New Manager

1436 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by Hound » 22 Dec 2018 09:19

Royal Rother About 1,000th of the words you have posted over the last 2 weeks on the subject.

Ha, burned :)

I’m a minor +1 on the original post

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 22 Dec 2018 09:21

Seems to be some debate about the salary/incentives for the new manager.

Anyone know what the previous packages have been?

Would previous Reading FC managers (post SJM) be on £1M + a year?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Dec 2018 09:28

Should imagine that the 11m Euros being touted around in the media for Castro would have included a hefty bonus for promotion to the PL not something like 4m Euro per annum for 3 years.

Either way a good job if you can get it.

Just have to support him and hope after a couple of months there is distinct improvement in the playing side....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 09:32

If this alleged €11m over two and a half years is accurate, I can't see more than about €3m being guaranteed.

Apparently, we are quadrupling his wage at Rio Ave and they operate on attendances averaging less than 4,000.

I mentioned the 4m a year and it being bullshit in response to comments that the agent must be creaming it or that the owners were on the fiddle.

I would imagine the 11m deal would be on the table for just about any candidate and that it is heavily performance related.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Dec 2018 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 22 Dec 2018 09:43

If the €10k a month figure for the current salary is in the right ballpark and we are quadrupling it, then £500k a year seems reasonable.

There will be heavy incentives and other elements to the big figure cited (possibly transfer and staff costs)

Am just speculating

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 22 Dec 2018 10:03

Snowflake Royal
nailseabiscuitman Getting quite depressed about the way people are approaching this appointment. Most comments are based on very little actual knowledge. So, ok we are getting a manager we know not a lot about but some of the language used towards him, if he read them he' d certainly change his mind about coming here. You nothing of the circumstances of the jobs hes been in, did he inherit a dodgy squad, did he have money to spend, did he do the job he was employed to do etc etc. It would appear we were actually going for a managed who was employed by a club rather than someone out of work so this is obviously fraught with periods as you are always in danger of being turned down, as per Castro. So now who would you prefer? Someone out of work, sacked as deemed not good enough at their last club?
So Bruce was denigrated on here on here but his record stood up t Slovanovic or had you not noticed just how poorly Fulham were playing.
Then we have Parkinson, loved him as a player but still a risk , or Ainsworth, hardly an instant success at Wycombe. Would people on here be patient enough with him or would we have been heading the way Ipswich were.
In my 57 years of watching Reading believe me I have seen some crap managers, but I've also seen the board take punts on people and it's really worked. I'd never heard of Jack Mansell but what a delight his football was.
So how about giving this guy a bit of support and stop looking for conspiracy theories about agents. You have absolutely no idea who was consulted in the selection process so get over yourselves and support him. You never know, he just might be what is needed

That's a lot of words to say 'he might be good, just have blind faith no matter what'.

Not blind faith but am prepared to give him a chance rather than blind rejection

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 10:37

JG's cv hardly gives cause for optimism though does it?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 10:58

Neither did Maurice Evans', or Ian Branfoot's, or Mark McGhee's, or Alan Pardew's, or Brian McDermott's. Brendan Rodgers' appointmemt met with popular approval though.

I guess what I'm saying is "Who knows?" Not saying he's going to be great, he's nowhere near my first choice but at least give him a chance.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Dec 2018 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 22 Dec 2018 11:03

That's true but who's does? Parkinson hasn't pulled up any trees and Ainsworth, while looking ok at the moment falls into the same category as the guy who went to Ipswich. Some managers do well at smaller teams but cant handle teams with bigger budgets. It's a lottery

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Dec 2018 11:22

From Despair To Where? Neither did Maurice Evans', or Ian Branfoot's, or Mark McGhee's, or Alan Pardew's, or Brian McDermott's. Brendan Rodgers' appointmemt met with popular approval though.

I don't recall them being condemned as poor choices, with people unable to fathom why they were selected.

I guess what I'm saying is "Who knows?" Not saying he's going to be great, he's nowhere near my first choice but at least give him a chance.

I think if we'd had a normal application process, and of all the candidates he was deemed to be the best option, there'd be far fewer complaints.

Unfortunately we seem to be in a situation where the clueless top brass have handed responsibility over to an agent, who unsurprisingly has looked for candidates on his books, so he can make some money out of the deal.

Or maybe they really are so stupid that they've seen Wolves have success with a Portuguese manager, and decided that having a Portuguese manager is therefore the way to go.

Yes he deserves support if he gets the job. Nobody is suggesting calling for his head before he even starts. It's just that it seems bizarre we are throwing a small fortune on a manager coming to a league he doesn't know, where he doesn't know the style of play, where he doesn't know the players he'll have to target in January, in a transfer market he doesn't know, being asked to manage a dysfunctional squad of players who often don't seem to care.

There's an awful lot stacked against him, and given that there's nothing is his managerial CV to fill you with confidence, it doesn't bode well.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 11:29

Recruitment, basic rules:-

Draw up a person specification and job specification

Measure candidates against established criteria

Ensure that relevant experience is available

Select short listed candidates and examine and interview in greater detail etc etc

With the club flirting with relegation we go with JG

Really???

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 22 Dec 2018 11:34

...as always

...entire Reading FC fan base hanging on the journos reports

...I won’t believe it until a HNA? confrimed thread is posted

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 22 Dec 2018 11:39

Where is it confirmed that this is all the doing of an agent? All these people are very successful, would they really have got that by being so naive as implied on here.?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2018 11:39

From Despair To Where? Neither did Maurice Evans', or Ian Branfoot's, or Mark McGhee's, or Alan Pardew's, or Brian McDermott's. Brendan Rodgers' appointmemt met with popular approval though.

Evans and Branfoot I can't comment. But I'd be really grateful if we could stop with the ludicrous apples and oranges comparisons... and the daft argument that it's invalid to think an appointment is poor just because an anecdotal sample of not comparable inexperienced managers did well.

McGhee - internal appointment, inexperienced manager, familiar with English leagues = nothing like comparable with Gomes
Pardew - internal appointment previously involved as a caretaker with little managerial experience but knowledge of the English leagues = nothing like Gomes
McDermott - internal appointment, with knowledge of the English leagues but no professional level management experience = nothing like Gomes
Rodgers - previous member of the coaching staff with managerial experience in the same division = nothing like Gomes.

In fact, I can't think of a single manager in RFC's history that is comparable to Gomes. Someone who is experienced at managing lesser teams in a lesser European league with no experience of the English Leagues and a record of never lasting long anywhere.

All this but what about x nonsense does absolutely nothing to address a single concern raised about Gomes' suitability or competence for the manager's job at Reading. It's just sticking your fingers in your ears and singing lalala whilst hoping for ... miracle is too strong, but it'll do.

And I've not seen anyone suggesting that if / when Gomes is appointed there should be protests, or booing or he should have no chance to prove what he can do. If / when he's manager he'll have to prove what he can do like anyone else. Bit if the club want our manager to get patience from the fans, they need to appoint someone who isn't woefully uninspiring. And don't expect people to pretend that Gomes is inspiring just to be positive.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 22 Dec 2018 11:49

IMO if they wanted a Portuguese set up - Paulo Sousa would have been inspiring. He’s without a club too - so no compo.

Jose Gomes appears an expensive gamble and his track record does not inspire me; he would really need to hit the ground running following fans concerns. We do have some egotistic players, will he command the respect which much of the fan base appear to have lost already :lol:

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 12:01

No profession can avoid relevant criteria to assist with the selection of appropriate candidates, not even football. JG looks, by all normal criteria like a poor choice, if he is appointed time will tell, but RFC will pay the price. For accuracy l have not suggested agent involvement, because l don't know, but l know a high risk strategy when l see one!

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 22 Dec 2018 12:04

Snowflake Royal

Evans and Branfoot I can't comment. But I'd be really grateful if we could stop with the ludicrous apples and oranges comparisons... and the daft argument that it's invalid to think an appointment is poor just because an anecdotal sample of not comparable inexperienced managers did well.

McGhee - internal appointment, inexperienced manager, familiar with English leagues = nothing like comparable with Gomes
Pardew - internal appointment previously involved as a caretaker with little managerial experience but knowledge of the English leagues = nothing like Gomes
McDermott - internal appointment, with knowledge of the English leagues but no professional level management experience = nothing like Gomes
Rodgers - previous member of the coaching staff with managerial experience in the same division = nothing like Gomes.

In fact, I can't think of a single manager in RFC's history that is comparable to Gomes. Someone who is experienced at managing lesser teams in a lesser European league with no experience of the English Leagues and a record of never lasting long anywhere.

All this but what about x nonsense does absolutely nothing to address a single concern raised about Gomes' suitability or competence for the manager's job at Reading. It's just sticking your fingers in your ears and singing lalala whilst hoping for ... miracle is too strong, but it'll do.

And I've not seen anyone suggesting that if / when Gomes is appointed there should be protests, or booing or he should have no chance to prove what he can do. If / when he's manager he'll have to prove what he can do like anyone else. Bit if the club want our manager to get patience from the fans, they need to appoint someone who isn't woefully uninspiring. And don't expect people to pretend that Gomes is inspiring just to be positive.

Erm. Jaap Stam anyone.

Also, the Portuguese top flight is not a bad league mate. The top 4 could play in the Prem and do ok. Most of the rest are mid to upper Champ standard with a couple of upper League One teams too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2018 12:06

Ranty McRantface
Snowflake Royal

Erm. Jaap Stam anyone.

Also, the Portuguese top flight is not a bad league mate. The top 4 could play in the Prem and do ok. Most of the rest are mid to upper Champ standard with a couple of upper League One teams too.

No first team management experience and had first hand knowledge of the English top flight at least. Next.

It's still a lesser European league not a top one. The Championship has more money and end to end competitiveness than most European top flights.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Dec 2018 12:14

And the quality of the Portuguese league?

I’m sure you’ve got an opinion on that.

(Ah, nice edit!) :D

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 22 Dec 2018 12:25

tmesis

I don't recall them being condemned as poor choices, with people unable to fathom why they were selected.

I think if we'd had a normal application process, and of all the candidates he was deemed to be the best option, there'd be far fewer complaints.

Unfortunately we seem to be in a situation where the clueless top brass have handed responsibility over to an agent, who unsurprisingly has looked for candidates on his books, so he can make some money out of the deal.

Or maybe they really are so stupid that they've seen Wolves have success with a Portuguese manager, and decided that having a Portuguese manager is therefore the way to go.

Yes he deserves support if he gets the job. Nobody is suggesting calling for his head before he even starts. It's just that it seems bizarre we are throwing a small fortune on a manager coming to a league he doesn't know, where he doesn't know the style of play, where he doesn't know the players he'll have to target in January, in a transfer market he doesn't know, being asked to manage a dysfunctional squad of players who often don't seem to care.

There's an awful lot stacked against him, and given that there's nothing is his managerial CV to fill you with confidence, it doesn't bode well.

Regarding the last but one paragraph. All those "dosen't know" will not matter one bit. He will just leave it all to his agent to recommend him the players on his books who will are available. You know, the likes of Sa, Hurtando etc. Oh dear.............

1436 posts