On this day

413 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: On this day

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2018 11:01

leon
Jerry St Clair 13 years ago. Oh yes, what a beauty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68ch5w8sFY

My 9 year old calls lobbed goals Glen Little goals, after I played clips of this goal repeatedly to him about a year ago.

Should've won goal of the season, but no... Lita's overhead from a yard out was deemed to be better :roll:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Nov 2018 11:25

Hendo
leon
Jerry St Clair 13 years ago. Oh yes, what a beauty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68ch5w8sFY

My 9 year old calls lobbed goals Glen Little goals, after I played clips of this goal repeatedly to him about a year ago.

Should've won goal of the season, but no... Lita's overhead from a yard out was deemed to be better :roll:

It was quite astonishing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2018 14:52

Jerry St Clair Lost 3-1 to Swindle at the County Ground on this day in 1996.

I must have been there, but have absolutely no recollection of the game. Probably for the best.

30th November appears to be a rare date for a Reading fixture in the last 25 years or so. that Swindon game I think is the only league game played which is odd when you consider games on specific dates should come round every 5/6 years or so during mid-season.

They did beat Halifax 1-0 at the Shay on this date in an FA Cup 2nd round replay in 1999 (that was the season that the 3rd round was played in December because ManU were told to play in some stupid European competition instead of entering the FA Cup).

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Nov 2018 15:10

Jerry St Clair Lost 3-1 to Swindle at the County Ground on this day in 1996.

I must have been there, but have absolutely no recollection of the game. Probably for the best.

I was living in Swindon at the time. It rained, Mark Walters scored in front of the away end, we were shit and I had to suffer the jibes of a bunch of gurning inbreds at work on the Monday morning.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Dec 2018 11:34

On this day in 2009 a Brendan Rodgers led Reading side beat Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 at Hillsborough.

Reading: Rasiak (49 mins), Cisse (67 mins).

Reading: Federici, Ingimarsson, Bertrand, Pearce, McAnuff, Tabb, Cisse, Matejovsky, Sigurdsson (Gunnarsson, 65), Rasiak, Church (Kebe, 23).

Subs not used: O'Dea, Hamer, Karacan, Robson-Kanu, Cummings.

Generic Locale Royal

by Generic Locale Royal » 05 Dec 2018 13:33

Old Man Andrews On this day in 2009 a Brendan Rodgers led Reading side beat Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 at Hillsborough.

Reading: Federici, Ingimarsson, Bertrand, Pearce, McAnuff, Tabb, Cisse, Matejovsky, Sigurdsson (Gunnarsson, 65), Rasiak, Church (Kebe, 23).

O'Dea :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Dec 2018 14:40

Old Man Andrews On this day in 2009 a Brendan Rodgers led Reading side beat Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 at Hillsborough.

I was at that game and it was one of my coldest experiences at a football game. Sat in the lower tier and could barely see anything.

Great win though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Dec 2018 11:18

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/111217.html

The moment it all seemed to unravel... :(

It is a measure of how much Reading have improved that a draw against second placed Cardiff was a disappointing result. Reading are playing some good football, scoring goals, and only one defeat in eight games. The run includes some good results against strong teams. There is every reason to feel optimistic about the rest of the season.

oxf*rd

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 11 Dec 2018 20:27

leon
Hendo
leon

Wasn’t even Lita’s best goal that season (Number 2 v WBA was)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Dec 2018 09:52

Kitsondinho
leon
Hendo

Wasn’t even Lita’s best goal that season (Number 2 v WBA was)

Fair point, I think a lot of people forget about that game because it was the FA Cup replay.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Dec 2018 09:37

There can't be many worse days than 13 December in our recent history:

2016 Leeds 2-0 Reading
2014 Birmingham 6-1 Reading
2008 Reading 2-0 Norwich
2003 Stoke 3-0 Reading
1997 Middlesbrough 4-0 Reading (Division 1)

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Dec 2018 11:42

Grim.

Sheffield Weds game mentioned up thread - went to that, quite cold, realised all they'd done was plonk seats into the Leppings Lane end. Game itself was efficiently won.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Dec 2018 11:30

PANTS Day!!!!!!!!!

Oh, how things have changed.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 18 Dec 2018 21:38

Reading 4 Wolves 2. One of the greatest EP occasions and Reading fans rabid after McGhee had left. Headers by Oz :shock: , Quinn, the ultimate tap-in by Gilkes, second stabs from Gilkesy after THAT reverse pass by Quinn and holstering pistols in front of the South Bank, Oz nearly shattering the Tilehurst End crossbar (NO Brian Moore, it was not Archie), the 'reducer' by Scotty, de Wolf getting rinsed by Archie, Shaka Theo Foley's MotM (should have gone to Oz). Halcyon days.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Dec 2018 08:14

Ark Royal Reading 4 Wolves 2. One of the greatest EP occasions and Reading fans rabid after McGhee had left. Headers by Oz :shock: , Quinn, the ultimate tap-in by Gilkes, second stabs from Gilkesy after THAT reverse pass by Quinn and holstering pistols in front of the South Bank, Oz nearly shattering the Tilehurst End crossbar (NO Brian Moore, it was not Archie), the 'reducer' by Scotty, de Wolf getting rinsed by Archie, Shaka Theo Foley's MotM (should have gone to Oz). Halcyon days.

Shaka deserved man of the match purely for putting up with Wolves fans shouting you black bastard every time he took a goal kick and making monkey noises. If only they had half the class of the man they were abusing.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 19 Dec 2018 10:40

Ark Royal Reading 4 Wolves 2. One of the greatest EP occasions and Reading fans rabid after McGhee had left. Headers by Oz :shock: , Quinn, the ultimate tap-in by Gilkes, second stabs from Gilkesy after THAT reverse pass by Quinn and holstering pistols in front of the South Bank, Oz nearly shattering the Tilehurst End crossbar (NO Brian Moore, it was not Archie), the 'reducer' by Scotty, de Wolf getting rinsed by Archie, Shaka Theo Foley's MotM (should have gone to Oz). Halcyon days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL569UX_Bl8

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Dec 2018 10:43

sandman

Shaka deserved man of the match purely for putting up with Wolves fans shouting you black bastard every time he took a goal kick and making monkey noises. If only they had half the class of the man they were abusing.

Well at least society and football has moved on from those days...….

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 21 Dec 2018 14:20

THIRTY-THREE :shock: years ago today Reading go 0-3 down against promotion challengers Plymouth, pull one back in the 65th minute through a Deano :cry: pen and then score three in nine minutes to win 4-3. Still the most utterly mental game I have ever witnessed.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Dec 2018 14:59

Ark Royal THIRTY-THREE :shock: years ago today Reading go 0-3 down against promotion challengers Plymouth, pull one back in the 65th minute through a Deano :cry: pen and then score three in nine minutes to win 4-3. Still the most utterly mental game I have ever witnessed.

Didn't go to this game but remember going ballistic watching the score go through on the Grandstand tele-printer.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Dec 2018 20:14

Ark Royal THIRTY-THREE :shock: years ago today Reading go 0-3 down against promotion challengers Plymouth, pull one back in the 65th minute through a Deano :cry: pen and then score three in nine minutes to win 4-3. Still the most utterly mental game I have ever witnessed.

Still rate this as best Reading game ever, certainly at Elm Park .

413 posts