BFTG - Ipshit H

206 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Ipshit H

by SCIAG » 16 Nov 2018 19:46

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Stam did a decent job first season, with decent signings and massively benefited from McDermott's signing of Kermorgant.

He took over a side that had been plagued by useless loanees who didn't give a toss and built something around the solid core. But his side was always incredibly fragile and vulnerable.

He also had the same issue as Rodgers, he had an ethos and he wasn't prepared to compromise it, and he wasn't capable of communicating it to limited players low on form and confidence.

The side Clement inherited was much more damaged and less capable of recovery than Stam. He couldn't just wave good bye to most of the problem players because they were loanees and build around a solid core.

Clement had no midfield spine, oxf*rd all upfront and one fit proper full back and piss all on the wings except Barrow.

Stam's issues were less widespread.

Just one note: Stam did benefit from the signing of Kermorgant but he certainly got the most out of him. We had all written Kermie off after his games under McDermott.

Yep. In that first season Stam had a core side of about 14 players. Of those, he signed Moore, Blackett, Joey, Swift, and Beerens, and also brought Kelly, Evans, and Kermorgant into the team properly. That leaves Al-Habsi, Gunter, Obita, McShane, Williams, and McCleary. Could throw in Harriott and the January signings, but that just makes it more "Stam's side".

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Nov 2018 20:08

Lower West
Snowball Atrocious enough to finish third and get 0-0 at Wembley in the PO Final?

Neither semi final or the final suggested that the team had any calibre. Remind me how many chances we created and goals were scored in 270 minutes of football.

I'm not Stam's biggest fan but flipping the argument, how many chances did we give away in the 300 minutes of football. Stam's performance vs Fulham in the playoffs was arguably the best I've seen in a long long time, he completely outsmarted them.

However, in my eyes, he undid all that work with an equally awful team selection vs Huddersfield, I still believe had he gone 4-3-3 with Garath and Roy on the wings, we'd have won, but he stuck with 5 at the back with no pace or creativity, almost like he wanted to go to penalties. After his selection and football that game, I'd been very pleased to see him go and he was naturally found out in the second season with his move from a structured 11 to people (Aluko and Bacuna) walking round the pitch freely not really taking up any position

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Nov 2018 20:54

Lower West
Snowball Atrocious enough to finish third and get 0-0 at Wembley in the PO Final?

Neither semi final or the final suggested that the team had any calibre. Remind me how many chances we created and goals were scored in 270 minutes of football.

I think maybe you miss the point. Mostly I hated that season. I am one of those who would join the chant “False Third” and be ridiculed by some.

But a side that finishes third (however false) then beats Fulham over two legs, then draws at Wembley (yes I thought we were dire)

Must surely have SOME quality?

How does such a side (-2 but then with additions) do SO badly the next season?

A dull 7th/8th, OK, but half a point a game for 19 games?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Nov 2018 20:54

Lower West

I think maybe you miss the point. Mostly I hated that season. I am one of those who would join the chant “False Third” and be ridiculed by some.

But a side that finishes third (however false) then beats Fulham over two legs, then draws at Wembley (yes I thought we were dire)

How does such a side (-2 but then with additions) do SO badly the next season?

A dull 7th/8th, OK, but half a point a game for 19 games?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Nov 2018 23:14

Snowball

The dying dregs of a quality striker plus a knack of winning penalties (and scoring off the rebounds). We also rode our luck on occasions.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Nov 2018 23:38

Lower West

That PO final was abysmal. Two teams intent on trying not to lose. Still it’s the Reading way to regularly find new ways to lose in play off finals. Looking forward to the next failure already.

206 posts