New Manager

1436 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: New Manager

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Dec 2018 16:21

Tilehurstsouthbank
Old Man Andrews
John Smith Quite a good beard to be fair.

OMA, if you were a manager would you be suit, tracksuit, bench coat, polo or other?

Fantastic question John, thats why you are one of my favourites.

I would go for a shirt and trouser with a long Russian military style coat.

Copy of the Communist Manifesto tucked in a side pocket?

I am Lenin.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 11 Dec 2018 16:21

[quote="DelBoyRodders"]Why on earth are we chasing after these unknown Portuguese blokes who will know nothing about our squad of players, the league we play in or even where Reading is?

Probably because Wolves won the league last season with a Portuguese manager and are doing well in the Premier League. So now suddenly Portuguese managers are probably in vogue. I am surprised we haven't been linked with a German.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 11 Dec 2018 16:25

From Despair To Where? Much as I love Parky, he would be a bit of a meh signing for me. An appointment for the now to shake things up and get us playing with a bit of heart and organisation but I just don't see him as a long term option to take us forward. A rich man's Martin Allen.

Thing is I agree with you about Parky long-term.....but I’d take him right now because I’m sure he’d keep us up. It wouldn’t be fun to watch and we’d get a few spankings from your Leeds etc.....but we’d stay up. Right now, I’d take that. Pereira is a firestorm waiting to happen.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Dec 2018 16:39

To be honest, every option seems at best to be a bit meh from where I'm standing. There's not a single one that makes me think "That would be a great appointment".

I'd love to see an appointment that can build something but the priority must be not getting relegated. It's a shit position we've put ourselves in and I reckon we'll be looking for a new manager again by this time next year, whatever happens.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 11 Dec 2018 16:42

Snowball Parky as a player is before my time but IMO, overall, he has a strong record of getting smaller clubs to do well

League 1 Colchester

2005-06 Automatic Promotion in Second Place

2006-07 Caretaker, then manager from Jan. Relegated
2007-08 Charlton 4th, Made Play-offs, losing on penalties in semis.

Sacked following Nov

League 2 Bradford City

2011-12 Manager of the Month

2011-12 Bradford. Semi-Final League Cup after beating Arsenal

2011-12 Bradford. Final League Cup after beating Premiership Villa 3-1

Lost final to Premiership Swansea

2011-12, Won Play-Off Final. Promoted to League 1

2014-15 FA Cup 4th Round - Won away at Chelsea from 2-0 down

Outstanding Managerial Award.

2014-15 FA Cup, also beat Sunderland and made Quarter Finals, losing to Reading

2015-16
Made League One Play-offs, lost to Millwall

League 1 Bolton

2016-17 Automatic Promotion with Bolton. Three times Manager of the Month.

All this despite a transfer embargo and enforced wage-cap.

2017-18 Favourites for relegation but kept Bolton up.

That's

Three promotions
Two Automatic Promotions - Three times made playoffs, W1 - L2

Final, League Cup
Quarter-Final FA Cup

Arguably the best-ever giant-killing come-back away win at Chelsea

Ropey stats there. You cant just ignore his misses - for instance his entire spell at Hull.

From another thread a few months ago (although, in retrospect Im a bit harsh myself on his Charlton reign)

Colchester - Undoubted good spell in charge. Gets them promoted from Division 1 but leaves before he can manage them in the Championship
Hull - A bit rubbish all round, really. Looks out of his depth
Charlton - Mostly assistant manager, but has a spell as caretaker manager. Doesnt win a game, Relegated.
Bradford - Two good cup runs. Fan favourite. Consistently top ten in Division 1. Doesnt get them promoted, though.
Bolton - Promoted from Division 1. Barely get out of bottom six all season in championship.

He's been doing this nearly 15 years now and youd be hard pressed to find any manager with more evidence of finishing somewhere between 35th and 50th in the country. We need to be aiming 10 places higher than that.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 11 Dec 2018 16:46

From Despair To Where? To be honest, every option seems at best to be a bit meh from where I'm standing. There's not a single one that makes me think "That would be a great appointment".

I'd love to see an appointment that can build something but the priority must be not getting relegated. It's a shit position we've put ourselves in and I reckon we'll be looking for a new manager again by this time next year, whatever happens.

Indeed +1
I think Aitor Karanka would have been a good fit for us, but we missed that boat.
The best situation for us now would be an experienced manager on a season and a half contract with an assistant manager who can take over in 2020. Of course managerial contracts dont work like that - I thought we would have learnt that before we make another sideways move.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 11 Dec 2018 16:46

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Snowball Parky as a player is before my time but IMO, overall, he has a strong record of getting smaller clubs to do well

League 1 Colchester

Sacked following Nov

League 2 Bradford City

2015-16

League 1 Bolton

That's

Three promotions

Final, League Cup
Quarter-Final FA Cup

Ropey stats there. You cant just ignore his misses - for instance his entire spell at Hull.

From another thread a few months ago (although, in retrospect Im a bit harsh myself on his Charlton reign)

Colchester - Undoubted good spell in charge. Gets them promoted from Division 1 but leaves before he can manage them in the Championship
Charlton - Mostly assistant manager, but has a spell as caretaker manager. Doesnt win a game, Relegated.
Bradford - Two good cup runs. Fan favourite. Consistently top ten in Division 1. Doesnt get them promoted, though.
Bolton - Promoted from Division 1. Barely get out of bottom six all season in championship.

He's been doing this nearly 15 years now and youd be hard pressed to find any manager with more evidence of finishing somewhere between 35th and 50th in the country. We need to be aiming 10 places higher than that.

Right now, 21st is our only target. Parky can do that in the short term.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Dec 2018 16:49

It's an interesting dilemma. Someone who could really change the RFC fingerprint
and have us play like a poor man's Wolves in a season and a half, might, built-in almost
cause a relegation.

If you had a crystal ball and (for example) a Portugese came in saying I can get
Reading promoted to the Premiership but it might take a relegation and TWO
promotions, would you take it?

For one thing, it might mean two great seasons where we push for 106 again.

Of course we could go down and fall apart (personally I think we'd be top six
at worst) but what if a very honest manager said that the change would take time
and the risk of going down was high?

Would Stam at his boring false-third best have saved Reading had he come in half-way through the season?

OTOH, IF we spend money, surely we only need a slight improvement to stay up and that ought to happen.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 11 Dec 2018 16:58

Sounds like we need a psycho now, to save the season, on the promise of a big bonus, to be replaced by a thinking man's manager at the end of the season! Where's Colin when you need him?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Dec 2018 17:03

Odds for Slavisa Jokanovic fascinates me because at 20/1 seems an outsider but that is exactly who we should be going for.

Excellent track record, rescued teams, promoted teams, knows the league, exciting football and is available. Its a no brainer.

Reading FC - what are you doing? Get this done and over the line.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Dec 2018 17:04

Dr_Hfuhruhurr

League 1 Colchester

Sacked following Nov

League 2 Bradford City

2015-16

League 1 Bolton

That's

Three promotions

Final, League Cup
Quarter-Final FA Cup

I wasn't trying to give a detailed cv of every single game for every single club. I mentioned he was in charge for Charlton's relegation. I didn't bother with Hull as it was very short indeed.

You call my stuff"ropey"and then you post this "Charlton - Mostly assistant manager, but has a spell as caretaker manager. Doesn't win a game, Relegated." The next season, after relegation, HE GOT THE CLUB TO FOURTH PLACE and lost in the play-offs!

And note he came into caretaker/full manager with a side in real trouble (previous manager sacked) -

Having some poor seasons is not the point, many good managers do, including Fergusson. The fact is he has got players punching above their weight, especially in the cups. and has won three promotions, plus two more play-off finishes.

Compare that record to Clement, Stan, Rodgers (when he came to us), McDermott (when he stepped in first time), Clarke. NONE of those had promotions on their CVs. Parky has three.

He should easily be good enough to get us out of the bottom six. With money, who knows what he might do?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 Dec 2018 17:17

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
From Despair To Where? To be honest, every option seems at best to be a bit meh from where I'm standing. There's not a single one that makes me think "That would be a great appointment".

Indeed +1
I think Aitor Karanka would have been a good fit for us, but we missed that boat.
The best situation for us now would be an experienced manager on a season and a half contract with an assistant manager who can take over in 2020. Of course managerial contracts dont work like that - I thought we would have learnt that before we make another sideways move.

How about, Martin O’Neill steadies the ship and John O’Shea takes over in 2020?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Dec 2018 17:19

How about No fcuking way.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Dec 2018 17:20

royalp-we
Dr_Hfuhruhurr

Indeed +1

Outdated, success going backwards, odious man, no thank you.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 Dec 2018 17:34

:lol: MON is far more successful in club football than the names being touted, aside from this Vitor Pereira bloke.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Dec 2018 17:36

paultheroyal
royalp-we
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Indeed +1

my chum once answered the phone to him

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Dec 2018 17:38

royalp-we :lol: MON is far more successful in club football than the names being touted, aside from this Vitor Pereira bloke.

Was, was is the word you are looking for. HTH. x

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Dec 2018 17:38

leon
paultheroyal
royalp-we

was he pig ignorant then too?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Dec 2018 17:38

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Ropey stats there. You cant just ignore his misses - for instance his entire spell at Hull.

In the context of a club struggling towards the bottom of the Championship. Seems to be just what we need. Our golden years are past. Time to regroup. At least would have a team that would play with passion.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 11 Dec 2018 17:42

leon
paultheroyal
royalp-we

GAY chat line?

1436 posts