BFTG United (A)

202 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG United (A)

by Zip » 05 Jan 2019 17:21

leon From what I saw on a schonky stream Utd sat back, we passed crisply but were untroubled, gave the ball away too easily in the attacking third and didn’t have a striker working the box.

Really needed Bod in there.

Need a large, dirty striker. Madine from Cardiff on loan would work but it looks like he’s going to Sheffield Utd.

Our final ball was poor.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Jan 2019 17:22

The perfect game for us really.
Away from home at Premier league giants, no pressure or expectation making it easy for the kids to go out and play their football.

That said they did it very well indeed. Impressed with the composure and style out there.

Let down by VAR and the usual mistake leading to a goal aside were decent and it feels like we have improved a bit already. We just need to get a win.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2019 17:23

2 world wars, 1 world cup 3) Loader. He's only young, but very promising with his movement and his pace. BUT WE NEED A STRIKER (or three). Anyone remember Roberts changing our fortunes overnight?

4) WE NEED A LEFT BACK. I'm shocked that since I started a new thread on this years ago we STILL DONT HAVE ONE. Anyone remember how simply getting a (relatively) good left back (Robinson for Gurney) Pardew's pants team was changed overnight? Obita was turned into one and tbf he is a good one, but he's not around. RIchards is currently even more of a liability than Blackett is/was (2 Swansea goals and today penalty and AWOL for their second) and hopefully needs more time.

We need to work with the players that we've got. Unless they play regularly not going to regain fitness nor match experience. When Nicky Shorey first arrived was often caught out of position and in possession, likewise Kevin Doyle couldn't hit a barn door. We are a long term work in progress. Nor do we have the money to splash around. That's if anyone would come anyway.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jan 2019 17:25

2 world wars, 1 world cup 1) Penalty: I don't fully get to be honest... if we foul whilst they are fouling does it count? Like, for the pass just before Lukaku was in an offside position and the pass itself was offside as the foul came in... my head is hurting. But yeah they deserved the pen and the goal anyway.

What matters is which offence is committed first. As far as I can tell, the foul was committed before Fred touched the ball, so it is a penalty. A "pass" cannot be offside, only a player. It's not an offence to pass to someone in an offside position, it's an offence to interfere with play, interfere with an opponent, or gain an advantage having been in an offside position when a team mate was the last person to play the ball.

Sequence of events was like this:

1) Ball comes into Mata. Lukaku is in an offside position, but isn't interfering with play or an opponent so hasn't committed an offence.
2) Mata plays a pass to Fred, who is in an offside position.
3) Richards trips Mata. Foul.
4) Fred controls the ball and scores.

As Fred was offside, it is correct to disallow the goal. This means that there is no advantage following the foul, which happened before Fred interfered with play in an offside position. That means that it is a penalty.

Both decisions correct, and pretty much only possible due to VAR.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Jan 2019 17:26

Old Man Andrews
leon From what I saw on a schonky stream Utd sat back, we passed crisply but were untroubled, gave the ball away too easily in the attacking third and didn’t have a striker working the box.

Really needed Bod in there.

Need a large, dirty striker. Madine from Cardiff on loan would work but it looks like he’s going to Sheffield Utd.

You know who I'd love back here? Orlando Sa. That bloke put himself about and could score goals.

I'd also take Peter Crouch on loan too.

Yeah a tall, dirty target man who our wingers can aim at. Dont care about nice football, pass the ball from defence to wide midfield quickly and hit 45 degree diagonals to our strikers. Win knock downs. Try and score some goals.

Hard work, organisation and plenty of cynicism.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 05 Jan 2019 17:27

2 world wars, 1 world cup the spirit, the tenacity, the fight.

I see what you almost did there... :wink:

And why you changed it...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jan 2019 17:39

Old Man Andrews You know who I'd love back here? Orlando Sa. That bloke put himself about and could score goals.

TBH, we've missed him for ages. A real shame he never settled here

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Jan 2019 17:54

SCIAG
2 world wars, 1 world cup 1) Penalty: I don't fully get to be honest... if we foul whilst they are fouling does it count? Like, for the pass just before Lukaku was in an offside position and the pass itself was offside as the foul came in... my head is hurting. But yeah they deserved the pen and the goal anyway.

What matters is which offence is committed first. As far as I can tell, the foul was committed before Fred touched the ball, so it is a penalty. A "pass" cannot be offside, only a player. It's not an offence to pass to someone in an offside position, it's an offence to interfere with play, interfere with an opponent, or gain an advantage having been in an offside position when a team mate was the last person to play the ball.

Sequence of events was like this:

1) Ball comes into Mata. Lukaku is in an offside position, but isn't interfering with play or an opponent so hasn't committed an offence.
2) Mata plays a pass to Fred, who is in an offside position.
3) Richards trips Mata. Foul.
4) Fred controls the ball and scores.

As Fred was offside, it is correct to disallow the goal. This means that there is no advantage following the foul, which happened before Fred interfered with play in an offside position. That means that it is a penalty.

Both decisions correct, and pretty much only possible due to VAR.

I think your analysis is spot on.
Without VAR we’d have got away with it and it was a very tight call.
Personally I would rather we let the officials get on with making decisions as it is a very slippery slope to start assessing everything in slow motion and from multiple angles down to tiny fractions.
But youcannotdeny that in this case the ‘correct’ decision was made.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jan 2019 17:55

genome
Old Man Andrews You know who I'd love back here? Orlando Sa. That bloke put himself about and could score goals.

TBH, we've missed him for ages. A real shame he never settled here

Wasn't it his Mrs who hated it here and made him put in a transfer request? He was a real animal at times, defenders couldn't cope with him.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 05 Jan 2019 17:55

I agreed that we looked like a team that has the skill and pace to become a real attacking force.

But then it's hard to know how much of that is 'real'; we were playing against a completely make-shift team that was happy to let us have the ball and run as they knew that they could take us apart at the back at any point. Compare that to a hardened Championship side that plays together week in, week out and will be quick to close us down and kick legs at every opportunity.

Man Utd pretty much showed us as little respect as possible and still beat us without getting out of first gear.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Jan 2019 17:58

Elm Park Kid
Man Utd pretty much showed us as little respect as possible and still beat us without getting out of first gear.

That didn`t take long, oh seriously yawn. whenever teams we dominate it`s always the other team that plays badly and not us playing well.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Jan 2019 17:59

leon
Old Man Andrews Yeah a tall, dirty target man who our wingers can aim at. Dont care about nice football, pass the ball from defence to wide midfield quickly and hit 45 degree diagonals to our strikers. Win knock downs. Try and score some goals.

So Bod then.

Don't think Gomes likes the idea of a tall striker

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG United (A)f

by Nameless » 05 Jan 2019 17:59

Elm Park Kid I agreed that we looked like a team that has the skill and pace to become a real attacking force.

But then it's hard to know how much of that is 'real'; we were playing against a completely make-shift team that was happy to let us have the ball and run as they knew that they could take us apart at the back at any point. Compare that to a hardened Championship side that plays together week in, week out and will be quick to close us down and kick legs at every opportunity.

Our team was also pretty makeshift. New defensive midfield combination, main striker an 18 year old playing out of position, attacking midfield combination 2/3 made up of players barely out of rehab.
You have to give our players credit, although it does seem some people are really disappointed that we weren’t stuffed out of sight

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jan 2019 18:03

John Madejski's Wallet
leon
Old Man Andrews Yeah a tall, dirty target man who our wingers can aim at. Dont care about nice football, pass the ball from defence to wide midfield quickly and hit 45 degree diagonals to our strikers. Win knock downs. Try and score some goals.

So Bod then.

Don't think Gomes likes the idea of a tall striker

Nah he isn't aggressive enough, it's why he isn't a top level striker. We need a proper shithouse who bullies defenders.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2019 18:18

Nameless You have to give our players credit, although it does seem some people are really disappointed that we weren’t stuffed out of sight

Not at all. Gomes needs to establish a settled side sooner rather than later. Would have learnt a lot more if Utd had of pressurised us as Championship sides will do.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 Jan 2019 18:26

Nameless Some people are really disappointed that we weren’t stuffed out of sight

Prolly the same one's who were proven wrong when they predicted we'd lose at least 8-0
Didn't hear too much about a 'make shift' Utd team then, or that Utd would 'let us play' and make it easy for us.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2019 18:36

Even a ‘makeshift’ Man U team should’ve been capable of smashing us, they didn’t.

Well done all involved today, reignited some interest.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2019 18:36

Every single Utd player had a big point to prove today

No chance they took it easy

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2019 18:43

AthleticoSpizz Even a ‘makeshift’ Man U team should’ve been capable of smashing us, they didn’t.

Perhaps Ole isn't the new Messiah then. I doubt a Mourinho team would have put in such a limp performance. With no improvement at half time.

Must have been a long time since we've had three naturally left footed players on the pitch at the same time. Aluko, Richards and Harriott. We looked far better balanced today as a unit. Wonder if this was a contributing factor.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 05 Jan 2019 18:49

If we can build on today, we will stay up. However playing in one of largest stadiums in the country, with 3,500 away fans supporting you is probably easier to get motivated for than 400 odd in p***ing cold rain in Rotherham. The big test is now if we carry this forward or revert to type.

202 posts