Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Clear out started

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 17:42

Hound
URZZZZ What an absolute waste of time the summer was

Walker - never plays
Yiadom - done quite well tbf but we were after him for a long time
O'Shea - OK as a backup but we needed to sign someone younger and better considering we already had the "old pro" in McShane
Meyler - never plays
Eza - permanently injured
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back
Baldock - underwhelming, doesn't feature anymore

So out of 8 signings, one has been a success, two have been meh, one has been injured the entire time and the other four have barely had a kick

Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

Yep, in retrospect the last summer window was appalling. The one before that not much better, though arguably Barrow and Bacuna were decent enough signings at the price

See I think several of those signings were speculative with a view to the future rather than for immediate impact, so weren't that bad.

I think the idea was get rid of what we could and try to change the culture and work on what we had. Meyler was obviously a disaster and O'Shea pointless from the start.

In retrospect, yeah poor. I think Baldock's been ok and certainly improved us given our total dearth of options before, McNulty to a far lesser extent. Yiadom has not only improved on our previous best fullback he's given us actual options there again. Eza has been quality when fit, you can't really criticise a signing for getting injured on International duty.

But it seemed a decent summer at the time. I'd sau the previous one was far worse. Lots of expensive players known for underperforming or having attitude problems. I don't think Barrow, Aluko or Bacuna have been good value at all. They were supposed to get us up, not take us down. At least last summer's signings were only supposed to help us fight clear of releqgation.

Gomes is doing good work clearing out the squad. I doubt he'd have had the same leeway to do so in the summer with an extra six months of pay on contract too. And Gourlay here.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jan 2019 17:45

URZZZZ Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

Problems started when Clarke was here. All those loan signings. Blowing the Thai's budget on a one off promotion gamble. McD never had a chance to recruit. We were threadbare away at Blackburn on the last day of that season. Ever since we've struggled to have a settled balanced team. Only real top class player we've had is Yann. As could produce something out of nothing.

No guarantee that Gomes will be able to attract quality players permanently. Nor that any that do come settle in. We'll see how good a coaching team they are with the younger ones. As that's where much of the future must lie.
Last edited by Lower West on 07 Jan 2019 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 17:46

If Barrow and Bacuna were both in the 1 to 1.5m area, they have been decent enough at that price tbh. Barrow particularly, though he has been poor this year

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 17:47

We need the three M’s off the books next. Meyler, McShane and Mannone but who the hell will take an injured McShane off our hands? It looks like a fourth M has been transfer listed too so McNulty might go too. Would like to see O’Shea go as well. If those five go we can then bring in another three or four. Even then the squad is still on the heavy side.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jan 2019 17:49

When is McShane`s contract up?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 17:50

Lower West
URZZZZ Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

Problems started when Clarke was here. All those loan signings. Blowing the Thai's budget on a one off promotion gamble. McD never had a chance to recruit. We were threadbare away at Blackburn on the last day of that season. Ever since we've struggled to have a settled balanced team. Only real top class player we've had is Yann. As could produce something out of nothing.

Yes McDermott was not given a proper chance. I also think Adkins was totally screwed over having to sell ALF and Morrison with Drenthe forced upon him. Little wonder we started to struggle.
God knows how much we paid in loan fees under Clarke. The likes of Vydra and Ola John won’t have come cheap.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 17:53

windermereROYAL When is McShane`s contract up?

June I believe

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 17:55

I'd also add that whilst it's great Gomes has transfer listed the McShane, Mannone and Meyler, it doesn't mean they'll go anywhere.

Given Clement signed Walker and extended Jaakkola it's not unreasonable to consider that he may have been trying to shift Mannone. And he certainly dropped Meyler and McShane like hot potatoes too.

Hopefully Gomes will have more success but I fear of the four Ms the one most likely to go is the one whose likely cheapest and most likely to be useful next season in League One. And we'll still be paying at least two of the other three come Feb.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jan 2019 18:04

You’d think the one almost certain to go is McShane.
Hard to think of a scenario in which he is still clocking on at the end of January.
If the options are
1. We pay off his contract now and let him find a club as a free agent
2. We keep paying his wages until June with him having no chance of finding a club
Why is 1 not the default ?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jan 2019 18:07

Zip
windermereROYAL When is McShane`s contract up?

June I believe

Then pay it up. I`m convinced nobody will come in for him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 18:14

Nameless You’d think the one almost certain to go is McShane.
Hard to think of a scenario in which he is still clocking on at the end of January.
If the options are
2. We keep paying his wages until June with him having no chance of finding a club

Which why it's odd Edwards is mutual and McShane's listed.

Best guess McShane has no options and won't settle, but we don't want to pay full contract so it's a game of brinkmanship and hopefully we'll cough up whatever necessary at the end of the window. But Don't hold your breath

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 18:17

Snowflake Royal
If the options are

Best guess McShane has no options and won't settle, but we don't want to pay full contract so it's a game of brinkmanship and hopefully we'll cough up whatever necessary at the end of the window. But Don't hold your breath

That’s how I see it. Edwards has probably taken a big pay cut but that will have been eased by signing a deal until summer 2021.He also still lives in the Shrewsbury area so the deal made sense. I can’t see any offers for McShane coming in so he will want his contract paid off. As Windermere says we may have to agree it to get shot of him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 18:25

Zip
Snowflake Royal
If the options are

That’s how I see it. Edwards has probably taken a big pay cut but that will have been eased by signing a deal until summer 2021.He also still lives in the Shrewsbury area so the deal made sense. I can’t see any offers for McShane coming in so he will want his contract paid off. As Windermere says we may have to agree it to get shot of him.

Yeah, I'd put money on us making up Edwards' Shrewsbury wage to the basic level we paid him at until at least the end of the season, maybe longer if he wasn't due to expire in June.

Saves us money, gets him out the squad and he's where he wants to be no worse off.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 07 Jan 2019 18:30

Vito not happy with being listed and ostracised according to social media post

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 18:32

Linden Jones' Tash Vito not happy with being listed and ostracised according to social media post

Good. He can put some effort into oxf*rd off then.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 18:49

Linden Jones' Tash Vito not happy with being listed and ostracised according to social media post

Personally I would rather we got shot of Walker. Mannone messed up against Derby but his penalty saves against QPR and Leeds last season were vital in our staying up.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Jan 2019 19:09

Can't find what was said?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Jan 2019 19:11

Hound
genome
Hound
Yep, in retrospect the last summer window was appalling. The one before that not much better, though arguably Barrow and Bacuna were decent enough signings at the price

Of our 17 signings since the play-off final, I'd count only 4 as a success. Bodvarsson, Barrow, Bacuna and Yiadom.

I'd say our recruitment has been a huge contributor to our downfall since Wembley.

Walker is ok as back up imo on a free.

IIRC his ability with his feet and distribution is even worse than Jaakola. Another duff signing from Clement, who knew him. There are far, far, better keepers than him warming benches around the country.

Snowflake Royal I'd also add that whilst it's great Gomes has transfer listed the McShane, Mannone and Meyler, it doesn't mean they'll go anywhere.

Given Clement signed Walker and extended Jaakkola it's not unreasonable to consider that he may have been trying to shift Mannone. And he certainly dropped Meyler and McShane like hot potatoes too.

I would have preferred to keep Mannone than Walker. As for Meyler, wasn't he one of the big character leaders that Clement said he wanted to bring in?!

Snowflake Royal
Hound
URZZZZ What an absolute waste of time the summer was

Walker - never plays
Yiadom - done quite well tbf but we were after him for a long time
O'Shea - OK as a backup but we needed to sign someone younger and better considering we already had the "old pro" in McShane
Meyler - never plays
Eza - permanently injured
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back
Baldock - underwhelming, doesn't feature anymore

So out of 8 signings, one has been a success, two have been meh, one has been injured the entire time and the other four have barely had a kick

Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

See I think several of those signings were speculative with a view to the future rather than for immediate impact, so weren't that bad.

I think the idea was get rid of what we could and try to change the culture and work on what we had. Meyler was obviously a disaster and O'Shea pointless from the start.

In retrospect, yeah poor. I think Baldock's been ok and certainly improved us given our total dearth of options before, McNulty to a far lesser extent. Yiadom has not only improved on our previous best fullback he's given us actual options there again. Eza has been quality when fit, you can't really criticise a signing for getting injured on International duty.

But it seemed a decent summer at the time. I'd sau the previous one was far worse. Lots of expensive players known for underperforming or having attitude problems. I don't think Barrow, Aluko or Bacuna have been good value at all. They were supposed to get us up, not take us down. At least last summer's signings were only supposed to help us fight clear of releqgation.

Really? When was that every stated?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jan 2019 19:17

CountryRoyal

Can't find what was said?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 19:19

RoyalBlue
Hound
genome
Of our 17 signings since the play-off final, I'd count only 4 as a success. Bodvarsson, Barrow, Bacuna and Yiadom.

I'd say our recruitment has been a huge contributor to our downfall since Wembley.

Walker is ok as back up imo on a free.

IIRC his ability with his feet and distribution is even worse than Jaakola. Another duff signing from Clement, who knew him. There are far, far, better keepers than him warming benches around the country.

Snowflake Royal I'd also add that whilst it's great Gomes has transfer listed the McShane, Mannone and Meyler, it doesn't mean they'll go anywhere.

I would have preferred to keep Mannone than Walker. As for Meyler, wasn't he one of the big character leaders that Clement said he wanted to bring in?!

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Really? When was that every stated?

I prefer Walker, who may get better and will be cheaper, to Mannone who won't and will be expensive. And is older. Each to their own.

Meyler was indeed our big hope. Failed - some signings do, and was dropped and replaced almost instantly.

When was what ever stated?
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 07 Jan 2019 19:21, edited 2 times in total.

211 posts