BFT - I don’t know what to call it

144 posts
LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: BFT - I don’t know what to call it

by LWJ » 03 Oct 2018 10:57

Tony Le Mesmer The state of some of the comments about the referee.

As per usual, clueless people in the crowd getting it wrong.

My gripe with the referee was with some of his decisions throughout the game. Not the penalties. He did not have a good game.

QPR player should have been booked in the first 10 minutes for his reckless challenge. Studs up, nowhere near the ball, high. Verging on dangerous play.

QPR should have had a foul on the east touchline when Miete wiped out the defenders feet from behind to get the ball.

The obvious corner not given when the QPR played fell on the ball and it rolled from under him out.

3 off the top of my head which were clear and obvious wrong decisions. I make wrong decisions at men's amateur football. Maybe 3-4 a game. These should not happen at FL level.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2018 10:59

strap
genome
Hound Your stats on Aluko were wrong btw. He only played 5 mins against Brentford, and we got a draw.

Woops - rejigged it as I misread the substitution stats for 4 games. Pretty similar PPG though.

With Aluko - P43 W9 D13 L21 - PPG - 0.93
Without Aluko - P9 W1 D3 L5 - PPG - 0.66

PPG is misleading. I should be points per minute based on the score when a played comes on or is subbed off, then multiply that by 90 to get a true PPG. Aluko being on for 5 mins and us getting a draw doesn't equate to him having a PPG if 1 for that game. if the score was unchanged from the time he cam on until the final whistle, then he got 1 point in 5 minutes. Do this for all the game he played in and then multiply the PPM by 90 to PPG. I might try this for him to see if my nonsense is just that or produces something more accurate.

It doesn't. That what I amended, so the Brentford game wasn't included in his stats. For the other games where he was subbed on he played around 20/30 mins in those games apart from a draw against Hull where he was subbed on in the first half.

Would be interested to see your method though

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 03 Oct 2018 11:06

I posed this question recently but I still don't have the answer to what brand of football Clement plays.

He seems to be the ultimate lets work our how the opposition are going to play and then set up to neutralise their strengths.

That works away from home, But it doesn't work at home. We need a far more offensive way of playing at home which we use week in week out. The players will then get used to us playing in that way and hopefully play better. At the moment we look like the away side hoping to scrape a point but finding ourselves losing by the odd goal. At the moment we are losing frequently and timidly. lets at least try and win by playing a more attractive brand of football and if we lose well at least its easier on the eye.

I cannot understand why, when Bod got injured he didn't switch and play 4-4-2 with Mcnulty and Meite up front. We have played that way and looked decent (Birmingham in the cup). if we are going to just play one up front why on earth did we buy Mcnulty. he is clearly going to be better with a partner up front and yet he used the 10 minutes he was on to float about in midfield trying to find the ball. Meite is not the right option if you have one up front.

and another moan. if you decide to make a substitution. Just get on with it. Swift and Sims were standing by Clement for 5 mins and he kept hesitating about bring them on. Once you decide to make a switch, make that switch. He didn't and lo and behold we concede. And then he sends on exactly the same two subs despite the fact its now 1-0 not 0-0. Which basically suggests the scoreline has no impact on what you do in terms of changes. Which is of course nonsense.

and then mcnulty had to wait 4/5 mins to get on which included a period of play where has we had a more accomplished finisher in the box we might have scored.

The inability to deal with the unexpected (be that QPR scoring, Bod getting injured) really worries me.

and finally as others have said - why did he not take into account the impact having a similar team to Norwich game would have on both the support and the team. Aluko isn't playing well. That isn't going to suddenly change just because we have the wind behind our sails when.... Aluko didn't play. Aluko is a momentum stopper both on the pitch and in terms of the crowd and teams confidence. it was oh so predictable.....

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 03 Oct 2018 11:22

Complete and utter rubbish.... just like Norwich all over again, a decent away point the game before and then complete capitulation. What does Clement do to completely demotivate the team.... Oh hang on he probably just announces the starting lineup - that would do it :evil:

Obviously losing Bod before the start upset his plans, but even so where was the fight, the will to win? Have refrained from voting on the CLEMENT thread but getting very close to adding another OUT to the list. Finally starting to understand why someone would run on the pitch and throw his season ticket at a manager...... I will not be returning any time soon.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 03 Oct 2018 11:33

Just been told by someone who watched on telly, that all three "penalties" were dives & the Ref was too embarrassed to issue a third booking.

What were they thinking of-that's just plain dumb .

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2018 11:40

Westwood52 Just been told by someone who watched on telly, that all three "penalties" were dives & the Ref was too embarrassed to issue a third booking.

What were they thinking of-that's just plain dumb .

Put me down in the dumb column then

It was what I thought at the time

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Oct 2018 12:33

Zip
Maneki Neko lol at people expecting a team who have been consistently and utterly awful for ages to suddenly turn it around and win every game playing attractive football.
It will be two baby steps forward and 1 baby step back for most of this season. don't get too ahead of ourselves when we win, don't go doolally metal when we lose.

Nope that’s untrue. I do though expect the team to turn up looking motivated and being more organised that a youth team(reference our continuing dreadful marking at corners).

team that has looked unmotivated and looking disorganised not suddenly becoming completely motivated and organised after a couple of good results

biff

by biff » 03 Oct 2018 12:39

If Gunter spent less time begging for offsides and more time concentrating on his own efforts, maybe he'd look better than a League 2 journeyman.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 03 Oct 2018 13:09

LWJ Somebody explain to me what Kelly does to avoid criticism to the extent of Aluko/Gunter?

The kid is so far out his depth it's unbelievable. Spent most the first half on the last line of defenders, or bottling challengers, or losing the ball or doing fcuk all.

Swift showed us what an actual midfielder does when they move towards the ball and allow people to run in behind /create space etc...

Get rid of the little prick, he's only gone backwards in the last 2 years. Conference football awaits you, Liam.

Still got half an eye on an England call up.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2018 13:16

The worry for me was that we looked like losers almost straight
from kick off. It smelled of a 0-1 or even a 0-2 defeat.

They was no up-and-at-'em, no cracking challenges.

I posted that it looked and sounded like a pre-season game

I'm not saying L1,L2 with hindsight. It's on the match thread.

Getting beat is part of the game, usually 10-20 times a season.

That's OK, but it's the MANNER that is a real worry.

To me it's not the players as individuals, but some missing spirit
(you could call it, say, "Team Spirit")

Is there a faction in the dressing-room, say, or a really bad apple?

I dunno, but it's more than just ability

Having said that, weakening Yiadom's value by playing him on his weaker side (when Gunter is at perfectly capable at LB) is just plain daft.
Barrow was badly off the pace. Looks unfit.
Kelly was almost invisible. Contributed next to nothing.
If OShea was available he should have played with Ilori LB

McNulty must cry watching Meite. Meite may be big and strong but there are lots of big strong players in non-league

Sims must feel the same watching the unfit Barrow, and another Aluko display.

A bad defeat at WBA and we are in serious trouble (again)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 13:18

Snowball The worry for me was that we looked like losers almost straight

Having said that, weakening Yiadom's value by playing him on his weaker side (when Gunter is at perfectly capable at LB) is just plain daft.

McNulty must cry watching Meite. Meite may be big and strong but there are lots of big strong players in non-league

Nice poem. None of it rhymed though.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2018 13:21

Old Man Andrews
Snowball The worry for me was that we looked like losers almost straight

Nice poem. None of it rhymed though.

That's modern poetry for you

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Oct 2018 13:31

All 3 penalty shouts here, 2 yellows, could easily have been 3.

https://twitter.com/ElmParkRoyals/statu ... 4791224320

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 03 Oct 2018 13:39

windermereROYAL All 3 penalty shouts here, 2 yellows, could easily have been 3.

https://twitter.com/ElmParkRoyals/statu ... 4791224320

Shocking from us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 13:51

yeah looked worse than I remember - particularly the 3rd one.

Don't think Meite's was a booking still though. Was contact from the look of it and a reasonable amount of it

Ezatoholi's was abysmal

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 03 Oct 2018 13:52

I decided to stay at home and watch it on the red button, in hindsight a wise move.

You could tell from the team selection and the first 3 minutes that we were a shambles. Some credit to QPR who we stood off and decided not to press so they could walk though us. On the other hand they worked their socks off pressing us all over the field and we just couldn't cope until Swift came on and started beating players. Why can't our players work like that?

I'm not sure where we go from here if Clement can't get the team to work together and keeps jumbling the selection and formation. Maybe it's time to start some of the U23s.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 03 Oct 2018 14:01

Can someone educate me on this new tactic of defending corners by having all 11 players in or on the edge of the penalty area, even when we're level or trailing? I could understand it if we were defending a lead but we're doing it right from the start of matches. Being Reading, of course, we're adding a new twist to the tactic whereby all 11 players stand rigidly still and watch the opposition create space and win free headers. QPR's goal came after a succession of corners and free kicks from which we learned nothing and let one of their players come short to flick-on completely unmarked.
Defending set pieces is basic stuff - if you're going to coach them to all come back for every corner then at least coach them to mark opposition players and not space.
Another noticeable tactical difference last night (particularly in the first half) - QPR chased us down incessantly all over the pitch, using 2 or 3 players to hassle us, so when the ball came loose, there was one of theirs on hand to pick it up. We did neither; no pressure on them when they had the ball, especially when they were in their own half, and when we did challenge, it was with one player so no chance of picking up second balls.
Kelly also guilty of bottling challenges - counted at least 3 times he backed out last night.

Also, I've heard of other teams fining players that got cramp within 90 minutes. This is a matter of fitness and so it's down to our training regime that we had players 'cramping up' at the end of the Brentford game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 14:06

Something definitely seemed to go amiss with the tactics. Could see Kelly was pressing (though not very successfully) and Bacuna to a lesser extent, but because Barrow and Esp Aluko weren’t, there was a huge gap in midfield

Totally different to Hull where Bod, Baldock, Bacuna and Sims pressed them really well.

Real fcuk up from PC somewhere along the line

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 03 Oct 2018 14:10

Not sure what was a worse decision me buying a season ticket this year or Paul Clements team selection last night ?

He said he wants his players to fight for a place in the starting 11 and when they do well he drops them. Why we ever changed the starting 11 yesterday I will never know. I have lost any faith in him as a manager now.

Moving forward I have no idea how we can fix this mess for the long term without being relegated. In January I would rather see us offload 10 players than add anymore to our existing mediocre squad.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Oct 2018 14:14

Problem with this team at 0-0 no matter how poor the opposition is (and no matter how you dress it up QPR were poor) you can always see that goal coming can`t you?
I`m seriously scared what will happen when decent teams come here.
6 wins in the last 29 home league games is abysmal including 15 defeats.

144 posts