BFTG Boro Home

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Boro Home

by windermereROYAL » 22 Dec 2018 21:43

Must be some kind of football league record to have 8 black players in the starting eleven.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 22 Dec 2018 21:51

Lower West
Zip A brave but flawed selection. It was obvious Baldock alone up top was going to be totally ineffective. The youngsters all did well. If Bodvarsson is not fit why was he on the bench?

Not a 100% nor match fit. Little point in rushing players back. Lot of fixtures come close together.

How do you get match fit then if you can't play 30 mins you shouldn't be on the bench. How will he be any nearer match fit for the next games? Marshall for the first time wasn't making sense with his after match comments.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Dec 2018 22:27

paddy20
Lower West
Zip A brave but flawed selection. It was obvious Baldock alone up top was going to be totally ineffective. The youngsters all did well. If Bodvarsson is not fit why was he on the bench?

Not a 100% nor match fit. Little point in rushing players back. Lot of fixtures come close together.

How do you get match fit then if you can't play 30 mins you shouldn't be on the bench. How will he be any nearer match fit for the next games? Marshall for the first time wasn't making sense with his after match comments.

Would much rather see key players start the game, hopefully put us in a strong position and then be subbed if necessary, rather than be brought on when we are chasing the game (particularly when team confidence is currently so low).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Dec 2018 22:28

The comments were from after the Rotherham game

BBCRB pulled the tape but didn’t say

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Dec 2018 22:42

RoyalBlue
West Stand Man
Lower West Enjoyable performance despite the loss. The academy lads are testament to the poor recruitment policy in recent years. At least the team as a whole today played with a real spirit and tenacity. Full of character. Blackett has looked a different player in recent weeks. Lacked a target man upfront i.e. Meite.

Nothing though to suggest relegation isn't a real possibility now. Lack of experience and quality in the squad aren't gong to be resolved in the next 12 weeks. .

I also enjoyed the game, just not the result.

This was my first visit to Reading since the Burton game last Christmas. I have sworn not to waste my money on the long trip from the Cotswolds until there is something worth watching. There was more entertainment in the first 10 minutes of this game than the whole of the Burton game. I suspect that some of you have become so used to the crap that you are predetermined to judge it all as crap.

Jaakola seems to be shaping up as a pretty decent Championship keeper. A solid shot stopper and reasonable on the ball.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

He is a nervous wreck on the ball and, once again, the opposition quickly spotted it and started shutting down the short passes out from the back. He's not even great with his drop kicks which frequently go out of play if he's trying to hit a wide man.

I am increasingly feeling comfortable with him in goal. Not felt that in a while. Good shot stopper, commands the area fairly well. Donlt care about the kicking much

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Dec 2018 23:30

John Madejski's Wallet
RoyalBlue
West Stand Man

This was my first visit to Reading since the Burton game last Christmas. I have sworn not to waste my money on the long trip from the Cotswolds until there is something worth watching. There was more entertainment in the first 10 minutes of this game than the whole of the Burton game. I suspect that some of you have become so used to the crap that you are predetermined to judge it all as crap.

Jaakola seems to be shaping up as a pretty decent Championship keeper. A solid shot stopper and reasonable on the ball.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

He is a nervous wreck on the ball and, once again, the opposition quickly spotted it and started shutting down the short passes out from the back. He's not even great with his drop kicks which frequently go out of play if he's trying to hit a wide man.

I am increasingly feeling comfortable with him in goal. Not felt that in a while. Good shot stopper, commands the area fairly well. Donlt care about the kicking much

Totally agree. He is benefiting from a decent run in the team and looks confident. He comes out well for crosses and doesn’t flap.

Thought Blackett and Osho didn’t deserve to be on the losing side. I was impressed. Blackett showed a great deal of maturity.

Yet again we miss a defensive midfielder to shield the defence.

Sims was disappointing and should have been subbed after about 60 mins for Mccleary with Bodvarsson on for Baldock who was having a shit game. Bodvarsson showed movement and intent in the 10 mins he was on. He must start.

I’m imagining what havoc a Bodvarsson Meite front line could create in most Championship defences.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Dec 2018 00:41

leon I’m imagining what havoc a Bodvarsson Meite front line could create in most Championship defences.

Bodvarsson doesn't have tools to terrorise Championship defences. Need far more than a good work rate.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Dec 2018 01:24

Lower West
leon I’m imagining what havoc a Bodvarsson Meite front line could create in most Championship defences.

Bodvarsson doesn't have tools to terrorise Championship defences. Need far more than a good work rate.

I didn’t say terrorise I said cause havoc but my point stands. Bodvarsson was scoring goals as was Meite I’m ruminating on the potential of the partnership.

Plenty of strength, pace and height and a bit of guile.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 23 Dec 2018 08:32

One of the better performances this year and played with more passion than in the past.
Felt that we deserved at least a point.You could sense the inevitable cock up would cost us though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 09:25

Do like the Bacuna/Rino pairing (until Bacuna went to pieces in the last 15)

Where was Kelly btw? Not seen him mentioned at all. Dropped totally I assume?

If that had been a performance of a team who were accepting relegation and building for next year, I’d be quite encouraged. Sadly in terms of one fighting to stay up, a lot less so

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 23 Dec 2018 10:37

Sutekh
RG7Fan Worst ref of the season by a long way, and that's really saying something.

No. Coote was worse.

Which game was that?

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 23 Dec 2018 10:38

Hound Do like the Bacuna/Rino pairing (until Bacuna went to pieces in the last 15)

If that had been a performance of a team who were accepting relegation and building for next year, I’d be quite encouraged. Sadly in terms of one fighting to stay up, a lot less so

Where was Gunter?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 10:42

RG7Fan
Sutekh
RG7Fan Worst ref of the season by a long way, and that's really saying something.

No. Coote was worse.

Which game was that?

Brizzle wasn't it?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Dec 2018 10:49

We huffed and puffed but to no avail, with the new manager watching , he now realises the challenge in hand . Thought the youngsters did well in difficult circumstances.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 23 Dec 2018 11:36

RG7Fan
Hound Do like the Bacuna/Rino pairing (until Bacuna went to pieces in the last 15)

Where was Gunter?

At home watching soccer Saturday with Kelly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 12:00

RG7Fan

Where was Gunter?

Groin strain.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Dec 2018 12:04

RoyalBlue
paddy20
Lower West

Would much rather see key players start the game, hopefully put us in a strong position and then be subbed if necessary, rather than be brought on when we are chasing the game (particularly when team confidence is currently so low).

Absolutely-IMHO you are far more likely to get injured after doing a few strolls alongside the touchline and coming on than by starting a game with all the intensive warm-up.

Knowing that 'Boro have a back 4 of giants (it seems so often that we don't know the strength of the opposition and presumably the new manager will know even less-btw Cooper is about 6ft 7in. and comes up for corners) I would have started with Bod to have a semblance of an aerial attacking threat.
He would also have been useful defending set-pieces which we somehow got away with in the first half.
Thank goodness also that Shotton got injured.

Mc Cleary and Swift, 2 of our better players recently left on the bench-why?
It was as if Marshall was keeping in with his U23 players by giving them a game, knowing that he would have some of them back for the rest of the season.
I don't rate O'Shea but we are paying £1million in wages-why on earth did we buy him?

A lot of the BFTG comments are the same as in recent weeks, on the lines of "we played o.k., deserved a point and would definitely have got something out of the game if the ref hadn't been so biased".
Apparently that was the tone of the recent Sunderland film fans thought it would all come good next week-one day Rodney etc.

The new manager has a massive job-he will be a hero if he can get us to avoid relegation.

BTW, on the youngsters, a really good performance from Osho (that run alone will last in the memory for some time and endear him to the fans), Rhino good again, Loader non-descript but looks to be being played out of position and Sims just doesn't do enough and needs to toughen up.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 23 Dec 2018 12:14

West Stand Man
Lower West Enjoyable performance despite the loss. The academy lads are testament to the poor recruitment policy in recent years. At least the team as a whole today played with a real spirit and tenacity. Full of character. Blackett has looked a different player in recent weeks. Lacked a target man upfront i.e. Meite.

Nothing though to suggest relegation isn't a real possibility now. Lack of experience and quality in the squad aren't gong to be resolved in the next 12 weeks. .

Yiadom will be what we want, once he gets the support he should do down the right hand side. Blackett was MoM today by a country mile, his risk taking nearly always came off and his anticipated errors didn't materialise. Osho had, possibly, one of the best debuts any Academy player has had. Richards did well too, it is good to have a left back in the left back position.

Not over impressed with Sims. He wasn't helped by being sent high balls to cope with while being the shortest player on the pitch. Rinomhota looks class, hard working, strong on the ball and picks a decent pass. Barrow had the full backs running scared but had absolutely nothing to aim for in the middle. Bacuna was ok too, nothing outstanding but gave his all.

Loader struggled a bit and was more of an attacking midfielder than a forward. Baldock made some excellent runs into spaces in the penalty area but otherwise added little.

As to the comment at the start of the thread saying that Boro played 10-0-1, that is so wrong. Even at 1-0 up they had 3 up front and were pressing. That said, I thought they were pretty average overall and were there for the taking. But for a moment of madness on the left, when 2 players went to close down one isolated Boro player leaving a gap the size of Hampshire behind them, we were worth at least one point. Sadly that moment happened though!

If I were the incoming manager I would be reasonably confident that I had a good collection of individuals. My concern would be why those individuals are not bonding into a unit. I might also want to get a target man to augment Meite and give an outlet up front. There are 23 games to go, get it right and we settle mid table. Get it wrong and we are in League 1 next season.

Spot on West Stand Man. Can't disagree with anything you've said here. It really is strange how wildly different people view a game.

I've said it for weeks. We're not that shit we're just massively lacking in confidence, it was a breath of fresh air to see the u23s starting yesterday, albeit enforced through injuries, such enthusiasm and effort, great to see. Meite and Loader up front together will be brilliant, fingers crossed we get to see it before long.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Dec 2018 14:03

Think Loader has been playing too deep. I was hoping yesterday that he played further forward as it looks like he’s a decent finisher, and have Baldockmplaying more as the 10 and dropping into midfield when needed as he’s got a good engine

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2018 16:20

RG7Fan
Sutekh

No. Coote was worse.

Which game was that?

It was either Stoke or SheffieldU