Ian Royal
12%

Total votes: 139
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Clement

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2018 12:00

John Smith
SCIAG ...eventually this approach paid dividends and we had one of our most successful spells at scoring set piece goals, particularly through Bikey.

Who scored 6 goals in 3 seasons for us. What are you on about? Stop guessing to try and sound clever.

Perhaps he meant having a nutter in the opposition box for a corner resulted in more goals than statistically average.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Sep 2018 12:04

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
SCIAG ...eventually this approach paid dividends and we had one of our most successful spells at scoring set piece goals, particularly through Bikey.

Who scored 6 goals in 3 seasons for us. What are you on about? Stop guessing to try and sound clever.

Perhaps he meant having a nutter in the opposition box for a corner resulted in more goals than statistically average.

I'd love to know what he did mean, Seth because at the moment he's being made to look very, very silly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2018 18:38

Stranded
NewCorkSeth I am unable to back this up in any way but I believe I read that short corners (as in not into the box) result in more goals that corners crossed deep into the box.

Corners and goal kicks both wind me up a little as in both cases pumping it long often lead to either a counter attack or sustained possession for the other team a large amount of the time.

Its one of the reasons I prefer a team to play it out from the back. It also lessens the amount of head tennis I have to watch which I really hate..

Corners are statistically awful when it comes to goal scoring chances, which makes sense when you think about it (ball has to go away from goal to give the team a chance and the defending team are virtually all back). A good short corner, should increase your chances. Take our 2nd on Saturday for example, short ball pulls 2 defenders out, quick ball releases Aluko and suddenly you are pulling back from a better position with more fluid movement in the box.

If used properly, short corners can be very dangerous.

The problem with short corners is they require better organisation, decision making and more training ground work. And they frustrate fans who just want to see the ball put in the box. It also has to catch the opposition by surprise, otherwise you're all the way back to your keeper or just playing around the edges of a packed box. ANd if that was what you were struggling with before the corner, it's not going to help a lot.

I used to hate short corners, but mainly because we were so utterly abject at them in comparison to the old Keith McPherson near post flick on. Clement seems to have done a lot of good work on set pieces with us though. We seem a hell of a lot smarter with them now.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2018 22:08

Clement officially OUT for me now.

I understand the not wanting to chop and change managers all the time but if he's the wrong appointment he's the wrong appointment. Clement won't save us and I don't see him hanging about in League One, nor would I particularly want him to.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Sep 2018 22:11

Despite the Norwich disaster will give him a few more games. Lose to Hull and then Brentford and not sure how he can hold on from there

Why did we start so lethargically? Didn’t wake up until 30 mins gone. Then yet another appalling defensive lapse?

Mentality we are utterly feeble at home. No idea why - the crowd are relatively supportive considering

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 19 Sep 2018 23:02

Hound Despite the Norwich disaster will give him a few more games. Lose to Hull and then Brentford and not sure how he can hold on from there

Why did we start so lethargically? Didn’t wake up until 30 mins gone. Then yet another appalling defensive lapse?

Mentality we are utterly feeble at home. No idea why - the crowd are relatively supportive considering

One might even think it was the managers fault we are so poorly prepared for these games, and at reacting to certain situations?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Sep 2018 23:15

Can't defend Clement tonight, he got it badly wrong on almost every level.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 Sep 2018 23:35

CountryRoyal Clement officially OUT for me now.

I understand the not wanting to chop and change managers all the time but if he's the wrong appointment he's the wrong appointment. Clement won't save us and I don't see him hanging about in League One, nor would I particularly want him to.

And what makes you think the person who decided to appoint Clement will be able to select a better replacement for him?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Sep 2018 23:45

blueroyals

And what makes you think the person who decided to appoint Clement will be able to select a better replacement for him?

Yeh, this is my biggest worry. Especially with the Nani/Zola connection.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2018 23:56

blueroyals

Nothing, but that doesn’t change anything. Assuming* Clement is the wrong man for the job, then keeping him instead of maybe getting the right person or maybe not, is a bit nonsensical. That’s just obvious.

I do actually like Clement a bit, or I do at least have some sympathy for him. That being said he’s certainly exacerbated the situation and from the outside, and by all accounts, doesn’t seem to be the motivator that this squad needs.

That’s what we really need, someone to come in and give these shit players a kick up the arse. The quality just isn’t there so even IF they start playing to their ability or heaven forbid even above it I still think we would struggle in this division, neither of those look remotely likely and I do honestly believe relegation is a formality which seems outrageous to say so early on.

I know it’s naive, but I was thinking back to the 11/12 team and even though it was limited technically the character and commitment of pretty much every player was as much as you could ask for. We got rid of those types of players and started to recruit people like Danny Guthrie, Royston Drenthe etc. The ethos of the club changed when JM left and ever since then we have been meandering towards League One, and I think we are now really seeing the results of years of poor management and poor recruitment.

My only fear is with the club in the state it’s in at the moment, we’re more likely to go down next season as well. It’s really hard to realistically see where we can go from here.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2018 23:57

Pepe the Horseman
blueroyals

We should be looking at traditional, no nonsense, man managers who have got teams promoted from League One.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Sep 2018 00:45

Pepe the Horseman
blueroyals

We can just keep on booing from the end of Clement's last game through to Zola's first game.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 20 Sep 2018 01:52

Company Politics - Who Hired Clement ? Answer - Gourlay.

If Clement is ousted now its bye bye Gourlay - especially now BT gone - no one else to blame

Would probably a be a good thing, but even more turmoil - the players are the prime culprits at the moment though - should be good enough for 13-18 finish but on recent performances I am serious doubting their mental attitude.

And Gunter has to go - he is the epitomy of our cruising / losing / safe / comfortable mentality - since he has been here the club has been on the slide. He is the Senior pro - sometimes captain - does just enough (most of the time) but no more - he should be screaming about love for the club passion desire fight etc.

Damn right we need a hungry in your face League 1 Manager to get us up back next season

No matter what they all say we have too many journeyman on fat contracts who don't really care and or can't be arsed

I feel sorry for the owners - they have been taken for a ride by supposed experts who can talk the talk but thats it

I think the club has massive problems - not least of which is apathy amongst the dwindling fan base - its dull its boring and really is a waste of time. ST turnout in my little group was 40%. I only now go out of habit and for a bit of banter

Bollox

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 20 Sep 2018 02:22

Clement is the solution not the problem.

He needs time to fix everything that is wrong with the squad. The size of the squad, the wrong blend of players, the fat contracts.

It's just pathetic to talk about ousting the guy after he has had one transfer window. I think he has shown that he understands the problems. He is working on the solutions. But this ship cannot be turned around quickly. It needs hard work, Patience, understanding from us fans and our continued support. Let's just get behind him and support him to sort everything out.

78royal

by 78royal » 20 Sep 2018 02:57

Agree

okanaganroyal

by okanaganroyal » 20 Sep 2018 04:55

2nd Needs more time inherited a bad unbalanced unmotivated squad

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Sep 2018 04:58

Clement got the job due to Gourlay, as a manager he has failed twice already, as a coach he did well
This club has been here before, we have only beaten two other clubs since he arrived.
It is time for back to basics, get an English manager in, with English backroom staff, and get rid of all the foreign cross who don't give a damn about the club.
The Premier League idea of the best players from across the world only works for the top few clubs, those that play in Europe, it doesn't work further down , where hard work and caring are better than oxf*rd on big money

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Sep 2018 07:58

Harpers So Solid Crew Clement got the job due to Gourlay, as a manager he has failed twice already, as a coach he did well
This club has been here before, we have only beaten two other clubs since he arrived.
It is time for back to basics, get an English manager in, with English backroom staff, and get rid of all the foreign cross who don't give a damn about the club.
The Premier League idea of the best players from across the world only works for the top few clubs, those that play in Europe, it doesn't work further down , where hard work and caring are better than oxf*rd on big money

I'm not sure where the players come from really matters. We have had some brilliant overseas imports in the (relatively recent) past. Players of all Nationalities can have shyte attitudes. It's about the recruitment team selecting those with the right attitudes. Where are all the big, positive personalities that Clement said he was going to bring in?

Van Den Berg had his limitations but he was clearly passionate about the game and a real fighter (on occasions literally).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2018 08:25

Joey was diabolical last season, and we showed even less spirit last season than we have this

Do agree to an extent about the ‘leaders’ though. What is the point of OShea? Just to sit on the bench each week? It’s a bit bizarre. Meyler has let himself down with his own poor performances and Yiadom and Baldock are not central enough to the play to influence enough

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Sep 2018 08:26

Harpers So Solid Crew Clement got the job due to Gourlay, as a manager he has failed twice already, as a coach he did well

I would love him to have the record he had at Derby here, he had them in the play-offs.

Clement was the wrong choice simply because these players needed someone the polar opposite of Stam to kick them out of their funk. They needed a right kick up the arse kind of manager. Unfortunately, hiring someone like that will only give a short term fix and in a year or two, we would likely be back where we are now.

The biggest mistake we made is not refreshing the squad enough. We should have sold Moore (would we really be worse without him?) and bought in another couple of first team ready players. Injuries aren't helping but look at the starting XI last night, 7 of them played regularly last season and 2 of the 3 subs were also here then (of the other 4 starters, one was relegated last season, one was on loan in France and one barely played) - it is a losing culture, players are coasting, I'm not sure how it can be turned around.

It was the right thing to do last night to start with the same XI as at Preston, but why they didn't get on the front foot immediately I will never know. Whatever was said/changed at HT worked as we were more on the front foot and the better team and the subs helped push that advantage forward. What no manager can do much about, is the total collapse of attitude and professionalism that the next 30 seconds brought.

880 posts