in the next few games or I think readings mentality could be all over the place.Our league positions bar the freak 3rd finish over the last 4 or so seasons don't lie-it's just so sad we have become a team no one fears anymore, full of squad players happy to pick up a nice earner from mainl underperforming fellow championship clubs. Sad times.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2018 18:52

I’d be seriously concerned about the judgement of anyone who thought McShane was MOM today. He was absolutely awful

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Aug 2018 20:02

John Madejski's Wallet
Royal_jimmy Our problem is our board sign twatty players with no strategy on a way we want to play. Don't let the manager bring his own men in

No, it's because ONCE AGAIN we signed a manager that plays oxf*rd, slow, football that isn't successful in this league.

In his interview on the club's youtube channel he specifically mentions "too much tippy tappy football" doesn't suggest a manager who prefers that style of play.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Aug 2018 20:10

sandman
John Madejski's Wallet

In his interview on the club's youtube channel he specifically mentions "too much tippy tappy football" doesn't suggest a manager who prefers that style of play.

There were far too many flicks and lay offs that went astray in the first half. Especially when it was in their area. Not good.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2018 20:51

Hound I’d be seriously concerned about the judgement of anyone who thought McShane was MOM today. He was absolutely awful

He’s probably been our worst player over the course of the 3 games. He’s just passed it and a liability. Hopefully Clement will see sense and stick Ilori back in for Wednesday.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Aug 2018 01:14

CountryRoyal
Hound I’d be seriously concerned about the judgement of anyone who thought McShane was MOM today. He was absolutely awful

He’s probably been our worst player over the course of the 3 games. He’s just passed it and a liability. Hopefully Clement will see sense and stick Ilori back in for Wednesday.

Drop him and Kelly.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Aug 2018 23:01

Gooding gave him MOTM. I would have thought the ex legend player and manager and professional footy pundit would have decent enough judgement.

But itt clearly not clear cut if you and others thought he was poor I suppose. Weird.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Aug 2018 23:27

Just watched the highlights. And yes I know I wasn't there, I didn't watch it all etc but from the highlights I'm very surprised.

1- we seemed to have quite a few great chances compared to almost nothing for them. If this was a bad performance then others must have been great. And that's without barrow or Aluko.

2- mcshane horribly at fault for the first clear chance and again for their second when he just fell asleep and they scored. He was a total liability and I'll be stunned if he's not axed for the next game.

Overall though. I'm oddly not at all concerned by that.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Aug 2018 23:53

2 world wars, 1 world cup

Gooding gave him MOTM. I would have thought the ex legend player and manager and professional footy pundit would have decent enough judgement.

The credentials of whom, a few of us discussed in here just last week. Ha, you couldn’t make it up, right Ian :wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Aug 2018 11:13

Denver Royal

The credentials of whom, a few of us discussed in here just last week. Ha, you couldn’t make it up, right Ian :wink:

Oh ok. Is the consensus that Gooding talks shit then? Looking at the highlights he was at fault for the goal and gave away another goal scoring opportunity earlier so I would have to agree he wasn't great. Perhaps overall though he did a good job.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2018 11:16

Mick Gooding is slowly undoing any good work he did for us as a player with his woeful commentary. Needs to be binned off pronto and Glenn Little take his place.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Aug 2018 12:10

For the most part I thought McShane had a decent game
but he was caught horribly for the goal.

Looking on Whoscored he won as many headers as Wheater, 3 more than Moore

The flat-footed error LOOKED horrible, but Swift failed to challenge for the midfield
error, Moore moved out of shape and was thus nowhere

Who scored rated McShane our best player, and Kelly edged Swift

7.0 McShane
6.8 Mannone, Kelly, Moore
6.7 Swift, Meite
6.4 Blackett
6.3 Yiadom, Baldock
6.2 Meyler
5.9 McNulty

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2018 13:14

Denver Royal

He's had a 'mare there and no mistake. Still generally pretty good.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2018 14:04

Snowball For the most part I thought McShane had a decent game
but he was caught horribly for the goal.

Looking on Whoscored he won as many headers as Wheater, 3 more than Moore

The flat-footed error LOOKED horrible, but Swift failed to challenge for the midfield
error, Moore moved out of shape and was thus nowhere

Who scored rated McShane our best player, and Kelly edged Swift

7.0 McShane
6.8 Mannone, Kelly, Moore
6.7 Swift, Meite
6.4 Blackett
6.3 Yiadom, Baldock
6.2 Meyler
5.9 McNulty

Giving McShane 7 and Moore 6.8 utterly blows any credibility Whoscored may currently have

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Aug 2018 14:17

Encouraging that the 4 lowest rated players are our 4 new signings. :|

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Aug 2018 16:25

Denver Royal Encouraging that the 4 lowest rated players are our 4 new signings. :|

Ha Ha

Mind you that could be the team's fault.

Way back (in the days of 11 men plus 1 sub) Newport County
signed Willie Brown Carlisle's perennial 12th man.

When he started, seemed nothing could go right. He was making
Div2 passes for Div 4 players. He adjusted and became a bit of a hero.