Are we really going down this season

247 posts
Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: Are we really going down this season

by Kitsondinho » 01 Jan 2019 18:09

Dr_Hfuhruhurr The bottom 3 now are going to be the bottom three at the end of the season, arent they? 3 teams with problems, who have all just recorded a dismal result. For any scenario where 'Parkinson stays up at our expense' will require Parkinson still being in charge at Bolton at the end of the season.

I still think Rotherham will go down instead of Bolton, but it does seem increasingly likely that Parky will get the boot. So I may have to retract my ‘he keeps Bolton up at our expense scenario’....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 18:18

Dr_Hfuhruhurr The bottom 3 now are going to be the bottom three at the end of the season, arent they? 3 teams with problems, who have all just recorded a dismal result. For any scenario where 'Parkinson stays up at our expense' will require Parkinson still being in charge at Bolton at the end of the season.

Yep. 3 awful teams. Rotherham winning a huge blow as they are equally shit, but now have that gap of points

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Jan 2019 18:21

Ipswich are gone now for me.

We are nearly gone too. Expect we will be by the end of the month too when we end up being 13 games without a win. We just don't create enough chances to win games.

Not looking well for Bolton either. Rotherhams home form will keep them up. Only team who may get sucked in is Wigan.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 01 Jan 2019 18:44

Hound

Yep. 3 awful teams. Rotherham winning a huge blow as they are equally shit, but now have that gap of points

We go down no question no doubt

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Jan 2019 19:04

For me, today was a tipping point.

I've felt all season we could go down, but always felt we were likely to somehow just about scrape survival. Now I feel it's gone the other way, and it will actually be quite difficult to survive.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 19:14

Feel that sacking PC really was a poor move, esp at that time. Weve looked certainties to go down ever since

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 01 Jan 2019 19:47

At least Blackpool away is something to look forward to next season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jan 2019 20:45

Hound Feel that sacking PC really was a poor move, esp at that time. Weve looked certainties to go down ever since

Agree.

I thought we were almost certainly doomed after just six games - with a total lack of fight and utterly clueless play and team selection. Clement started turning that around and I thought we had a chance of staying up. But the combination of sacking him and then taking three / four weeks to appoint someone with no Championship experience and, tbh, an uninspiring managerial record who wants to "control the game and play out from the back" has all but guaranteed our relegation with more than four months to play.

The good news is Birmingham were rock bottom on 20 points this time last year, and survived. The bad news is Sunderland had 22, Burton had 24 and Barnsley had 26, so we've really got to buck up our points haul.

Ipswich already look dead and buried with just 15.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 01 Jan 2019 20:57

This is the biggest transfer window in the clubs history & Bolton away on the 26th absolutely huge - those two will determine it for me.

Only thing I blame the owners for is appointing and giving Gourlay so much trust & time. The summer transfer window in 2017 after the P.O. final has absolutely crippled us and I hold BT (why people want him back I’ll never know), Gourlay and Stam accountable for their ridiculous signings, we’ve never had such a big budget and it was blown on over inflating the squad with players on high wages and long contracts, and worst of all with awful attitudes not in the Reading mould. I actually feel for the owners for having the wool pulled over their eyes by Gourlay.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 21:04

Agree with the above but who has now convinced them on Gomes?

It may work out but it’s a huge huge gamble and not one that should have been taken at this point in time

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 01 Jan 2019 21:09

People are saying this transfer window is massive for us .....well which players in their right mind would want to come to us anyhow ? Unless of course they were offered ludicrous money which isn't going to happen. All we're going to attract is the dross that nobody else wants or some spiv dodgy agent palms off to us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 21:12

Best can hope for is shift out a load of shit and bring in a couple of high quality loans from Portugal

Noticed a few clubs going for that Stockley lad. Would be worth a look if we are planning for Div1 imo

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 01 Jan 2019 21:38

Gunny Fishcake At least Blackpool away is something to look forward to next season.

We were grimly staring into our pints of Guinness at half time when matey boy piped up: "Well, there's Blackpool to look forward to.... and Wycombe.... although the Pox will probably go down."

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jan 2019 22:07

Hound Feel that sacking PC really was a poor move, esp at that time. Weve looked certainties to go down ever since

There was no plan. Howe was set-up to sell a bright new future. Wonder how long before he's gone. Gomes appointment may have been an act of desperation. Sacking the entire coaching staff won't have helped club morale either.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 01 Jan 2019 22:07

23/02 Rotherham (h)
02/03 Ipswich (a)
09/03 Wigan (h)

That trio of games will probably determine our fate.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jan 2019 22:23

hughsies no.1 23/02 Rotherham (h)
02/03 Ipswich (a)
09/03 Wigan (h)

Only takes us to 29 points. Where are the other 15 going to come from? :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 22:23

hughsies no.1 23/02 Rotherham (h)
02/03 Ipswich (a)
09/03 Wigan (h)

I’d be surprised if we weren’t basically dead and buried by end of Feb tbh

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Jan 2019 00:33

In my 50 years supporting this club it`s impossible to recall a time when I`ve been so dejected by it all, it almost drives me to tears seeing where my club is now.
Even in the old div4 there were times when I looked forward to match day, and we used to bloody well win, now it`s hard to get the motivation to even walk out my front door.
I would dearly love to see us winning again on a fairly regular basis, but that doesn`t seem likely again any time soon after the shockingly bad 2018.
Are we going down? almost certainly.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Jan 2019 00:46

Hound Agree with the above but who has now convinced them on Gomes?

It may work out but it’s a huge huge gamble and not one that should have been taken at this point in time

If he does turn it round (looking like a big if after today but let's judge at the end of Jan as the transfer window can sometimes change things) I would be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong about him.
But I'm still puzzeled as to how a manager noone has heard of, with no experience in this country, and no consistency of managing any club has got the job!!!!!! Who will have plucked his name out of the air to actually get him involved with the club?

yuomi

by yuomi » 02 Jan 2019 01:10

This is no longer a football club, it hasn't been for a while. Instead, we are a fully fledged business. Since the Thais, and probably before, RFC has been a vehicle for making money with the notion of being a football club completely secondary and of little interest to those at the top of the pyramid.

Joorabchain was well in with Pairoj and his crew so I haven't the slightest doubt he's been on the scene for longer than anyone outside the club realises and his systemic corruption is well underway. For the foreseeable it will be a case of interminable dirge on the pitch while the money moves at an executive level. The tinfoil hat wearer in me feels there's probably skullduggery afoot, but I genuinely cba to even theorise what they might be up to.

I'd be angry that it's come to this, but it's scarcely worth it as there's nothing that I or any other fan can do to change it.

Oh and yes, we're definitely going down.

247 posts