New Manager

1436 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New Manager

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Dec 2018 09:07

alderdude Luis Castro (current Porto B manager) now listed as favorite through odds checker. Only a couple of bookies listed as giving prices on him, with sky bet listed as 11/10 and bet Victor listed as 7/4. Dont know anything about the guy, but it seems interesting a reletively unknown quantity coming in at a price that short. Could be something to this one.

He is the current manager of Vitoria de Guimaraes, and this is his third job since he left Porto B in 2016.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Dec 2018 09:10

sandman
Gunny Fishcake https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/23227108

Looks like we could be joining the let's have a Portuguese manager club

Luis Castro ?

Is that the the tippy tappy pattering of tiny tippy tappy football feet I hear?

Please god no, I've never heard of him and his record in Portugal seems highly unimpressive the high being Porto Reserves

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Dec 2018 09:13

Well at least a quick google on him helped me find where Ola John is playing nowadays

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Dec 2018 09:17

Snowflake Royal Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
Stam - 98 false third and master of his own demise
McDermott - 30 totally shafted and treated with no respect
Clarke - 53 never committed and made to look good by a Blackman purple patch
Adkins - 80 ruined by the Russian shyster's lack of support
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

I give the new guy between 15 and 40 games before he's sacked.

Listened to a podcast recently which discussed the effect a new manager can have and the stats to back up the 'bounce' effect and they said it shows if a new manager doesn't get the desired reaction from the players and a change in performance in his first 8 games you should get rid and start again

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Dec 2018 09:19

Hound Well at least a quick google on him helped me find where Ola John is playing nowadays

Dog and Duck 'B' in the South Hants Sunday League?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Dec 2018 09:21

Massively disappointed if Bruce gets it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Dec 2018 09:27

Winston Biscuit Massively disappointed if Bruce gets it.

Steady pair of hands, great success in the Championship. He's a boring appointment yes but we could do a lot worse and not really a lot better for me. I would much prefer a younger manager from League 1 or 2 personally but I wouldn't have too many complaints about Steve Bruce should he come here.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Dec 2018 09:32

Snowflake Royal Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

Safe bet. Anyone check the odds on that?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2018 09:32

Ian Holloway, Martin O'Neill or Chris Coleman anyone?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Dec 2018 09:33

Sutekh Ian Holloway, Martin O'Neill or Chris Coleman anyone?

F*ck off.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Dec 2018 09:33

Old Man Andrews
Hound Well at least a quick google on him helped me find where Ola John is playing nowadays

Vitoria where this Luis Castro chap is managing

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Dec 2018 09:34

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Vitoria where this Luis Castro chap is managing

Oh good he can bring Ola with him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Dec 2018 09:34

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Brain Traysers
To me it shows he has achieved average results at big clubs with a lot of spending (2 promotions, 1 playoff loss, 2 relegations). Taking established mid table in prem Sunderland down and failing to get Villa up with a budget way above anyone else in the league is not an impressive record. In only 3 of those 10 seasons he finished higher than the previous season (or where he took over), and 2 of those followed a promotion...

What would he do with no money to spend?

On average he has a net spend of £4 million a year. That’s not by any means excessive for a manager in the top flight or one challenging to get into the top flight.

But it required big big sales to achieve and didn't really benefit the team.

Yay. We could get someone in who achieved ok results if we can give him loads of money we don't have to bloat our already mercenary laden waster squad with more mercenary wasters.

Bruce is a big fat why the oxf*rd sack Clement if you're alternative is Bruce.

Bruce has a record of getting teams promoted, staying up, producing fight whereas Clement........ HTH

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Dec 2018 09:35

Old Man Andrews

Steady pair of hands, great success in the Championship. He's a boring appointment yes but we could do a lot worse and not really a lot better for me. I would much prefer a younger manager from League 1 or 2 personally but I wouldn't have too many complaints about Steve Bruce should he come here.

He is a poor man's Saggy Harry. Just a 'name' that like to throw money around and move from club to club. He has had some success yes, but much of that was based on his spending and his teams have never played attractive football.

Hope he carries on writing his novels if he comes here though

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Dec 2018 09:37

McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Just numbers and you are giving even more numbers, what does this even all mean.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Dec 2018 09:39

Winston Biscuit
Old Man Andrews

He is a poor man's Saggy Harry. Just a 'name' that like to throw money around and move from club to club. He has had some success yes, but much of that was based on his spending and his teams have never played attractive football.

Hope he carries on writing his novels if he comes here though

It is absolutely true he isn't the perfect candidate or probably anyones first choice but I would rather have an experienced pair of hands who knows the league rather than some bloke from Portugal who nobody has ever heard of at this time. If it was the start of June and you put Steve Bruce or Luis Castro in front of me I would choose Castro but due to it being nearly Christmas and due to the position we are in I would have to side with Bruce, we need that bit of experience at the moment.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Dec 2018 09:41

Old Man Andrews It is absolutely true he isn't the perfect candidate or probably anyones first choice but I would rather have an experienced pair of hands who knows the league rather than some bloke from Portugal who nobody has ever heard of

in my defence I didn't know we were limited to these 2 options only

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Dec 2018 09:44

Winston Biscuit
Old Man Andrews It is absolutely true he isn't the perfect candidate or probably anyones first choice but I would rather have an experienced pair of hands who knows the league rather than some bloke from Portugal who nobody has ever heard of

I mentioned the two as they are the current bookies favourite but yes of course there are other options.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Dec 2018 09:47

Old Man Andrews
Winston Biscuit

I mentioned the two as they are the current bookies favourite but yes of course there are other options.

Egil Olsen has some unfinished business in English football

Maybe that Fulham manager who used to rub cheese on his players injuries to make them heal quicker. I want him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Dec 2018 09:53

Winston Biscuit Maybe that Fulham manager who used to rub cheese on his players injuries to make them heal quicker. I want him.

Felix Magath? Another manager who looks like a Bond villian.

1436 posts