12%

Total votes: 139
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Clement

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Oct 2018 22:07

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I can't imagine he's improved much sitting in a studio. He hasn't had a management job since 2011. I also don't think promotion with that Sunderland side was such a fantastic achievement anyway.

Big fat no thanks from me. I want Clement to stay, but if we have to get someone else in they have to be current, experienced and not a psycho for me.

Ah probs not. But there's no evidence to say that he hasn't improved. He has kept up his coaching and what not. As I said I'm not for him really but do love the shit out of him. It's a cork loyalty thing.
Why not a psycho out of interest? Klopp is clearly a psycho..

That suggests that I like Klopp and agree he's a psycho. Not both of those things are true.

Oh I'm not fond of Klopp either but he is a fantastic manager.

Spin off thread idea: are there more successful managers who are psychos or not?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2018 22:08

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Ah probs not. But there's no evidence to say that he hasn't improved. He has kept up his coaching and what not. As I said I'm not for him really but do love the shit out of him. It's a cork loyalty thing.
Why not a psycho out of interest? Klopp is clearly a psycho..

That suggests that I like Klopp and agree he's a psycho. Not both of those things are true.

Spin off thread idea: are there more successful managers who are psychos or not?

Our survey said

X

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Oct 2018 00:45

^ I heard that post

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Oct 2018 08:09

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal That suggests that I like Klopp and agree he's a psycho. Not both of those things are true.

Our survey said

X

Pep, Mourinho, Klopp, Ranieri, Van Gaal and Ancelotti all seem a bit nuts and are arguably amongst the most successful active managers right now.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Oct 2018 08:57

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Oh I'm not fond of Klopp either but he is a fantastic manager.

Our survey said

X

Pep, Mourinho, Klopp, Ranieri, Van Gaal and Ancelotti all seem a bit nuts and are arguably amongst the most successful active managers right now.

Simeone aswell. Warnock. Many more.

I think most manager are nuts.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Oct 2018 09:17

Kulshaw72RFC
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Our survey said

X

How did I forget Simeone? He's probably the most nuts of all!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Oct 2018 09:24

Just looked at the league table and after this weekends games we haven't dropped any further - looks like the ship has been stabled :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Oct 2018 09:26

NewCorkSeth
Kulshaw72RFC
NewCorkSeth Pep, Mourinho, Klopp, Ranieri, Van Gaal and Ancelotti all seem a bit nuts and are arguably amongst the most successful active managers right now.

I'd argue Alex Ferguson was on the edge of nuts too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Oct 2018 09:52

I'm not using psycho interchangeably with 'a bit crazy'. I'm using it as in 'has no regard for other's emotions or wellbeing'. Keane is a psycho, Klopp is eccentric.

Not only that but he's a psycho who hasn't had a managerial job for seven years.

I don't know why people persist in suggesting names who have been out of management for years like Hoddle, Curbishley, Coppell, Keane etc. It's just so stoopid.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Oct 2018 10:34

Snowflake Royal I'm not using psycho interchangeably with 'a bit crazy'. I'm using it as in 'has no regard for other's emotions or wellbeing'. Keane is a psycho, Klopp is eccentric.

Not only that but he's a psycho who hasn't had a managerial job for seven years.

I don't know why people persist in suggesting names who have been out of management for years like Hoddle, Curbishley, Coppell, Keane etc. It's just so stoopid.

Keane is no more a "psycho" than Klopp and certainly not Simeone. He was very reasonable when he was a manager.

I'm not sure I entirely get your point about him not having a management position in 7 years? To you does that mean there's some automatic guarantee he would be useless? I mean there's a lot of people who have never managed before getting similar or higher profile jobs than Reading.

If you took away the fact it was Keane and just described his history it sounds like a perfectly reasonable appointment. "Former international footballer and multiple title winning former club captain with 5 years management experience, 1 championship title who has spent the last 5 years as Assistant Manager to a European international team that has qualified for 1 out of a possible 2 international tournaments going the same distance as teams like Spain and England in it."

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Oct 2018 10:52

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I'm not using psycho interchangeably with 'a bit crazy'. I'm using it as in 'has no regard for other's emotions or wellbeing'. Keane is a psycho, Klopp is eccentric.

Keane is no more a "psycho" than Klopp and certainly not Simeone. He was very reasonable when he was a manager.

I'm not sure I entirely get your point about him not having a management position in 7 years? To you does that mean there's some automatic guarantee he would be useless? I mean there's a lot of people who have never managed before getting similar or higher profile jobs than Reading.

If you took away the fact it was Keane and just described his history it sounds like a perfectly reasonable appointment. "Former international footballer and multiple title winning former club captain with 5 years management experience, 1 championship title who has spent the last 5 years as Assistant Manager to a European international team that has qualified for 1 out of a possible 2 international tournaments going the same distance as teams like Spain and England in it."

No, Snowflake Royal is correct. You can't be out the game that long, whether you're Roy Keane or not. Was he even that good as a manager? I certainly remember Ipswich being very, very average under him and as previously discussed, that Sunderland side were a cut above anyway without much of his doing.

Remember when Sunderland appointed Howard Wilkinson after 16 years out the game? That went well didn't it

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Oct 2018 11:15

John Smith
NewCorkSeth

No, Snowflake Royal is correct. You can't be out the game that long, whether you're Roy Keane or not. Was he even that good as a manager? I certainly remember Ipswich being very, very average under him and as previously discussed, that Sunderland side were a cut above anyway without much of his doing.

Remember when Sunderland appointed Howard Wilkinson after 16 years out the game? That went well didn't it

But he's not been out of the game has he? He's been actively assisting for the last 5 years. He had a brief spell with villa too. It's not like he's been gardening for 7 years he's been active in football management.

The point in large I was making was there's people like Nagelsman and Howe who had never managed before and people like Wagner who only managed reserve teams and people like Clement who had only been Assitant Managers or Coaches so the argument that someone has been "out of the game" doesn't make sense. It's not like he is Kenny Daiglish who did nothing football related for 8 or 9 years.

Didn't McCarthy get sacked the season before Keane took over for bringing the side that were "a cut above" towards the relegation zone?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Oct 2018 14:26

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
NewCorkSeth Keane is no more a "psycho" than Klopp and certainly not Simeone. He was very reasonable when he was a manager.

But he's not been out of the game has he? He's been actively assisting for the last 5 years. He had a brief spell with villa too. It's not like he's been gardening for 7 years he's been active in football management.

The point in large I was making was there's people like Nagelsman and Howe who had never managed before and people like Wagner who only managed reserve teams and people like Clement who had only been Assitant Managers or Coaches so the argument that someone has been "out of the game" doesn't make sense. It's not like he is Kenny Daiglish who did nothing football related for 8 or 9 years.

Didn't McCarthy get sacked the season before Keane took over for bringing the side that were "a cut above" towards the relegation zone?

You do know that International teams only get together for a handful of weeks a year right?

There is a difference between working your way up to management and failing at it and then doing some coaching part time.

I think deliberately breaking someone's leg in a game counts as fairly psychotic personally.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Oct 2018 14:30

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
John Smith No, Snowflake Royal is correct. You can't be out the game that long, whether you're Roy Keane or not. Was he even that good as a manager? I certainly remember Ipswich being very, very average under him and as previously discussed, that Sunderland side were a cut above anyway without much of his doing.

You do know that International teams only get together for a handful of weeks a year right?

What a revelation Ian!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Oct 2018 14:38

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Kulshaw72RFC

I'd argue Alex Ferguson was on the edge of nuts too.

Bob Paisley was not nuts and look what Liverpool achieved under him so I'm presuming having to be "nuts" to be successful is a modern thing.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 15 Oct 2018 14:40

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
John Smith No, Snowflake Royal is correct. You can't be out the game that long, whether you're Roy Keane or not. Was he even that good as a manager? I certainly remember Ipswich being very, very average under him and as previously discussed, that Sunderland side were a cut above anyway without much of his doing.

There is a difference between working your way up to management and failing at it and then doing some coaching part time.

I think deliberately breaking someone's leg in a game counts as fairly psychotic personally.

who's leg did he break?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Oct 2018 15:42

BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth But he's not been out of the game has he? He's been actively assisting for the last 5 years. He had a brief spell with villa too. It's not like he's been gardening for 7 years he's been active in football management.

who's leg did he break?

Halaand. You know the guy? Who played the rest of that game after the tackle? And played in Man city's next game? Who's leg wasn't broken?

Zidane must be a psycho too for rising to the bait and headbutting someone.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Oct 2018 15:53

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

He won a title in his first season in management.

How many teams who come 20th in the Premier League win the Championship the next season? Isn't it just Sunderland? That doesn't seem like failure.

I guess Jaochim Low has been out of football since 2004. Must be a shite manager.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Oct 2018 16:11

NewCorkSeth
BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal You do know that International teams only get together for a handful of weeks a year right?

who's leg did he break?

Halaand. You know the guy? Who played the rest of that game after the tackle? And played in Man city's next game? Who's leg wasn't broken?

Zidane must be a psycho too for rising to the bait and headbutting someone.

He didn't play again after Keane deliberately ruptured his ACL in a horror tackle.

If you want psycho, then Thatcher elbowing Mendes will be up there.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Oct 2018 16:14

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth But he's not been out of the game has he? He's been actively assisting for the last 5 years. He had a brief spell with villa too. It's not like he's been gardening for 7 years he's been active in football management.

He won a title in his first season in management.

How many teams who come 20th in the Premier League win the Championship the next season? Isn't it just Sunderland? That doesn't seem like failure.

I guess Jaochim Low has been out of football since 2004. Must be a shite manager.

Nope, just a shite sniffer

880 posts