I think I’m done - just can’t watch this lot anymore

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: I think I’m done - just can’t watch this lot anymore

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Sep 2018 11:04

Forbury Lion McDermott Championship winning season - No matter the score, you always thought we had a chance of getting something from the game before the final whistle (mostly thanks to supersub Le Fondre)

Current team - No matter the score, you are never confident that we will get anything from the game before the final whistle (mostly thanks to our defence switching off and conceding a soft goal).

The manager, In my opinion needs to focus the players on 3 things 1. Defence, 2. Defence, 3. Defence - Get that right and then we can look at what's wrong elsewhere as there is no point scoring a goal if your going to let two in, you may as well shut up shop and get a point. It's the way Pardew turned things around, starting at the back.

I agree. But the problem we have is that what was being served up by McDermott's team was deemed unacceptable to the Reading support as a whole. They were booed, jeered and in what turned out to be his last game they were even laughed at. Playing with passion and losing wasn't good enough for us.

In my mind, that is when it changed. It don't necessarily think this is a Reading problem. its a culture thing. Your modern day, media indoctrinated supporters if you like. It probably would have happened at a lot of other clubs.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2018 11:11

genome
since AAH chucked one in against QPR

I maintain he did that on purpose to get Clarke the sack

Definitely adds up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Sep 2018 14:41

Tony Le Mesmer
Forbury Lion McDermott Championship winning season - No matter the score, you always thought we had a chance of getting something from the game before the final whistle (mostly thanks to supersub Le Fondre)

Current team - No matter the score, you are never confident that we will get anything from the game before the final whistle (mostly thanks to our defence switching off and conceding a soft goal).

The manager, In my opinion needs to focus the players on 3 things 1. Defence, 2. Defence, 3. Defence - Get that right and then we can look at what's wrong elsewhere as there is no point scoring a goal if your going to let two in, you may as well shut up shop and get a point. It's the way Pardew turned things around, starting at the back.

I agree. But the problem we have is that what was being served up by McDermott's team was deemed unacceptable to the Reading support as a whole. They were booed, jeered and in what turned out to be his last game they were even laughed at. Playing with passion and losing wasn't good enough for us.

In my mind, that is when it changed. It don't necessarily think this is a Reading problem. its a culture thing. Your modern day, media indoctrinated supporters if you like. It probably would have happened at a lot of other clubs.

Presume you mean McDermott's second stint which was indeed pathetic but seeing as that stint only lasted 6 months and he had no real chance to build the team to fit what he was about it's a bit unfair to totally blame him.

Give anything to have McDermott and the side the built the first time now. In fact I think I'd take any Reading team from the past over the **** we've had since 2012. Even watching Burns' and Bullivant's teams had some respite from the consistent never ending awfulness of what passes as football now.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 24 Sep 2018 12:28

I think Saturday's display and result is why a few of us aren't done with watching the Royals. Left the Mad Stad absolutely beaming, the bus back was full of bantz and good humour and the post-match analysis in the boozer was full of positivity. That was just one result vs a p*ss poor Hull City side.

You cannot beat that winning feeling.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Sep 2018 12:33

Zammo I think Saturday's display and result is why a few of us aren't done with watching the Royals. Left the Mad Stad absolutely beaming, the bus back was full of bantz and good humour and the post-match analysis in the boozer was full of positivity. That was just one result vs a p*ss poor Hull City side.

Being shit for so long makes it better when it does happen too.

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 24 Sep 2018 12:53

genome
Zammo I think Saturday's display and result is why a few of us aren't done with watching the Royals. Left the Mad Stad absolutely beaming, the bus back was full of bantz and good humour and the post-match analysis in the boozer was full of positivity. That was just one result vs a p*ss poor Hull City side.

As the old saying goes "you have to put up with the bad time to enjoy the good times" or something like that.....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Sep 2018 13:21

Said on the other thread - first half was most I’ve enjoyed a game for a couple of years. Now to keep it up

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Sep 2018 13:38

genome

The pleasure principle.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Sep 2018 14:31

Snowball The Premiership, the stupid International breaks, teams filling with mercenaries, and little or no local feeling, SKY, dumb start times, moving start times, too much punditry, (some) players on so much money they (some) lose the ability to relate to normal people, the media pressures, Twitter bollox, too-expensive food and drink, out of town sites, tough, expensive parking or sh!tty buses, security searches etc all these chip away at the joy go going to games - and of course, often there's a game on the telly...

If we were having a real go, route one, diving in like JVDB, just trying to make stuff happen, then that's OK.

Fans of footy clubs up and down the country dealing with same.

JVDB one of more hated players in recent memory, only bought him and played him cos he was Dutch, ridiculed in here on weekly basis, we ran him out of town?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Sep 2018 15:22

Snowball The Premiership, the stupid International breaks, teams filling with mercenaries, and little or no local feeling, SKY, dumb start times, moving start times, too much punditry, (some) players on so much money they (some) lose the ability to relate to normal people, the media pressures, Twitter bollox, too-expensive food and drink, out of town sites, tough, expensive parking or sh!tty buses, security searches etc all these chip away at the joy go going to games - and of course, often there's a game on the telly...

If we were having a real go, route one, diving in like JVDB, just trying to make stuff happen, then that's OK.

I read this as a sort of Trainspotting-esque monologue.

Very good, and very true. I do rate your content generally Mr Snowball.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Sep 2018 23:16

Denver Royal

JVDB one of more hated players in recent memory, only bought him and played him cos he was Dutch, ridiculed in here on weekly basis, we ran him out of town?

I liked JVDB I think he could do a good job as a DMF......it's when for some obscure reason he was put in central defence it went horribly wrong. I miss him. He will never be a wrong un in my book.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 29 Sep 2018 07:28

Are you going today Royal Rother?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Sep 2018 08:42

No, I was at Fairford v Windsor.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 Sep 2018 09:31

Ascotexgunner
Denver Royal

I liked JVDB I think he could do a good job as a DMF......it's when for some obscure reason he was put in central defence it went horribly wrong. I miss him. He will never be a wrong un in my book.

But real talk - he was shit. Even as a DMF.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2018 10:15

He was limited, that's not the same as shit. I'd take him over most of our other recent midfielders in the defensive role.

Got a lot of unnecessary hate. At least he put a shift in every game unlike some we still have. Give me a limited player trying his best over a better one playing well below his ability any day of the week.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 Sep 2018 10:36

Snowflake Royal He was limited, that's not the same as shit. I'd take him over most of our other recent midfielders in the defensive role.

Got a lot of unnecessary hate. At least he put a shift in every game unlike some we still have. Give me a limited player trying his best over a better one playing well below his ability any day of the week.

na you're alright. I'd give 100% but I'd still take Swift or Bacuna over me. Not to mention he was a walking red card.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2018 10:56

Snowflake Royal He was limited, that's not the same as shit. I'd take him over most of our other recent midfielders in the defensive role.

First year he was good. Second year horrendous. Unfit and useless

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2018 11:14

Jagermesiter1871

na you're alright. I'd give 100% but I'd still take Swift or Bacuna over me. Not to mention he was a walking red card.

I've already shown once that he wasn't even remotely a walking red card. And I'm sorry to tell you, you don't even get close tio being as good as limited.

Not sure why you'd even conider Swift as a defensive midfielder either, I'm not sure I can think of a worse midfielder to put there... maybe Josh Barrett.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 02 Oct 2018 13:25

Jerry St Clair
John Smith My shout would be the 1999 team. August and Sept, April - May were horrifying.

Do you mean the Bullivant relegation season of 97/98?

Oxford away on 17 March 1998 remains my benchmark for apocalyptically bad Reading moments when you truly believe the club might totally implode. How does the current predicament compare with that?

http://hobnob.royals.org/matdoc/170398.html

+1 to this, a perfect example of 11 players and no team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7V_02w-jZ8

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Oct 2018 13:32

Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871

I've already shown once that he wasn't even remotely a walking red card.

+1

I am always amazed to see people say this about JVDB, he got 1 red card for us, and 19 yellows. In a 65 game span, I don't that is too bad, considering the role he played for us.

And even that red was a second booking taking one for the team with the oppo through on goal IIRC.