Whats wrong with our training???

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Whats wrong with our training???

by BR0B0T » 02 Nov 2018 22:08

Zip
Sutekh Got to say though the continual number of injuries this club manages to pick up in training since Stam arrived beggars belief and is beyond "bad luck". There must be something wrong somewhere, if not with training itself then the general approach to and player fitness.

Just look back to the glory years under Coppell. We simply didn’t have this level of injuries on a constant basis. Perhaps players are less willing to play through niggly injuries.

Is there any way we can check that, I'd be quite interested in it.

I can remember Colin oxf*rd commenting on us having the same back four pretty much throughout (rem Makin being used a bit)

In the midfield we always had at least two of Harper, Gunnarson or Sidwell available

Up front same situation of usually having 2 of Kitson, Doyle, Lita

In both situations, you could argue about the most effective combos esp up front.

Little and Convey defo the choice for the wings but backed up well by Hunt and Oster

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Nov 2018 22:09

^^^actually, suppose we could look at the matchday squad and figure it out

or ask the main man with the database

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Nov 2018 23:06

BR0B0T ^^^actually, suppose we could look at the matchday squad and figure it out

or ask the main man with the database

In 2005/06 eight of the side started at least 40 League games. How many of the current squad will manage that this season? Moore probably, Yiadom maybe...I wouldn’t put money on anybody else reaching that figure.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Nov 2018 23:08

Yes, the 2005-06 team was amazing for its consistent first 11

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Nov 2018 08:21

Snowball Yes, the 2005-06 team was amazing for its consistent first 11

Didn’t Villa win the title in 1981 using only 14 players or something?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2018 09:11

BR0B0T
paddy20
BR0B0T
tell me the mean number* of injuries throughout the league and what standard deviation RFC is from it

if you don't know it, you shouldn't really be commenting as you're guessing

Stats are fine of course but having watched Reading for 56 years just don't remember so many injuries. I understand we still have free speech in the UK so I reserve the right to put my point of view as I support your right to disagree. I might also add statisticians don't make great businessmen but that would perhaps be unkind.

so you're basing it on incorrect memory recall with added human bias without bothering to actually check...magic!

You're second st8ment is also not based on fact

Brobot, I know you hate to hear this, but sometimes there aren't stats to look up and anecdotal evidence and experience is all you have. And it can be pretty reliable at times.

Given there is no reliable source of published data on injury numbers and lay off lengths, we go with what we have to judge. Decades of experience.

Life is about more than a database mate.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Nov 2018 09:41

Hound some of our injuries (Harriott, Richards, Clement, Popa and Edwards) have probably made little difference to the first team either

The only injuries that have really affected us are Bod, Eza and to a lesser extent Baldock

Harriott, Popa and Clement are not injured. They're out of favour.

Harriott has been fit for months.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 03 Nov 2018 10:31

BR0B0T
paddy20
BR0B0T
tell me the mean number* of injuries throughout the league and what standard deviation RFC is from it

if you don't know it, you shouldn't really be commenting as you're guessing

Stats are fine of course but having watched Reading for 56 years just don't remember so many injuries. I understand we still have free speech in the UK so I reserve the right to put my point of view as I support your right to disagree. I might also add statisticians don't make great businessmen but that would perhaps be unkind.

so you're basing it on incorrect memory recall with added human bias without bothering to actually check...magic!

Really BROBOT have you any statistical evidence that my statement (I prefer to call it a point of view) is incorrect or that my memory recall is wrong? Stats can be used to prove or disprove pretty much anything. Don't underestimate gut feelings. Its the difference between Human nature and artificial intelligence.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Nov 2018 10:42

Royal_jimmy
Hound some of our injuries (Harriott, Richards, Clement, Popa and Edwards) have probably made little difference to the first team either

The only injuries that have really affected us are Bod, Eza and to a lesser extent Baldock

Popa has an ankle injury since August though it is reported he is supposedly about to rejoin training. IMO he should be considered when match fit as he is a step up on Aluko (not that that says much of course).

Harriott has had serious injury problems and been out of the game for 20 months. He's just come back at the same time as McCleary but it's no surprise he's not been selected thus far given his severe lack of match fitness and inexperience (he is still only 24). He looked a pretty lively and decent left winger when he did play but it's so long ago now it's difficult remember.

Pelle Clement just disappeared and no-one cared/noticed enough to ask the management where he was but PC did say this week he was expected to rejoin training shortly so he's obviously been injured too.

Which, I think, means whether they're out of favour or not with PC still remains to be seen.

Unless of course it's all a conspiracy and none have been been injured.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2018 10:48

Sutekh
Royal_jimmy

Popa has an ankle injury since August though it is reported he is supposedly about to rejoin training. IMO he should be considered when match fit as he is a step up on Aluko (not that that says much of course).

Harriott has had serious injury problems and been out of the game for 20 months. He's just come back at the same time as McCleary but it's no surprise he's not been selected thus far given his severe lack of match fitness and inexperience (he is still only 24). He looked a pretty lively and decent left winger when he did play but it's so long ago now it's difficult remember.

Pelle Clement just disappeared and no-one cared/noticed enough to ask the management where he was but PC did say this week he was expected to rejoin training shortly so he's obviously been injured too.

Which, I think, means whether they're out of favour or not with PC still remains to be seen.

Unless of course it's all a conspiracy and none have been been injured.

Boo, vote Trump. MRGA

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Nov 2018 11:09

Harriott was in training 7 months ago. I saw it with my own eyes. He's out of favour.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Nov 2018 11:46

paddy20
BR0B0T
paddy20

Really BROBOT have you any statistical evidence that my statement (I prefer to call it a point of view) is incorrect or that my memory recall is wrong? Stats can be used to prove or disprove pretty much anything. Don't underestimate gut feelings. Its the difference between Human nature and artificial intelligence.

look, there's a well established scientific process for uncovering the truth

You made a hypothesis that the number of injuries is down to medical staff/training/whatever. This may be true

it's pretty easy to look up which players are injured, what injury etc it's all over the internet (physioroom.com, this forum etc)

Then you figure out how similar is this to other clubs over an appropriate timescale. If ours is significantly worse (it probably isn't) then you try and figure out what it's down to. This is the start point

There are a lot of player collisions in the game that may result in injury. I'd guess that these are fairly randomly distributed and some teams are going to be luckier than others.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2018 12:31

Royal_jimmy Harriott was in training 7 months ago. I saw it with my own eyes. He's out of favour.

You're right, it's totally unrealistic to think he might have had a breakdown or set back like the one that was spoken about ages ago. I agree there's a clear conspiracy in place that's lasted through two managers to hide the fact that an inexperienced squad player with potential isn't in favour. If that got out boy would it be curtains for everyone involved.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2018 12:35

BR0B0T
paddy20
BR0B0T

You made a hypothesis that the number of injuries is down to medical staff/training/whatever. This may be true

it's pretty easy to look up which players are injured, what injury etc it's all over the internet (physioroom.com, this forum etc)

Then you figure out how similar is this to other clubs over an appropriate timescale. If ours is significantly worse (it probably isn't) then you try and figure out what it's down to. This is the start point

There are a lot of player collisions in the game that may result in injury. I'd guess that these are fairly randomly distributed and some teams are going to be luckier than others.

You realise none of that datais very reliable and that you're also making a hypothesis without having looked at any of the data right?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Nov 2018 13:20

Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T
paddy20

You realise none of that datais very reliable and that you're also making a hypothesis without having looked at any of the data right?

I didn't make any hypothesis, the OP has suggested something is wrong with the medical/training staff. He's basing this on observation i.e a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation. Then you collect more evidence to try and disprove it until you can't

The data available is more accurate than not unless you think it's all a conspiracy

What else are you proposing?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Nov 2018 14:12

Royal_jimmy Harriott was in training 7 months ago. I saw it with my own eyes. He's out of favour.

Harriott relapsed. He them managed to get a game in pre season at Eastleigh but picked up another injury which he has only just got back from.

No idea if he’s the same player now or whether he’s just going to keep going down with problems but he obviously needs some game time somewhere to see how he progresses.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2018 18:34

BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T

I didn't make any hypothesis, the OP has suggested something is wrong with the medical/training staff. He's basing this on observation i.e a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation. Then you collect more evidence to try and disprove it until you can't

The data available is more accurate than not unless you think it's all a conspiracy

You made a hypothesis that injuries are randomly distributed, without offering any data to support it from I'mright.com

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Nov 2018 18:51

Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal You realise none of that datais very reliable and that you're also making a hypothesis without having looked at any of the data right?

You made a hypothesis that injuries are randomly distributed, without offering any data to support it from I'mright.com

Look up what hypothesis means m8. I can make the observation (based on observation) that players colliding mimics something like Brownian motion i.e. fairly random

The next bit of the process is to try and disprove this until I've exhausted all the possibilities

Ian...do us all a favour and get laid tonight. If need be the lads from AE will chip in with any costs!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2018 13:34

BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T

Look up what hypothesis means m8. I can make the observation (based on observation) that players colliding mimics something like Brownian motion i.e. fairly random

The next bit of the process is to try and disprove this until I've exhausted all the possibilities

Ian...do us all a favour and get laid tonight. If need be the lads from AE will chip in with any costs!

Wiz's wife is up for it by all accounts.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Nov 2018 14:27

BR0B0T
Zip
Sutekh Got to say though the continual number of injuries this club manages to pick up in training since Stam arrived beggars belief and is beyond "bad luck". There must be something wrong somewhere, if not with training itself then the general approach to and player fitness.

Just look back to the glory years under Coppell. We simply didn’t have this level of injuries on a constant basis. Perhaps players are less willing to play through niggly injuries.

Is there any way we can check that, I'd be quite interested in it.

I can remember Colin oxf*rd commenting on us having the same back four pretty much throughout (rem Makin being used a bit)

In the midfield we always had at least two of Harper, Gunnarson or Sidwell available

Up front same situation of usually having 2 of Kitson, Doyle, Lita

In both situations, you could argue about the most effective combos esp up front.

Little and Convey defo the choice for the wings but backed up well by Hunt and Oster
The 106 team had incredible fitness too, they didn't dilly dally when it came to taking corners and the like - I remember Glenn Little running down past the West Lower to take a corner in the North/West corner and the ball boy/girl had put it in place ready, he didn't break stride, just ran down and kicked it in taking the opposition (and no doubt some of his team mates) unawares - I think we scored from that.

Also, before the 106 team and after in the McDermott era, we had great fitness and would score late winners as a result.