In
52%
Ian
7%

Total votes: 99
fred sharpes nose

Re: The very latest in Clement In/Out Polls

by fred sharpes nose » 12 Nov 2018 21:22

IN - I think PC has got what it takes for the long term success of the club. Lets face it he is an inexperienced manager - about two seasons worth of games under his belt now with various clubs ? He is learning and with a sound coaching background could well succeed long term. I sense though he is a bit isolated by the poor/dysfunctional set up around and above him. If we still had Sir John Brian Howe and Nicky Hammond in place I think they would help him through this a lot more than the current mob. I don't think he is the problem, moreover I can't see him on his own turning this club around. The causes of our malaise lie elsewhere

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Nov 2018 22:45

leon
This is extremely interesting. You think Clement is in tune with the club like McDermott was?

Brian was an internal promotion. Different era now. One dynasty has ended and another just started. Remember the crap football under Pardew at the beginning. Eventually left us for bigger and better things.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Nov 2018 12:17

Lower West
leon
This is extremely interesting. You think Clement is in tune with the club like McDermott was?

Brian was an internal promotion. Different era now. One dynasty has ended and another just started. Remember the crap football under Pardew at the beginning. Eventually left us for bigger and better things.

With Hurst gone from Ipswich (after doing wonders at Shrewsbury) and Askey now gone from Shrewsbury (after doing wonders at Macclesfield )and both only having had just this season's games in charge I would have thought our man must be feeling very edgy right now.
He is in a similar position to Phil Brown at Swindon who had part of last season and has now been sacked with them in the lower reaches of their division.
I suspect if he is to be sacked it will be within the next couple of days for reasons already stated by others (time to look at what we have got before the next transfer window).

I expect the club to do the wrong thing in many people's eyes and wait until we hit rock bottom and then spend a few weeks looking for a manager, by which time the window will have closed.
If we surprisingly do well in these next few games I think that cements Clement's position for the season and the club will be seen as doing the right thing.
Who would want to run a football club?
Who would want to work in such an erratic industry?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 13 Nov 2018 13:26

Victor Meldrew
Lower West
leon

With Hurst gone from Ipswich (after doing wonders at Shrewsbury) and Askey now gone from Shrewsbury (after doing wonders at Macclesfield )and both only having had just this season's games in charge I would have thought our man must be feeling very edgy right now.

He is in a similar position to Phil Brown at Swindon who had part of last season and has now been sacked with them in the lower reaches of their division.

I suspect if he is to be sacked it will be within the next couple of days for reasons already stated by others (time to look at what we have got before the next transfer window).

I expect the club to do the wrong thing in many people's eyes and wait until we hit rock bottom and then spend a few weeks looking for a manager, by which time the window will have closed.

If we surprisingly do well in these next few games I think that cements Clement's position for the season and the club will be seen as doing the right thing.

Vic, any chance you could double space your lines after you hit return (I changed it above)...otherwise difficult to read

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 13 Nov 2018 13:55

You can't spell 'Ian Royal' without IN.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Nov 2018 14:06

RoyalBlue
Top Flight Ascot, you think a new manager will do better in a January window than Clement? A new manager will come in clueless about this team and will spend the next 6 months finding out about them all.

Clement has already been through that process of learning about this bunch of players and knows better than anyone else what improvements need to be made. This constant kneejerking is leading us to League One.

He hardly did well with his summer signings did he. Sticking with Clement who keeps telling us the problems, 'repetition, repetition, repetition' but appears to do little about resolving them, will certainly send us to League 1.

Royal Blue in 'Negative post shocker...'

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 13 Nov 2018 14:08

i still think Clement should get one window without Tevreden.
After that, he's fair game.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Nov 2018 16:42

BR0B0T
Victor Meldrew
Lower West

Vic, any chance you could double space your lines after you hit return (I changed it above)...otherwise difficult to read

I do with E-mails and letters as I care a bit more about those that are going to read the content.

I agree that it can be really annoying reading block text and poor spelling/grammar (Brendy) so thank you for pointing this out and I take it as a compliment that you have bothered to read it. :wink:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Nov 2018 16:50

BR0B0T

Noel Hunt appointed as assistant manager today.

Power is the problem at Swindon I suspect. Like Reading there's been a succession of managers over the past few years. The soul has left the club. Ground is quiet on matchdays. The team is currently lacking any real goal threat and little creativity in midfield.

I do wonder if Power has bitten off more than he can chew. Bought into Waterford as well. Though steps are under way to jointly purchase the ground from the council. With a mix of club and supporters money. Make a good community club like Portsmouth. .

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Nov 2018 17:25

Tilehurstsouthbank
RoyalBlue
Top Flight Ascot, you think a new manager will do better in a January window than Clement? A new manager will come in clueless about this team and will spend the next 6 months finding out about them all.

Clement has already been through that process of learning about this bunch of players and knows better than anyone else what improvements need to be made. This constant kneejerking is leading us to League One.

He hardly did well with his summer signings did he. Sticking with Clement who keeps telling us the problems, 'repetition, repetition, repetition' but appears to do little about resolving them, will certainly send us to League 1.

I think Clement has actually done pretty well with his summer signings. We now have several decent options up front. Baldock has added a new dimension to our attacking play. McNulty looks very tidy with lots of clever movement and intelligent passes. If he gets more game time I think he could do pretty well for us. Meite tied down on a long term contract is now looking like a masterstroke from Clement. It makes all those pathetic moaners and complainers look rather idiotic now. Yiadom has been a fantastic signing and has managed to displace the vastly experienced Chris Gunter from the line-up. Meyler didn't live up to expectations but Ezatolahi looks like he will be the Real Deal for RFC. He reminds me of a young Steve Sidwell. The more he plays for us the better and better he will get.

O'Shea is a real leader at the back and wins everything in the air. Sims was looking a really good player. I'm not sure why he seems to be out of the picture completely at the moment. He is certainly a better option than Aluko. Maybe its the fact that he is a loan and there is no chance he will be joining us permanently so our own players must take priority.

If this is how well Clement has done with his first transfer window at the club, then I have to say that it is very impressive. He hasn't really got a lot wrong with those additions. He operated very astutely from an initial window. Looking to solve several of the problems that we have whilst his hands have been tied and he couldn't necessarily get the final solution in each position. It is as impressive a window of signings that I have seen from any Reading manager. He really has addressed many of the problems that we had.

Of course there is much more that needs to be done. He has to move players on and comply with Financial Fair Play before he can get the very best centre back or wide players or top striker. But for an opening window he has done a great job. I really hope he gets many more windows to work with because Clement is an absolutely top drawer manager. He will take us far if we give him the chance.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Nov 2018 19:21

Top Flight
Tilehurstsouthbank
RoyalBlue

I think Clement has actually done pretty well with his summer signings. We now have several decent options up front. Baldock has added a new dimension to our attacking play. McNulty looks very tidy with lots of clever movement and intelligent passes. If he gets more game time I think he could do pretty well for us. Meite tied down on a long term contract is now looking like a masterstroke from Clement. It makes all those pathetic moaners and complainers look rather idiotic now. Yiadom has been a fantastic signing and has managed to displace the vastly experienced Chris Gunter from the line-up. Meyler didn't live up to expectations but Ezatolahi looks like he will be the Real Deal for RFC. He reminds me of a young Steve Sidwell. The more he plays for us the better and better he will get.

O'Shea is a real leader at the back and wins everything in the air. Sims was looking a really good player. I'm not sure why he seems to be out of the picture completely at the moment. He is certainly a better option than Aluko. Maybe its the fact that he is a loan and there is no chance he will be joining us permanently so our own players must take priority.

If this is how well Clement has done with his first transfer window at the club, then I have to say that it is very impressive. He hasn't really got a lot wrong with those additions. He operated very astutely from an initial window. Looking to solve several of the problems that we have whilst his hands have been tied and he couldn't necessarily get the final solution in each position. It is as impressive a window of signings that I have seen from any Reading manager. He really has addressed many of the problems that we had.

Of course there is much more that needs to be done. He has to move players on and comply with Financial Fair Play before he can get the very best centre back or wide players or top striker. But for an opening window he has done a great job. I really hope he gets many more windows to work with because Clement is an absolutely top drawer manager. He will take us far if we give him the chance.

I wish I could get some of what you're on.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 13 Nov 2018 21:39

Good Nobbing all of you on this.

Clexit or Clemain?

Ironic and whilst there are lesser stark similarities here, obviously, I get the feeling it'll come down to a roll of the dice in both respects and ultimately we'll probably get it wrong.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Nov 2018 22:16

Well not too much activity now on the poll. only a few weeks to wait till the next one.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Nov 2018 22:19

leon

SAD kicking in. :?:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Nov 2018 23:24

Lower West
leon

SAD kicking in. :?:

No, the blokes as high as a kite.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2018 23:28

In winning 51% to 41% is a bit of a surprise to me. I'd assumed it would be 60+ Out. Reading fans aren't as bad as I thought.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 13 Nov 2018 23:37

Cape Town Royal In - but its a 60/40 decision

Was not a fan of the appointment, but he seems to have identified the issue with this group is down to mindset and attitude rather than raw talent.

I think we have a tough January window ahead of us. We need to get players out but we also need to strengthen in some key areas and he has worked with this squad to know what is needed. I think the Ezra signing showed that. We had signed Meyler, yes it did not go well so quickly found an upgrade..

Our issue is too much dead wood, if we bring in a new manager he will want to bring in even more and that means an over bloated squad and we become Sunderland, with lots of players who know they have no future.

Hopefully Clement can identify the 1-2 we need to shape this team, get those out sold/or loans who have no interest in being here and then we become leaner and more hungry.

He is there, working with them, can see it day in day out.. give him the window but back him for the changes we need to make even if that means doing deals to get the wasters off the books. This is as much about the club backing Clement with in's and out's as Clement himself.

Well said and well put, the squad is far to big and needs a big over haul. Shift 7 or 8 of the dead wood and underachieving players and bring in a few of the u23s to compliment and freshen up the squad. However, i'm not to sure Clement really wants to blood the youngsters.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Nov 2018 00:02

Crowbar6753
Cape Town Royal In - but its a 60/40 decision

Was not a fan of the appointment, but he seems to have identified the issue with this group is down to mindset and attitude rather than raw talent.

I think we have a tough January window ahead of us. We need to get players out but we also need to strengthen in some key areas and he has worked with this squad to know what is needed. I think the Ezra signing showed that. We had signed Meyler, yes it did not go well so quickly found an upgrade..

Our issue is too much dead wood, if we bring in a new manager he will want to bring in even more and that means an over bloated squad and we become Sunderland, with lots of players who know they have no future.

Hopefully Clement can identify the 1-2 we need to shape this team, get those out sold/or loans who have no interest in being here and then we become leaner and more hungry.

He is there, working with them, can see it day in day out.. give him the window but back him for the changes we need to make even if that means doing deals to get the wasters off the books. This is as much about the club backing Clement with in's and out's as Clement himself.

Well said and well put, the squad is far to big and needs a big over haul. Shift 7 or 8 of the dead wood and underachieving players and bring in a few of the u23s to compliment and freshen up the squad. However, i'm not to sure Clement really wants to blood the youngsters.

Why do you say that? He has recently blooded Rinomhota into the side. If a youngster is good enough then they will be blooded in. That is the way it has to be. Do we want to just be a development/feeder club? One that develops youngsters and then sells them on? Or do we want to be a club with our own ambitions of playing top flight football and try to put out the best eleven we can possibly get our hands on and go for promotion?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Nov 2018 11:31

leon
Top Flight
Tilehurstsouthbank

+1

Is Top Flight for real?
Meyler, McNulty and Sims don't play.
Walker has got the odd game but looks to be the 3rd choice keeper.
Yiadom after a bright start has gone backwards
O'Shea-really? He is costing the club £1,000,000 for one season and is now part of that sick joke of a defence of ours.
Eza-too early to say how he will turn out.
Baldock is doing o.k.

Add-in Moore ,Swift and Barrow also going backwards ( but in fairness countered by a plus in getting something out of Meite and being brave/sensible enough to drop Aluko).

Hardly a successful window IMHO and we are joint 2nd bottom.
It would be no surprise if he were asked to leave based on results as I expect if the owners are as impatient as most of their fellow owners they didn't expect us to be where we are now.

BTW posters seem to think that he (or a new man) will have money to spend in January ;let's hope so but I don't see it as a given.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Nov 2018 11:48

'getting something out of Meite'. Done a bit better than that tbf