Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Brentford (a) sponsored by one pub on each corner

by Sutekh » 25 Sep 2018 10:37

When : Saturday 29th September, 3pm
Where : Griffin Park, London, TW8 0NT
Capacity : 12,763
Away Stand : Brook Road Stand
What might I see in the area : Alan Freeman

Reading will take their 1 game unbeaten run to Griffin Park for what is expected to be the toughest game of the season so far. Brentford are unbeaten at home since Cardiff won there way back in March and since then there has been nothing but points rolling in. There have been 5 games so far at “The Park” this season (4 league, 1 cup) and Brentford have won the lot by 12 goals to 2 so this game is probably as close to a home banker as you can get in the division.

While Reading have a clear week before the game, Brentford have a league cup game at Arsenal to worry about tomorrow, which hopefully will see a couple of their first teamers involved if nothing else.

John O’Shea will serve his one game suspension for this one while the injury list (largely Popa, Edwards, & Obita) with doubts over McShane and Blackett. There are chances that Harriott and/or McCleary might get a place on the bench having supposedly recovered from their problems.

As a result of the above it’s likely PC will have to revert to the more standard central defensive partnership of Moore and Ilori so the chances are the Chris Gunter may well be restored to right back though I’m hoping Blackett or McShane might be over their injuries to give the manager alternative options in that position.

Referee

This round of games sees County Durham’s Geoff Eltringham back for another go at Reading’s fortunes.

Previous

03 Feb 18 > Reading 0-2 Millwall
22 Apr 17 > Nottingham Forest 3-2 Reading
17 Mar 17 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading
04 Feb 17 > Ipswich Town 2-2 Reading
13 Dec 16 > Leeds United 2-0 Reading
02 Apr 16 > Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Reading
12 Dec 15 > Preston North End 1-0 Reading
07 Apr 15 > Blackpool 1-1 Reading
23 Nov 13 > Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Reading
14 Feb 12 > Derby County 0-1 Reading

Historically

Reading have won roughly a quarter of the league games played at Brentford (10 out of 42) while losing on 19 occasions. Brentford have won 5 of the last 8 league games played between the sides (W5, D2, L1). Looks like Reading will have to score at least once to get anything from the game as Reading have failed to keep a clean sheet at Griffin Park since the days of Steve Death and 17 Sep 1973 came along. That's a total of almost exactly 45 years and 21 games :lol: (but then Reading have only ever kept 2 clean sheets in the league at Griffin Park so perhaps that isn't really a surprise).

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to Griffin Park
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (a) sponsored by one pub on each corner

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Sep 2018 10:41

Has David Coote retired? I am getting worried about him.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 25 Sep 2018 14:00

thanks

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Sep 2018 14:41

Old Man Andrews Has David Coote retired? I am getting worried about him.

Don't know how you're going to handle this season OMA. Mr Coote is now part of the Select Group and is therefore only like to get the top Championship games rather than the run of the mill cr@pola Reading will be playing. His last game was Leicester City 3-1 Huddersfield Town last weekend.

And it'll annoy you even more to know that if Reading had beaten Watford they'd have been joining Mr Coote and Tottenham at Wembley in the 3rd round of the League Cup this week.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Sep 2018 14:42

Sutekh

Don't know how you're going to handle this season OMA. Mr Coote is now part of the Select Group and is therefore only like to get the top Championship games rather than the run of the mill cr@pola Reading will be playing. His last game was Leicester City 3-1 Huddersfield Town last weekend.

And it'll annoy you even more to know that if Reading had beaten Watford they'd have been joining Mr Coote and Tottenham at Wembley in the 3rd round of the League Cup this week.

WHAT IS THIS SELECT GROUP!!!!!!! THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCECPTABLE TO ME.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Sep 2018 14:59

Sutekh And it'll annoy you even more to know that if Reading had beaten Watford they'd have been joining Mr Coote and Tottenham at Wembley in the 3rd round of the League Cup this week.

At Milton Keynes, actually :wink:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Sep 2018 15:10

Sutekh

Wouldn`t we have been a different number in the draw had we won? alphobetical like.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 25 Sep 2018 16:02

Sutekh
  1. Get a ticket and travel to Griffin Park
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

You should add: Freeview Channel 719 (certainly in London) for BBCRB.... more reliable than iFollow/ internet things and the key word is "Free"

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Sep 2018 18:05

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh

WHAT IS THIS SELECT GROUP!!!!!!! THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCECPTABLE TO ME.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select_ ... prov=sfla1

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Sep 2018 21:09

Seemed to have gone off the boil a bit, Brentford. They were rubbish 2nd half vs Ipswich, then defeat to Derby and getting spanked by Arsenal apparently

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Sep 2018 09:19

Hound Seemed to have gone off the boil a bit, Brentford. They were rubbish 2nd half vs Ipswich, then defeat to Derby and getting spanked by Arsenal apparently

I wouldn't have said Brentford, with several likely changes, getting spanked at Arsenal particularly says anything about their current form.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Sep 2018 09:26

Yeah wasn't really a spanking from what I saw. It was a team who rested players in order to have a better chance of beating us on Saturday, I am fearing a spanking from them.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Sep 2018 10:07

Hound Seemed to have gone off the boil a bit, Brentford. They were rubbish 2nd half vs Ipswich, then defeat to Derby and getting spanked by Arsenal apparently

It sounded like they did alright last night, just ran out of steam a bit at the end. They were leading at Derby too. I agree about the 2nd half at Ipswich though - should have put them to bed long before.

Maybe they have an issue seeing out games...?

Injury time winner at Griffin Park in front of the terrace perhaps?! A Gunter toe poke from a yard out amongst a melee!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Sep 2018 10:08

John Smith

It sounded like they did alright last night, just ran out of steam a bit at the end. They were leading at Derby too. I agree about the 2nd half at Ipswich though - should have put them to bed long before.

Injury time winner at Griffin Park in front of the terrace perhaps?! A Gunter toe poke from a yard out amongst a melee!

No it can't be him. He has to go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Sep 2018 10:27

wrote that comment at half time when the commentator said it should have been 3 or 4-0 to Arsenal. Didnt watch it or anything, but sounds like they played quite well second half. Hopefully they'll be a little fatigued - they still played a fair few first teamers

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Sep 2018 10:28

Sutekh

I wouldn't have said Brentford, with several likely changes, getting spanked at Arsenal particularly says anything about their current form.

indeed. Which is why I mentioned Ipswich and Derby

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Sep 2018 10:49

Hound wrote that comment at half time when the commentator said it should have been 3 or 4-0 to Arsenal. Didnt watch it or anything, but sounds like they played quite well second half. Hopefully they'll be a little fatigued - they still played a fair few first teamers

Hmmmm. I'd probably formulate my own opinion once the game had finished but up to you

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Sep 2018 10:56

It's hard to see us getting anything from this game, after all, they have won all their home games. That said, we have only lost one away so there's hope.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Sep 2018 11:14

John Smith

Hopefully not in our own goal.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 27 Sep 2018 11:21

John Smith A Gunter toe poke from a yard out amongst a melee!

LOL at Gunter being in a Melee

144 posts