Bust up between Clement and Barrow

168 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Bust up between Clement and Barrow

by Sutekh » 25 Oct 2018 09:32

URZZZZ
bcubed Barrow has played 3 full games
So hes hardly been given much of a chance.
If the manager believed in him I'm sure he would have had more games under his belt

Yet Aluko has only played 1 full game this season and is blamed for everything, so surely he hasn't been given much of a chance either? Bringing him in for the odd game, ala QPR is not going to help his confidence, just like Stam bringing in Blackett last year for one every 5 gamed didn't help him either

Aluko has 1 full game yes but he has started v Blackburn, Villa, Sheffield, Preston, Norwich and QPR and played at least an hour in all those games.

He had an injury keeping him out of Forest and Bolton.

He's also been a sub for the last 10 minutes or so at both Brentford and at Birmingham

Think that's enough to blame him as much as anyone else this season, esp. when looking at last season's form as well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Oct 2018 10:12

I blame Aluko for doing absolutely nothing to improve himself from the very first day he got here. He has gone backwards if anything and that just shouldn't be the case at all for a professional footballer. He is putting in as little effort as ever on the pitch so can only imagine what he is like in training. The bloke is clearly struggling but seemingly doing nothing to pull himself out of the hole he is in.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Oct 2018 10:17

The biggest problem with Aluko for me is his constant drifting inside...

Whenever I saw him play for Fulham, he was a threat because he stayed wide and took on the full back. I just can't quite figure out why he keeps running inside with the ball instead of hanging at the edge of the pitch and making runs for others to play him in, like Barrow did last year.

Just a bit baffling that under two different managers noone's told him to stop doing that and play to his strengths.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Oct 2018 10:44

Ascotexgunner Driving home I heard the interview and Clement was saying its between "the club" and Barrow.
I don't know their history but Im wondering if this issue flared up about the time he had off when his wife had a baby. Ive seen many players carry on playing but it did seem odd that he had time off unless there were complications.
We really appear to be in a bad place full stop now. Somethings got to give.
Interesting he mentions club and player rather than himself and player, Maybe they stopped his wages during his time off or fined him for unauthorised time off or something and demanded he return to work? Maybe he isn't getting the right support if he needs it - It could be something the club (not the manager) have done to upset him that has affected his attitude/state of mind/performance leading to the manager having to drop him.... in which case, the manager is at fault for not getting it resolved.

All a mystery really

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Oct 2018 11:33

Rea Ding
Hendo
Rea Ding Mcnulty and Meyler haven't paid off either sadly

Sure, lets write them off on the handful of appearances they have had in a struggling team.

Especially McNulty who has stepped up 2 divisions and played 2 +6 games this season.

What message would that send out to players we are looking to sign? Come and play for Reading but if you don't play well in 5 games with a struggling team, we are going to ship you out in 3 months.

oxf*rd hell.

Never said we should get rid of either of them, but both didn't even make the bench and we are ending October so they haven't exactly stared that well

Myler was injured before the international break and McNulty has been on the bench twice out of the 4 games so far this month and every game in September, so yeah, not making the bench is he?

The way you worded your comment and combined it with the 'deadwood' selling comment suggested that they wouldn't be in your plans going forward and would look to sell them.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Oct 2018 11:34

genome The biggest problem with Aluko for me is his constant drifting inside...

Whenever I saw him play for Fulham, he was a threat because he stayed wide and took on the full back. I just can't quite figure out why he keeps running inside with the ball instead of hanging at the edge of the pitch and making runs for others to play him in, like Barrow did last year.

Just a bit baffling that under two different managers noone's told him to stop doing that and play to his strengths.

Careful genome, otherwise the "you're not as qualified as a manager so you don't know what you're talking about" crew with be out.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Oct 2018 13:54

They probably watch him in training longing balls around accurately and tell him to "play his natural game" when he comes on/starts.

His positional indiscipline is the largest factor in my hate for him. The last thing a team like ours needs (and indeed needed last season) is a free roaming winger. Takes the shape and decisiveness out of any counter attack and ruins the rhythm of any sustained build up play.

Thank God for McCleary coming back. If he finds even half the form he had 2 seasons ago we should see a rise in chance creation. In fact if he maintains fitness and Yiadom stays on the right (WHERE HE BELINGS CLEMENT!) then we could see a huge improvement in both performances and results.

I would argue that if we manage a run with a starting 11 of:
------------Goalkeeper
Yiadom--Ilori--Moore--Blackett
--------------Ezatolahi
--------Bacuna----Swift
McCleary------------------Baldock
-------------Bod/Meite

Then we have every chance of easily avoiding the drop and surging up to the dizzying heights low mid table.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Oct 2018 14:40

NewCorkSeth

They probably watch him in training longing balls around accurately and tell him to "play his natural game" when he comes on/starts.

His positional indiscipline is the largest factor in my hate for him. The last thing a team like ours needs (and indeed needed last season) is a free roaming winger. Takes the shape and decisiveness out of any counter attack and ruins the rhythm of any sustained build up play.

Thank God for McCleary coming back. If he finds even half the form he had 2 seasons ago we should see a rise in chance creation. In fact if he maintains fitness and Yiadom stays on the right (WHERE HE BELINGS CLEMENT!) then we could see a huge improvement in both performances and results.

------------Goalkeeper
--------------Ezatolahi
--------Bacuna----Swift
-------------Bod/Meite

Then we have every chance of easily avoiding the drop and surging up to the dizzying heights low mid table.

The trouble is we can never get this lot fit at the same time. I would like to see Barrow in there because he has the pace to go down the line and cut the ball back. None of our other wingers can do that. Pace hurts.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Oct 2018 14:43

Zip
NewCorkSeth

------------Goalkeeper
--------------Ezatolahi
--------Bacuna----Swift
-------------Bod/Meite

The trouble is we can never get this lot fit at the same time. I would like to see Barrow in there because he has the pace to go down the line and cut the ball back. None of our other wingers can do that. Pace hurts.

This. And if he's not about put Harriott out there. Him on one side and McCarthy on the other being pacey and direct is what we need from wingers/wide players not this pathetic dribbly cut inside routine all the time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Oct 2018 14:52

Sutekh
Zip
NewCorkSeth They probably watch him in training longing balls around accurately and tell him to "play his natural game" when he comes on/starts.

------------Goalkeeper
--------------Ezatolahi
--------Bacuna----Swift
-------------Bod/Meite

This. And if he's not about put Harriott out there. Him on one side and McCarthy on the other being pacey and direct is what we need from wingers/wide players not this pathetic dribbly cut inside routine all the time.

Didn't want to say Barrow for fear of Ian Royal posting a " :lol: " and suggesting that any opinion other than his is blasphemy.

I'm not a fan of playing players out of position but Baldock has shown a good work ethic, will probably not get a look in at CF and we have won every game he has started on the left wing (I think?)

Also I will gladly fight anyone who suggest Callum Harriott for a starting role. The guy looked poor when he played and is fast becoming the new Popa.. remember when everyone was suggesting he might be the answer to our AMR problem?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Oct 2018 14:58

NewCorkSeth
Sutekh
Zip

Didn't want to say Barrow for fear of Ian Royal posting a " :lol: " and suggesting that any opinion other than his is blasphemy.

I'm not a fan of playing players out of position but Baldock has shown a good work ethic, will probably not get a look in at CF and we have won every game he has started on the left wing (I think?)

Also I will gladly fight anyone who suggest Callum Harriott for a starting role. The guy looked poor when he played and is fast becoming the new Popa.. remember when everyone was suggesting he might be the answer to our AMR problem?

I like Baldock. He has done well down the left side in our wins v Hull and Millwall plus he is now scoring too. He is a subtle, clever player. For now I would play him on the left, Bodvarsson on the right and Meite at centre forward with Barrow and Sims off the bench if needed. I think Bod, Baldock and Meite have contributed something like 14 League goals so far this season. All of them are in the goals at the moment so should be confident.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Oct 2018 15:39

NewCorkSeth
Sutekh
Zip

don't be scared of Ian Royal (or any member of C1871 as a matter of fact). He is a harmless butterfly.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Oct 2018 16:33

Sutekh This. And if he's not about put Harriott out there. Him on one side and McCarthy on the other being pacey and direct is what we need from wingers/wide players not this pathetic dribbly cut inside routine all the time.

Who?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2018 16:37

Zip
NewCorkSeth

------------Goalkeeper
--------------Ezatolahi
--------Bacuna----Swift
-------------Bod/Meite

Agree with that side - if we could keep it together, relegation won’t be an issue

Barrow is a great impact sub. Sims useful as well in the bench along with Meite/Bod

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Oct 2018 16:55

NewCorkSeth Also I will gladly fight anyone who suggest Callum Harriott for a starting role. The guy looked poor when he played and is fast becoming the new Popa.. remember when everyone was suggesting he might be the answer to our AMR problem?

In peace. I thought Harriott was improving. Scored some cracking goals as well. With a great left foot. Something Barrow lacks. Lots of pace however little end product.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Oct 2018 17:47

Lower West
NewCorkSeth Also I will gladly fight anyone who suggest Callum Harriott for a starting role. The guy looked poor when he played and is fast becoming the new Popa.. remember when everyone was suggesting he might be the answer to our AMR problem?

In peace. I thought Harriott was improving. Scored some cracking goals as well. With a great left foot. Something Barrow lacks. Lots of pace however little end product.

Ten goals and six assists is pretty good for someone with little end product!
I did like the look of Harriott. My last memory was him smashing the ball into the net against Norwich on Boxing Day 2016. I don’t think he has played for the first team since.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2018 18:14

Very revisionist to say Harriott played badly when he was fit last millenia.

Can we stop comparing the Barrow situation to Aluko playing please? It's not really even remotely comparable. Aluko's been dropped for poor performance for a start and there's no indication he has had a discipline problem.

Fact is, Barrow has been confirmed as having had a discipline issue - something very unusual in itself. Failing to act on that would be toxic to a squad already in trouble. Even if Barrow had been tearing it up this season he'd need to be dropped. And he hasn't. It's a long old season and you have to play the long game and maintain discipline.

If Clement didn't act on discipline problems he might as well just quit now.

If Barrow sorts himself out I've no doubt he'll be back in the squad in a few games. If he doesn't he has to go regardless of how good he might be.

This is a player who managed to not fall out withStam despite him being utterly incompetent last season. He ought to be able to stay on the good side of Clement who has done far less wrong.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Oct 2018 19:58

Lower West

In peace I have not watched him play since his last first team appearance. I remember his handball in the box going unpunished and I remember him being distinctly average for the most part and inexperienced to the point where he often chose the wrong pass or took a touch too many (so perfect for this team)

Revisionism seems to be on those who look back with rose tinted glasses.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Oct 2018 21:23

We're told it's a disciplinary issue but that could cover a multitude of sins, some of which might not be that serious. Could Clement/the Club be overreacting? Has Barrow fallen foul of what, given the dire situation the team is in, might be regarded as a rather petty rule?

One thing's certain, it's a good job Clement wasn't in charge when Robin Friday blessed us with his presence!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2018 21:25

RoyalBlue We're told it's a disciplinary issue but that could cover a multitude of sins, some of which might not be that serious. Could Clement/the Club be overreacting? Has Barrow fallen foul of what, given the dire situation the team is in, might be regarded as a rather petty rule?

One thing's certain, it's a good job Clement wasn't in charge when Robin Friday blessed us with his presence!

You know what, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Clement wouldn't drop someone and publicly say it was for a disciplinary issue for a minor unimportant misdemeanor.

168 posts